“Relaxing Stay/Great Service”

Andaman White Beach Resort
Ranked #32 of 97 Hotels in Thalang District
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We just wrapped up three nights at this resort and I can't say enough good things about it! We had last minute changes to our travel plans and decided to take off to Phuket to relax for a few days before heading home. We saw this resort online, but given our last minute change of plans, we flew to Phuket with no reservation and called Andaman from the airport. The staff was incredibly helpful from the start!

The setting can't be beat as the resort has it's own private stretch of beach hemmed in by rocky cliffs on each side. They have plenty of covered beach chairs for all the guests, so there was never a scramble in the morning to stake out a chair. They have free kayaks, boogie boards and snorkeling gear as well.

Because we arrived with no reservations, we did have to move rooms each night, but we were able to get the best available room each night including a pool villa and a deluxe seaview room. All the rooms were spacious with great views of the ocean and have cd/iPod players and refridgerators. We were very happy with every room and didn't mind moving around because the staff was so helpful during each move. In one room, we had a problem with some of the outlets not working, but within five minutes of my call, someone from maintenance was there to try to fix the problem. When it could not be resolved quickly, they sent someone immediately with a power strip that we could use with the working outlets so we had plenty of plugs for our charging needs.

We arrived on a Wednesday which is the night that they do a resort reception on the beach with free cocktails and appetizers. It was a great way to meet some of the other guests. Several of the staff members joined in the socializing as well. The food in all the restaurants was very good. They have a Thai restaurant as an option in the evening as well as a seafood bbq restaurant. Both were excellent. Breakfast was included and provided a variety of options from fruit to eggs to Thai curry. And, the salads at the beachside restaurant that we had for lunch each day were great.

The staff here was really outstanding! I was surprised to see a couple of reviews that said they did not have a good experience with the staff. We found everyone we came in contact with to be extremely friendly and accommodating. They were always smiling and asking if we needed anything. And, the manager, Khun Bom, was exceptionally helpful. Given that we showed up practically unannounced, it was a really pleasant surprise to find the manager going above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of.

I don't take the time to write reviews very often, but the Andaman White Beach definitely warranted the effort. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a relaxing, quiet place away from the typical Phuket crowds.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GatorTraveller

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We didn't arrive till 2am due to a flight delay, however they happily greater us and even had provided some complimentary sandwich and chips in the room, woke up this morning to everything they said it would be, looking forward to the rest do the week and I will post a full review.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Henry D
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We first visited Andaman 2.5 years ago when we stayed during our honeymoon and returned again last month. We were pleased nothing had changed although it is probably time for some improvements to the rooms like larger televisions, fix noisy pool pumps and a general spruce up.

The manager, Luciano was very accommodating when he found out that we were returning guests and also celebrating having a baby on the way. He upgraded us to a pool front villa which we were excited about although we initially felt it was possibly not as good as the spa room we had booked. From memory, the spa room had two showers and a bigger bathroom than the pool front villa. However, on reflection the beach pool villa was good for us as it was so convenient to the beach and you didn't need to use a lot of stairs to get around. We didn't use the pool much with such a beautiful beach to hand.

The staff are the resorts weakest attribute. They are sticklers for the rules like the 2.00pm check in which always surprises me. Are all the rooms only clean at exactly the same time? They didn't even check when we asked if a late checkout would be available (the answer was no) and one time when we returned from a day trip a female staff member came running from the front desk to ask our room number. I am not sure why but it felt as if she was suspecting us of not being guests. On arrival, our room was clearly missing the bedside table from one side of our king size bed. We had to ask three times over two days if we could have one brought to our room. The staff were always flaky and never delivered but on the third day when I emailed the manager, the problem was sorted before we had even returned from breakfast.

People who say the restaurant is expensive are kidding themselves. The prices are fair, if not cheap for hotel prices and the quality is far superior than that of Nai Thon. After our first meal took 2 hours for only two courses (the service was slow), we opted for room service for our other meals. The poolside juice and fresh fruit in the afternoon is also a great touch.

Lastly, I used the spa every day and found the prices to be fantastic. It worked out to be around $50 AUD for an hour long treatment. The staff seemed to have been trained in how to accommodate a pregnant woman, were very friendly and the facilities although fairly basic compared to other hotel spas, were clean and nice.

Overall Andaman is a quiet resort which is exactly why we love it. Pretentious it is not and that is why we keep coming back. See you again soon Andaman!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

The resort itself is very nice, the private beach is delightful. We feel like this place needs better management however, we checked the check in time beforehand, arrived at 3pm and had to wait 1 hour for our room to be ready. Our room was not made up for us during our stay and we had to call 3 times for housekeeping to come along, it appeared there was only one housekeeping employee. Our safety box wasn't working and the staff member said he was going to bring it up to management, it never got fixed. However restaurant and beach staff were very good, food was great and overall we enjoyed our stay

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ferxo88
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I was really hoping that after our 3 nights stay in East Railay Beach of doing a lot of island hoping (Phi phi, Tups, Dopa, Bamboo etc) that my stay in Andaman White Beach Resort will be total chillax. First and foremost, I know partly we contributed to the mess but the problem started when Ms. Pleng the night duty front desk officer confronted us when we were just explaining to her the conversation my mom and I had with the morning duty front desk officer.

Here's the lucky story (Because we found a very hospitable Thai who accomodated us at around 2AM, plus he fetched us from the unfortunate hotel)
When we checked in at around 3pm (4/21/14), I asked the front desk officer who welcomed us that a friend is coming but at night. I ask her a favor to please confirm with the reservations manager if she can be accomodated. I also told her I am willing to pay for anything extra with or without extra bed as long as she can stay with us. I also told her if it is possible to downgrade my room accomodation since seaview rooms can accommodate for 3. Sarcastically she told me are you willing to pay 10,000baht or even 1 million baht? I told her oh that's to much. Just ask the manager first and then inform us what their decision is so that we will be guided properly. From 3pm until 10pm we didn't receive any call or get any information about this. During this time we were calling the front desk (0 or 5) asking for help but no information was shared about this matter.

My friend came at 10pm but to my surprise Ms. Pleng's 1st sentence to her was "Sorry but you cannot stay here it is company policy!" I was really surprised with how she acted because we weren't running as fast as we could to get passed through the lobby unnoticed. I told her I wish we were informed earlier because we were waiting for their decision. But to my surprise she was already confrontational. I told her, "Wait I am not fighting!" (this one is a usual Thai slang) I just want to explain because It was already 10pm and booking a hotel at this time is no joke. Just to end her imposed argument, I ask her if she can recommend any resort or hotel within the area. She booked us but unfortunately we weren't able to find the hotel because her directions where this, "It is the first hotel on the right side." So we booked the first one we saw. She also told us that my friend can come in as guest. We complied, no arguments, no further questions asked.

At around 9am (4/22/2014), I accompanied my friend to the resort to use the private pool in my villa and the beach. We are asked by the front desk officer where my friend is going? I told her she can come in as guest right? She let us in with no further questions asked. We had late lunch and booked Phuket Fantasea show at 9pm through the resort. At around 5pm, we took the resort taxi (900 baht) but before leaving we were asked by a male front desk officer, how many guests are staying in our villa. We ignored their query and went to the taxi. We came back late after the show at around 11pm. We decided that we will have a late dinner at the resort. But we were told that dinner is only served till 1030pm. I told them we will just have a quick bite inside the villa and then go. Ms. Pleng told us this, "Are you sure you're coming back? We will be waiting for you here in the lobby. We were already pissed with her words but we decided to ignore it and have a quick bite.

At around 11pm my friend and I left the hotel, but before this I politely told her in a mild mannered voice (was not even raising my voice) "Next time if you encountered guests like us, please don't treat them like criminals!" But to my dismay, she shouted back and kept on talking and talking for more than 5 minutes telling us that it is company policy etc... IF IT WERE MY 100% INTENTION TO BREAK COMPANY POLICY, WHY DID I EVEN BOTHERED TO ASK PERMISSION SO THAT MY FRIEND CAN BE ACCOMODATED. I told her, I am not Fighting you but you're always disrespectful to us. Your job is to give the best impression of the Thai smile, but you failed us. You are a big disappointment! But she still kept on talking and talking when the BEST Thing that she should have done was to SHUT UP AND LISTEN. I told her, "Hey, the customer is always right! We don't deserve this. I told her I need to talk to your manager in the morning so I can report it properly. She even told us, "Go ahead and report me!" We left with a very heavy angry heart. I returned after 15minutes of walking in a very dark alley. My mom and I decided to check out at this time but I insisted on talking to the resort manager prior to this.

My reason for this was because I know the situation is a learning issue for the staff. It was mishandled and done worse than guest house standard.

We are paying customers who always eat and order alot in the restaurants, booked some activities and most of all PLEASANT, UNDEMANDING GUESTS.

We are not staying here as COMPLIMENTARY GUESTS.

I would like to say my sincerest gratitude to the Resort Manager for taking the time to call and Listen. She offered for us to stay till the morning so that she can talk to me personally but substantial damage has been done. I am sorry but I don't want to further add anything to the DISAPPOINTMENT.
We left somewhat angry but if it weren't for Mr. Chusak who was very hospitable, 4/23/2014 is saved.

Ms. Pleng, I think you can learn a lot from Mr. Chusak. My advice for you is SMILE and LISTEN!

Mr. Chusak even fetched us personally at the resort.

When we left Ms. Pleng was nowhere in sight. I was expecting an APOLOGY but NONE.

Anyways extra charges reached $341.33 but the guy on duty rounded it off to $342.00. I told him it's a measly amount but you don't deserve even a centavo of tip.

Maybe if I were Caucasian and not Asian, front desk could have treated me better.

Book this resort for privacy but do not expect Thai hospitality at its best.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jcgmd H
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had our third visit to the Andaman and again loved our stay here. The staff were excellent again and if you make an effort to help understand their Thai, they too will try to understand you. It makes me cross when reviewers expect the Thai people to speak english well. We have always found that we can communicate by pointing or trying to explain by showing and we always end up laughing and getting to know the team there very well. The rooms are being given a face lift but do not expect modern fixture and fittings, part of the charm here is the rustic look and feel. I describe it as an adult tree house with 54 rooms only I think being available. If you want a resort that offers music and entertainment this is not the place for you. This is quiet, relaxed, laid back and expensive to eat there. I do feel that if the prices were dropped you would stay and eat in each of the fantastic restuarants but we always combine our stay with a visit down the coast in a taxi and visits to the Nai Thon beach to eat in the evening for approx £25 per couple you can drink wine, beer etc and have a three course meal, such good value for money more than makes up for what you spent at the Andaman. We took friends with us this time and they loved it just like us, they called it paradise as the beach is fantastic, and the sea is amazing. We will return again as we just love it and it has everything that we love in a holiday. Thank you to the Andaman for another fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: the beach villas with a pool are lovelyl We staying in 213 which had a lovely view and was easy to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I booked this Resort as a surprise for my wife as I knew she had never stayed in a hotel of this "reported level" before. It was sad for me to see her initial huge smile slowly diminish as time there went on.
We actually live in Phuket but I decided a night away from the normal would be great. Ill be the first to admit my appearance isn't for everyone but just because I have a beard and a Mohawk hair cut does not mean I don't have money, I was asked if I could be helped like I was lost and in the wrong place, I produced my booking, passport and credit card, and was then asked for my luggage, when I showed I only had one small back pack as I had ridden the motorbike, I was scoffed at. The reception then came back and asked "for my friends ID card if she was joining me". It made my wife feel like she was a working girl.
We took this in our stride and were very excited about our room, the view of the ocean soon had us on the beach and enjoying a swim and a romantic walk, which all stopped when we went back to the room and as I walked up the stairs the top 2 collapsed, causing me to fall onto the deck (im only 75kg).
Management seemed very casual about this and asked me to wait, I thought we were waiting to be spoke to then after 30minutes we saw builders coming in, we were told to go wait and enjoy some fruit complimentary (the fruit is complimentary anyway) I asked how long until the room would be ready and was told to go have a cocktail complimentary (all I wanted to do was chill out in my room that is not cheap). I asked if we had to wait 2 hours could we check out 2 hours later, this was not an option I was told.
Eventually we were upgraded to a pool villa, which we got excited about again, but by this time we had missed most of the sunset from our room which was the plan.
I decided to take a swim in the pool, but as I went to climb out the ladder moved and almost broke away from where it is bolted to the surface, not willing to risk another fall, I never swam again.
Over all the place seems to be falling apart, Fountain at the back of the room didn't work, CD player in first room didn't work, Pond was dry plus the other things already mentioned.
It was nice to eventually be upgraded, and they didn't charge for out dinner, but I feel very fortunate I didn't get hurt.
Other interesting thing was i had to get my own bag from room 1, meaning walking through the construction area, stepping up a gap of missing steps and down again.
My favourite 800b a night guesthouse might not have a private beach but rates higher across the board in every aspect and they have never made my wife feel low.

Room Tip: Get a building inspector first
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
18 mi away
The Vijitt Resort Phuket
Phuket Marriott Resort and Spa, Nai Yang Beach

Been to Andaman White Beach Resort? Share your experiences!