Laoliang Island Resort
US$60
US$56
  • Breakfast included
Ban Ao Thong(Trang)(Great Value!)
US$17
US$93
US$91
US$150
US$106
US$48
US$44
  • Pool
Thapwarin Resort(Ko Ngai)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$57
  • Breakfast included
Mayalay Beach Resort(Ko Ngai)(Great Value!)
US$53
US$70
Hotels.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsbeach barthree daysan adventurepay bahtgreat place to get awaystaff was friendlytentsislandwaterclimbersseakayakingsandaccommodationmealselectricitysoap
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have been excited about going to this place for the last couple of years...beautiful white sand beaches basically all to yourselves....luxury tents with comfy cots . lounge mats and pillows to hang out on...and charming décor. Tranquil restaurant and bar with wood chairs and decks. What we got....Old tents with mattresses on the floor. A broken light that barely lit up the tent. Nothing in the tent but a bunch of sand. The restaurant? a bunch of wood benches, and no bar area, and food that was used again and again, just prepared a little different for lunch and dinner,,yuck . The worst food on my entire 7 week trip. And no option to get food anywhere else! You cant have food in your tent because of bugs and animals, so you are stuck to eat there. The staff is impersonal, and could care less., unless you are drinking and running up your bill, or getting talked into doing some overpriced rock-climbing,,then you might get someone to show an interest in you...otherwise...you are left to fend for yourselves. The music from the Bar is way too loud at night to get a good nights sleep, because they have to sell that liquor! keep the drinkers entertained and spending! so if you are there for some relaxation and quietness, you may not get the serenity you are looking for depending on the crowd. The island itself is beautiful, they don't keep the accommodations up, and they are run down and NOTHING like the pictures on the website...where is that place? not here! there is piles of junk and old mattress piled up behind the bathrooms, and I feel that the whole place is false advertisement. Such a shame, because its a beautiful island! the fisherman island next door is a fun kayak ride, and a great little day trip. The boat ride there and back is pricey, and honestly the whole place isn't worth the trouble. Many more islands to spend your vacation at in Thailand...I would skip this one for sure! I honestly wanted to ask for my money back if I could of!

Room Tip: stay on another island! all the tents are old and not as advertised!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank elizacass
Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

This campground this an island paradise. It's a four hour drive by van from Krabi and another hour by long tail boat. The view when you approach the island is breathtaking and if you're lucky dolphins will greet you. I saw dolphins offshore two times, on both sides of the island. They were probably the same ones. The campground is the only accommodation on the island. You get 3 tasty meals a day with your nightly rate. The tents are big with a bedroom separated from a front room. The mattresses need replacing. The springs are broken making for a very uneven sleeping surface. Bedding is provided as well as a fan which works at night when they turn the generator on. If you keep the tent zipped up at all times you can avoid getting Mosquitos in your tent. But ants and little gray bugs get in thru holes in the bottom of the tent. I got eaten alive by mosquitos in the shower in spite of the anti mosquito burners placed around the bathroom hut. The water pressure varied throughout the day from medium to a trickle. The wash house was kept pretty clean but remember to bring your own soap, shampoo etc. Towels are provided. I was disappointed in the snorkeling because the coral in front of the beach seemed dead and there weren't that many fish. It was the same on the 500 baht snorkeling trip organized by the place. You can also climb the limestone walls on one side of the island in the afternoon once the sun moves away from the wall face. They have gear but it seemed that most people brought their own. Kayaks are available for free. Paddle out to the neighboring island but watch out for glass on the beach. The views are exquisite and there is only one person living there. The fisherman's village has been deserted for some time. The water is so warm you can sit in it all day and enjoy the breathtaking scenery. Depending on how lucky you are, you may have a quiet experience with only 15 other people or so at the campground. The capacity is 70 I think and you lose some of that deserted island feel with so many people milling around. Apparently the place is only open for six months out of the year so check ahead of time. One more side note, the staff is nice but they spend a lot of time hanging out in hammocks, playing with their phones. If you need something, be persistent. No wifi. Drinking water is available at all times. Bring a flashlight. All in all, I has a great experience and beautiful pictures to show for it.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Thanks to Andaman we spent 4 nights at this tiny beach paradise. We would not have chosen it on our own. It is quite involved to get here so four nights is about right. We are not climbers but filled our time with snorkeling, kayaking, beach-combing and just relaxing. It is all about the location and privacy, not service or food, although both were OK (high season). Bathroom was kept clean and showers usable but expect low water pressure. Be sure to kayak to the nearby island for snorkeling. This is where I was thrilled by a sea snake swimming with me! Snorkeling of the beach of either island is excellent - best near low tide but be careful not to damage the coral. We slept well there, the fan kept us cool and the beds were not as uncomfortable (hard) as others we experienced in Thailand. Some wildlife on the island also: monitor lizards, various birds, and hermit crabs who will steal your shells if you leave them outside the tent ;-). Kayak around the island for good exercise if weather (wind) permits. Staff will advise you on this.

Room Tip: The higher numbered tents are further from the sound of nighttime generator.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2013

this is my favorite quiet island in Thailand. one beautiful beach, great sea, good snorkeling, kayaking, and rock climbing off the beach. laoliang is everything i was looking for in a island-beach getaway.

most of southern thailand has SOOO MANY tourists during the high season. it was great to go to an island with less then 40 guests. And the beach next door was even nicer with two people living there.

the tents on the beach were the most comfortable tents i have ever slept in. two rooms, two beds and a fan. it is only a couple of meters walk to the beach.

the food was very good and many of the dishes were true Thai food. If you are looking for your Thai comfort food like pad thai, green curry then you will be disappointed. but i had the best Gaang Som and Matsaman chicken here on Laoliang

overall, I highly recommend this place. whether you are looking to relax, or be active, this place is a great retreat from the tourist zones of southern thailand.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank bultnisse
Reviewed 7 March 2013

People complain too much on this website, can’t they understand that this island is totally isolated and that everything has to be brought in every day by boat. Of course the food is pretty basic, really, what do people expect, gourmet cuisine for THB 1,500 a night including all food and accommodation. Get real! The food is really good value for the price charged, I enjoyed every meal I ate there. The every-other-day seafood buffet is especially welcome. I heard people moaning about the food while I stayed here recently and couldn’t believe what a sad bunch of losers they were.

This is paradise almost lost. There is simply nowhere else like it in Thailand. Everyone agrees the location is 100% paradisical, why can’t they stop expecting too much for the money they have paid? We loved this place, it is wonderful precisely because it is not over-developed – no 7-11’s, just one quiet little bar, no sleaze, almost no concrete. It’s the most beautiful tropical island I’ve ever been too, by a long chalk. People who want a la carte cuisine and room service should stick with the the hordes of mass tourists in the Holiday Inns and Best Westerns, not come here and moan on TA later. Don’t they understand that by doing so they can damage this place? I understand that some visitors had been oversold the place and were expecting luxury, so were disappointed. Thankfully our travel agent Andaman Adventures told us exactly what to expect here (and at the other destinations we visited) so we knew what to expect. I want to see Lao Liang thrive, so that I can come back, which I hope very much to do, as as far as I am concerned this is the closest place to paradise on the face of the planet.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the front row tents unless money is no problem, they aren't worth paying extra for if you are on a budget
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple