Andaman White Beach Resort
Ranked #31 of 97 Hotels in Thalang District
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

The resort itself is very nice, the private beach is delightful. We feel like this place needs better management however, we checked the check in time beforehand, arrived at 3pm and had to wait 1 hour for our room to be ready. Our room was not made up for us during our stay and we had to call 3 times for housekeeping to come along, it appeared there was only one housekeeping employee. Our safety box wasn't working and the staff member said he was going to bring it up to management, it never got fixed. However restaurant and beach staff were very good, food was great and overall we enjoyed our stay

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ferxo88

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I was really hoping that after our 3 nights stay in East Railay Beach of doing a lot of island hoping (Phi phi, Tups, Dopa, Bamboo etc) that my stay in Andaman White Beach Resort will be total chillax. First and foremost, I know partly we contributed to the mess but the problem started when Ms. Pleng the night duty front desk officer confronted us when we were just explaining to her the conversation my mom and I had with the morning duty front desk officer.

Here's the lucky story (Because we found a very hospitable Thai who accomodated us at around 2AM, plus he fetched us from the unfortunate hotel)
When we checked in at around 3pm (4/21/14), I asked the front desk officer who welcomed us that a friend is coming but at night. I ask her a favor to please confirm with the reservations manager if she can be accomodated. I also told her I am willing to pay for anything extra with or without extra bed as long as she can stay with us. I also told her if it is possible to downgrade my room accomodation since seaview rooms can accommodate for 3. Sarcastically she told me are you willing to pay 10,000baht or even 1 million baht? I told her oh that's to much. Just ask the manager first and then inform us what their decision is so that we will be guided properly. From 3pm until 10pm we didn't receive any call or get any information about this. During this time we were calling the front desk (0 or 5) asking for help but no information was shared about this matter.

My friend came at 10pm but to my surprise Ms. Pleng's 1st sentence to her was "Sorry but you cannot stay here it is company policy!" I was really surprised with how she acted because we weren't running as fast as we could to get passed through the lobby unnoticed. I told her I wish we were informed earlier because we were waiting for their decision. But to my surprise she was already confrontational. I told her, "Wait I am not fighting!" (this one is a usual Thai slang) I just want to explain because It was already 10pm and booking a hotel at this time is no joke. Just to end her imposed argument, I ask her if she can recommend any resort or hotel within the area. She booked us but unfortunately we weren't able to find the hotel because her directions where this, "It is the first hotel on the right side." So we booked the first one we saw. She also told us that my friend can come in as guest. We complied, no arguments, no further questions asked.

At around 9am (4/22/2014), I accompanied my friend to the resort to use the private pool in my villa and the beach. We are asked by the front desk officer where my friend is going? I told her she can come in as guest right? She let us in with no further questions asked. We had late lunch and booked Phuket Fantasea show at 9pm through the resort. At around 5pm, we took the resort taxi (900 baht) but before leaving we were asked by a male front desk officer, how many guests are staying in our villa. We ignored their query and went to the taxi. We came back late after the show at around 11pm. We decided that we will have a late dinner at the resort. But we were told that dinner is only served till 1030pm. I told them we will just have a quick bite inside the villa and then go. Ms. Pleng told us this, "Are you sure you're coming back? We will be waiting for you here in the lobby. We were already pissed with her words but we decided to ignore it and have a quick bite.

At around 11pm my friend and I left the hotel, but before this I politely told her in a mild mannered voice (was not even raising my voice) "Next time if you encountered guests like us, please don't treat them like criminals!" But to my dismay, she shouted back and kept on talking and talking for more than 5 minutes telling us that it is company policy etc... IF IT WERE MY 100% INTENTION TO BREAK COMPANY POLICY, WHY DID I EVEN BOTHERED TO ASK PERMISSION SO THAT MY FRIEND CAN BE ACCOMODATED. I told her, I am not Fighting you but you're always disrespectful to us. Your job is to give the best impression of the Thai smile, but you failed us. You are a big disappointment! But she still kept on talking and talking when the BEST Thing that she should have done was to SHUT UP AND LISTEN. I told her, "Hey, the customer is always right! We don't deserve this. I told her I need to talk to your manager in the morning so I can report it properly. She even told us, "Go ahead and report me!" We left with a very heavy angry heart. I returned after 15minutes of walking in a very dark alley. My mom and I decided to check out at this time but I insisted on talking to the resort manager prior to this.

My reason for this was because I know the situation is a learning issue for the staff. It was mishandled and done worse than guest house standard.

We are paying customers who always eat and order alot in the restaurants, booked some activities and most of all PLEASANT, UNDEMANDING GUESTS.

We are not staying here as COMPLIMENTARY GUESTS.

I would like to say my sincerest gratitude to the Resort Manager for taking the time to call and Listen. She offered for us to stay till the morning so that she can talk to me personally but substantial damage has been done. I am sorry but I don't want to further add anything to the DISAPPOINTMENT.
We left somewhat angry but if it weren't for Mr. Chusak who was very hospitable, 4/23/2014 is saved.

Ms. Pleng, I think you can learn a lot from Mr. Chusak. My advice for you is SMILE and LISTEN!

Mr. Chusak even fetched us personally at the resort.

When we left Ms. Pleng was nowhere in sight. I was expecting an APOLOGY but NONE.

Anyways extra charges reached $341.33 but the guy on duty rounded it off to $342.00. I told him it's a measly amount but you don't deserve even a centavo of tip.

Maybe if I were Caucasian and not Asian, front desk could have treated me better.

Book this resort for privacy but do not expect Thai hospitality at its best.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jcgmd H
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had our third visit to the Andaman and again loved our stay here. The staff were excellent again and if you make an effort to help understand their Thai, they too will try to understand you. It makes me cross when reviewers expect the Thai people to speak english well. We have always found that we can communicate by pointing or trying to explain by showing and we always end up laughing and getting to know the team there very well. The rooms are being given a face lift but do not expect modern fixture and fittings, part of the charm here is the rustic look and feel. I describe it as an adult tree house with 54 rooms only I think being available. If you want a resort that offers music and entertainment this is not the place for you. This is quiet, relaxed, laid back and expensive to eat there. I do feel that if the prices were dropped you would stay and eat in each of the fantastic restuarants but we always combine our stay with a visit down the coast in a taxi and visits to the Nai Thon beach to eat in the evening for approx £25 per couple you can drink wine, beer etc and have a three course meal, such good value for money more than makes up for what you spent at the Andaman. We took friends with us this time and they loved it just like us, they called it paradise as the beach is fantastic, and the sea is amazing. We will return again as we just love it and it has everything that we love in a holiday. Thank you to the Andaman for another fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: the beach villas with a pool are lovelyl We staying in 213 which had a lovely view and was easy to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I booked this Resort as a surprise for my wife as I knew she had never stayed in a hotel of this "reported level" before. It was sad for me to see her initial huge smile slowly diminish as time there went on.
We actually live in Phuket but I decided a night away from the normal would be great. Ill be the first to admit my appearance isn't for everyone but just because I have a beard and a Mohawk hair cut does not mean I don't have money, I was asked if I could be helped like I was lost and in the wrong place, I produced my booking, passport and credit card, and was then asked for my luggage, when I showed I only had one small back pack as I had ridden the motorbike, I was scoffed at. The reception then came back and asked "for my friends ID card if she was joining me". It made my wife feel like she was a working girl.
We took this in our stride and were very excited about our room, the view of the ocean soon had us on the beach and enjoying a swim and a romantic walk, which all stopped when we went back to the room and as I walked up the stairs the top 2 collapsed, causing me to fall onto the deck (im only 75kg).
Management seemed very casual about this and asked me to wait, I thought we were waiting to be spoke to then after 30minutes we saw builders coming in, we were told to go wait and enjoy some fruit complimentary (the fruit is complimentary anyway) I asked how long until the room would be ready and was told to go have a cocktail complimentary (all I wanted to do was chill out in my room that is not cheap). I asked if we had to wait 2 hours could we check out 2 hours later, this was not an option I was told.
Eventually we were upgraded to a pool villa, which we got excited about again, but by this time we had missed most of the sunset from our room which was the plan.
I decided to take a swim in the pool, but as I went to climb out the ladder moved and almost broke away from where it is bolted to the surface, not willing to risk another fall, I never swam again.
Over all the place seems to be falling apart, Fountain at the back of the room didn't work, CD player in first room didn't work, Pond was dry plus the other things already mentioned.
It was nice to eventually be upgraded, and they didn't charge for out dinner, but I feel very fortunate I didn't get hurt.
Other interesting thing was i had to get my own bag from room 1, meaning walking through the construction area, stepping up a gap of missing steps and down again.
My favourite 800b a night guesthouse might not have a private beach but rates higher across the board in every aspect and they have never made my wife feel low.

Room Tip: Get a building inspector first
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JaideyNate
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were a little worried as our stay here drew nearer and there suddenly appeared to be a spate of negative reviews. We shouldn't have worried! What an amazing place. We stayed for 8 nights with two nights away in between to an elephant sanctuary. Our first stay we were upgraded to the Andaman Suite which was just amazing with two terraces, private pool and beach access.
The white sand beach is pristine and is lovingly raked every morning and evening. We were often the only ones in the sea and very rarely saw more than 6 or so people on it at any one time.
All the staff were friendly and always smiling. English wasn't always spoken very well but enough to be able to communicate. We never expect perfect English when we travel half way round the world and always like to learn a few phrases such as thank you and hello which is always appreciated.
Food was delicious but quite expensive, perhaps on a par with an average pub meal in the UK. It was possible to walk to the next town, Nai Thon beach, which took about 15 mins or 3 mins in a taxi for 100 Bt ( about £2). We walked there over the steep hill and got a taxi back no problem. The beach restaurants there were at least half the price of the hotel but obviously not in such beautiful surroundings.
Our second 4 nights were spent in a beach pool villa which was also amazing. Two showers and a sunken bath, complimentary mini bar, private pool and shaded terraces with chairs and loungers and best of all just a few steps to the idyllic beach.
The hotel is in the middle of no where but that is what makes it so select and unspoiled.
We went on an organized trip to Phang Nga Bay and hotel transfers were included. It was possible to get taxis to the big beach town Patong which was a total contrast to this hotel!
We were privileged to witness a marriage proposal on the beach one evening and a renewal of wedding vows the next, where a heart shaped island was carved in the sand and a flowered arch way etc. set up in the middle. The couple were then given a romantic meal on the beach as the sun set. A perfect place for romance.
We had no problems with the quality of the rooms, beds, bathrooms which appeared well maintained. Hot water was always available and as many towels as you needed.
Overall an amazing place in a stunning location.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view but the beach pool villas are very special with private pool and direct be...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank grantama
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We arrived at this hotel in only 15 minutes after leaving the airport. We were greeted by the reception staff and shown to our room.
I am honestly surprised that this hotel doesn't rank higher on Tripadvisor. We had the most gorgeous room with a beautiful view of the stunning beach (including amazing sunsets).
The room was spacious and the bathroom was amazing with a sort of half outdoor shower.
We ate at the Coconut Grove restaurant on our first night and the food was lovely.
We paid £2 in a taxi to get to the small village with some lovely restaurants on the beach on the other nights. This village was very nice and had a laid back atmosphere but we were about the only English people there as everyone else was Russian. This didn't bother us though.
Both the beach and pool were beautiful.
They give free fruit to everyone at 5pm every night which was very refreshing and yummy!
All in all a beautiful 4 nights here- I wish I could be on this beach every day!
This is the real Phuket :-)

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank laurz1706
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed here for one week, and it was a really nice stay.
Great location, nice and quiet, a very good place to relax and just be lazy.
The hotel is located on a white beautiful beach, in very green surroundings, you feel you are in a jungle, palm trees and flowers everywhere.
The hotel had three restaurants, we almost ate at the thai-restaurant every night, great food, nice service, nice location.
The price of the food was bait higher than in other parts of phuket, but of course, the hotel is abit to it self, so they can turn the price up, but it was still cheap compared to home.

The rooms was nice and clean, good balcony/terrace, very nice to see the sunset in the evening.

There is a village nearby, naithon beach, it has some restaurants and some marts, if you want to buy some snacks or souvenirs. It was about 15 minutes to walk from the hotel.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.

If you are going anywhere you need to take a taxi or have a car.
But take care, because they drive like maniacs in Thailand.
not a pleasant thing to be in a taxi there, but i guess thats just the way it is.

I do recommend this hotel if you need to relax, be lazy, if you like beautiful surroundings, nice food, and a great beach :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
18 mi away
The Vijitt Resort Phuket
Phuket Marriott Resort and Spa, Nai Yang Beach

Been to Andaman White Beach Resort? Share your experiences!