“Saying average but place does have potential Thomson need to know staff are ruining what could be a great hotel! ”

Palm Beach Club Hammamet
Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend visited Tunisia for a cheap week break. This is all we expected because when you pay just over £700 in school holidays I'm not expecting 5* treatment. This is where the problems lie, people are being advised this is 4* hotel it's not Thomson don't say it is and people are coming with quite high expectations, moan about it and the hotel shouldn't even be meeting those standards anyway.

Positives: - the animation team make this place and are the only staff there who make it an enjoyable experience. They work unbelievably hard 14+hrs a day looking after both children and adults and make sure they get to know each and every one of you. Their English is amazing and make you feel so welcome! Well done guys! Keep at it! The entertainment at night is a little dated but your in a foreign country it's going to be different! Some can be quite amusing! I recommend Monday "if I didn't work in this hotel what job would I do" it's hilarious!
There is enough sports, games and activities for everyone to join in. Water polo, football, volley ball, darts, aqua gym and Zumba it's all great!

Cleanliness: I have never stayed in a hotel where it is constantly being cleaned. Rooms, hotel and gardens are all so well looked after. Tip the cleaners and they do fancy things on the bed with towels and petals.
Hotel surroundings are beautifully kept and well maintained.

Ok... I'm not going to say negatives because they are not id say more "teething problems" which you can easily get a grip of yourself and still enjoy your holiday which some people just moan and there's no need. Plus also with Thomson getting on top of it now hopefully this is going to be an up and coming hotel.

Food: all inclusive if you are a picky eater and know you will moan then don't go. But if you are will to try and understand it's Tunisia not England then the food can be ok. Yes ok it can be a bit repetitive there's always pasta/pizza, meat off a barbecue, plenty of salad (expect it to be different but it's all nice) Cous cous roasted veg, some English spag Bol or shepherds pie, chips rice soup and plenty of bread!
If you think it's repetitive use ur common sense and make something with it! If there is chicken and bread and you moan about it not being good enough n always on offer make a chicken sandwich you eat them here!!! The only way you will starve is if you are stubborn and not adventurous it's not all that bad. All inclusive restaurants beach bar isn't you pay you book 24hrs in advanced at the restaurant n from what I gathered there was only 1 a pizza place possibly wok food.
Snacks were poor by the pool bar and breakfast if you like sweet pastry your fine but eggs are on offer pancakes cereal and toast.

People moaned about the tables not being cleaned or no knives and forks replaced - pathetic there were plenty of tables just move and find one that is clean, maybe they hadn't has chance to clean yet as they are so busy!

All inclusive bar: advertised as bars it's not it's mainly 1. Which is central by the pool easy to get to. Problems... They give U party cups which is fine in the day if sat by the pool as no one wants smashed glass in anyone's feet. But if not by pool you should be offered a glass and plastic cups shouldn't be used in the nighttime. The bar upstairs we didn't find out that was all inclusive till the 4th day into our weeks holiday which from 5-11pm it was but the next day there was up roar because everyone found this out they were using it and they didn't want to give away English beer free! So they stopped bottled beer and sent the bar boy down to get trays of tap beer from the pool bar.
This is because the lazy miserable small man behind the posh bar can't be bothered working and is causing all problems with the drinks. He is stuck up miserable trying to be smart ruining the hotel and He needs sacking!!!

Hotel manager parades around always in shiny trousers he sticks out amongst the crowd you will notice him. But he will only properly ever speak to you if you've complained because after that - he's your best friend and will aim to please.

As I say these are mostly teething problems and also lack of common sense and willingness to accept your in Tunisia it's going to be a little different. I'm not making them negatives as I don't want them to be. We enjoyed our stay because we got on with it and made it worth while which can be done easily!

People who moan are doing it for compensation, when really If they had tried to enjoy it they probably will have done. Or complained earlier something could have been done about it.

Thomson rep will do anything to sort out your problems by speaking to who ever necessary in the hotel.

Really do want to hear this hotel has got better in the future and that Thomson can sort it quick.

Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Amy G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel is good! And this from someone who finds fault with many places. Its not 4 star but really a 3 star and if you get a good price then its worth it!

The food is very good and some of the best pasta ever! Chefs very good. There are many little negatives but we are on the beach, you can leave your things anywhere and it feels safe and the pool and sea are great. There are loud areas and quiet parts. The hotel suits all ages. Lovely animation team and entertainment stops at 11pm. We are above the stage so no good if you like to sleep early but we have got into this time zone and sleep from 11pm. Its good for little children and great for teens. The staff are helpful and friendly and the manager a delight. I had a 4 treatment spa session which was good value but female staff not so friendly there which was a shame. I would come back as the beach is heaven and the food wonderful and I'm a foodie! And the manager has looked after us very well.

• Stayed August 2014
7 Thank crazybaby
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Ok where to start,
Firstly I will start by saying the hotel is kept very clean and tidy and looks very nice.
And if your after a b&b, half/full board experience it would be well suited.... But we didn't we booked all inclusive and didn't feel the hotel could meet these standards.
Our room to start, was clean and tidy, except for the bath which was a bit dated and stained and the view of the carpark and back of another building from the balcony was a let down. The air con unit (which is free) broke on our second day, when we complained they sent the maintenance guy around who did nothing really, after ten minutes we went down to ask if they would move us and we were told it was fixed. We'll it wasn't...20 minutes later it was pouring out with water and the ceiling was coming through. They did then move us to a very nice room on the top floor with a great view, maid service is very good with new sheets and towels every day, can't complain there.
As I said we had all inc, but there was no snack bar available unless you include the left overs from the previous restaurant sitting being left to sit in the sun on trays all day as snacks. The drinks were flat and very sweet, and came in the cup the size of an egg cup. Also there was only one all inc bar serving drinks so there was a queue every evening when entertainment was on, we avoided the hotel at night in the end.
I can't really comment on the entertainment because the pool was very loud and so we preferred the beach, I think it was mostly French spoken by the pool dj but I can't be sure. The beach was lovely and we sat on the private beach which has a security guard to stop the sellers pestering you.
However we went during Ramadan and after it ended the hotel seemed to be very full with local people, we struggled to get a sun bed and a place on there beach for the last two days.
When you go to the medinas you get a lot of hassle from the for the hastle shop owners, the will do anything to get you to buy something, We thought we safe from this in the hotel but we were wrong. The hotel had a market day around the pool one day and we couldn't walk to the beach without being asked if we want to buy something, I only glanced at a football shirt and the store owner had it in a bag ready for me.
the part that really annoyed me was the shop in the hotel itself, nothing has a price on it, so we went looking for after sun picked up a bottle and was told it was 15 dinar, next day when we went to buy it the guy asked for 20 dinar??? So I told him that the day before he had said 15 and he soon changed his mind......roll on a few days later when walking around the town we seen a shop selling exactly the same after sun for 6 dinar!!!!!! Almost a third of the price! Getting ripped off at my hotel what's going on there?
The hotel hasn't got a lot in walking distance, there is supermarkets close that sell most of what u need. But there is a few young children who beg you to buy flowers off them, we had one quite literally hanging off our shopping. But there are always taxis outside the hotel and it's cheap enough to get to the town centre, about £2 roughly.
I will say that the staff are very helpful especially the young woman and man that work on reception. The guy with glasses who looks after the money needs to cheer up though.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cary Y
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Arrived on 23rd July 2014. reported faulty beside light, repaired with electricians tape.
Not enough cutlery, could not eat together as when we went to get our food
somebody else took our table. Nothing worked in our room. adult entertainment
started at 22.00 finished at 23.00. Only one bar all inclusive finished at 23.00
Only allowed 1.5 litre of water but told to fill up from various coolants around hotel
For cereal at breakfast was choc co co pops or rainbow pops, Food cold, water warm,

DAVID PORTSMOUTH

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David F
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had a great holiday in this hotel but it could be so much better and lets itself down with simple things.
There was never enough cutlery or glasses at the restaurant.
The all inclusive only includes 3 meals a day and drinks from only one bar.
Things in our room were broken eg plug sockets and the balcony door.
The reception ran out of tunisian dinar twice when i went to ask and seeing as reception was the only place to get money, this was very disappointing.
Reception staff were generally quite rude and unacommodating apart from one young man.
Wifi was intermittent and bad quality.
Entertainment team were fantastic and made the holiday so much better, momo and djo were the best
Aqua gym was great fun and the water activities were great!
Definitely go to the zoo! It was one of the best days of my life! I'd recommend paying the money to feed the good animals eg zebras/giraffes/elephants but not the deer etc. But don't go to the dophin show, the dolphins are captured which I believe is cruel.
Jet skiing wasn't cheap but was fantastic.
Rooms were classic and clean.

All in all, a good holiday with a variation of temperatures of weather but the hotel was let down by many little things.

Room Tip: A "sea view" room is not worth the money as it is a short walk to the sea and usually ther...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Lucy R
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

For 2 weeks ive been waiting to write this review im really not sure where to start.
here goes. THE WORST HOTEL EVER
we arrive after a delayed flight. Tired and hot and bothered but we had to wait round for a room. When booking we asked for bunkbeds with a sea view. We got a room with no bed for our daughter and a terrible view, after 2 hours and 3 more room changes we got the room we asked for when booking, it wasn't clean but the maid was working on it. Yes the animation team work hard so hard and never complain, they are so lovely and never stop smiling but the entertainment is shocking its repetitive and so boring. The food was dreadful. The english were surviving on chips, pizza, chicken and rice thats when u could find a plate,Knives,forks,glasses etc... breakfast was the worst. U wait 20mins for an omlete for it to be undercooked not much of selection of anything else, we survived on chocolate croissants for 2 weeks, the drinks were awful. If u like sugar and sweet sickly drinks ur fine. The first week I felt so ill as no cola light was availble after a few complaints the rep sorted it that we could go to the pay bar and have cola light from there, the alcohol was rubbish and not worth bothering with. We were there when Ramadan finished it was awful the hotel was rammed with locals using our pool and we couldn't leave our sunbeds or they would be taken by the locals there was no room in the pool for us and we felt very pushed out, this all wouldn't have mattered if it was a one off but it wasn't our hotel must be the only place on earth that sells day passes to locals to use our pool and facilities and so the whole time u feel pushed out and not able to enjoy the pool, sea or the holiday, although it says private beach its not, it is shared with locals and other hotels. We were sold the holiday with snack bars and icecream but dont get excited . The first week it was non existent once the rep stepped in icecream became available on occasional evening meals but limited it was not available throughout the day like most all inclusive's are. The snacks on the second week were dried up croissants mid morning and dried up sandwiches mid afternoon really not worth leaving ur sun loungers for. All the staff including the manager were lovely they really couldn't be faulted and after an incident with my daughter she was the mangers best friend, he went out of his way for her. The guys in the hotel shops are lovely as well u can have a laugh with them and if u leave the hotel and turn right the 3rd shop along sells everything u need. They even do henna tattoo's and will touch them up before u leave for home. Very good prices.one of the guys who works there is funny he speaks great English and will help you out with anything u need.
The weather was amazing. The hotel was clean, staff amazing and hard working and we loved the beach and pool when the locals weren't taking over it, but its the first holiday my husband has counted down to coming home as he usually wants to stay.
The rep (3rd one in a month) is lovely and really trying to sort the hotel out but it wont happen over night. She has just moved in and on our last night the food was lovely alot of effort was made were not sure if it was for the reps benefit but it was good, the payable bar has now become part of the all inclusive 5pm-11pm for beer and soda on our last few days of the holiday through Thomson only as far as I know. Fingers crossed it starts to pick up and become an amazing place to stay as it has the potential im sure.

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank charliewayne14
Kladno, Czech Republic
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was my first vacation in Tunisia. In the hotel we stayed for 11 days and I traveled together with my boyfriend and we are both excited about this holiday. Hotel is very well located, the rooms are clean and the staff extremely helpful and friendly. The beach was small, but clean and the sea was fantastic. There were small gaps in the dining room - a smaller number of drinking glasses, but enough to wait a few minutes and the staff complement these glasses, it's not what bothered me and I understand that it may become in hotel with full occupancy. For staff is very hard to keep clean dining room during lunch, especially when you see the behavior of some guests. Animation team was great, every evening we had a lot of fun. I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to spend a relaxing and beautiful vacation in Tunisia.

Room Tip: Best rooms are on the top floor, I recommended room 417 (beautiful sea and pool view).
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple