“Lovely Relaxing Break” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 123 Hotels in Hammamet
London
“Lovely Relaxing Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I'll start by saying the overall holiday was great, and just what me and my boyfriend wanted. I've rated it a 4/5 because based on past experience, this isn't quite a 5* hotel by my standards! although for Tunisian standards, it may very well be.

Staff:
The staff are the crowning glory of this hotel. Tipping is a great way of showing thanks and it really is appreciated- we tipped 2 dinar at every meal/drinks at the bar/ pool assistance etc. Bearing in mind that's around 65p it really isn't much. On the other-hand, we noticed a lot of our fellow guests did not tip, and they still received a great standard of service. Drinks were waiting for us at dinner in an ice bucket, and our regular waiters always were friendly, welcoming and polite.

Food:
The overall standard of food is good. It can get a little monotonous by the end of the week but there are different specialties each day to keep it interesting. Pizza and pasta is available at every lunch and dinner, as well as things such as grilled salmon fillet, grilled chicken breast etc. I'm a fussy eater and I was perfectly satisfied with everything. I would definitely recommend that you book into the Tunisian restaurant at least once. You may choose from beef or fish and the "beef" is not given justice with that description; it is a wonderful piece of fillet steak, cooked to order and presented beautifully. I would have happily paid £20 for it back home in London, so it really is great to be included in the price.

Rooms:
We were in bungalow 954, just opposite the hotel in the immaculately kept gardens. It was quite basic but absolutely spotless which is a big issue for me. The bed was huge and comfortable, and the sofas and armchairs with footstools offered my boyfriend and I a nice comfortable space to watch the World Cup in our rooms when we were in. We had a small issue with bugs by the back doors, but this was rectified almost immediately. Things like that happen and are somewhat beyond the control of the hotel, so for me the fact that it was rectified so quickly meant it wasn't an issue. The mini bar is stocked with water and, rather oddly, one bottle of fanta each day. Bit strange since there was two of us, but again not really an issue. The only other niggles with our room was that there was no bottle opener for the aforementioned fanta, and there was no full length mirror; there was a huge mirror in bedroom and in the bathroom but as I am only 5"4 I could only see up until my hips.... not great for assessing outfits! As I said though, minor issues (which my boyfriend and I creatively resolved ourself....)

Entertainment:
We aren't big on evening entertainment, and given that it was on we chose to watch some of the World Cup rather than partake in it. I must give credit to the animation team- they were constantly working- around the pools during the day gathering people for aqua gym, yoga, tennis etc and then again at night in the bar for whatever they were doing in the evening- karaoke, drag night (yes really) etc etc. what I will say is that the music from the entertainment is LOUD. We could hear it from our bungalow at about midnight, and we were quite a way away from the entertainment area, so it must have been deafening for those on floor 1 of the main hotel.

In conclusion (and sorry for the essay, but I like to be thorough!) it was a great, relaxing holiday which perfectly did its job. Definitely would recommend if you just want a lazy week sitting by the pool/sea with great waiter service.

Room Tip: Honestly due to the music we heard I would opt for a bungalow. They are big, spacious and far away f...
4 Thank Kathryn D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

If you're looking for a relaxing and peaceful getaway, then this is the hotel for you. However, if you're a younger couple, like my partner and I, you will get bored after a week. There's not a lot to do, but like I said, if you want to lounge around the pool for a week then go to this hotel!

I will just go through some of the negative points, that didn't ruin our holiday, just small points.

Firstly, the food is a little repetitive, there's loads of choices, but you do kind of see the same food out every day. At the same time, the food was delicous.

Secondly, the foyer is quite smokey. Alot of Europeans visit this hotel and they are like chain smokers. When it came a problem, we just went outside.

A major problem is the exursions salesmen, who do tend to bother you, trying to sell stuff like, quad biking, boat trips etc, just tell them no and they will leave you alone, but they can be a little pushy.

Be prepared to tip!!! You don't have to, but I think they expect you too. The currency value in Tunisia is ridiculous, so cheap, so tipping is pretty much the only thing you'll spend your money on.

Lastly, we went on 1 or 2 day trips, booked through our rep. We did get to visit a Roman colisseum, which was overwhelming, but that was the only experience we enjoyed. There really is not a lot to in Tunisia. In 10 years time I reckon it will be a great place to go on holiday, as they will have more for tourists to do. However, it did get boring at times.

To finish off I do recommend this particular hotel, but not if you're young and enjoy the more lively holidays. But if you're looking to just relax for a week then go here!! The staff are wonderful! Nothing is a problem! They will do whatever you ask! Customer service at it's best! Oh and the rooms are stunning! Hands down, best shower I have ever had!

• Stayed October 2013
Derby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one week in May. Our hook day for for complete relaxation with a bit luxury...this is exactly what we got. The rooms were huge, clean, with all the amenities you could want.
The service was fabulous, the staff could not do enough for us and we always felt welcome wherever we were in the hotel.
If there were a couple of tips I could give they would be;
1. Take a trip to old Hammermet- walk along the beach turning left as you leave the hotel- we had a fabulous day there.
2. Change your pounds at the hotel reception desk as and when you need it- tip a few dinars for service.
3. The night life isn't exactly 'exciting/entertaining' so maybe take cards to play in your room with!

Over all we had a fantastic week and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Kate B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Cannot fault this hotel at all. Everything from start to finish was fantastic. We were given a sea view bungalow room (418) which could not have been better. A seconds walk to one of the swimming pools and the restaurant. There were also two sun loungers on our balcony which was a sun trap. A lot of people got up really really early to reserve beds which was a bit of a pain, but with that said we still managed to get some as you have direct access to the beach with a lot of sun loungers on there too. The food was great, a lot of selection to suit everybodys needs and the two al a carte restaurants are to die for, Tunisian one especially. I booked with Thomson, so the al a cartes were unlimited through out my stay. The hotel even accomodated for guests wanting to watch the World Cup, so every game was on. Antonio, the hotel manager was really approachable aswell which was great. He really made an effort to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The area itself, wasnt great. So only book this hotel if you are happy to relax for the week, direct access to the beach and plenty bars and restaurants means you dont really have to leave. When it comes to exchanging money, only do a little at a time as you get charged a lot of commission at the airport to change it back to sterling. Over all.... Great holiday!!

Room Tip: Sea View Bungalow Room
2 Thank jforres1
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here May 2014 for a a week for our honeymoon. The staff can not do enough for you, the food was lovely, and the location was perfect. We stayed in the cottage which was very clean with a garden view, couldn't fault it. We will return again, not next year because we want to try somewhere new, but we will return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AmandaT-B
newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

we have been to this hotel twice now and it is very very good staff are great rooms very good and great service but we stayed in room 1220 it faces the front of the hotel so all rooms that face the hotel entrance will have the same problem noise till 4-30 in the morning of the disco which is right next door to the hotel very loud indeed

Room Tip: dont get room facing the hotel entrance disco next door very loud
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We arrived on the 5th June to be warmly greeted by reception staff with drinks which made a good first impression. We were taken to our room which I was a little unhappy with as I had requested a poolside bungalow not a garden side. However the next day I had a word at reception and they happily moved us. I can't see why people moaned about the food at the Palace I thought this was outstanding and staff constantly checked the temperature of food to make sue it was correct. The Hotel is located on a lovely sandy beach with free sunbeds and has lovely pool areas. Another pro was the swim up pool bar which was nice to relax at with a drink whilst still in the pool.

Good:
-Food was very good during our stay
-Friendly and helpful staff
-Lovely beachfront location
-Great selection of drinks
-Lovely weather
-Nice pool areas
-Stunning reception area
-Spacey rooms

Bad points:
- Rooms were not quite 5 star standard in my opinion.
-Poor entertainment at nights
-Smoking is allowed in the hotel
-Nothing to do locally outside of the hotel
-Thomson reps are never around, and no longer on the transfers which causes mega confusion.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms
1 Thank Lee W