“Servers who enjoy their job”

Riley's by the River
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Diner, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We had brunch and dinner while staying in A Bay as part of our package from Captain Thomson. Brunch was fresh fruit, eggs, French toast, pastries, sausage, bacon, and cereal. It was relaxing and the staff was very happy and friendly. For dinner we had chicken parm that was good.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

This place has a great atmosphere but the manager that was on duty was a royal you know what. Our friends meal (prime rib) came out and it was not cooked properly, so he sent it back and it still came back wrong. The waiter told the manager and she came over and asked what was wrong and we explained and she said she would take it off the bill. When we received the bill the prime rib was still on it and when we questioned her she started raising her voice at us saying I never said I would take it off the bill, I said I would take something off the bill. She took a total of $6.95 off the bill, the prime rib was $21.95 and our friend didn't even eat it.

I don't think this place will be in business much longer if they continue to have this manager running it.

1  Thank KBCJLC
Reviewed 19 July 2012

There are two choices for breakfast; a buffet or menu selection. The buffet offered the usual options of about a dozen choices of cereal, eggs, meat, french toast, fruit and pastries. Juice is not included. The menu offers a varied breakfast menu for about the same price or less. Seating is comfortable and service well done, but the views are not much of the channel, but the parking lot and ferries.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

I ordered fish and chips for $9.95. It came on a fish shaped plate with one piece of breaded and fried fish, a handful of french fries and a small cup of cole slaw. I love cole slaw but theirs had a strange after taste so I didn't eat much of it. The fish looked wonderful on the top, golden brown, but when I cut into it it was full of water or grease that oozed out. The bottom crust wasn't a crust, but a gooey mess.

My husband had their smothered chicken special for the day and really liked it. It was a chicken breast covered with melted cheese, mushrooms and grilled onions.

The service was friendly and good.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Stayed at Cpt. Thomson's Resort (next door) as part of a group for four nights and as a result, breakfasts and one dinner were included. I enjoyed it so much that I had dinner here one night on my own.

For breakfast, the best option is the buffet -- it is pretty comprehensive w/ real (not powdered) scrambled eggs, good bacon, sausage links, oatmeal, french toast, etc. I particularly like the wide assortment of pastries (mini-bagels, donut holes, etc.) and the good selection of individually boxed cereals. There is also a make you own toast area. What made the breakfast buffet better than most was the fruit selection, which included both fresh cantelope slices and great fresh strawberries.

For the group dinner, we had a buffet that included chicken marsala, veggie lasagne and great prime rib. The guy cutting the prime ribe was excellent as to addressing individual requests as to rare, medium and well-done. It was excellent prime rib. There were also a good selection of veggies and potatoes. The only mildly disappointing aspect to this meal was dessert - an apple pie that would have been so much better if it had been warmed and served with ice cream.

On my own, one night I had the shrimp scampi -- absolutely delicious! It comes served with rice, but the waitress accomodated my request for a baked potato. All in all, an excellent meal.

The restaurant was very clean; service was great -- the waitress remembered that I preferred decaf coffee. The views are part of the attraction, but beware of the sun, which can be a bit overpowering shining through the window. Pricing seems a little high, but it is a resort town and only open from May to October. The advantage here is that the menu is a little more upscale with more choices that the standard burgers, fries offered most everywhere else in AB. On the other hand, it is still casual dining -- wooden booths, paper napkins, etc.

Highly recommend this place if you are in Alexandria Bay.