Hotel Palm Azur
US$134
US$202
  • Beachfront
Djerba Holiday Beach(Playa Sidi Mehrez)
US$64
US$61
US$104
US$98
US$217
US$186
  • Breakfast included
Les jardins de Toumana(Midoun)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$156
US$222
Hotwire.com
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 June 2011

'we recently returned from a week at this hotel and enjoyed every minute of it.

We booked with Thomson Holidays and from the start everything was well organised. The flights were a great time and even better left on time. Djerba airport was easy to get through, with a warm welcome from the Thomson staff on arrival. We were in our hotel within an hour of arriving which must be a first. Check-in was quick and easy as we had out registration forms included in our Welcome pack from Thomson.

The rooms were great. This hotel has only just re-opened after what must have been an expensive refurbishment. We had a lovely view over the pool to the sea.

Restaurants were very good, with a good selection of food. The speciality restaurants also offered a good choice with the Asian being my favourite.

The main pool is huge and if I had had enough energy I might have tried to swim right accross it but I think it would have taken me a week! Lots of sunbeds, the hotel was not full, suffering a bit from the media hype of Tunisia not being safe, but I have to say that we never encountered any problems and the place is heaven.

The beach is good, although a little rocky when you get in the sea, a pair of sea shoes is advisable. Evening entertainment was ok, and tried to cater for all the nationalities. Our rep in the hotel was Nicky, she was fantastic and couldn't do another to make sure that our holiday was perfect. We even ventured out for a few trips, if you get the chance the 2 day trip to the Sahara was well worth the money, and something we won't forget. Also Flamingo island is worth a visit.

Overall I would find it hard to fault this hotel. I suppose if I had nothing better to do on holiday I could find a few things which were not perfect, but then I would have just been wasting my holiday time!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Mary P
Reviewed 9 September 2008

My boyfriend and I passed 2 weeks in Melia Palm Azur in the August 2008. We travel a lot for business and pleasure and I can frankly say that it was the worst holiday experience that we have ever had.
We chose this hotel as we already knew hotel chain Sol Melia and were delighted with their hotels. Now I wonder how come that Palm Azur belongs to Melia chain, and do they guess what actually is happening in the hotel of their chain and how it is undermining their image.
So I will try to be short and factual.
Geographic location:
30 minutes from airport. Nearest city Midoun – not attractive dirty place with no restaurants or any other places interest.
Hotel itself:
Big standing a little bit old, but in ok shape. Reception is spacey with a lot of marble and even water fountains (these do not work however).
Rooms:
Rooms are ok. Old, but ok. Room service is regular but negligent. No mini bar or bottled water in the room. There are big water systems in the hall. So if you lucky and saved your plastic bottle from the trip – keep it as a treasure, otherwise you will be running with a lot of little plastic cups in order to drink enough after sun exposure.
Territory:
Relatively big territory with sad and dry plants. A lot of objects (umbrellas, benches) are rusty – so keep an eye on everything if tetanus is not your holiday dream.
Restaurants and food:
Awful! These 2 weeks were real gastronomical torture for us. All the menu consists of the cheapest products possible, with no variations. Breakfast: Uncut frozen or broken fruits ( and this is in august (!)), yesterday’s leftovers vegetables, 1 type of cheese, 1 type of ham (the cheapest one with milled bones), 1-2 types of bread, 1 type home made yoghurt, some low quality hot vegetables and dishes. Everyday for 2 weeks the same, not even slight change. Constant shortage of bowls and glasses.
Lunch and dinner the same low quality food. Maximum 2 types of meat. All the time cheap with a lot of bones ( doggy dream!). I have even seen marvelous goulash ( 85% of bones). 2 types of pasta ( yes, even past can be badly cooked). Choice of cut and rapped tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers. The most simple and cheap way. No composed salads or something like that.
Dirty plates with big stains from morning Nutella. I spoke 3-5 times with restaurant management – no change. Glasses full of soap – looks like cappuccino when you put water inside!
Wine is reused and leftovers are gently put in the used bottle.
During your stay you can once reserve a la carte restaurant in order to try authentic Tunisian cuisine. On practice you get the same food as in buffet restaurant and the saddest couscous that I have ever tried.
Swimming pool:
There are 2 of them: small for kids and big for adults. Main big swimming pool is beautiful, however not safe. There is a water intake filtration system that is rather big. However the grids that were supposed to cover it were permanently missing. There is a lot of children playing around and the area is deep. Parents spoke to the lifeguard near the pool and they received advice to “swim around’ (!). The result is that on the 23rd August in front of all the tourists a 14-years old French girl was sucked down. Lifeguard did not find how to switch the system off and they did not have any oxygen bottles, however they had fire extinguishers. So girl was removed 20 minutes after dead. Shock for everybody….. Spoiled vocations, constant stress and nightmares.
Beach:
Sandy beach with sufficient number of sun beds. Impossible to enter to the sea because of huge sharp stones that go for about 20 meters on the shore line. So no swimming for children and cut legs and feet for adults.
Water sports:
We also choose this hotel as the propose in the all inclusive system wind surfing. Well yes, officially they have it, but all the boards are missing parts and sail have holes = can’t be used. So we were forced to rent the equipment from the hotel near by for 20 EUR per hour.
Making water sport activities is simply not safe as the hotel do not even have safety motorized boat. So when tourists from Melia Palm Azur had a hole in their kayak and started to drown water sport guys rushed to the neighbors hotel in order to ask them for a boat.
So to conclude, this is the most horrible holiday ever, waist of money and unsafe ambiance.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank yilar
Reviewed 23 October 2007

