“Very disappointed, and astonished of its ranking, it is 3* only”
Review of SENTIDO Le Sultan

SENTIDO Le Sultan
Ranked #3 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed 17 July 2012

After several comparisons between Hammamet hotels we chose le sultan hotel as it was ranked No 10 Family hotel, I booked one week family holiday at this hotel after one day in Djerba plaza hotel, but when we stayed at le sultan hotel we were shocked, and we discovered that there is a big difference between both hotels, and we were Very disappointed, and after 2 days negotiation for the cancellation I have succeeded and changed my stay for 2 days at Elmoradi in Yasmine Hammamet which was much better than le Sultan, and 5 days at Djerba plaza which was excellent.
The negative points at le sultan were: the restaurant was dirty; floor, chairs, tables, but the food was ok; the swimming pool was very classic and small, and the most terrible thing is the beach which need experts for rock climbing, and very risky to go down, (should not be noted as beach hotel); rooms are average and old furniture, The bathroom is relatively poor; The café was small and you should come early to find a place. Overall I would not recommend Le sultan hotel especially for families with small kids.

Room Tip: if you chose a sea view room make sure it is not up of the restaurant,otherwise you cannot use the b...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SAF13
Write a ReviewReviews (2,175)

Reviewed 8 July 2012

My partner and I have just returned from two weeks all inclusive at the Le Sultan. He had been there five years ago and on his recommendation we went.

I loved it although I think to be perfectly honest the fact that he was born in Tunisia and speaks fluent French did help. If I had gone by myself or with someone else, I am not really sure I would have known about the art of tipping. The hotel staff do not earn very much and really do rely on their tips to supplement their wages. I found the majority of the staff lovely and really helpful. Maybe their English wasn't brilliant but you could easily make yourself understood. I would say that the drinks could be a little hit and miss sometimes but that added to the fun your evenings, you could order the same cocktail every evening and it would never taste the same but that really wasn't a problem. The food was very plentiful. I take on board other reviewers comments regarding the food being the same over and over but I think they really did their very best to cater for all tastes. Beware - some people really don't know the meaning of queuing. It could be most annoying when some nationalities just ignored completely this very simple art. If you can't beat them, join them and just be a little assertive without being rude. As for the previous reviewer's comment regarding no bacon in the morning, Tunisia is a Muslim country and any form of pork/ham/bacon is forbidden.

The hotel was spotless, and very comfortable.

I loved my stay at the Le Sultan. I did venture out for a few trips i.e. Tunis which is just manic, so much traffic and no highway code. They don't seem to have very much road sweepers either as there was an awful lot of rubbish lying around everywhere. A lot of building work was going on around the area of Hammamet but you are definitely not disturbed by this in the hotel as you are set well away in huge grounds. The government I believe have said that all building works are to be completed by 2014 which should be good. There are building sites everywhere and building rubble spoils the place.

The beach is not as difficult to get to as people have made out - a few steps from the pool area, a very short walk along a man made walkway and you are on the beach. In two weeks I was asked by one local if I wanted to buy anything on the beach and when I said no, that was it. No more hassle.

As for the souks, that is a different story altogether. The shopkeepers could be really annoying, they would constantly pester you to visit their shop. Just don't make eye contact, do not show any interest in any items until you are 100% sure you want to buy. They will suggest a price that is at least 4 times higher than you should pay. I wanted to buy a decorative tile - my partner using his perfect French asked the price, was told 25 dinars (approx £10) to which he offered 5 dinars, the seller said 10 and my partner said 5 dinars or forget it. He took the 5 dinars. The souks are definitely worth a visit but just be warned they can be hard work, definitely wear sun glasses so you can glance at things and be less obvious.

All in all I would love to go back but I would go for the sun, sea and relaxation which I definitely got at this hotel. The hustle and bustle of the towns you can keep now that I have experienced them.

Room Tip: We had a garden view but because of our position (room no. 236) we had a fairly good sea view. I wo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pella2
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed an this hotel, all inclusive, from June 10th to June 20th. I would love to rate this hotel as 5 stars, because we had such a great holiday and the hotel itself is completely spotless. However, I do not think the hotel deserves 5 stars.

There were very few things for us that let it down. But one thing was the evening entertainment. It was awful. I think the most lively thing about it was karaoke one night, which lasted about an hour before everyone just seemed to vacate to their rooms. The entertainment on other nights was bingo and then a music quiz afterwards, like you get in a pub quiz. And that was about it. It may be better in busier times like July and August, but I'm unsure.

The only other thing that I wasn't really impressed with was the food. At first it was not great, but it was okay. For breakfast they had a few cereals that I had never seen before, a variety of fruit, crepes made freshly in front of you with jam, sugar and nutella as the choices of filling/topping, there was English breakfast foods, but no bacon and there was also the choice of having an omelette made fresh in front of you with a choice of fillings, 3 maximum, and there was probably more but I can't remember now.

Dinner and tea were okay. There was quite a lot of variety, but the food just wasn't up to scratch, in my opinion. By the end of the holiday we were completely sick of the food, because it doesn't change much at all on different days. So, if you go all inclusive I highly recommend eating out some nights. The food in any restaurant in the area is very cheap anyway, so it's worth it.

The rooms were very nice. We had a garden view balcony, which isn't the nicest of views, as all you can see is trees and some plants, but it wasn't a bother because we were never on the balcony anyway. They were very very clean and a decent size and the air conditioning was very strong, it could make the room ice cold on the hottest of days on full power, so the heat in the room was never a problem. We had no towel decorations on our beds in the morning, but our friends on a floor above did. I'm not sure how they pick and choose who get's them, because our other friends with a bigger, sea view room had no decorations either. This obviously isn't a problem, but little things like that are always nice. I would highly recommend a sea view room as the view is definitely worth the little extra in my opinion. They also get a lot more sun on the balcony.

The staff bar staff were very friendly! We did not tip at all until the very last day. But the service we had was still excellent. However I can't say the same for the restaurant staff. In there, if you are all inclusive they seem to just avoid you. We were lucky to make friends with a member of staff in there and he would order people to serve us if he was busy or do it himself if he wasn't. But if it wasn't for him you have to shout them over and wait until they respond. But anyway, as I said, the bar staff and waiters outside were excellent. They were all friendly and quite chatty, if you can speak French they you are in luck, because their English is not the best.

The hotel grounds were lovely. There was never any rubbish on the grounds, I didn't see any. And considering there were about 4 cats that would walk around the grounds, there was no mess at all from them either. The pool is very nice, it's a good size and the children's part is behind the big plant, so you shouldn't get bothered by them.

I've seen one or two reviews saying you have to be a rock climber to get to the beach and it's a fair distance away. The people who say that must be very very old. There are steps about 15 feet away from the pool that lead down to a little walkway to the right. You then walk another 15 feet over the walkway. Once you have done that, congratulations, you made it across the "treacherous" journey to the beach. It really is very easy. The beach itself, though, isn't the best. It is very clean. Not a "rubbish dump" as a person below said. You get pestered quite a lot from the locals trying to sell you stuff. But it's Tunisia, so you should be expecting that anyway. If you are all inclusive you can go kayaking or you can take a pedalo and maybe some other things, I'm not sure, all for free. If you are not all inclusive you have to pay. I think it's somewhere around 5-10 dinar. You can also go paragliding (I think it's called that, when you are attached to a boat my a rope and you are on a parachute? Anyway....) that costs 60 dinar for two people. But you can barter with them a little bit.

About Tunisia itself:

Because we are a young couple (18 and 17) we were rather worried about the hassle we would get out there. But it turned out to be completely fine. If you wear sunglasses and don't look at them they don't bother you at all, and if you're not wearing sunglasses they just ask you to come in to their shop or buy something and then they leave you be if you say no. We were mainly concerned about how the men would be with my girlfriend. But they never said a word to her, they would all come after me!

Overall Opinion:

If you're looking for a nice relaxing holiday, I would highly recommend this hotel. If you want night-life, I would not.

My girlfriend and I would definitely stay here again, but first we have other places to see!

Tips:

Get a sea view room!
If all inclusive, go out for food some nights or you will get fed up!
Be friendly to the staff and they will be friendly back!

And most importantly - Drink lot's of Boukha!

Room Tip: Definitely get a sea view room if you plan on using the balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DionWilcox
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This all-inn hotel is great for your stay at one of the beaches in Tunesia!
People are friendly ,great service, a variety of local and non local food but drinks could be better.
The beach of the hotel is ok and guarded by their own security.
One minor point for the divers out there if you are an experienced diver don't bother using the hotel's diving station Odysea! I say this because a single dive costs 35 euro (ok i have no problem with that) but after 40 min dive is over
even if when there is still 120 bar left in your scuba tank ! The policy of the station is 40 min is more than ok and if you stay longer down well you will need decompression which puts their knowledge of diving in question!
Beside this a great place to stay!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ledudechris
Reviewed 4 June 2012

hotel is not a 4* more like 2* food ok if you like the same thing over and over. Bar staff very rude and surly Entertainment was awful suited to 8yr olds now the beach you need to be good at rock climbing and when you have risked your life getting to it its a rubbish dump . room was small and shabby sunny balcony never saw sunlight had a veiw of a wall was overrun with children even though thomas cook stated hotel was suited for 14yrs and up on our last day we had a 3hr wait for our transfer it was very hot and we fancied a ice lolly or cream but the hotel does not sell lollys or ice creams?? all together a terrible holiday nothing like thomas cook advertised

Room Tip: top floors over looking pool
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Victoria G
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Excellent hotel.
There are activities for kids.
The beach is only two minutes.
Service is very good and staff are friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: we had a triple bedroom, but there was no double bed, they were 3 separate beds.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank IssamGi
Reviewed 28 March 2012

A good base if you want to explore Cape Bon peninsula and Tunis.
Fairly good public transports and close enough to Hammamet to go there in the evening if you want a bit of night life.
not very friendly to vegetarian or people with allergies.
good for a family, or if solo just to put your head down

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo