“Our stay in the Banyan Tree”
Review of Banyan Tree Phuket

Banyan Tree Phuket
Ranked #19 of 96 Hotels in Thalang District
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Our stay in the Banyan Tree”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

First time we have stayed in the Banyan Tree or even Phuket for that matter. What a wonderful place, I would highly recommend anyone to stay. The pool villa's are amazing, so quiet with everything you could possible want. All staff are friendly and cannot do enough to help. Plenty of placers to dine and the food is exceptional. The beach is right on your doorstep and there are numerous bars and restaurants stretched along the beach. A leg massage is a must.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear petapp,

Thank you for spending your first time holiday in Phuket at the Banyan Tree!

I am very pleased to read that your overall experience at our Pool Villa, the restaurant outlets, the beach and the staff in general was exceptional. It is always motivating to be recognised for providing excellent service and knowing that we have done our part in making your stay special. Your recommendations will go a long way and are greatly appreciated.

For a truly special time with your significant other, I would highly recommend you our Banyan Tree Spa Sanctuary for your next trip! It is the most peaceful and tranquil batch of villas. I would be happy to personally handle your next booking.

Sriram Kailasam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Genesee, Colorado
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We just spent a relaxing week at the Phuket Banyan Tree. We stayed in a deluxe bungalow as that was the only type of room available. It was spacious with a wonderful private courtyard. We had asked for a quiet room and were not disappointed. The room was fine but a bit dated. The outdoor bathtub is novel but not real practical. The bed was comfortable but at floor level making it a bit of an exercise to get in and out of it. The other facilities like the pool and spa were great. The gym was average and could use some updating. That being said the staff more than made up for any deficiency offering help and support to ensure you a good workout no matter what your pleasure or exercise style. The restaurants were super and our favorite was the Thai restaurant (Saffron). The Tre ( Vietnamese) restaurant was good but we felt it was a bit overpriced. Cocktails everywhere were excellent (lobby bar and the restaurants). The beach is great for walking and playing in the waves. Staff were on hand for towels, refreshment, etc. The golf course is undergoing a renovation so only 9 marginal holes are available to play and they still charged 3000 tht which was not a good value. I have to say the entire Banyan Tree staff was fantastic from start to finish. They are kind, responsive, efficient and made our stay top notch. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: If you want to play golf try Red Mountain or Blue Canyon golf courses...these were good!
1 Thank D T
Dear D T,

Thank you very much for your detailed review on your recent stay at the Banyan Tree Phuket resort, we are glad that you enjoyed a relaxing week with us!

Kind, responsive and efficient are outstanding compliments for our associates, I will be sure to share them with our entire team as nothing motivates us more than honest words of appreciation!
We are also happy to read that you enjoyed the different cuisines served at our restaurants, particularly the picant Thai delicacies from our signature restaurant Saffron!

It is however truly unfortunate that you were not able to play all 18 holes on Laguna Phuket’s golf club during your stay as the course is currently receiving a full upgrade in order to enhance the overall experience for our golfers. The renovation will be completed by the beginning of 2015, we hope you will revisit us then to experience and enjoy the fully revamped Laguna Phuket Golf Club!

For your next visit, please do also highlight your need for a higher bed as it is of no problem for our team to increase the height of our traditional Thai beds in order to ensure you the highest level of comfort.

Thank you once more for your great feedback and for recommending the Banyan Tree Phuket to all fellow travelers on Tripadvisor, we hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,
London
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Arrived in Phuket and once you get into the Laguna complex you know that you have left the rest of Phuket behind you as the grass verges are all well trimmed and the place becomes a wonderful setting.
Arriving at Banyan Tree and booking into the hotel was easy and generally straight forward.

I had though that I had requested from my travel agent a double pool villa as I had read so many positive reviews about this type of villa unfortunatley my travel agent sent me a link that showed the website for Banyan tree and not advertising the double room villa's.

The room I stayed in was room 505 a Pool Villa room.

Air Conditioning,
At the commencemet of my stay I had left the air conditioning on during the night this was a mistake that I believe other reviewers have mentioned as it gave me a cold/chest infection as the air is blown directly at you as you sleep.
Mosquito's
I have never been bitten so much ever when at any resort and I bought my own spray to compliment the defences already provided in the room but nevertheless I found what the hotel provided to be poor.
Flooding
The flat roof area flooded the room twice during heavy rain at night on both occassions this was fixed/attended quickly and efficiently by the staff but made me wander as to the general safety of the room allocated.
We stayed at this resort for ten days, the hotel was kept very clean and the gardens kept in immaculate order. within the room the pool and garden area was attended to on a daily basis.
The resturants within the complex I found to be expensive in comparison to the resturants that could be found locally or if you wished to go into Phuket town but this would involve an expensive cab ride into town and back. some resturants would offer a shuttle service if booked in advance.

Room Tip: If you are to go to Banyan Tree Phuket go for a Double Pool Villa would not recommend the pool villa
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear mauricemaria;

Thanks for a balanced review about your most recent stay with us. I am glad that you found our resort neat, clean and the entire Laguna complex well maintained. This has been one of the key attractions apart from the quality of the individual hotels. I was sorry to hear about the confusion where your agent booked you into a Pool villa but, sent images of the DoublePool villa. It is unfortunate that this happened and we have reached out to our regional marketing offices to talk to agencies and ensure that they are using the right images. I realize this set the holiday on the wrong foot through no fault of yours or ours.

Regarding your comments on the air-conditioning, it is a shame that we were not aware of the discomfort caused by the air-conditioner. It is fairly simple to change the direction of the blades on the cover. I am sorry that you had a chest infection due to this. As regards to the leak during heavy rain, I am glad the team fixed it immediately as it was due to a blocked pipe and not from the roof. Our engineers fixed it as soon as the villa became available.
Concerning the mosquito bites, I am sorry to read that the protection we offer did not work as well as it does with other guests. Our fogging treatment is exercised twice a month in order to minimize to the lowest possible the presence of mosquitoes. However, being in the tropics increases the possibility of this kind of reactions, particularly for someone with sensitive skin. This is the reason why we have on request mosquito nets as an additional protection.

You have made a very important point about pricing in the resort vs local restaurants, travel time, cost and also quality. While we may not be the cheapest, we do aim to provide excellent quality and value for money. Of course, we appreciate that guests have more choices on where they dine and we are very aware of the competition, thanks for reminding us of this.

Dear mauricemaria, we do appreciate your useful review and your recommendation to stay in our DoublePool Villa, in which I hope you will have the opportunity to stay in for another 10-day vacation and to share with the world your impressions as well. For us, it would be an honor to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Phuket.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed at banyan tree phuket already 3 times and every time is an unforgettable experience. This place is really heaven on earth. The spa pool villa is the best there is, service is impeccable and staff is perfect.

Room Tip: If you can choose for the spa pool villa go for 211
1 Thank Count_of_Ascalon
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Count_of_Ascalon,

Thank you for your continuous patronage, it is great to read that we can still create the “Magic” for you! We are thankful that you shared your encouraging comments with the world about the service of our associates. We do look forward to have the privilege of welcoming you for the fourth time at our Banyan Tree Spa Sanctuary; the ideal villa for the Spa- and relaxation seeking guests or idyllic for the Honeymooners.

Chelmsford, MA
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My family of 4 were travelling across Asia for 21 days and we ended our odyssey in Phuket. We made our reservations through American Express and were delighted to be upgraded to the Double Pool Villas. Our overall experience at the Banyan Tree was marvellous. Although we were there in the rainy season - we had a fantastic time. The excursion group in the hotel did a great job keeping us active depending on the weather situation. We had a great boat trip with a very small group out to James Bond Island and the kayaks through the limestone outcroppings. The ATVs through the jungle was great fun - and my teen daughters loved that they got to drive their own bikes. Overall, it was a very active but peaceful way to end a long trek through Asia. We never did go into the town - we stuck around the hotel and relaxed. And it was very good indeed!

Room Tip: If you can get to the double pool villas - I would encourage that. The two separate bedrooms and bat...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank seahow
Dear seahow;

It is fantastic to know that your odyssey across Asia ended in an active and luxurious note at our DoublePool Villas by Banyan Tree. This exclusive 24-Villa boutique resort offers an intimate and serene environment within which to relax and enjoy the wonderful surroundings. It seems that you have taken advantage of the extensive activities available at the Laguna Tours desk in our Lobby, this is a safe and secure way of organizing all your tour activities. Of course, apart from this our own recreation team also puts together interesting programs. One thing that has truly become very popular, probably not with your teen daughters, is “Kick-Boxing” training. It is a great way to stay fit and learn the Thai self-defense art.

Thanks for your gracious comments which motivate us to keep exceeding guest expectations.
We look forward to seeing you back, so you can go and see Phuket town and the Sino-Portuguese architecture.

Best regards,

Manila
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Nice setting, but service strictly by the book and below expectations for this price range. Also the whole complex wide spread (villas) so getting around requires buggies which can take quite some time to pick you up. Just to illustrate, two examples from our trip:

1) We planned this trip with friends and asked for villas next to each other. When we arrived around midnight, we learned that our friends got upgraded to another villa that was a good 10 minute buggy ride away. No other rooms were available so we settled for the night. Next day after asking 2 more times, we were offered an upgrade to a villa next to our friends,
but apparently the water heater was broken...water was luke warm which was fine for us so we agreed. All fine, but when we moved in hotel asked us to sign a letter that basically said we waive all our rights to complain about the lukewarm water. Not exactly the treatment I expect in a 5+ star hotel.

2) Then we had the Sunday brunch. Very nice food and I tried the Oysters. Not a good idea and I ended up with food poisoning. (can happen in best places i guess). When I called reception at night to ask if they have anything to help, they said that according to their policy they can not offer any medication...and that was that. Also never got an apology for the food poisoning. Guess thats their policy, but doesnt help me as a guest with stomach cramps.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank a9600210
Dear a9600210,

I wish to thank you for this review on your previous stay with us at the Banyan Tree Phuket, and I am glad that you enjoyed the resort’s serene setting amid 90 acres of tropical gardens! It however disappoints me that you were dissatisfied with our service standard, please allow me to address the two concerns you mentioned in my response below.

Travelling together with your friends, we understand the importance of having villas allocated close to each other and we did our utmost to meet this request. Our Front Office team however informed me that upon check-in your friends requested an upgrade to one of our Two-Bedroom Pool Villas which are situated in another area of the resort. Due to our high occupancy on that day, we unfortunately were not able to offer you a nearer villa straightaway, I am however glad that our resort hosts were able to settle this problem to your satisfaction by offering you a complimentary upgrade to a Two-Bedroom Pool Villa on the following day.

Pertaining to your second comment, I am truly sorry that you experienced health problems during your vacation with us. After receiving your feedback, I immediately asked our hygiene officer to investigate the condition of our oysters, and her reports show that they were in perfect state as we received them on Friday and served them on Sunday while regularly checking their correct storage and temperature. Our Executive Chef and his team furthermore reconfirmed that no other guests had health problems after the Sunday Brunch, I do hope this reinstalls your trust in the quality of our food.
Although we certainly would have wished to assist you further than the electrolyte powder we had offered you, handing out medicine to guests is strictly forbidden for hotels and resorts to the benefit of our guests’ safety as wrong medication might lead to severe consequences. In these situations we therefore recommend to visit the doctor located at “Canal Village” within the Laguna complex which is only a five minutes’ drive by shuttle bus from our resort.

Although I understand from your review that you were not satisfied with the level of service provided at our resort, I do hope my responses above helped to clarify certain aspects that caused your disappointment. If your plans bring you back to Phuket in the future, we would be delighted to welcome you once more to deliver a true and memorable Banyan Tree experience!

HKG
Reviewed 1 November 2013

As a fan of banyan tree resorts I've decided to make this big day happen at banyan tree laguna phuket..., my marriage proposal. From day one when i email the team there you feel their excitement the same as mine. Countless emails to make sure my ideas are well executed prior to arrival, secretive talks with me to confirm details when I arrived (that was fun), a surprised arrangement of romantic bath i didn't asked for..., all these are much appreciated as a true reflection to the banyan tree legacy by the team at phuket. I want to thank every staff at this resort for your dedication to excel in your profession. You've made this already a great place to stay an even better one, with memories of your pleasant smiles, friendly guidances, continuous hard work, and most of all, a "love what you do" mentality that impressed me most. "WE" as a couple will visit you again, thanks.

Room Tip: Choose Spa Pool Villas.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hansel T
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Hansel T;

The entire Banyan Tree Phuket Family is happy to have been part of this important event in your lives, your marriage proposal. At the same time, we are also thankful that you shared the detailed arrangements on which we worked together, in order to make of this a memory that will last forever. Romance and intimacy are two of the Banyan Tree’s key touchpoints. The more creative you are the more fun we can have. So thanks for inspiring all the readers to come and celebrate their special occasions with us., Banyan Tree is full of exciting plans and surprises for every single occasion.

Dear Hansel T, once again, we do appreciate your preference in choosing us, and look forward in hosting and surprising you again in a near future. Your room tip is indeed the perfect villa type for couples!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thalang District
Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas
Trisara
Trisara
#2 of 96 in Thalang District

Been to Banyan Tree Phuket? Share your experiences!