“Gem of the 1000 Islands”
Review of Riveredge Resort

Riveredge Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Alexandria Bay
Stillwater, New York
“Gem of the 1000 Islands”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

It was my pleasure to be able to stay at the Riveredge Resort in Alexandria Bay this weekend. The only unfortunate part of the visit was leaving. It’s obvious that the physical plant is being well maintained for the most part. While there is some wear and tear, it is not a gating issue. The location of this resort could not be in a more perfect spot, easy to access, within walking distance to town; right on a bay in the St. Lawrence River. The building is a stepped back design to allow each balcony to overlook the magnificent river. The privately managed facility looks fresh, was clean and had a gracious resort feel. The staff was welcoming and very pleasant although it seems that some of the restaurant staff is new and is not working efficiently, but it’s early in the season. What they lacked in coordination they made up with being pleasant, hopefully they will get the kinks worked out before the real busy season.
As far as amenities they have an indoor and outdoor pool and hot tub, outdoor food and beverage area, well manicured grounds, boat slips with power and water, a dining room overlooking the river including outdoor deck dining area, a high end fourth floor restaurant overlooking the river and good conference and meeting capabilities. The hotel is completely spinklered with smoke detectors for safety. The rooms are a touch dated but clean and maintained with a balcony overlooking the river. One note is the A/C units are more quiet than most. Bathrooms have been updated, a bit small but clean and acceptable. The only note is that the room furniture is again clean but a bit worn, no refrigerator or microwaves, but most rooms have newer flat screen TVs. The restaurant food is very good and I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
All things considered for a resort where the busy season is from July 4th to Labor Day this is a keeper and I would not hesitate to return again. Overall I would rate this as one of the better resort hotels I have visited because of the location, what else is available in the area and given the pleasant staff and overall condition of the facility. There were no gating issues and would highly recommend a stay at the Riveredge Resort, especially just off season, because I am sure they are jammed during the summer season. Love the place.

Room Tip: Each room has a balcony with a view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank firefighterdad
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for and certainly appreciate your comments. We are working on many updates: new PTAC's, Flat Screen TV's, Refrigerators, and Room renovations. We have not completed our goals but strive every day to get closer to do so.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to our area and certainly hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed for a night as I was touring 1000 islands with friends.
River Edge resort is located in a very convenient location. Its right opposite to Boldt Castle. We had a great view of the castle from the room. There was nothing great about the room. It was decent room with all basic amenities.

On the whole - I feel this place is slightly expensive for what it offers, I was fine with it because of the location.

Breakfast was great, but we had to pay separately.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TheIndianTraveller
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your comments, we certainly appreciate hearing from our customers, the good and the bad. I an pleased to learn that you did enjoy your time with us. We sometimes do offer specials, coupons, and packages that may help with cost, so keep in touch my visiting our web site or Face Book.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to our area and we certainly hope to see you again.
Centreville
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Riveredge Resort for two days it was a great place to get together with family. We stayed in the family room with four murphy beds two washrooms and lots of space in-between
the staff and the kitchen staff were great the food is to die for what great valve for your money and the waitress I wish I got her name was GREAT couldn't do enough for you. Thank you for your kindness it was a great trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa E
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
You are very welcome! I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had nothing less than exceptional service from the staff. Thank you for choosing to stay with the Riveredge Resort during your visit to our area and Thank you for your comments. Hope to see you again!
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

My first trip to the Bay and my stay at Riveredge made it even more enjoyable. From the view, to the tiki bar, the quick walk to James St, to the friendly staff! We will be back and we'll stay longer!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for the taking the time to post this review and thank you for the wonderful comments. I am pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and received exceptional service from the staff. Our Tiki Bar is one of a kind! We look forward to seeing you again.
Hickory Corners, Michigan
Reviewed 3 June 2014

She and I have a third floor renovated room overlooking the St. Lawrence River and Boldt Castle. First and foremost the room is very nice, clean and comfortable, with a small fridge and a safe. The balcony provides an incredible view of the Castle and boat traffic, freighters included, traveling up and down the river. Beyond that in no particular order: the resort staff is friendly, and incredibly helpful, each and every person on staff is more than willing to assist. The food in the main dining room is suburb! We purchased a package so some meals were included. Last evening I ordered a filet of beef rare and I thanked the chef, because he knows what rare means. It was delicious. The package includes a boat tour of the islands which is well worth it and a self guided tour of Boldt Castle, a testament to a man's love of his wife, now under restoration. Riveredge is also a marina, so if you are a boater you get to view some very nice yachts, old wooden boats and chat with the owners. We look forward to returning next summer, this time with our boat!

Room Tip: Room 343 has fantastic view of the river
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sid D
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received exceptional service form our staff. This is what we strive for on a daily basis. We look forward to seeing you again.
Oswego, New York
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Every April I stay at the Riveredge Resort on business, as I have for the past 10 years. This year was no different and I was pleased, as always, by the accommodations and the staff. The room over looked the scenic A-Bay, which still had some remaining ice. I have attached photos of my room. The bathroom was in perfect shape, no stained grout or crud hanging out in the corners. The carpet was in good condition. The room has a home like feel with wallpaper I see others here criticize, but the room is very clean, it smells fresh and the heating and cooling units work well and are odor free. My room was close to the vending machines but I did not hear noise from them in the room. I would recommend this place highly. I am going to be booking my trip for next year within the month. In those 10 years only had one issue and when I asked management about it they switched the rooms immediately. There is a place to make coffee and there is a sink that is in addition to the bathroom sink near the closet. I always travel with most of my own food so that sink was handy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Robert M
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank You for your comments. I am pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and have experienced exceptional service for the last 10 years. Thank You for your continued patronage.
Marion, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed for two nights in one of the loft rooms. We enjoyed having a living room area downstairs and the bedroom area upstairs. The balcony offered a nice view of town and the bay. There is no separation between the balconies though so if a neighbor is outside you don't have much privacy. The bed was comfortable but it seemed shorter than a regular sized double bed. The furniture in the room is very outdated. It is an easy five minute walk into town from the hotel. The hotel offers several dining and bar options. We had an excellent dinner at Jacques Cartier. Breakfast at the Bistro was average. Both restaurants have great views of Boldt Castle. We would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to learn that you did enjoy your stay with us. Yes, the balconies are not private, if they were, you wouldn't have the beautiful view, as they do now. The beds in this room type have been modified to fit the loft area, they are a queen size in width and double in length, I apologize if this was not explained to you at the time of reservation or upon arrival. We have been and continue to make changes, renovations, to improve our facility, Unfortunately, we have not reached our goals in completing all aspects of the renovations that are planned, but work hard every day to do so.. Thank you for choosing to stay with the Riveredge Resort, during your visit to our area, and look forward to seeing you again..
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria Bay
#4 of 14 in Alexandria Bay
Otter Creek Inn
Otter Creek Inn
#1 of 14 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Riveredge Resort? Share your experiences!