“Unique colorful gem”

El Ghriba Synagogue
More attraction details
Owner description: The most ancient Jewish community in Tunisia supposedly dates back to 586 BCE.
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was very excited to see the synagogue on Djerba island.
It is located somewhat outside of the urban areas, in a quiet place near Houmt Souk.
Nicely maintained white building and very colorful interior, Jewish traditions and faith, with a touch of North Africa, this is the El Ghriba Synagogue. Very very unique.
They ask you to take the shoes off and cover your had, men and women both. Everything is provided right there. The place is not too big, so unless you want to read every line in Hebrew on the walls, you get to see all kind of quickly.
My advice is that before you visit, read something briefly about the history of the Jewish community on Djerba (or generally in North Africa).

1  Thank Csahos_Fenevad

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Met by grumpy old man who just pointed at our shoes with a grunt - then at a pile of coins to indicated we had to give him some - which he pocketed - and then he disappeared. No guidance notes no guide - we came away knowing nothing about the place.

3  Thank OldPaul
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

El Ghriba is a beautiful old synagogue and a important place of pilgrimage for Jews across North Africa and World wide. A very interesting place to visit and not on the usual daily coach trips. Wonderful to see a side of Djerban culture away from the usual tourist traps. Just take a taxi from your hotel, it's very easy and worthwhile.

1  Thank Sandgrounder2013
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We visited this synagogue in a excursion by operator. At the entry, you have to put off your shoes and women have to cover her head with a scarf.

Inside, you can see a beautiful architecture and mosaics.

There is a minimum fee to pay (1 dinar).

Outside, you can also see a type of hostel very typical.

1  Thank Tiquiss
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had never been inside of a Synagogue before & I like historical places..
Took a local taxi to the Synagogue from the hotel, which cost 40 dinar, about £15 between 2 of us, this included a tour of the island, the Synagogue, Guellala Museum & a local pottery, an organised tour would be so much more expensive & probably time limited.
Be aware the entry is well guarded before the walk to the Synagogue & the guards ask what religion you are before you go through a customs style barrier.
This is a free entry, although donations accepted, which due to the age & the dinar being so high to the £ my friend & I were happy to donate.
As this is a place of worship, the tradition is to take off shoes & wear a head covering, the head coverings are provided.
It is a very small place, so time around does not take long, however we were there about an hour, photos are allowed.
My friend & I enjoyed our visit, but this is for adults nothing for children
There is a small shop near the guard house which sells drinks etc, not sure if it sells souvenirs as I water with me

1  Thank Diane P