“The worst dining experience of my life”

Coleman's Dock of the Bay
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

The restaurant was about a third full on a Thursday evening yet our dinner took two hours to arrive at our table. I ordered the Beef Brisket and garlic mashed potatoes. The brisket was a chunk of fat covered by some sort of tomato foam. It was cold as were the tasteless potatoes. I had only one bite of each and lost my appetite. Save your time and money and go anywhere else but here

2  Thank Susan M

Reviewed 26 September 2013

This restaurant is in the perfect location. You can sit outside and see the St Lawrence River while you eat or eat inside. The menu had a lot of variety and the portions were large. The waitress was very friendly and service was quick. I would eat there again

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I've posted a few reviews for Alex Bay since my large family trip there this summer. That absolute best food I had in Alex Bay (not counting my trip to Canada or overnight trip at Singer Castle) was the day I chartered a boat, caught a bunch of fish, and had the "shore dinner" , If you don't know what that is (I didn't either, it's a local thing), ask me and I'll be glad to tell you. I digress. As I write a few reviews about the Alex Bay restaurants, I'm realizing there is a pattern - they are all "just ok...or slightly ok / not ok". Which is my point about Colemans.
My lady and I took the crew of eight there our first night in town...and had to wait for about 30 minutes, even though there were many tables unoccupied. But that's no big deal, since we were told this is one of the best places in town.

OK..we finally get a table and order up. Two adults and six teens - means they picked quite a variety from the menu. Some things were fine...nothing terribly bad and nothing that made us say "Yum!". I fed the kids...and that's good, but again, walked out after paying a hefty bill and wished they could have presented a little more of a dining experience. Another comment - I was told to go there for BBQ. I'll admit, I have spent many years in Texas and Alabama, so I have high expectations...but Colemans didn't even come close. If you listening Colemans - smoke that brisket "low and slow"...and let a nice bark form. In addition, I thought your portions on the BBQ were small.
I'll wrap up by saying for Alex Bay standards, Colemans sit squarely in the middle of the bell curve with most of the other restaurants I tried.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Went with a large group. Ordered the Beef Brisket. 3 quarters of the brisket was fat. No way the cook (not using Chef for a reason here) did not know he was serving pure fat to the customer. Smashed potatoes were lacking...carrots were probably from frozen. I did not send my meal back, because I was with a large group and didn't want to make a scene...others were disappointed with their food as well. On an upnote our waitress was fantastic and very accomodating such a large group.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We had lunch and found the water view perfect. The food was OK for a quick lunch. Wait service was good.