“Hole in the Ceiling, Up to Date Lobby & Out of Date Rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riveredge Resort

Riveredge Resort
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Alexandria Bay
Albany, New York
“Hole in the Ceiling, Up to Date Lobby & Out of Date Rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We visited this hotel for a conference and few night stay to enjoy the area during the week. We didn't pick this hotel and if I had my choice I wouldn't after reading the reviews because they were pretty accurate. My expectations were quite low which was good because as we went about our stay I could only laugh at the hotel. When you enter staff are nice and open the doors for you and the entrance looks updated and nice.elevator look like they haven't been replaced since it opened in 1989.They only did updates there since the room, hallways and When we first checked in they had a hotel for us on the harbor side which ended up just overlooking the parking lot on the side. When we got to our room there was a giant hole in the ceiling (see picture) which nothing covering it..again laughing at this hotel as we start our time there. The fan in the bathroom sounded like an airplane and we thought it was going to break. The beds were tiny and we ended up sleeping on separate ones. The room decor, rug and walls looked like something in a bad city hotel. No trim on the walls near the floor made the room look very dated and odd. I don't think I've ever stayed a hotel that looked like this. Only positive was it's location. If you know what you're getting and don't mind then go for it. If you want a hotel that doesn't make you feel like it's going to fall apart on you then look elsewhere.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KTNYS
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
i certainly apologize for the hole in the ceiling, located in the hallway outside your room. Yes the hole was in the ceiling for a couple of days in order for the maintenance staff to do some repairs above the ceiling. I agree, they should have covered the hole, at the end of the day, so it wouldn't have looked quite as bad and I apologize that this was not done.

The elevator is indeed the same elevator installed when hotel was built, there is nothing wrong with the elevator so no need to replace it, however, the flooring was replaced a couple of years ago; perhaps you may recall that they used to be carpet and are now tile floor.

I do not know what room you stayed in, our rooms are equipped with either one king size bed, two double beds, two queen beds, or one modified-queen bed. Sounds like you were in a room with two double beds which may have been small for you if you are used to or need a queen or king size. I certainly hope you reported any maintenance issues, such as the fan, and allowed our staff to fix the issues while you were here.

We have made many updates, and continue to work on many many more to improve the entire facility. Although, we have not completed all of our goals, we certainly strive to do so.

I certainly am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations and apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay with us.

Thank you for your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I agree with the other reviews that this place is over priced and our room was dated. Otherwise, it's a good hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful, and it's very close to downtown Alexandria Bay.

If I have to be particular, I'd suggest updating the room, and other public areas of the hotel. It need a little TLC. The other problem was the loud and druken guests, but it was pirate week after all.

Stayed August 2014
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. I understand the decor is not for everyone, some of our guests do not want to see a change while others would like to see changes. We also feel that our facility is in need of some updates, for which we have been working on and continue to work on. We have not reached our goals but continue to chip away at them on a daily basis.

Yes, Pirate's week can be loud and no we can not predict how our neighbors will be; we want all of our guests to be able to enjoy themselves but also be courtesy of others. We do have staff on the front desk 24 hours a day as well as security scheduled till 5:00 am every night to be available to address any concerns or complaints to ensure all guests enjoy their stay with us.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your time in our area and we certainly hope to see you again.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The outdoor pool & hot tub wasn't cleaned & hot tub looked like it had mold in the tiles.

The indoor hot tub had so much chlorine it gave me a migraine for 2 days of our
4 day stay and the staff told some of my party not to go in there on our third day because of high levels of the chlorine. Not a good idea. I'm surprised not more people didn't get sick from it ( or maybe they did) They should have checked this before the guest had arrived & got sick. Someone else in my party also ended up with a migraine.

We have been going there for 7-8 yrs & I feel everything should be in working order for the price you pay.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
1 Thank lascriven
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for your comments and for choosing the Riveredge Resort during your visit to the area.

I apologize that not everything in your room was in working order upon your arrival, I certainly wished you would have reported any issues, we would have tended to them immediately.

I also apologize that the outdoor pool area was not clean. I certainly will speak to the maintenance staff to make sure they are tending to this in a more timely and efficient manner. The outdoor hot tub does not have mold, the discolor you see is from the paint wearing off from the chlorine and needs to be repainted.

I was made aware that, at one point, there was an issue with the automatic chlorine feeder and once the pool/spa tested an unacceptable level of chlorine it was shut down until the level dropped. I do not know if this was the time frame for which you were here or not. I must agree with you, "everything should be in working order", we certainly do not want any issues that is going to inconvenience our guests but unfortunately we can not anticipate when something may stop working or a light bulb is going to blow, how I wish we could.

As you stated, you have been coming here for several years and I certainly hope you continue to visit us for several years to come. Thank You for your continued patronage.
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

River Edge is a nice hotel with quite a few amenities: indoor and outdoor pool. Great restaurants and nice cocktail lounge.

The desk/check in staff need a bit more training in providing customer service. They don't seem to have their act together for requests.

Otherwise, we had a nice visit there. Rooms are very clean w/ small fridge, second sink and a lovely balcony to sit and watch the water.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony with a view of either the marina and Boldt Castle or the outdoor pool. I m...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
I am pleased to learn that you did enjoy your stay with us and I apologize that we were not able fulfill all of your requests. We certainly try to accommodate all guests requests, however, there are occasions that we are just unable to do so. Sometimes, especially July 4th holiday and Pirates Week, we book more than two months in advance.

As far as a staff member calling you, on your third day, to see if you wanted to move because we wanted to give your room to another guest just does not make sense to me. It is not our practice to try to take rooms out from underneath another guest. We do, however, enter a "To Do" on a reservation indicating a specific request that we may not have been able to fulfill at the time of reservation. This "To DO" stays on your reservation until we either complete it or cancel it. All I can think of is perhaps a "To Do" was put on your reservation and never canceled, after your arrival, so the staff may have thought that you still wanted to move locations. I certainly will look in to this further to see what and why this happened.

Thank you for choosing the Riveredge Resort and Thank you for your comments; your continued patronage is greatly appreciated and we certainly hope you will visit us again.
Norwich, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Our stay was for a girls getaway - 8 high school friends - and we were not disappointed. The pool area, and bars (inside and out) were very relaxing. Everyone from the room attendants to the owners were very in-tuned to our needs and were incredible kind. The rooms were exactly what we asked for and the view to the bay was incredible. The rooms were clean and the amenities good. We were there on Pirates weekend and there was so much to do! We were within walking distance of downtown Alex Bay which was important to us. The only downside was the parking. We could not find a place on the hotel grounds on Friday night so they had us park in another lot which was also packed. In definite need of additional parking. We are definitely planning on going back. (This was my second time staying here.)

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view of the bay. Sunrise and sunsets were gorgeous.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChenangoKay
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for choosing the Riveredge Resort during your visit to our area. Pirates Week is definitely one of the busiest times for our community and is a blast. We do have three parking lots, the main lot and two lots across the street, and still does not seem to be enough at times.

I am pleased to learn that you did enjoy your stay with us and certainly hope to see you again.

Thank you for your comments.
Oswego, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Very nice hotel although rooms could use a little updating..Very clean and both indoor and outdoor pools are great. There is an arcade for the kids too.The hotel restaurant is excellent..We keep coming back. And will come again.

Room Tip: We enjoy Bayside best..
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheryl B
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank You for your continued patronage, we greatly appreciate it and are delighted when our guests return year after year. I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have and continue to work on many updates; still a work in progress.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had such an amazing time last week at the Riveredge Resort in Alexandria Bay! It was great right from the beginning. My wife and I were so impressed with the grounds whenrwe first parked. A beautiful pool area. The grass around the resort looked really good. All the flowers. The Tiki Bar. And then the great one of a kind views that The Riveredge has from their grounds, restaurants, and room balconies. We just wantes to say thank you to the Riveredge Resort for such an awesome stay. Right from the beginning it was a great experience, starting with the extremely polite and helpful front desk guy, Carter, who soon turned into a damn good salesman, as he persuaded us into purchasing tickets to their comedy show. We are very glad that he did, as we loved the show! We hope that when we come again next year, that there are different comedians, as we'd like to go again. The rooms were beautiful! Housekeeping was great! Whenever, we had a request, the staff fulfilled it very quickly. The food at the Holland Street Bistro was great! The staff in there was so friendly. We forgot her name, but a young girl with long curly black hair was so good to us one morning for breakfast! And.. we even happened to bump into the owners one night, whom were so nice and pleasant and made sure to ask us how everything was. What a wondeful place, inside and out.. great views, food, facilities, entertainment.. And great staff starting all the way from the owners down!

Thank you, Riveredge Resort.

We will definitely be back!

Jay and Kim.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
You are Very Welcome! I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff were polite, accommodating, and that they took care of your needs, which is a goal we strive for for all of our guests.

We do have several different Comedians that are booked, they sometimes do utilize them more than once, hopefully, there will be different comedians scheduled the next time you visit.

The Owners definitely are hands on owners and always make a point to mingle with guests to make sure we (staff & management) are taking good care of them.

Thank You for your wonderful comments and Thank You for choosing the Riveredge Resort. We look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria Bay
#3 of 11 in Gananoque
Capt. Thomson's Resort
Capt. Thomson's Resort
#4 of 15 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Riveredge Resort? Share your experiences!