“WAY Overrated!”

Ranked #19 of 95 Hotels in Thalang District
London, United Kingdom
“WAY Overrated!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed for one night at the Sanctuary Villa and was really disappointed by the quality of the room as well as the hotel surrounding. I guess the villa had been vacant for some time (hence the weird smell and dusty floors) but the worst thing was that I was constantly attacked by mosquitoes. I understand it's the rainy season but I stayed at various five-star hotels during my trip and Banyan Tree was THE WORST in its hygiene but its price was THE HIGHEST. Some of the furniture pieces/amenities were old too - please change the wooden table at the pool! There's a crack in the middle! The breakfast was also really boring. Choices were limited and the taste so-so. A friend came over to join us and had to pay THB1,500. I felt SO SORRY for her! The ONLY good thing about the villa is the pool. It's a good size for a swim and no mosquitoes could attack me when I was in the water.

Room Tip: DON'T BOTHER! Your money is better spent elsewhere. Trust me.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

2 Thank SeasonedTravellerLND
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear SeasonedTravellerLND,

Thank you for taking the time to share your first feedback on your recent stay with us. It is disappointing that we fell short of meeting your expectations and an even greater regret that we could not meet in person during your 1 night stay. I generally prefer to deal with issues immediately and the team distinctly remembers the arrival experience as it was far from typical. As the villa you had booked for was for 2 guests and you had a 3rd adult we were unable to convince you of the additional charge and your friend had to relocate. Having spoken the team, I understand that that they advised you the THB 1500 price was for breakfast buffet. I do hope this was communicated clearly.

Your feedback on the breakfast buffet has been noted, yet I would like to highlight that it generally scores very high amongst all our guests for the quality and variety on offer that caters to both our Western as well as our Asian guests. I also shared your concerns about the breakfast price with our F&B Director who regularly checks that our prices are in line with other luxury resorts on the island.

Please allow me to address your concerns. Being located on a tropical island, mosquitoes are prevalent everywhere and not just in this resort. While we cannot completely eliminate them we make every effort to minimize them. The issues we are facing with mosquitoes this monsoon have unfortunately proven to be more severe compared to any previous year, and we are in constant talks with our pest control company to find an effective long-term solution to reduce this risk. I do hope that you saw the electrical coil, mosquito balm etc. provided in the villa.

Pertaining to the condition of the villa, a damaged table is certainly not acceptable and I have personally gone to check this villa and would like to report that the hole in the middle of the table is for the sun umbrella which is now provided next to the sun bed. I am also checking with my team if there was indeed a cracked table and it was removed before today. I do hope there is no misinterpretation and please do feel to write to me directly, if so.

My team and I strive hard to ensure our guests can enjoy a carefree and memorable vacation in Phuket, and I am disappointed that we did not accomplish this core value of ours in your case. Although I understand from your review that you do not intend to revisit, I would like to believe that it is because of the poor start we had. I do hope that you would not let your single experience here mar your impression of the entire Banyan Tree group as a whole.

Should you wish to discuss this matter with me directly, I would welcome such an opportunity and please do not hesitate to send me an e-mail at Sriram.Kailasam@banyantree.com.

Sriram Kailasam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in a Spa Pool Villa. The villa was in a separate property entrance to other standard villas and the pool was huge (It's like a public pool in some boutique hotels), and our room also included in-room spa services every morning.

However, I think this resort looked a bit older than other banyan tree hotels and it's less as tidy and maintained. There were fallen tree leaves around the ponds etc.

My husband and I had a romantic dinner cruise in the middle of the lake..which was supposed to be quite romantic. But the food wasn't that good at all, especially the sashimi and sushi they served during the dinner. I didn't really finish that as it was quite yucky to have warm raw fish. And if I have remembered it correctly, the dinner costed at least US$500. So It was quite expensive in Thai standard.. I wish they could just provide nice Thai food...

Room Tip: Don't do romantic dinner...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anita718
Dear Anita0718,

Thank you very much for remembering to post your experience at our wellness-focused luxury destination at the Spa Sanctuary even though your stay was in October last year, the memories of a wonderful holiday experience are always cherished.

It is great to know that you and your partner enjoyed your large private pool and all the inclusions; yoga in the orchid garden, a sumptuous afternoon tea or a revitalized and relaxed massage for two in the privacy of your own Thai Sala. You might have noticed we are set in a tropical garden and although our team of gardeners ensure that the landscape is always looking immaculate, constant shedding of leaves something we have to contend with.

Thank you also for pointing out the not so wonderful dining experience you encountered and I apologise at the onset for this. Having said that, we do not serve Japanese cuisine anywhere except at our Japanese restaurant unless it is part of a buffet which is freshly prepared for the exact reasons you have mentioned, raw seafood and the risk when kept in an outdoor setting. Perhaps you could furnish a little more detail. Our chefs have been made aware of your feedback. I can guarantee you that our team can recreate some magic for your next romantic dinner.

Dear Anita0718, once again thank you for your candid review and please let me or the team know if your near future couple getaways may bring you to Phuket, we would love to welcome you back. Perhaps this time you can explore another one of our private resorts in Phuket – The DoublePool Villa by Banyan Tree.

Warmest regards,
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Pros
Spacious villa
Prompt room service
Prompt follow up when Internet wasn't working
Lovely buggy staff - so friendly to my son
Cons
The tiles around the pool are sharp and have gaps between them - my
son cut his foot on them. This has been mentioned on previous reviews
but I guess the hotel can't be bothered to fix them.
No wifi in master bedroom
The middle door leading from villa to pool needs a proper lock - this
is an accident waiting to happen with kids staying at the hotel.
Currently there is a press button on the handle and if you twist the
handle the door pops open. A one year old could figure this out. A lock at the top of the door would make sense.
Cleaning and turn down staff would leave doors open even when I told
them repeatedly that Mosquitos were flying in - as a result we were
getting through a can of mosquito room spray a day which led to severe
headaches.
Over priced food - I can understand steak being expensive as the meat
would be imported but $20 for a small bowl of tomato pasta?!
Billing - I asked for my bill the night before check out and asked
them to remove the daily "green imperative"charge that had appeared on
the bill. I was told this was a voluntary contribution and I would
have been told about it upon check in - which I was not! If they'd
asked me before adding it to the bill, I would have been happy to pay
it but the presumptuousness annoyed me.
The morning I was leaving, the receptionist messed up the bill. She
did two transactions on my card (both wrong) and overcharged by $1600
Luckily I checked the amounts before signing. She had no idea how to void the amounts
and then proceeded to charge my card again without checking the amount
with me first.
Check out took 25 minutes at which point I was ravaged by mosquitos.
The receptionist laughingly said how there are a lot of Mosquitos but
at no point did she offer me any spray.

In summary the villas are spacious and yes a little run down. If your idea of luxury is a large villa then this is it. However, if you want all the mod cons then I would stay somewhere else.
What let the hotel down was the amount of Mosquitos in the villa and hotel
property and a lack of training with housekeeping staff - I shouldn't
have had to repeat the need for the doors to be kept closed only for
it to fall on deaf ears again and again!

I think the food is overpriced too. I think that says a lot
considering I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world
(Singapore). I've stayed in numerous higher end properties than the
banyan tree which are in remote locations and all ingredients are
imported yet the pricing for food has been much lower. I won't be
back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Dee3212014
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Dee3212014,

Warm greetings from Banyan Tree Phuket and many thanks for your feedback. I am disappointed that we could not exceed your expectations considering this is your first visit. While the mosquito issue is not entirely in our control, there is no excuse for poor practices or maintenance.

As a matter of fact, we are currently fixing the sharp-edged tiles in the swimming pool and the re-surfacing should be completed within the next 4 weeks. I am sorry to hear about the cut on your son’s foot and hope he has recovered.

