“If you want to be in an independent nice hotel, than this is the one!”
Review of Dar Ali Residence

Dar Ali Residence
Ranked #56 of 103 Hotels in Djerba Island
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Most of the hotels in Djerba are all inclusive. Dar Ali is a nice independent hotel, good location, clean rooms, good restaurant.
Recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank riri25
There are newer reviews for Dar Ali Residence

Reviewed 20 January 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Dar Ali wanting a quiet, relaxing holiday away from all the hustle and bustle of the build uo to Christmas and that was exactly what we got. All the staff at the hotel were so friendly and helpful. We stayed half board, the breakfast was basic but the evening meal was excellent, with a good variety of cuisine. The local people who use the bar and restaurant also made us welcome. Highly recommended for a quiet, peaceful holiday. There are larger hotels and discos in the locality for those who want more life, but being of the older generation we were more than satisfied to dine in the evening and enjoy a quiet drink.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank djl786
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Stayed at this Hotel for a week. Its on the outskirts of the tourists zone It's quaint but in dire need of refurbishment - bathroom constantly floods when using the shower. The Manager, Emin, was very helpful but the rest of staff need training. The Continental breakfast consisted of bread, foil wrapped cheese triangles, individually wrapped jam and butter, muffin, glass of fruit juice and tea/coffee. every morning! No fresh fruit was available. We requested cereal and they did provide this for us as we did not want bread every morning! The evening meal sometimes left a lot to be desired - there was no choice of menu just a set menu for guests. The private beach was OK however you had to pay for the use of loungers which were well past their best and no beach towels were provided. We believe this is a 3 star hotel not 4 star as advertised.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank peterbarkham
Reviewed 12 November 2010

We arrived on Djerba after having travelled all over Tunisia (independently) and were immediately made welcome. My five year old son was treated so well and all the staff made such a fuss of him. The room was perfectly adequate and the entire place was spotless. We could go out our back door onto our own private patio set among the gardens and just outside the front door of our room was the swimming pool. This place has a real family feel and although there were other guests it felt like the pool was our own private pool and that the gardens etc were ours too! I cannot thank everyone enough for the stay we had. The restaurant served excellent food - the best we had. This was an important trip for me (taking my son and husband to Tunisia for the first time after had lived there a number of years). We are returning again in the Summer of 2011 - I think that speaks volumes!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2010

This hotel is perfect for a quiet relaxing holiday. It is small, charming and personal unlike other hotels in the area catering for tourism on mass!

The beach is fabulous and a horse or camel ride is a must!

We really enjoyed our stay and plan to return next year. P.S we loved the 'Brik' for lunch - try it!!

M.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2010

This place is either perfect or all wrong depending on what you are looking for. If you enjoy the tourist getto kind of places with animation teams, party, party, party, and all inclusive packages - stop reading! This place is NOT for you. On the other hand, if you are an independent traveller who enjoy a small hotel with great food and a nice and wounderfully quiet (and private) beach - this is heaven!

As a single traveller, I paid 63 Dinar per night halfboard - and DO GO for the halfboard option!! For that additional 8 Dinar you get a 3 course dinner of very high standard. The only reason not to take it is that you´ll need to keep up your swimming or beach walks not to put on weight. As a fish eating vegetarian, I also appreciated that this special requirement were no problem to accomodate for. To give an example of the incredible value, my last night I had the couscous as the main course - which from the ordinary menu was priced more than 30 Dinars. Not to mention the you end up trying nice Tunisian specialities which I probably wouldn't have though of ordering my self. In addition the breakfast and dinner area is really nice, where the bouganville is beatiful. Regarding breakfast, it is basic but adeqat - coffe with hot milk at the side, bread, yougurt, soft cheese & marmelade - and sometimes some biscuites.

So to the hotel as such. The rooms are basic, so if you want luxury this is not the place either. But the rooms are spotlessly clean, which for me is essential. The only lack is that the towels could have been a bit newer...

As soon as a problem occured, such as a problem with my fan and later the light in the bathroom - this was dealt with instantly. And I was offered free AC for the rest of the stay.

The hotel has a small pool, but the sunbeds are not ideal for sunbathing but rather talking or reading. Other thing to consider is that the hotel is not right on the beach, you'll have to walk a few 100 meters to see the sea and access thie private beach. Sunbeds on the beach are 3 dinar per day, including the umbrella. And the man who attends it is very kind and helpful.

Additional comments. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is wireless internet for a fee, you are NOT allowed to bring food from outside to the room (drinks is ok though). This place is also ideal for beach walks. Heading right will take you past all the hotels, but you could easily walk for 3-4 hours. If you prefer a more quiet walk, turn left. You will pass 2 hotels, but then you can walk for hours and just enjoy the scenery. This is also a good path if you are looking for a swim with no one around.

You will also hear the minaret dayly, but, what a voice!! I have travelled many muslim countries, but that voice is magic... First time EVER I have been looking forward to the prayers...

I final comment could be made of the area as such. Dar Ali is at the outskirts of the touristic zone, hence, you will find few signs of "real" Tunis in the close vincinity, such as shops, restaurants etc. Though, the closest city is only 10 min taxidrive away.

To conclude, if what you want is to relax, enjoy a good swim, attentive staff and really good food for from faded tourist buffes, I could really recommend Dar Ali. I have previously worked as a tourguide for 7 years, so I think I have a good I for what is genuine and what is not, and this hotel really is a little gem. Only 2 slight disappointments - big screen football certain evenings, and too much western music! But for escaping the world and recharge your batteries - goo, goo, goo!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank TantV
Reviewed 25 March 2010

We are independent travellers and like to stay in owner operated hotels where it's possible to feel more like a friend than a guest. We didn't like any of the hotels in Houmt Souk, so headed to the Zone Touristique but were put off by the huge, tour-package hotels. We spotted the lovely little Dar Ali just opposite the beach and fell in love with it right away. It was the off-season so the hotel was practically empty and we were given a room at the back of the central courtyard with a small private terrace on a little desert garden. Perfect.

The manager, Nouri, suggested we include dinner with our stay and we are so glad he did! He kindly told us that they have a wonderful young woman named Amina who is a fabulous chef. She used to teach in a training school in central Tunisia, but we are so glad she has come to the Dar Ali. Her Tunisian dishes were mouthwatering, but best of all, she became a friend. We even arranged to go for morning walks on the beach together to wear off some of the calories from her delicious meals.

We were disappointed that a medical emergency meant that we were not able to meet the couple who own the Dar Ali. They were in Tunis for the duration of our stay in Djerba. However, after leaving the hotel I broke a tooth on an olive pit and had to visit a dentist before leaving the country. Amina was very helpful, she asked the owner to recommend a dentist in the capital, and he has a first-rate practice in one of the suburbs. I can't thank everyone enough for all the warmth and caring they provided us during and after our stay.

The hotel is so very charming, but if you are like us, you might not want to come during the busy summer months when the lovely pool in the center of the courtyard is bustling with happy vacationers. We are retired and love the peace and quiet, so I would recommend you come in the months before and after the busy season if you want to enjoy the Dar Ali as we did.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple