“One night only”

Mission Hills Phuket Golf Club Resort & Spa
Ranked #87 of 95 Hotels in Thalang District
“One night only”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Wow, Mission Hills. After staying at a 6 star resort we moved to Mission Hills for two nights, for the soul purpose of my husband playing golf here.

I wish I'd only booked one night.

If you're after a resort with rooms that are cheap, clean, and comfortable then this is your place. Near the airport, its a good place to crash and staying here for golf means a much less earlier start. Housekeeping are great, they're really trying and you can see their attention to detail despite the 1980's decor and unrefurbished, run down rooms. Even though the shower handle falls off in your hand when you try and adjust the temp, the shower is scrubbed spotless. The bathroom is immaculately clean, and even though the floorboards are severely warped and raised from what I assume was flooding, they are sparkling. The linens are crisp and clean and decorated with flowers, and the mini bar restocked daily.

The rest of the resort unfortunately is a bit of a disaster.

The pool area is generally quite putrid. There is a large sunken water feature outside our pool access room which we have to step over. It is empty, and filthy. Obviously it needs fixing but we didn't see anyone working on it (see my photos to view it).

The pool bar looks like a hygiene nightmare. Not that you can get a drink even if you wanted one, it seems to be unmanned for the majority of the day, and I can understand why given me and my husband were the only ones using the pool during our stay. In fact, the place was so deserted we went INTO the pool bar to check it out and it was a cesspool, I don't think the benches have been wiped down in a very, very long time, and aside from the bottles of boiling hot liquor sitting in the sun i'm not sure the bar is stocked with anything. When we arrived there were two dirty towels that previous guests had left on the poolbar, when we checked out those two dirty towels were still there. Seriously.

The breakfast was, for me a disappointment. I am unable to eat gluten, and its a serious allergy so imagine my disappointment when I discovered a lot of the breakfast items were laid on bread - not the resorts fault of course, they couldnt know about my dietary requirements, but when I tried to explain my predicament and asked if something could be cooked fresh they didn't understand me and said it would cost extra. There was next to no fruit left, so in the end i had a nice omelette and a dry piece of water melon for breakfast.

The Day Spa had no staff so cant comment on that.

The positive is that we used the resort shuttle to go check out the local beach and had a lovely fresh seafood dinner there, and my husband loved his round of golf.

So in short, we had two nights here but wish it was one.

Room Tip: Pool access seems to be the way to go.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank krystalc27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

stayed here for 3 nights during early April. thoroughly enjoyed my time here, we had a small suite with pool access, room was clean and very spacious with a comfy bed, what more do you need?!

the pool area is great, only downside was the swim up bar never had any staff which meant getting drinks around the pool was difficult. Didn't venture to the private beach but did see it as I played golf, didn't look anything special but was very private other than I guess the odd stray golfer!

food was good, nice selection at very reasonable prices considering the 5* status. Breakfast was a delight with a vast variety,struggled to get the eggs cooked to my liking but that is me being fussy.

the golf course is amazing, that being said it is my first round in Thailand so have nothing to compare it to other than European courses. The caddies were very helpful and a great laugh all the way round. I hired clubs, there wasn't a lot of choice, some clubs I had never heard of, and some old and new Callaway sets. I found the equipment hire quite expensive, roughly £40 for the new Callaway's for 18 holes!!!

Room Tip: there are free shuttles available to Patong beach, if you are planning on going make sure you get th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We went with a big group of 20 people and Jitty and the team at Mission Hills were very accommodating in helping us to get the best price and organising transport.

Not cheap - i think everyone expects golf in Asia to be dirt-cheap - but it was pretty much the best deal we could get for 18 holes on Phuket with carts.

The course was in great nick and had some challenging holes at times, but others that were fairly straight forward. Greens were about average speed, so not too difficult. Caddies were a mixed bag in terms of helping with putts.

Overall great views, course was great and lush, some unique holes and friendly service. It was a quiet course too - never saw another group out there!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
toronto
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night as we were transferring to Phi Phi Island the next day. So unfortunately we did not get to try the golf course.

The hotel is visually appealing and we received a nice cold drink upon check-in. But as soon as we got into our room it was clear that this hotel is falling apart. The room, although it was just cleaned, it felt neglected. There is only one restaurant for food. All the options on the menu were undesirable and food not so great. Breakfast was also nothing special.

It is really too bad as this hotel has great potential.

Staying here for one night is ideal, I definitely would not spend any longer.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Thalang District hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Grand entrance and buildings, quick and easy check in and staff happy to help with anything. Restaurant food was average with not much choice considering nothing else was around. We stayed here for 2 nights in March so my partner could play golf, the course was really nice to go around but there isn't much else here to do and can get quite boring (I rather busy Patong). We got massages here which were average, especially for the price! Our room was ground floor over looking the 18th green which was really nice, some people say the rooms are dated but honestly it's Thailand - they feel like thai rooms, so I don't know what other people expect. The room was large as well.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I recently booked a trip for four people for a 1 night stay at Mission Hills, Phuket. The correspondence was very good, and the transfer was at the airport to pick us up as requested. The hotel is large and very impressive, and just ten minutes drive from the airport. The rooms are not big, but are modern, clean and comfortable, and the bar and restaurant was excellent.The most impressive feature of this hotel was the golf course however, a nice mix of challenging holes and easier par 3s, all set in stunning surroundings by the sea. It is not cheap, but then nothing in Phuket is, so I would definitely recommend for golfers.

Room Tip: Would recommend the rooms with direct pool access.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JPSG81
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My family recently spent month in Phuket for the summer and this allowed me to spend time there too during several visits. As a lover of golf I was keen to experience the delights of Phuket. People raved about other local clubs but most reviews, including those from farang expats living in Phuket warned me off Mission Hills. How wrong they all were. Having been a 4 or lower handicap for the last 20 years and having played golf on most continents, I feel I know a little about golf. Golf to me is an experience, it's not about hype (although from time to time I do relent and pay through the nose for an experience on the hallowed turf of the more famous courses), it is as much about the surroundings, the design and playability for all abilities as it is about the treatment and welcome. Just because Mr Woods et al have played at your course does not make it a great course for your average Joe.

I took the chance an booked Mission Hills online. The first thing I received was an extremely attentive and comprehensive response from a front office manager (Khun Prapa). I was pleasantly surprised to see that the green fee was substantially less than it's more illustrious neighbours. On arriving at the club I was welcomed like a long lost friend in the pro shop by the gorgeous and charming Khun Mint and Khun Air). The Thais excel at service but the golf staff at Mission Hills were the best I experienced on the Island.

Because it was low season, I decided to take 2 caddies because survival is difficult for them at this time of year. Having used the comfortable but slightly dated changing rooms and put my belongings in the complimentary locker I was soon on the first tee. The course is a fairly typical Nicklaus type design with many elevated greens, generous fairways, water and many options for varying level of golfer. The course makes its way out to the Andaman sea with some breathtaking views of the sea, its spectacular island formations and the inland Phuket hills. It then turns back and follows the mangrove back towards the club.

The par 72 is a mix of challenging 4's a good length variation of par 3's and depending on the wind and your ability 4 risk and reward but reachable par 5's. The course condidtion, given that it is low season was excellent, my only complaint was that a few greens seemed to be affected by what I suspect was sea water spray and the damaged areas has been sanded leaving a couple of holes with slightly less than perfect greens. The balance of the greens were true and of a good speed.

My favourite par 4 was probably the 3rd hole which plays along a waterway and requires an accurate 3 wood followed by an opportunity to score with a short iron, but miss your line on either the first or second shot and you could have a high number. My favourite 3 was the 16th which has water and bunkers to contend with and the best shot to a back pin is probably a soft fade. Because I was on in 2 with a green that is surrounded by water and protrudes out into the Andaman sea, the 13th is my favourite 5 although the shorter 2nd with its sand and water down the left and double island green is also a fun risk and reward hole.

The caddies were great, both of them knowledgeable, gregarious and fun to be around. Playing on my own, their company really turned a good into an excellent day. I had the course more or less to myself and I was done in around 2 hours and around 72 blows. I am no fan of 6 hours rounds nor the common sight in Thailand of the 5 and 6 ball grouping so this was really a refreshing change. The speed was due to the mandatory cart and to be honest, I would have preferred to walk. The course could easily be walked as it is relatively flat and without massive treks from Green to Tee.

Later in my trip I took my wife to the club for lunch, just for her to experience the sheer calming influence of the club and its surrounding natural beauty, sadly our restaurant experience was less than great. Indeed if I was rating this alone, I would score a 1/5 but that's for another day and I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, so good was my original experience.

After my round, due to its speed I thought a nice Thai massage to ease away my aches and pains would be a great end to a great experience. The problem is that the Spa had no staff on site and seems, sadly, to have very little traffic. I was told that staff could be made available in an hour or so, but that didn't seem to appeal to me so I left - feeling content at having had a great golfing experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family