“A relaxing stay”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Gammarth
UK
“A relaxing stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2008

Thankfully we didn’t experience any of the problems as those encountered by the previous reviewers and would recommend a stay at the Ramada Plaza to anyone looking for good value in relaxed surroundings.

The staff were courteous and helpful. Only two of the hotels four restaurants were open during our mid-October stay – the Bistro/bar which served steaks, omelettes, sandwiches etc and the main restaurant which has a buffet only service and suffers from food prepared long in advance. We tried it once and thereafter ate lunch/dinner out each day as there is a wide choice of local restaurants just a short taxi ride away Alternatively a stroll along the beach brings you to The Residence, another hotel with a delightful poolside restaurant open to non-guests.

The Ramada has excellent swimming facilities with four inter-linked outdoor pools as well as an indoor pool open until late. The beach is charming with on site hotel bar and makes a welcome change. Horse and camel rides are on offer as well as jet ski hire and 4WD excursions along the seashore.

There are two shuttle buses each day operated by the hotel on Monday - Friday (9.30am and 2.30pm) to La Marsa and then on into the centre of Tunis.

The vast majority of fellow guests during our stay were on business as the hotel has a wide choice of meeting rooms for hire and large scale conferences are possible. Saga Holidays were much in evidence as their clients stay on full board and have a large specially designated room for evening talks and entertainment. For the rest of the guests low key entertainment is on offer – a resident duo (singer plus keyboard player) in the Bistro/bar area as well as large screen TV showing football matches.

Given the excellent rate offered by the hotel when booked direct, with temperatures in the mid to high 70s in mid-October we would contemplate returning to the Ramada during the shoulder periods

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank Joannaspencer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Great Yarmouth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2008

My husband and I had our 1st Christmas and New Year holiday away 2006/7 we enjoyed so much we booked again 2007/8 Well what a mistake choosing this hotel. We did not know until on transfer coach that this hotel had just changed ownership something tour operator failed to inform us of because had we known we would have asked if any refurbishment works being carried out and if so would have changed holiday. We arrived 23 dec and the knocking and banging started the very necxt day from morning until about 5pm each day and the the kanga drills were going in the hotel again from morning until app 5pm. We were woken up by this and there was nowhere in the hotel to escape the deafening noise only way was to go out even though the weather was quite inclement. All we had wanted was a quiet relaxing holiday and when we and other guests asked for this to stop it was a waste of time. We asked our rep to be moved to annother hotel only to be told - yes we could do this but at our own expense. We were glad to leave. The ttotal intolerance of the staff regarding the noise - no we will never return - oh nearly forgot this hotel is near to salt waters = mosquito's we were not told about these either and yes we did get so bewabitten re!

• Liked — reasturant staff/food/bar staff/
  • Disliked — The location/mosquito's/couldn't care less attistude how noise totally ruined the holiday
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank isdatmajik

Travellers are raving about these Gammarth hotels

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

The scandal at this hotel RAMADA PLAZA TUNIS, personnel of the managed property can’t hold a guaranteed reservation, for honeymooners?!!!
(the couple come to the hotel supposed to remain 3 nights, at the front desk they said that the hotel is full and you didn’t confirm the reservation, while the sales lady called me at 4 PM and I confirmed that the couple for whom I made the reservation are certainly coming to spend the wedding night of the 4 of august 2008.)
As I made another reservation for a group of 15 rooms I gave a check with 500 TND to guarantee the both reservations (as the first one was paid I asked to keep the check for the second one)
At night the couple comes after the wedding ceremony and the hotel was sold out and they don’t have their room, they didn’t even try to search for them another hotel or compensate or make excuses or a call. The only feedback I get that the personnel exchange blows between each other. Waw, what quality management. Simply horrible.
hatem chanoufi
triprewards member # 107891557B
It’s fun to get more

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the managers & staff
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank hatem_ch
Lydd, Romney Marsh, Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2008

Having read some previous derogatory comments about the Corinthia Khamsa at Gammarth (previous name) I had some niggling doubts about the advisability of staying at the Ramada Plaza. However, all these fears were put to rest and I and my partner spent a really relaxing week soaking up some winter sun around the huge pool area, dining sumptuously in the excellent restaurant and generally being spoiled by the staff.
Some extension and refurbishment work was in progress during our stay in early February but this was unobtrusive and part of the re-branding exercise by Ramada who recently took over ownership.
I could honestly recommend this hotel to anyone who goes abroad for a good time and not to find fault with everything.

Stayed February 2008
4 Thank midshipman
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2007

Just spent a week here and all I can say is the hotel and staff were great. Whilst the hotel was fairly quiet as the season is more or less over, the restaurant (buffet) was excellent varied theme each night and all the staff were both attentive and friendly.

Really nice location with large pool and direct access to the beach where the hotel has its own beach bar.

Our room was large and pleasant and kept clean and tidy daily.

The hotel staff also recomended a super local fish restaurant when we wanted a night away from the hotel.

Would definately go back again - and would receomend it if you want a quiet relaxing holiday in the sun.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank KedgeK
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a week in August 07 on a bed and breakfast basis. When I arrived to check in, I was kept waiting in the lobby for about 45 minutes while I was told my room was being prepared. As soon as I started to complain about the time I had been kept waiting, I was handed a key and sent on my way. When I was arrived at the room, it had twin beds when I had reserved a queen bed. I spoke to reception who were blatantly unhelpful, but after much arguing finally decided to change my room. I was taken to another room which hadn't even been cleaned, so I had to sit there in the filth and wait for the cleaners to turn up. When they arrived however, they were quite apologetic and cleaned the room very efficiently.

The breakfast buffet was good, and the lunch buffet was good on one day. Dinner left a lot to be desired and alot of the food was not very nice. The restaurant staff were always pleasant and helpful, as were the porters and doormen. The staff on reception were absolutely appalling, unhelpful, impolite and just ruined the whole ambiance of the hotel. The hotel is in a quiet area and there's nothing in the area apart from a disco. One would have hoped that the hotel would make a better effort to keep guests entertained and made to feel welcome but my experience was that they had no concern for guests whatsoever. I even had 3 messages left for me at reception on separate days and each time I enquired after them, I was told that there were no messages for me. Ridiculously useless reception staff! I would NEVER stay there again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Pool area
  • Disliked — Unhelpful and impolite reception staff
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank BarbarellaB
honiton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2006

This hotel would be heaven for the right people 60y olds who just enjoy sitting around and doing little else. I had to change our allocated room, as the first two were unacceptable, this being a 5* hotel, reception staff had to be bullied before they offered an acceptable room.The food was fairly good, plenty of choice but one always came back to the same thing, not special for a 5* hotel, The pool area was terrific , three pools and a great area to get a tan. The evening entertainment was virtualy non existant with just a small resident local trio, 5 nights a week.
Perhaps one of the most annoying aspects was many of the guests were recovering from surgery at the local clinic and could be seen most days walking around the hotel in obvious pain and their faces with white tape on after nose jobs etc.
all in all this is not a 5* hotel and I would rate it no higher than 3*
a pity realy as it has real potential.

• Liked — poolarea sunbathing
  • Disliked — tired rooms and too small beds
  • Tips/Secrets — be careful with money outside the hotel
  • Stayed October 2006
3 Thank homes4hounds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gammarth
The Residence Tunis
Regency Tunis Hotel
Regency Tunis Hotel
#4 of 6 in La Marsa
Golden Tulip Carthage Tunis

Been to Ramada Plaza Tunis? Share your experiences!