“Run down, tired, dirty hotel.” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Phebus
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Gammarth
Deal, United Kingdom
“Run down, tired, dirty hotel.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

The hotel looked run down from the outside. Inside it stuck to the theme, the interior was shabby and the carpets were dirty.
The room was a good size and had a reasonable view overlooking the pool area, however it was rather grubby. The duvet had some yellowish stain, so we had to discard it and sleep under the sheet. I woke up with a very long black hair in my mouth one morning (I have short brown hair, my girlfriend is blonde). The quality of sleep was ok if you're happy to get up at 8.
There was an annyoing man that wouldn't take no for an answer that intercepted us in the bar on the first night. He pressured us daily to go ride camels and go quad biking, he didn't appear to be hotel staff but took free reign around the hotel. We found ourselves having to hide from him as much as possible as he just wouldn't let up.
The bar was hideously overpriced, a vodka + coke cost approx £6 given the exchange rate at the time, water was £1.50 (It's about 20p from a grocery store). The best investment we made was a 6 pack of 1litre bottles of coke that we purchased from a supermarket for about £2.50, we bought vodka from the bar at £3.50 a glass and added our own coke at the poolside. Incidently, the nearest supermarket was a £12 taxi journey away, and didn't stock any alcohol at all.
The pool was very nice, however it was very crowded in the day, which we found odd as the hotel had very few guests.
The beach was very nice, clean and reasonably quiet. There were some people fishing which was slightly worrying, but I didn't find myself hooked so all was good.
The internet was very difficult to connect to in most areas we tried. It was not accessible in our room or in the lobby, so we ended up sitting in a corridor with our laptops on the 2nd floor .
If you enjoy flies landing on your face, hands and meal while eating bland, barely warm sludge then I can highly recommend the eating facilities here. The waiters cleared our plates sometimes the very second we put our cutlery down, so we felt rushed and uncomfortable. The food is all served as a buffet, so combined with the fly problem it felt like I was taking my life in my hands each meal.

We cut short our stay at Phebus due to the poor hygeine and the pushy Tunisian Del boy.
I would urge anyone considering this place to go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Soiledslacks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2010

I found the staff here to be friendly and polite, the hotel was clean. I have stayed here a few times, the hotel is used by alot of Tunisian people, I suppose it all depends what you want, but I found it to be very relaxing and laid back, the guy in the gift shop was more than friendly, but I have to say that some of the guests were the rudest I have ever come across, by the way I am english. I had doors shut in face, rude stares, and this was by the guests, didnt see any other english people there.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank kjgak
Stockholm
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

Very bad hotel! 4 Stars i don´t think so, more like 1 star.
Very poor service! Dont book this hotel!! The personel is not very friendly.
Never Again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank andsal

Travellers are raving about these Gammarth hotels

Uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2008

We stayed at the Sol Phebus as part of an organised tour, for one night at either end of our stay. It doesn't have much going for it, although it's perhaps not as bad as some reviews suggest. Our rooms were both relatively spacious, clean and comfortable, and there was a fridge.

The most annoying thing was that the bar staff automatically provided premium imported drinks when we did not specify, and then short-changed us.

There was a lot of noise from people arriving and leaving late at night and in the early morning, doors banging, wheels squeaking, that kind of thing. It is in a bad location for tourists, in the middle of nowhere.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Cheating bar staff
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2008

I had the misfortune to spend almost a week in this hotel, and it almost cost me more than a bad stay. We were initially given a dirty room where the furniture was broken. When we asked to change they moved us next to the hotel generator with no air conditioning. Finanally they gave us an adequate room on the second day, the worst thing was that they admitted to knowing what was wrong with the room.
All through my stay I was dissapointed. The cleaning staff would knock and then walk straight into your room, the food was terrible, and the staff didn't seem to care in any instance and were quite rude. We had to wait over an hour and a half for our food, the 2nd time this happened a member of our party had to go to the kitchen to get our food as we were repeatadly ignored.
When we checked out it took half an hour and the staff claimed that my debit card didn't work. I let this pass thinking it was due to being in another country as I knew I had money on it. I then proceeded to pay with my credit card, (not worth the price).
Upon arriving in the UK I was dissapointed with the stay but put it down to one of these things. When I checked my bank balance I was shocked to see that I was charged 3 times on my debit card as well as once on my credit card. It took over 3 months of calls, letters and emails and getting my bank involved before I got my money back with no compensation.
I hope that this was due to staff incompetance, but I suspect that unfortunately it was an intentional act on the hotels part and they were reluctant to take responsability until my bank got involved.
I would everyone to avoid this hotel and pay a bit more to stay somewhere better, its not worth staying there as I found out to my costs.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fa40
Oldham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2008

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for a week as part of a surgical holiday. We found this hotel to be good value for money, friendly & clean. We didn't go expecting the ritz but was plesantly surprised. On first entering the hotel, I was a bit disappointed, it looks a bit old and worn out, and the corridors to the rooms are dark but the room was pleasant enough with a good view of the beach. Yes this hotel was used by the locals and it got a bit noisy and busy at times but sayin this, there was always plenty of room in the hotel, at the dining area and at the poolside. While we were there they were holding auditions for a tv show also the tunisian football team were dining in the dining room, but it all added to the experience of the holiday. The food was excellent, plenty of choice and plenty available.
The beach was excellent with plenty of activities. My partner went quad biking from the beach which lasted for 2 hours for £20, which included a free drink in a village bar, they took him all through the forest and hilsides but take a camera as the sites and views are out of this world. this trip was more than worth the money. Also there was plenty of sunloungers, which were free. There was also a beach bar, that had good service and friendly staff. Usual sellers on the beach, but they wern't much of a problem.
The animation team was hilarious, but the only complaint we have is it was all in french, that seemed to be the only language spoken, but they made us welcome with the little bit of english they did speak.
Nothing to do near the hotel but for a few pound in a taxi you can take a trip to sidi bou said as this is lovely also la marsa is a nice place, both cost around £5 return in a taxi and is well worth the trip.

• Liked — pool and beach
  • Disliked — little english spoken
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 07sharon
Romsey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2007

Overall we were very unhappy with the hotel. We recently stayed for 5 days and would not go back, ever.

The beach and pool area are the only good points, to be honest they are excellent. However the service and rudeness from the staff ruined any good points of our stay. The food is terrible, that is of course if you are lucky enough to get served! We waited 1.5 hrs one lunchtime in the beach cafe, which would have been longer if we hadn't got up and walked out. We were also told that the chef "didn't know how to make a Tuna Nicoise Salad" despite it being on the menu and seeing other people around us being served it.

Our first night we were put in a room with a broken bed and broken air conditioning, we couldn't open the balcony door because directly outside was a very noisy large boiler. Needless to say we had a very uncomfortable first night. The next morning we complained to reception who said that they already know that the room had these problems!!!! Why they thought it was acceptable to put paying guests there I don't know. After seeing two more rooms (one of which was of a similar poor standard) we moved rooms.

The problem is the staff are completely indifferent, they honestly don't care about the guests. It claims to be a 4 star hotel. It is not.

To be fair, the price of the hotel is very cheap compared to other ones in the area, this is reflected in the poor service and hygiene.

My boyfriend has Tunisian family in the area, and through them we learnt that staff from the surrounding hotels are permitted to use the facilities at Sol Phebus which meant the pool was ridiculously over crowded with non-guests. Also we learnt that the hotel has very few members of staff, hence the poor, slow service. Also, the during the day the hotel is used as a stop for daily coach parties this meant that the facilities were stretched. One morning we couldn't even get on the beach for people. In our five night stay, two weddings took place poolside at night. Tunisian weddings are very lovely BUT also very very noisy therefore anyone with a pool/sea view would have been kept awake until the early hours of the morning as they take place at night.

Food and drink is over priced, locally you can by a large bottle of water for 14p, but in the hotel a small bottle one is £2.50!!!

I could go on and on about how bad the hotel is. We complained numerous times but were not taken seriously and were not compensated at all. Please don't waste your money on this hotel. Whoever owns this is already making a lot of money for themselves.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Service and food
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank belleandjake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gammarth
El Mouradi Gammarth
Ramada Plaza Tunis
#2 of 13 in Gammarth
Movenpick Hotel Gammarth Tunis
Golden Tulip Carthage Residence

Been to Phebus? Share your experiences!