“A Bay Vacation”

Bonnie Castle Resort
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Alexandria Bay
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Friendly staff, rooms are clean, in need of a little updating, and a microwave.
The outdoor pool area needed a few more umbrellas, only two, and 95 degrees out, so not much shade. The view from the pool would have been perfect except for the boats on trailers blocking the view of the water.
There were three resturants on site. The Pointe, which was on the water, nice place to get a burger, and relax and enjoy the view. The service here was great. The bartender pitched right in to help the waitress. The Mannor Resturant we used for breakfast. The first day the service was teririble. We didn't get our homefries with our meal, and when we asked for them only one order came out after the main entree was finished The second day it was great. Our server was plesant we got all of our food at the same time and didn't have to ask for anything. Different staff on the second
.All in all a nice place, Would go back again

Room Tip: If you want a view of the river, ask for a room on the water, and an upper floor.
1  Thank KNSBRB
Christine P, General Manager at Bonnie Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank You for your recent stay at Bonnie Castle, we appreciate your business and all feedback. I am sorry that your first breakfast visit wasnt what it should have been but I am glad you came back to try us again and were satisfied..

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We called to make reservations in April 2013 for a stay in July 2013 . We were promised a room overlooking Boldt Castle and rooms next to each other , when We arrived the hotel started loosing point from the word go .... The reservation for my room was spelled incorrectly so upon arrival I was told I had no room , Then They didn't give us a room overlooking the castle , And My room was no where near the other group traveling in our party . ... The clerk at the hotel did try to make up for the error and he gave us rooms near one another but when we went to those rooms they were not the King Suites we had booked but standard doubles ,,, We decided it was more important to be near one another than to have king beds so we just dealt with it . .. But again we were to be quickly disappointed when we discovered that one of the two rooms was not clean the other non smoking room smelled like a wet dirty ashtray ... YUK ... so one of the rooms was moved again and housekeeping was sent in to clean the other . But again luck would have it that the air conditioning did not work .. we had finally had enough and wanted to speak to the manager as the front end clerks were trying .... but the many issues kept overcoming their abilities . The Hotel manager did come down to assist and within a few minutes gave us Jacuzzi rooms to compensate for the disaster of the day and the rooms overall were clean . Apparently as mentioned in previous reviews the hotel has changed hands and they are attempting to renovate the hotel and grounds and especially the staff , There were a few more glitches during our stay .. Like the Jacuzzi did not work in one of the rooms and a lamps were broken in another but as mentioned the manager did everything she could to help improve our stay ,, Overall I'd say a 7 out of 10 . for the hotel ... The restaurant was a 10+ for a fantastic brunch .. that's the only meal we had there but the manor house restaurant is amazingly beautiful , beautiful views and excellent staff

5  Thank MaryIusihahn
Christine P, General Manager at Bonnie Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you for giving me the oppurtunity to make things right with your stay. We truly appreciate your business and we are striving towards excellent customer service. Bonnie Castle is an amazing place to be and we Thank you for your business..

Reviewed 8 July 2013

This place has a new owner as of 2012. They have been fixing up the place. It has a new outdoor and indoor pool.The landscaping on the grounds has been improved as well as the dockside bar. The rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. Staff was friendly. I have stayed here twice this year and will stay here again. The location is great being right across the river from the castle and it is an easy walk into Alex Bay.

1  Thank Daddyo1947

Thank you for your recent stay at Bonnie Castle, we appreciate your business and your feedback. We are truly happy to have new owners that are so paasionate about the property and to bring it back to the glory it deserves. Thank you for your support..

Reviewed 28 June 2013

They are thieves and liars.

They charge me twice for a room after I asked them to put me in different room because mosquitoes were all over in the first room.

They called me at 12 mid-night to tell me I have occupied two rooms so they will charge me two times. After I talked to them directly they say it is fine and it is their mistake. But when I checked out they called me and said you will be charge again.

Look clean but old inside. But customer treatment absolutely zero. They literally ruined my 5-day vacation.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank aam49516
Christine P, General Manager at Bonnie Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Thank you for your recent Trip to Bonnie Castle, I am sorry you feel the customer service did not meet your needs. I would love the oppurtunity to discuss this with you, please feel free to contact me.
Christine

Reviewed 9 June 2013

After 20 years my wife and I finally made it back to the 1000 islands and one of my old haunts in my younger days Alexandria Bay NY. We chose to stay at the Bonnie castle resort cause the rooms were very comfortable 20 years AGO THEY are as well now. We got an off season rate of 79 dollars and found the place very nice. I guess the resort had fallen into a state of disrepair until it was sold to new owners last year but the repairs that were made and the improvements were noticeable and that made our stay even more enjoyable. Thats not to say there were a few minor problems one of the light fixtures had a broken bulb and one of the towel bars were broken but they had it fixed in rather short order.
NOW room was a nice king bed very cozy the room it self was very very clean had a coffee maker in the room as well as a mini fridge . The restaurant was excellent a bit pricey but if the food is top notch which it was it was well worth the price.

Room Tip: Ask for the king room
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mike_Yahwak
Christine P, General Manager at Bonnie Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

We are truly delighted that you chose to come back to the Bonnie Castle 20 years after your first visit. As you can see we are in the process of getting the glory back to the Resort. With the new owners in place and a staff that really cares about this place we have a winning combination for what it takes. We hope to see you again

Reviewed 7 June 2013

I have heard this place has recently changed hands and it is easy to see. I stayed at this hotel in March and the staff did everything they could to ensure a comfortable stay amongst the repairs.

The views are the best in the area. The food was definitely without a doubt the best I have had in a long time. I STRONGLY recommend the food and have no clue how anyone could argue that. It is a little pricey but well worth it!

The place was out dated; however, you can see where the new ownership is doing everything possible to bring this place up to speed. I have to say I spoke to the owners and they have the heart it takes to make this place a castle again. To compare this place to everything else in the area, it is par to say the least.

The staff was amazing; since our visit was during off season Angie helped us find things to do and was the nicest person I have talked to in ages. If you have a problem with the staff at this place, I would recommend you stay at the Marriott in Watertown where we stayed the night before we stayed here and compare.

Room Tip: 1. ask for a recently updated room. 2. rooms on the river have a great view but the balcony's...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mrdahenry

Thank you for your recent stay at the Bonnie Castle Resort. We are truly blessed with new owners who care deeply about the facility and the community. Thank you for the oppurtunity to show you that we are heading in the right direction. We appreciate your nice comments and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

I picked this hotel mostly because it's right on the St. Lawrence River, overlooking Alexandria Bay. It looks like the new owners have been putting some effort to fix the place up lately, but it does seem a little tired in certain ways. The place is actually in two different buildings - one closer to the river with a parking lot in between. We were in the building overlooking the working marina, which wasn't too scenic but didn't really bother us. A walk around the grounds was pleasant. Staff was extremely helpful. Not sure I'd go back right away, but the place does have some potential. If you do go, it's probably not a bad idea to spend the money and stay in a riverfront view room.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BBailey182
Christine P, General Manager at Bonnie Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for your recent stay at the Bonnie Castle Resort, we are striving for improvements every day. New ownership has been a blessing for the Resort, the owners really care about the facility and are working towards making this a hot spot once again. Be sure to check are facebook and web page for renovation updates. Thank You, Christine

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria Bay
#3 of 10 in Gananoque
Rock Ledge Motel
Rock Ledge Motel
#1 of 14 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Bonnie Castle Resort? Share your experiences!