“Nice place to relax”

Hotel Palace Hammamet Marhaba
Ranked #16 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We had a week here 2nd week in January this year. The reception/bar area has the WOW factor, with glass lifts and marble floors, just lovely. Check in was made very easy, just sat down was handed a drink and given check in forms and luggage taken up to room for us. Felt like a VIP. Room was cleaned every day, maids very pleasant and smiling. Waiters also very obliging and smiling, was well looked after all week. We had a twin room, (queen size beds) very comfy. Food all buffet style, a bit samey, but was good and always something to tempt the pallette. Evening entertainment was hit and miss, but it was closed season so didn't expect too much. Nice in the showbar which was non smoking (lobby area was smokey, but bar was non smoking). Coffee and drinks were available most of the day, but milky coffee was a bit gritty. This was the only fault I could give them.
The spa services were good, if a little rushed (we had a package and were rushed from one treatment to another, with no drinks offered) you do need to sit for a while after a body massage before moving on. A kettle and drinks facilities should surely be standard at a five star level surely it's not a step too far to be able to have an early morning cuppa before breakfast? We did have a kettle (£20 refundable deposit) and t bags, milk and cups on request from the bar, so that was ok. Did not like the wristband though and was glad to dispose of it at the end of the week.
All in all a lovely relaxing out of season break, no worries, washing up or shopping for a week - bliss.

Room Tip: We had a top floor room not near a lift, with a sea view and near the end of a corridor, it was the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank notretired-nearly
Write a ReviewReviews (1,462)

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I spent a week here with a friend for a short winter break we arrived on Sunday 5th of January 2014.
For a cheap Holiday I was more than pleased with the hotel, it was modern looking, clean, great staff who could not do enough for you and were very friendly, he rooms clean, with comfortable beds, with good bathrooms and the restaurant food for a buffet was more than acceptable.
The hotel Director who had not long been in charge was everywhere and a day did not go past without seeing him checking the restaurants the bar, and the other facilities found this very reassuring.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for a week. Had to ask 2 or 3 times for room basics and they never arrived.
Asked for cupboard to be fixed but nothing was ever done.
Special resteraunts we lovely and so were staff.
Pool was nice but it had the overall feeling that it was crying out for a lick of paint and a scrub.
Would not stay again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John251Swansea
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Arrived on 29/12/13 for a weeks New Year holiday break.
Cannot praise this hotel and their staff enough for the wonderful / almost outstanding level of customer service they all provided.

The hotel itself is beautifully presented and maintained to the highest standards 24/7. The grounds are wonderfully maintained and have a lovely welcoming feeling as you wander through them towards the sea.

The bedrooms in the hotel are massive and very comfortable ! And the beds were the most comfortable we have ever experienced away from home!

I cannot in all honesty say the food was as outstanding as each of the other aspects of this review; the breakfast service had anything I could imagine anyone would want for breakfast. Lunch & dinner was totally acceptable and plentiful, but could have been better for my fussy tastes. I never ever went hungry as always enjoyed the soups / salads / pasta offers at the buffet self service restaurant - but I did struggle to eat from the main course choices a lot of the time. Having said that - it would not stop me from returning to this hotel.

The Spa treatments were again - just OK from my perspective; you just have to accept you get what you pay for in relation to the facilities and the delivery of the treatments. The surroundings in some areas the steam rooms / treatment rooms need some attention to detail and do not meet the standards of UK 5 start hotels in most respects - but if one accepts this is Tunisian 5 star it's still a relaxing way to spend a few hours.

The entertainments - again - have to accept its an in house entertainment team in the main - were not really entertaining. We attended to support the staff - who again were lovely lovely willing young people - but we could not stay to watch it all as it they were all amateurs in reality.

Outside the hotel Tunisia is Tunisia. The poverty one sees can be quite disturbing; and its hard to work out sometimes what are building being constructed and what buildings are in decay. We went to the main very big Market in Hammamet for a ride out of the holiday - it was about 30 mins and further than we expected. The is a smaller local one in between which we also visited. You must be prepared for the onslaught of sometimes quite aggressive sales pitches - this reflects their dire need to make a living in my view. Beware - most of their starting prices for absolutely everything are outrageous - and they do know that - they try it on! I bought 2 lovely bags that in a shop they started at asking 70 dinas for - in the fixed price shop in the big market bought them for 23!

Despite the negative observations reported here - as I said - I would go back to this hotel as we did have a lovely stay and immensely enjoyed our holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main hotel overlooking the car park ( room 1234) it's not as bad as it sounds...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Moira A
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed here in december and there was not a thing you could fault them for. hotel was more than impressively clean and staff were very accomodating. i was there alone for some time until family met me there and they were all kind to me while alone :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank ruth m
Reviewed 16 December 2013

One person, out of over 100 at the hotel lets the side down, but I have to say that, Fabio apart, we were seriously impressed with Riu Palace Hammamet Marhaba .