My partner and I travelled to this resort last March for a relaxing break after christmas. We did'nt want to spend alot, just a cheap and cheerful so we booked this. I am a travel agent for first choice but booked this with airtours as it was cheap. We arrived in resort late at night and got to our rooms around an hour after arriving at the hotel, it was a little slow but if the group of people that were complaining had just got on with it i dare say it would have been alot quicker. We got to our room and i was a little dissappointed, not your usual 4 star but we jumped into bed as we were shattered. The walls are very thin and we had very noisey neighbours so it was a broken sleep but i never do sleep well at first. We woke to be very pleasantly suprised. The room inthe day light was alot nicer, i still wouldnt say it was 4 star but its a definate 3. There wasnt a fridge in the room so we showered and made our way to breakfast. The buffet breakfast had something for everyone and we were again pleasantly suprised. We spent the day by the pool , which is really nice but i soon realised that you had to be out early to get a good spot as the germans are eager beavers. We really enjoyed this holiday. The staff are exceptional, they really can't do enough for you. W e only had to order 1 drink all week as our waiter in the bar, haled, knew exactly what we wanted and always look after us. The entertainment was not to my taste but they worked so hard, and always tried to get everyone involved, one affectionately named me lazy girl as i preferd watching the water aerobics as apposed to doing it, but it was all in very good humour. I have very warm feels about this resort. There were people complaining and 1 family even paid to come home but i seriously question what peoples expectations are sometime, there really is no pleasing some people. I wouldnt go back but thats only because tere are too may places to visit to return somewhere twice but i would definately recommend this if you just want somewhere to warm your bones after the new year. We met some lovely people and still write to a couple of the staff. Pleas feel free to email me any questions or require any images....enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lanny_uk
Reviewed 9 October 2007

Went 29th Sept to 6th Oct 2007

Our holiday got off to a bad start, we arrived at Manchester Airport, once we were all checked in we waited for our gate number, then it said we had a 5 hour delay, (your worst nightmare really!!) anyway My Travel gave out £3.00 refreshment vouchers, a sandwich cost more than that!!! We eventually got on the plane, off we went and arrived at Djerba Airport, then we had to queue to go through immigration (dont forget to fill in your white immigration card and keep the other bit for returning home)altogether by the time everyone was through and on their respective coaches it had taken about 3 hours this was on top of the delay at Manchester! On the way to our hotel the tour rep and 2 Tunisian fellas got off the coach and left the driver to deliver us to our hotels which fair enough he did. Once we arrived at the hotel (about 5am) we were given our wristbands for the all inclusive, given our room key and a porter did take us and our luggage to our room, once there we had NO electric, the porter said the whole island was off (oh no it wasn't) fortunately I had a light on my mobile phone so we just went to bed, about 1/2 later just as we were dozing off all the lights came on!!!

In the morning (missed breakfast)we went to the welcome meeting, I wish we had stayed in bed as the rep was as much use as a chocolate fireguard! a few of us said we had complaints but the rep said she couldnt deal with them then as she had other hotels to visit! Great start to our 1 week holiday!

The pool is fab I have to say BUT really that is about all the good things I can tell you about the hotel. Once any of the satff realsie you are English they don't speak to you again even the aniamtion team left us alone. The food ...... hmmmmm well IF you like French food you will be ok, half the time you haven't a clue what you are eating as nothing is labelled but if it is none of it is in English!Good luck, I came home with a jippy stomach and still have it 4 days later.There seems to be a great lack of crockery and cuttlery also be careful as I found quite a few glasses and plates that were chipped and shouldn't have been there.

It took us a couple of days to find out where the evening theatre for the Animation entertainment went on, some of it was ok but again it was mainly done in French so if you don't speak it you haven't a clue whats going on. On night the animation team did a sketch and demonstrated 'How we say Hello in different languages' they did French, German, Spanish, Tunisian and English, the English went up to each other knocked into one another then started to fight, is that really how do other countries see us Brits? I was disgusted by this and quite upset.

There are a copule of shops across the road and both sell more or less the same but that is it, you feel like you are on a deserted island, there isn't really anywhere to walk to, there are usually taxis outside the hotel if you want to go anywhere and they are quite reasonable.

There is a little market that comes to the hotel, the rep said the market comes on a Tuesday BUT it was there on Monday while we were there, you have to haggle for things, don't pay what they ask.The main market is in Midoun on a Friday which cost about 3 dinars by yellow taxi, What an experience that is, have fun!

After our weeks holiday we were picked up at 7.30pm by coach and the rep was brilliant, the most anyone spoke to us about procedures etc etc or about anything really his name was Yaris.(as going the rep never spoke about anything or how far we had to go or what to expect or about the island etc etc nothing)

The whole week was quite a culture shock, I certainly won't go again. One good thing that came out of it was we met 4 lovely people whom we hope to keep in touch with.

Djerba is about 15 years behind Tunisia from what people told us and it is more like a 3* hotel NOT a 4* as we were told by the travel agents.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tillymint4
Reviewed 15 September 2007

Booked holiday on advice of travel agent. Was impressed by the welcome received at 11pm (buffet dinner). Although hotel is mainly french speaking all staff made an extra effort to have a conversation in english. Entertainment staff are great especially Freddie the chief animator.They will always try their best. The food is good with plenty of choice but it you want british food abroad ie chips and sausages then this isnt the place to go. If however, you are looking for a holiday where you can de-stress and chill completely while experiencing a different way of life then this is the place for you. Would definately reccomend to everyone with an open mind and I hope to go back soon. Ps go on the castaway trip (pirate ship) its fantastic!!!

• Stayed: August 2007