Your observation regarding the middle door has been taken note of and we will address this in our next villa maintenance program. Adding another latch is not a problem and the feedback is makes sense. On a similar note, the Executive Housekeeper and team have been made aware of the incident where the villa doors are left open during cleaning. Our attendants are explicitly instructed to ensure doors and windows are left closed during turndown especially during the monsoons. Apart from the rigorous efforts in keeping the number of mosquitoes low throughout the wet season, we are constantly in touch with our pest control company to find a long-term solution in mitigating this. Pertaining to F&B pricing, your concern has been brought to the attention of our Director F&B who regularly checks that the prices and quality are in line with other hotels of the same standard.

Last but not least, please allow me to address the incident during check-out as it has annoyed you. If the associate who checked you in did not inform you that the GIF is matched by Banyan Tree for social projects for the environment and community, I do apologize but, the intent is not to annoy you. The system charges automatically every villa on a daily basis along with taxes and service charge. After investigating the billing incidence, it seems that there was some loss in understanding which led to the delay. However, we will work on improving it.

I am glad that you enjoyed our buggy, villa dining and the spacious villa. Dear Dee3212014, I note your wish not to re-visit our hotel however, I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves. Please write to me personally if you wish to do so as I am very confident, in fact, I can promise you that you will have a different experience. Until then, please take care.

Warm regards,

Pontefract, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Wonderful villa, superb staff generally a great holiday! There is very little to find fault with at the Banyan Tree. From arrival to departure you are treated like royalty, unobtrusive staff with smiles on their faces and a feeling of calm throughout. Our villa was possibly the best we have stayed in and this includes millionaire suites at sandals and lagoon villas in the Maldives. The pool size was incredible and the space in the villa extensive. Our villa host, Aob, took care if all our meal bookings and spa treatments (fantastic massage) with very little fuss. We did get quite a few bites even with mosquito spray applied daily! But this we expected and the resort try to combat this with spraying. I am already missing my 6 o'clock MaiTais delivered to the villa along with canapés! How would I improve it? The prices for alcohol in the room were rather excessive and we ended up purchasing from the local supermarket instead. Soft drinks and crisps were complimentary as was a daily fruit bowl, however, some chocolates or cake would have been appreciated occasionally. All in all a super stay and I would recommend this resort.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

1 Thank Mel M
Dear Mel M,

Thank you very much for sharing a personal testimony on our DoublePool Villas and the team on this forum.

Your gracious comments on Khun Aob have been shared with the DoublePool villa team and the whole review with the rest of associates to continue delivering exemplary service to all our guests. I take note of the missing cocktail on one of the evenings. Interesting point about the complimentary snacks; I do hope you had our homemade Ice Cream or local coffee man visit you!

Pertaining to the mosquitoes, this is not just an issue in our resort; it is island wide in the monsoons. We are taking measures to eliminate them through generic measures such as avoiding stagnant water, planting natural herbs, spray etc. as well as personal amenities. We shall continue to do so.

Dear Mel M, we are delighted to learn that your stay was all in all a pleasant one. On behalf of my team here, we look forward to having you back home in our signature DoublePool villa by Banyan Tree Phuket. Thank you very much once again for choosing us,

Warm regards,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

What made this hotel great was the combination of it all. having your private pool villa with the best breakfast service i have ever seen. Scallops, sushi french cheeses anything can be eaten at this great resort. Most inspiring were the massage treatments in these little private gardens. They set the bar of spa service level challenged by none in Europe. Indulgence and go here! it has been a while but i miss it sometimes :-)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mentrop
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear mentrop,

Thank you for sharing to the whole Tripadvisor community your wonderful stay at Banyan Tree Phuket last yearend. No doubt this will motivate all of us at Banyan Tree Phuket to keep delighting our guests.

Private pool in the villa, vast selection for breakfast , impeccable service from the team and a rejuvenating treatment at the award winning Banyan Tree Spa were a perfect recipe for the perfect holidays and we are glad that they were all above your expectations.

Next time your holidays brings you back to Phuket, please do not hesitate to get in touch in advance and we would recommend our Deluxe Two Bedroom Pool Villa, for another perfect family getaway.

Until then, cheers.
Slough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I spent two weeks here last january. It is an amazing hotel. The staff are so lovely and sweet. its an expensive hotel, but it is pure luxury. Can not fault it! By far one of the best hotels I have ever been to. The grounds are so beautiful and the service is better than anywhere I have ever been. There are golf buggies that pick you up and take you round the hotel grounds to where you want. You can also hire a bicycle for free to cycle around throughout your stay. There are also free classes every day. I did the windsurfing class, the yoga class and the flower arranging class which I loved. At night they put lovely little gifts on your pillow and I always looked forward to what the next gift would be. Just small things like incense etc. The villas are gorgeous. I am very fussy with my shampoo and conditioner as I have long thick hair and so I always take my own when I go away- but towards the end of the holiday i chose to try the conditioner they supplied and it made my hair soooooo silky! i wish i had used all the bath products from the beginning. if you are trying to decide between this hotel and another one... definitely choose this one! you wont be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear laradavid80,

Thank you so much for this outstanding review and for recommending the Banyan Tree Phuket to fellow travelers, we are truly proud to be part of the best hotels you experienced.

It is great to read that you made the most out of your stay by joining our daily activities; the Yoga classes are especially popular amongst our guests and a great way to start your day!

I hope you also paid a visit to our Banyan Tree Gallery where you can purchase all our Banyan Tree in-villa amenities, including shampoo and conditioner, but also local souvenirs from Thailand.

We hope to welcome you back to Phuket in the near future, be sure to have a look at our webpage as we have very attractive offers to celebrate Banyan Tree’s 20th anniversary in September!

Kind regards,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in a one bedroom pool villa. The villa itself was awesome with a nice big bedroom/lounge, pretty big private pool (10m) and a hot tub. You have total privacy as well. A few mosquitos but other than that it was perfect.

The hotel food was amazing with a good selection at breakfast and very good restaurats as well. The food however, is quite pricey and cheaper alternatives can be found at the other hotels on the "Laguna" which can be accessed by complimentary shuttle bus and also in downtown phuket.

The main pool isnt huge but sufficiently big enough. It was never crowded when we were there and the poolside bar also offered really good drinks and snacks. The beach is ok - dont expect white sand and clear blue water but we didnt spend too much time on the beach.

You can also take a romantic trip on a little boat with dinner served if you are going on a couples outing. Its nice experience but dont expect any privacy as its all very close quarters.

The spa, well, its probably the best spa in the world that I have been to. The ambience, treatment options, facilities - are all world class and would definitely recommend trying out. Can be a bit costly but definitely worth it.

You can also book excursions from here and I would recommend the trip to phi phi islands which is just a truly amazing beach.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RBN76
Sriram K, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear RBN76,

Thank you for a great review and glad that we ticked all the boxes!

It is always a pleasure to hear that our services and standards exceed guest expectations. I am glad you enjoyed our vast selections of breakfast on offer. We truly believe it is an important meal, so variety and quality is important. I do hope you also had a chance to try our Sunday brunch while here, if not, I highly recommend it next time you are visiting to enjoy live lobster and seafood barbecued to your liking.

It is also great to know you managed to experience our famous destination dining option our Sanya Rak or Thai sunset dinner cruise, rejuvenating spa and excursions arranged by our tour desk.

RBN76, we would love to welcome you and your partner back and perhaps try our other resorts within the resort such as the Banyan Tree Spa Sanctuary or DoublePool Villas by Banyan Tree for another level of pure privacy and or couple only resort.

Kind regards,