“On the Right Track”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Alexandria Bay
United States - East Coast
“On the Right Track”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were pleasantly surprised. Our experience was comfortable and enjoyable. Having called the hotel a couple of weeks before our stay, I found the service to be outstanding right from the initial phone call. The room descriptions by the reservationist were completely accurate. The hotel was quite sold out by the time I booked our reservation a couple of weeks before our stay. My requests were very specific. I was accurately informed of the view and the bedding of the rooms we stayed in for the weekend. Here's the way to go here - the hotel is updating itself. So, 1. request a renovated room, 2. be specific as to the view you expect. We found the restaurant to be needing updating. The view from the front porch of the restaurant is of Boldt Castle and the St Lawrence River. I really wonder why they have not put a bar outside at this one of a kind locations. Alex Bay needs an upscale outdoor bar - this could be it. The wrap around porch is reminiscent of a charmed period. While we were there a couple of employees, in particular, stood out to us - Courtney in the dining room has energy to spare and an attitude that beams brightness. And, Alice, the housekeeping manager was extra sweet in ensuring that we had everything we needed for our rooms. Overall, our weekend stay was super and we will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room. Be specific as to view you prefer.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank circledarling
Christine P, General Manager at Bonnie Castle Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for choosing Bonnie Castle for your recent visit to Alexandria Bay. We appreciate your business and your feedback on the staff. We are striving for excellent customer service and I will be sure to share your experience with the staff you mentioned.
Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Palmyra, New York
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Very old and stale smelling. Seems dirty. We were married here 22 years ago, and expected at least a little updating in that time, but nothing has been remodeled since then. Yuk! Very disappointed. Booked another room for my nieces wedding, but decided to change hotels due to dirt and because we only needed 1 night not 2 (which the hotel requires). We called 5 days in advance and were informed we would be charged for 1 night since they have a 7 day cancellation policy. Be careful of a hotel that makes you stay for 2 nights and has a 7 day cancellation. Go to Riveredge... it's worth the price difference.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank surprised010
Christine P, General Manager at Bonnie Castle Resort, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback on Bonnie Castle, please know that I am available 7 days a week to speak with a dissatisfied customer that has complaints. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of renovating Bonnie Castle and although we are not where we want to be yet, we have come along way and will get there. Please feel free to contact me so that I can help you with your stay.

Travellers are raving about these Alexandria Bay hotels

Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I were there for the 4th of July holiday. Our room was a bit outdated but clean. The beds were hard, but we prefer softer bedding. We dined at the main restaurant each of the 3 nights we were there. The food and service were great. We had lunch one of the days at the Pointe Bar & Grill. Again, found the food and service to be great. Alexandria Bay is a quaint small town. Some reviews complained that the resort was like a "70's motel". All the resorts in Alexandrea Bay are setup like motels. Most are marinas and such. This was not a horrible place as some reviews make it out to be. My husband and I will return and recommend this place to our friends.

3 Thank Lori B
Thank you for your recent stay at Bonnie Castle, we appreciate your business. We also can appreciate that you can see we are moving forward and striving to make Bonnie Castle a Better Place. Nice to hear that you will reccomend us to your friends and that we will see you again. Thank You again
Christine
San Diego
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was an okay place. Our room was okay but they really do need to renovate the place. The rooms look old and tired. There was a small fridge and coffee maker in the room. Wi-fi was really bad there. We ate at the restaurant there, Sunday brunch. The place was beautifully decorated, clean and a nice view. However the food was not good. My husband was the smart one and got an omelette made. I tried a few things to include the hot meat selection of ham and pork loin, over cooked and tasteless. I would choose another place to stay and eat.

Room Tip: I would not stay at this resort again.
1 Thank Donner101
Thank you for trying Bonnie Castle, we appreciate your feedback. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, we are in the process of renovating the property and we still have more to do. Please try us again and I can assure you wont be dissapointed. As for the Sunday Brunch I have notified our Chef to make sure we do better. Thank You
Buffalo
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This appears to be an older property that was refreshed. The location is great in Alex Bay, directly across from the Boldt Castle. Stayed in a standard room with King Bed. The room was very cramped but up to date. I should have looked at the Jacuzzi room as well. The price was correct I thought for the location and room size being high season. The room was clean, internet was strong, bed was very comfy and the flat screen TV was a pleasure. There are two pools and two restaurants on property. When traveling to Alex Bay, I recommend considering this location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeff R
Thank you for posting your positive experience with us at Bonnie Castle, we appreciate the feedback and look forward to having you again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 July 2014

After reading a lot of the reviews, I decided to give this place a chance. I was very taken back by this "resort." I had read review after review of how this place was renovated and completely redone. Maybe my definition of renovation is different than that of Upstate New York. The entire place screams creepy 70s motel. I had never been to Alexandria Bay and the area overall was a little behind the times, but I was very apprehensive to even stay the night after checking in. I did, however, and survived; but will never go back again.
At check in, a woman Bonnie, seemed very overwhelmed. There was a "glitch" in the website and they only had one river-view room. I was understanding and we were giving another room without a view. I gave my mom the river-view room. The paperwork to do so seemed like it was far too confusing for her to comprehend. After this was straightened out, we asked about the ferry to see the Boldt castle. She stated that the last boat was at 6pm and the castle was only open to that time as well. We had read online that it was open until 7:30 and she seemed to be surprised. We ended up purchasing the ferry tickets and asked the workers on the boat about the times. They confirmed that the last boat was at 7:20 and the castle was open until 7:30. It was baffling to me that the person at the front desk, selling the tickets, in a resort where you can see the castle, would not know the operating hours.
As for the rooms. Our first room had such a pungent odor of mildew or must or something along those lines that we had to change rooms. A different lady at the front desk was helpful and apologetic. The 2nd room had the same look, but without the odor. All of the furniture looked pretty old and the chairs were so stained and dirty that I was afraid to touch them. The Jacuzzi was a joke and was green like the 80s and was crammed into a small bathroom. This probably explains the odor in the previous room (not enough ventilation). The rooms did have a flat LCD Tv,
I could go on an on with things, like the restaurant.... but I think that gets the feel. I don't want people to be blindsided, like I was, thinking this was a nice little resort to stay in a quite town with a view of a castle. It's a rundown motel with a pretty view that needs a COMPLETE overhaul, not just new sheets and a LCD TV. Very sad since the place could have so much potential.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Karen K
Thank you for your recent stay at Bonnie Castle. I am sorry to hear of your dissapointment with our facility. We are working every day at making Bonnie Castle a better place to stay, please feel free to contact me so that we can talk.
Iroquois, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Arrival

We left home at 1:15 pm to get to Alexandria Bay for a 3 pm check in time, but the main reason was that being July 4th we knew it was going to be crazy and A. Bay didn’t disappoint us. Traffic was great and customs was quick, no line up at the border

Our Room

Check in was quick and efficient by the very attentive front office staff. We were given room 229 an end unit on the main level, which came with two double beds (which were very comfortable), desk/chair and a Led TV, also there is a area before the bathroom where there was a great mini fridge and a second sink with a mirror. Across from the sink was a good sized closet, the room itself was in excellent shape and kept that way by the great housekeeping staff. The view from the room was very nice too with a view of the St. Lawrence River

Bonnie Castle

Bonnie Castle is a good sized resort with 129 rooms many with Jacuzzis. The resort also has a pretty big pool which has been totally renovated from a very deplorable state it was in a couple of years ago. It is now a big bright area with enough chairs and very comfortable sun lounges for everybody . While we were there, they probably could have used a couple more umbrellas if it ever got very busy. They also have an indoor pool with a hot tub which we didn’t use this trip. The resort also includes 3 restaurants/bars for whatever mood you’re in. Manor House Restaurant for all your elegant dining, Riverside Sports Bar for all your sporting needs and The Pointe Bar and Grill for all your casual dining, where all the boaters hang out. The last two restaurants mentioned offer a Happy Hour from 4-6pm where domestic beer can be had for $2

Restaurants/Outings

I ate all my breakfasts at the Riveredge resort, not that I couldn’t get a good breakfast at Bonnie Castle but I thought the exercise would do me good. I wasn’t impressed with what I received from Riveredge in a way of messed up orders on a couple of occasions and very slow service on another

We had supper twice at The Pointe both the meals and service was good, we also did their Happy Hour once on a different occasion

We ate two of our other suppers at the Riverside Sports Bar where Sandy ate the Crab Cakes on one occasion and said they were the best she ever ate. Music was provided one night we ate there which just added to the enjoyment of the night. We also did stop by for their Happy Hour once.

At The Pointe and Riverside Sports Bar we noticed the prices to be very reasonable and you get a good deal for your money.

Another spot we visited a couple of times was the Top of The Bay which is about a mile from Bonnie Castle on the river where we had a couple of cold ones while watching all the boats come in and listening to great music

On the only rainy day we had, we went for our usual trip to Boldt Castle and once again learned something new about the place. It is always fun to go and see what work has been done.

Of course a trip to Alexandria Bay wouldn’t be complete without a day for shopping

Final Statement

Our trip to A. Bay was probably one of our best trips in a while, from the comfort of the room to the fine food/service and good times we had while making new friends with some of the staff this is the reason we will be going back at the end of the month for our anniversary

The trip home was uneventful, we stopped in Ogdensburg for gas and to hit Walmart for few things needed at home, after that Customs was a breeze

Room Tip: We have stayed here before and never had a room we didn't like, but I would ask for a room on th...
1 Thank Will-Sandy
Thank you for the amazing review. We have a dedicated staff and ownership that has tremendous passion for Bonnie Castle and we are striving to making this a better place every day. We look forward to having you again at Bonnie Castle.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria Bay
#1 of 14 in Alexandria Bay
Capt.'s Inn & Suites
Capt.'s Inn & Suites
#9 of 14 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Bonnie Castle Resort? Share your experiences!