Hotel Palm Azur
Vincci Resort Djerba(Djerba Island)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$77
Joya Paradise(Midoun)(Great Value!)
US$44
US$42
  • Pool
Iberostar Mehari Djerba(Djerba Island)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$173
  • Beachfront
Vincci Helios Beach(Midoun)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$237
US$228
US$169
US$143
Hotel Dar El Bhar(Playa Sidi Mehrez)(Great Value!)
US$52
US$48
Villa Azur Djerba(Djerba Island)(Great Value!)
US$100
Ksar Djerba(Midoun)(Great Value!)
US$44
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I returned from this hotel last Wednesday 10th June.
The pool area was excellent with plenty of sun beds for all even at lunch time.
The pool entertainment team were rather a pest, would not leave you alone.
Pool towels available which is a good idea.
Also an indoor pool.
Beach rather dirty, sea very rough all the time, could not got in the water at all.
The breakfasts were first class but that is we're it stopped, lunches and dinners were terrible, food cold and very repetitive.
Staff OK, nothing special.
Out side the hotel there is a supermarket and two shops selling the usual tack, other than that nothing to do outside the hotel, you need to be happy to stay within the hotel at all times.
Evening entertain was terrible.
The bedroom was very clean except for the nightly visits of disgusting COCKROACHES, on one day I had three filthy creatures in the bath at one time.
The TV had 23 channels, apart from the bbc world news, not one channel was in English. Not good.
Over all hotel and holiday was far from the best.
They really must do something to fumigate the bedrooms and get rid of the cockroaches.
The rep Chris was very good, polite and interested in his guests

Room Tip: Need a sea view room other than being stuck at the back with no view at all
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank juliette l
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the riu palm azur from the 2nd July for one week and it wasn't enough! We're thinking of going back in September! All the staff were very friendly most can speak English and even if there not that strong with it they try there hardest, the animation team made our holiday they're wicked so bubbly and work so hard they deffenatly make this hotel! The foods really nice and if you don't like to try differant foods you can have pizza and chips. I would 100% recommend the Asian wasabi a le carte it was beautiful! The rooms were always clean the mini bar was always full and always had pretty designs on our bed! There's not anything bad I can say about this hotel had a wicked holiday and will defo be returning!!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Ell M
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I am a 42 year old female and travelled alone to Riu Palm Azur in Djerba. This was my first trip to Djerba, although i have travelled many times alone to other areas in Tunisia, as well as other countries. I have just returned yesterday from spending 2 weeks at the Riu Palm Azur. I was very disappointed with the overall holiday and i will be giving a very honest and accurate review.
I have stayed with Riu previously in Fuerteventura and Jamaica and booked this hotel because Riu have an excellent standard as a rule and they have previously exceeded my expectations but sadly on this occasion, that's not the case and i will be informing Riu themselves.

Reception / Money Exchange - Check in was very quick and efficient. I was told in the welcome meeting the following morning that money could be changed 24hrs a day. So i went to reception to change money at 0745hrs and a female staff member curtly told me to come back at 0900hrs.
After that i just changed money after 0900hrs and the male reception staff seemed to be alot friendlier in their manner and generally quite helpful.

Rooms - My room was beautiful and extremely clean. Lovely décor, flat screen tv on the wall, the beds were very comfortable, also lot's of storage space. There was a small concealed fridge and a safe. Full length mirror as well as a standard size. The bathroom was lovely and modern, although the shower head was fairly small, it was extremely powerful. Shower gel/shampoo was provided and was topped up regularly and the towels were changed every day.
Water was also provided in your room every day, still and sparkling.

Chambermaid - Excellent, i can't say anymore, she was brilliant! She made lovely displays on the beds with towels, sheets, flower petals and sweets. She kept my room spotlessly clean from the time i got there to the time i left.

Food / Waiter - On the whole i was disappointed with the food. Generally it was quite bland and tasteless although i did have a beef stew one night and the gravy was beautiful. I also found that there was not a great deal of variety and i can only speak for the hot food as I'm not a salad person. I did enjoy the Spanish omelette in the morning and the beef medallions in the evening. I do like my meat but i found a lot of gristle and fat on the red meat and on occasions i found some undercooked chicken which could have had a serious affect if I'd eaten it. I would like to say that it's just the way Tunisian cuisine is but i have been to different areas in Tunisia over the years and unfortunately eaten tastier food elsewhere.
My waiter was fairly efficient although he spoke very limited English, in fact 4 words were said over 2 weeks which were Hello, You Ok and Good.
I did notice one evening that he had a white cloth napkin / tea towel over his arm. I saw him wipe his nose / mouth area with this cloth, then proceeded to serve guests using the same cloth.
I also saw that a guest had dropped a serving tong on the floor at the hot food counter. She picked it up and handed it to one of the Chefs who was behind the counter. The Chef took it over to the wall, wiped it with paper towel and put it back out again in front of the hot food. I was shocked to see that he didn't wash it as it has just been on the floor!

Drinks / Bar Service - Firstly the drinks, whether it's beer, spirits or soft drinks were of an extremely good standard, i could not fault the quality in any way at all. That did exceed my expectations, however what i am going to write next has infuriated me so much and i feel that Riu has had it's reputation damaged through the following.
On my arrival day, i went to the hotel bar at 1800hrs, it was very quiet in there and there was one bar staff behind the counter. I asked for a vodka and diet coke with no ice. He asked me if i had just arrived and i said yes. He seemed nice and asked me if i was alone, i replied yes. At that, he poured my drink which was about 90% vodka and 10% diet coke. He gave me my drink and went out to the back of the bar and came back with 2 other bar staff. They stood there and were obviously talking about me amongst themselves whilst looking directly at me. The atmosphere changed and i actually felt very intimidated by this and humiliated, as at this point i am now starting to sweat. They have seen me sweating and are now laughing amongst themselves, making hand gestures towards one of the bar staffs face and said in not so many words that i was sweating because i was alone and embarrassed. I took my drink out and sat in the lobby area outside the bar as they had made me feel extremely uncomfortable. When i finished my drink, i waited for the other staff to leave before going back for another. I walked into the bar, the bar staff saw me, went straight out the back and got his friends. Then asked me if i wanted another vodka, i said yes please and they stood there and had a good laugh about me whilst making my drink. I decided that maybe i should use the other bar when it opened at 2000hrs.
I had my dinner in the restaurant and went to the other bar just after 2000hrs. I was horrified to see the original bully bar staff in there and he done exactly the same to me again. His name is Rachid, i saw his name badge the night before i left.
This behaviour and attitude was repeated throughout my stay at both bars inside the hotel, even if i walked past the bar without going in, either Rachid or other bar staff that had been involved in his intimidation/bullying tactics would stare, point at me and start laughing.
During the daytime i used the pool bar and the two guys working there, Lotfi and Habib were lovely and could not have been nicer to me, they were also good fun to be around which was great for me. They also made me feel comfortable.
When that bar closed at 1800hrs, i thought i would watch a world cup game amongst a lot of guests in the hotel bar area. Again i was targeted and now i had just about had enough, it was getting me down and starting to feel very stressed out, to the point i wanted to go home.
I met some English guests at the pool area (Wendy and Paul) and they asked me to join them in the evening to watch the entertainment. I told them that i felt uncomfortable and told them why, they said that it would be ok as i was with them. Again i had the same treatment and they witnessed it for themselves. Paul went to the bar and saw that the drinks that we were made were seriously over poured, Paul commented on my vodka and said that i had a full glass of vodka and a small bit of coke to colour it.
I decided that from now on i would go to my room after 1800hrs, have a shower and go for dinner, then go back to my room and watch tv as it was a lot easier for me to do that than put up with the rudeness of the bar staff in the evening. As a result of their behaviour and intimidation tactics, i spent 12 nights out of 14 in my room between 1900hrs and 2000hrs, feeling unable to watch or enjoy any of the entertainment put on in the evening.
I did speak to my holiday rep a day or two before leaving, he asked me why I'd not told him before but when i had seen him at his desk, he was always sat with people, which is not his fault. I told him what had happened and on my last evening i noticed a different atmosphere in both bars, the staff had clearly been told off, the drinks were drinkable and not over poured and there was no gestures made towards me.

The Pool / Beach - Lovely outdoor pool, very clean and lot's of sun loungers, enough for everyone. Pool water tested every day. They have an indoor pool which i never used so i can't comment on it.
The beach was a bit disappointing. Again, lot's of sun loungers and space for everyone, not over crowded at all. The sand was lovely but when you got close to the water, immense amounts of seaweed to the point a JCB and tractor would come and clear it as the tide was changing, which was obviously noisy and a distraction if you were laying there trying to relax.
There is a floating pontoon which was not easy to walk on and where the water was choppy, the gate was closed most of the time.
There are vendors selling sarongs, hats etc but they won't bother you. They walk along the front of the beach holding up what they are selling and let you approach them which was great.

Weather - Brilliant, could not have been any better, that was the highlight of my holiday.

Hotel Shops - Plenty of gifts, sun creams, cigarettes etc, very well stocked however .. the guys who work in there can make you feel quite uncomfortable. I went in to buy cigarettes and all 3 guys came in the shop, one in front of me serving and the other two invading my personal space right beside me. This was common practice throughout my stay.
Wendy, the guest who i had met there, went to the hotel shop with her husband. Paul walked into the shop looking at whatever, Wendy stood outside the shop looking at gifts such as fridge magnets. She was kissed on the back of the neck by one of the shop guys, as she turned round and saw that it wasn't her husband, she called for Paul. The shop guy said that he thought she was on her own and was surprised as "English women are usually easy".
The guy in question told the holiday rep later on what had happened and said that he had made a mistake.
To me, it doesn't matter whether you are with someone or single, this kind of behaviour should never happen and that just showed me that the men in general throughout that hotel, have absolutely NO RESPECT FOR WOMEN.
I saw on the holiday information that the hotel welcomes single parents. My advice would be as a single person or a single parent .. Do Not Go!

As i said before, i have travelled many times on my own before but this is the worst treatment i have ever received in any hotel complex, some staff showing a complete lack of respect for me as a woman and i feel cheated really. I wish i had spent my hard earned money and gone somewhere else. Riu will be hearing about this.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
9  Thank Lorna R
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Literally returned today from our two week stay at this hotel. Was very dubious having read the reviews but really don't know what half these problems are...!

Such a lovely welcome and the hotel is absolutely spotless! The staff are impeccable; yes their English is slightly off but you're in Tunisia..? Make an effort to learn basic phrases it's really not hard!

The beach is lovely - yes there is seaweed but you can get past that and it's a lovely swim. Depends how fussy you are! Can personally recommend the little relaxation pool if relaxation is what you're after! The rooms are brilliant, good sizes and airy and are cleaned every day unless you put your DND sign on the door.

Bottled water everyday... Food was of a good variety, we found lunch was sometimes better than dinner. If you can, wait a little later until the chefs are ready to serve the food and get it straight off the grill, so much nicer! Definitely book the a la Carte in the Wasabi restaurant - it's a welcome change!

The animation team try their best, they are on the go 10am-midnight and they are so bubbly and friendly! It's not for everyone but it's nice to go downstairs and have a drink and spend an evening.

The hotel shops are a rip off, take a trip across the road and visit the shops there..! Much better quality and prices!

Honestly don't know what people are saying about stomach upsets... If you're hygienic (hand sanitiser) and use suncream and keep hydrated you shouldn't have an issue, the food is properly prepared and cooked and having a vegetarian boyfriend who just eats fish and salad we had no issues!

Do not change up all your sterling into Dinar at once. Do £50 here or for trips do £100... The Dinars really do stretch!

I would honestly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a fantastic stay with brilliant staff and facilities! The island is small, livelier towards Midoun and Houmet Souk obviously and there's not much around the hotel in the way of sightseeing but hop in a taxi for around 5 Dinar to go all across the island and explore the Northern part!

Only thing I would say is there are sunbeds but people do put towels down ridiculously early. We got down around 11am and found some near the relaxation pool but the beach is always spacious! Depends on your preferences!

Overall it should be a 5* not 4* and I would return again! Absolutely lovely and perfect for couples and even families!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Charlotte G
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The adage about being too good to be true certainly applied here.
I am a Riu hotel lover and in fact have been lucky to have stayed in 4 in the last 14 months, and have a Riu class card but this hotel falls well short of their usual standards sadly.
We were there from 18th June until 2nd July when the "salmonella" disaster hit the hotel. I think salmonella and gastro enteritis was a lot of self diagnosis by people holding court in the middle of the pool etc. It was a simple stomach bug which could have been bought in by anybody on that Gatwick flight, however rumours created by a few Brits that the cause was food poisoning and the restaurant kitchen was closed for a deep clean were totally unfounded. I caught it, was off my food for one day then fine. Hardly salmonella. !!!! I don't think it helped that Chris the rep implied that only the British had the stomach bug when it was being suffered by all nationalities.
My holiday was terrible sadly. but not due to a lot of the reasons people unjustly moaned about.
I usually have a taxi transfer and this time I was put in one seemingly held together with gaffa tape with non working seat belts in the back. I did casually mention it to Chris. who said he would look into it. Nothing.
The restaurant was dirty without question, with the table cloths bearing the remains and stains of the first sitting. We, on table 78, and another table of 4 close by, watched one night as a waiter wiped his nose twice on his waiters cloth then used it to flick crumbs of another table onto the floor. Classy or what? The crockery in the plate warmers was often dirty and you could feel the starch from the previous use still present.
The food was fairly bland and one thing was annoying and that was various bowls of food with no labels to say what was in them. It could have been chicken, turkey, rabbit, fish or whatever. Just would have helped if food had been labelled. The "soup of the day" never said what it actually was.
I felt very, very sorry for the manager who found himself at the end of a threat from a Brit with small mans syndrome who was threatening to "knock your f###ing head off" because one restaurant was closed for lunch when accommodation had dropped from 900 guests to 400. The manager was trying to explain calmly that he was providing a 250 cover restaurant for 3 hours for his 400 guests and it was the British insistence to eat dead on 1 pm that caused small queues. We would go at say 1.45 and no problem, in fact he said to me that only the Brits had complained, not the French, Belgium, German or Dutch guests. It was amazing after lunch listening to all the stories circulating all by people that had not spoken to the manager. A national hobby.
The catering is poor here if one includes the bar areas with a seemingly shortage of staff being a major factor with service for drinks being dire.
We were booked over there for our wedding anniversary and after once going to the Asian restaurant Chris booked us in again and after previous such events at Riu hotels I was hoping for some form of recognition to the event when we went into the restaurant. First I had to ask the chef to actually cook something as dishes were empty and then he proceeded to spend the majority of his time texting on his phone. They had not asked our room number so I knew nothing would happen. In fairness, on our way back to the bar the manager said hello and asked if all okay. I told him I was a bit disappointed but no problem. Ten minutes later he appeared on the terrace with the animation team and frog marched us inside to be serenaded and given a bottle of champagne. He really does try to make things work, even when ignorant people threaten to knock his head off.
The Asian restaurant, if the chef is not texting is excellent, but beware the Tunisian one. I love Tunisian food but this was awful and the full plates being left by lots of different nationalities proved it was not down to English fussiness.
I appreciate this is a review of the hotel but must add that a lot of the whole holiday was half hearted by all. We booked a trip to a croc farm that was due to last 3 hours. Chris suddenly informed us it would leave 1 hour later which meant that half of what we should have seen there was no time for. When the guide showed us one building he said we had 90 seconds to look and the we must go on as he had another group coming. Again no explanation from Chris.
The rooms are kept clean as they always seem to be in Riu hotels as are the general washroom areas.
The animation team try very hard but they really are awful and one bit of disquiet that a lot of people commented on and actually walked out on was the Miss Riu Palm Azur evening. The over the top ego of the little head of the team getting girls to perform "sexy moves you would do in the shower" was a bit sick. Why did he not pick a nice muslim girl from the bar area to do it and not 4 young white girls on their own? Any girl with a boyfriend or a parent present would have thumped him.
It was not a good holiday partly because of the stomach bug, ( not salmonella), the dirty restaurants and the animation team and would never go back, however I feel the manager is really trying to do his best and maybe the laid back attitude of Chris might not be taken as comatose.
Sorry Riu, however I am looking forward to my 2 weeks in Marrakech in September.

Room Tip: Upper floor preferably overlooking pool and not building site at side as we did
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple