“Not All That Bad”
Review of Boardwalk Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alexandria Bay
Boardwalk Motel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Alexandria Bay
Reviewed 17 March 2007

I bring a large group to this resort each August. We have had the opportunity to see improvements made each year and have always enjoyed our stay. I will be bringing the largest group yet this year. All the additional people are coming because of word-of-mouth from those who have joined us in the previous years. We have found the rooms clean and comfortable, but don't spend all day in our rooms, so they're a good place to sleep at the end of a busy day.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank bld546

Reviewed 29 August 2006

The pictures on the internet are only from the outside, we pulled into the parking lot and thought this looks nice. You pay for your room get your luggage and then you open the door to your room, and you may want to turn around get in your car and not look back.
I was not looking for 5 Star accomodation here, I just wanted a clean room and clean bedding.

First sight of my room is "Oh My", then I check to make sure the sheets and blankets are clean, The sheets looked clean but the blanket was disgusting. There was some nasty spots all over it. I thought well at least the sheets are clean, I brought my own pillows, I just wont cover up with anything.

I look down by the side of the bed and I can see the Bay. Yes from my room, the floor that is. There is 1" gap between the floor and walls so you get a bayside view and can share your room with whatever decides to crawl in there with you. Let me tell you I slept (what little I got) with the lights on, one eye open and no blankets and I got to pay $116 plus taxes for this luxury resort poolside room.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Josie L
Reviewed 27 August 2006

PLEASE save your money and your health. We just got back from an overnight in Alex Bay at this "resort". My wife is talking about drafting up a letter to the health board. I know what you're thinking, because I fell for it too, "there's only a few bad reviews, I'll book anyway." Let me hit the high points for you. We stayed in one of the "Cabins". This is all true and not inflated in any way. This information should be known. We stepped in; there's dried blood on the comforter, visible dirt you could see and feel with your hand under the sheet, the floor was stained all over, lamp was missing a bulb, crushed bugs in the drapes, and the drape rod had been pulled out of the wall so many times and rescrewed that there were at least a dozen screw holes in the drywall from it. There was a back door that had been kicked in so now the knob had been removed and it had been caulked in place. Our plan was to stay out on the town as long as possible and then get up early and leave. We got back at 11:30, spent 20 minutes killing spiders we found everywhere, slept in our clothes on top of the sheets and then got up at 6 and ran out. I even left the light on all night hoping it would deter the bugs and spiders from coming out. I told the front desk all of this and they truly sounded like they had heard it before and didn't care. If we would of had a blanket from home we would have slept in the car. Please don't put your family or yourself through this.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank iamdagger1
Reviewed 24 August 2006

When we arrived they gave us our room key and didn't tell us where the room was....We had to go back in to ask where the room was located, we ended up across the street in a smelly cabin style room, it had 2 bedrooms with no doors, NO PHONES and ac didn't work, the main door to outside had cracks in it. 2 other doors that lead to outside where screwed shut. The Bathroom was GROSS Black Tub. No lamp shades over the lights. The bedding Stunk! It looked dirty. I went back to ask for my money back, They didn't seem surprised! They didn't even ask why, they just gave me my money back. We went to stay at Sir Robert Peel Motor Lodge on Rt 12- What a breath of fresh air compaired to the horrible experience at the Boardwalk. We ended up saving money due to the new hotel being cheaper!!!!

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank riebear
Reviewed 26 June 2006

My girlfriends and I rented the house. Our experience was that the house was clean and pleasant . We were provided with fresh towels and found the house to be quite comfortable.

Suggestions for improvement: new flooring in downstairs bathroom, new air conditioners that work, and working outlets on that wonderful outside deck.

We all agree we would stay here again (providing it was in the house as that was where we had a positive experience).

D Page

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank Darlene P
Reviewed 8 June 2006

I stayed one night recently. It was inexpensive and within easy walking distance to the center of town. I had read all the negative reviews so I asked to see the room they were going to give me before deciding. It was clean, new carpeting and flooring in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable. Basic. Nothing fancy, but that isn't what I was looking for. The owner was friendly and frustrated at all the negative reviews. He says he's been working on the place and planning new furniture next. The towels were kind of flimsy--oh well.....I would stay there again. The pool looked nice but I didn't use it. Too cold when I was there. Looked like nice docking for boats. There were picnic tables and grills all over.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank caribbeangail
A TripAdvisor Member
Williamsville, NY
Reviewed 13 September 2005

The place was nothing like the webpage. At check in, we were directed across the street, drove up a pathway into a wooded area where there were cabins. I thought we would be staying in a hotel overlooking the river. We were never told they had this other section. The room was small with outdated, delapitaded furniture...food crumbs between the sheets of the bed, lumpy pillows and a musty smell. We never asked for a cabin. The air conditioning unit was in the wall and sounded like a freight train. For added comfort, there was a big square floor fan that knocked you off your feet even when you set it on the lowest setting...Windows were painted shut and had cobwebs and spiders between the screens. TV reception was lousy, if you could hear it over the fan and air conditioner. The bathroom was tiny with no place in the shower to put a bar of soap, shampoo or a washcloth. You had to keep stepping out and reach everything off the sink.

A group in the other cabin was drinking and shouting all night long. We had 1-2 hours of sleep. When we complained to the owner that we had vary inadequate lodging, he said he just bought the place across the road and would be refinishing it. Oh yes, and the website also advertised a coffee pot and coffee in every room...HA! We were lucky we had water in the bathroom! The toping to this fabulous room was that a skunk relieved himself right outside our window. Since the hotel/cabins were all booked, we only stayed the 1 night. I made sure I took lots of photos so we could have laughs with my co-workers and family members.

Never again!!!

We're going back again this October, 2005....but chose another hotel, so we'll see....

• Stayed: July 2001
#4 of 14 in Alexandria Bay
Otter Creek Inn
Otter Creek Inn
#2 of 14 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Boardwalk Motel? Share your experiences!