First impressions count and the initial glimpse of this hotel, coming up the drive through the immaculate grounds, raises expectations. It is quite gorgeous.

Into the hotel we go, and the impression is maintained. Perhaps it would be hyperbole to describe the foyer as breathtaking, but that’s the effect it had on me.

But, no time now to take it all in quite yet: Marhaba means welcome in Arabic and this hotel lives up to its name. Now, we did arrive a wee bit ahead of everyone else, as we took a taxi from the airport. This may have meant that we enjoyed a more personalised welcome than the others, who arrived en masse, later. The hotel manager came out, sat us down with a drink and talked us through the hotel’s facilities, fitted us with wristbands and treated us like honoured guests.
Off we then trotted, a porter carrying our bags, to our poolside bungalow room.

Bizarrely, some of the “bungalows” are 2-storey, with rooms above. To me that is not a bungalow but perhaps I am old-fashioned. Anyway, I digress. Room was lovely. Groovy brick-vaulted-ceiling effect over a bed so enormous that I lost my wife a couple of times when I awoke in the middle of the night and had to roll all the way over to her side to reassure myself that she had not been kidnapped! All was well, however.

Bathroom nice. Above-the-bath shower boasted water pressure so powerful we could not use it at full blast. Plentiful hot water. The plumbing is extremely noisy, so if you flush when your neighbours are sleeping, you will wake them unless they have been going full pelt at the cocktail bar.

Satellite TV has several English-language news channels and one channel showing English-language films with Arabic subtitles. Minibar is stocked each day with mineral water and a bottle of soft drink. My wife enquired about a kettle for the room at Reception and they found her one after a couple of days. It is not part of the formal offer, but they do have some they lend out as a favour to the (mainly British) holidaymakers who ask for one.

Location of room was excellent; downstairs, so we could slip straight through the French windows to the pool. Also very convenient for the beach.

Anyway, off we head to the bar before lunch, where we are served at our seat with wine and cocktails by extremely professional, multilingual bar staff. I heard them conversing fluently in English, French, German and Arabic and I have it on good authority that they look after the Russian guests in their own language, too. (Even our chambermaid, the lovely Nouria, was fluent in Arabic, French and English).

Lunch is served in the main dining room. Rows of tempting delicacies are laid out to choose from, buffet style. Very good indeed for such mass catering. No sooner are we seated than a waiter appears and takes our drinks order. White wine is produced and sat in an ice bucket. Lovely.

Dinner is a similar affair, except you may choose, at no extra cost, to eat in one of the speciality restaurants.

Entertainment surprised me with the quality of the programme, the energy, commitment and enthusiasm of the animation team. No Butlins karaoke night on offer here. This made the Fabio experience all the more disappointing, by contrast. But more of that in a while; I digress again.

Other features include indoor swimming pool, tennis court, blah, blah, etc., which you can read about in the brochure.

Overall, a lovely holiday, an excellent hotel with a very good range of facilities and outstanding staff.

Except for Fabio, the one rogue element. Fabio is on the animation team, responsible for activities and entertainment within the hotel grounds. My wife and I went along for the weekly Arabic lesson. I am a bit of a language geek, it has to be said, and I had been looking forward to this lesson for a while. Aforementioned Fabio looked pretty pissed off that anyone had actually turned up and he didn’t get any happier when a German lady appeared also. Now he had 3 people to talk to. Never mind: he had a pre-printed list of words and expressions that, with very little preamble and no welcome to speak of, he commenced barking at us, gesturing that we should write them down. Interested in the differences between Egyptian and Tunisian Arabic, I attempted to engage him in a bit of conversation. To little effect. On he went, barking his pre-prepared script in his ill-humoured fashion until a colleague of his passed by. He called her over and started a loud argument in Arabic with her! He seemed to be demanding that she go to fetch him a piece of cake from the afternoon tea trolley. She refused and walked off. 5 minutes later he started shouting across the foyer at another colleague, again sustaining a bad-tempered conversation, at high volume, in Arabic, while ignoring us. After about 20-25 minutes of what we had supposed to be a one-hour class, he reached the end of his script, pronounced the lesson over and left, presumably to get himself some cake! It should be said that he has no communication difficulties: he was equally at home being rude in German as in English. He just could not be bothered. The problem is that everyone else tries so hard, does so well and creates such a good atmosphere, that he sticks out like a nastily infected thumb.

So, if you’re not too bothered about your Arabic lesson, and I understand that most people aren’t, then I unreservedly recommend the Riu Palace Hammamet Marhaba to you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Filosofo1961
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The staff made sure you had a good service and were very well mannered. Had a nice stay here and the hotel was clean. Also the rooms were more than good, with enough space.
Enough entertainment in the hotel also.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends