“Do not stay here!”

Ranked #40 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Do not stay here!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Walked in to a dark hotel, no welcome off anyone. Expected to find our own room at quarter to 1 in the morning!

Food is horrible, lived on rice and chips for two weeks. Nothing on offer that looked even half decent. Never had any clean plates or glasses had to wait till they had been brought out. None of the tables were set all dirty and food all over them. Many tables sat with dirty pots on the whole time while we were eating and the staff would just walk past them.

Entertainment team work really hard and always have a smile on their face but they just ignore the English and focus on the rest of the guests. The evening entertainment was awful, boring and not suitable for children.

The men in the two shops are lovely, we really became friends with them and would often cheer us up.

We booked the room as it was a pool/sea view, this was not the case we was facing the hotel next door which would often have loud music on and keep you awake all night. We could also see some waste land which was just lovely :/

I would NOT stay here ever again! If anything its put me off Tunisia all together!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Christielee G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Belgrade, null, Serbia
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I spent 10 days with friends at the Palm Beach Hotel In August. I am very pleased with the service, the hotel staff was friendly, the food was excellent and varied. The rooms are clean, towels and sheets are changed regularly. The beach is clean, and access to the sea is excellent.
If you want a quiet holiday, I would recommend this hotel.

VK

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Vera K
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

as the title says this really is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in as an inclusive.

Its like a zoo when it comes to meal times. Well that's if you can get a plate and cutlery. The food is not labelled and you cannot get near it.

The hotel allows locals in during the week as well as the weekend. Its over populated and not able to cope with the numbers. I have been made to feel like an outsider being English. Thomson really should pull out if this hotel as its not catered for UK residents.

I can go on with the faults, just read the other bad reviewd, its all truth. I'm actually writing this review with 2 days of my holiday left and I've attempted to get an early flight home however I can't. I've taken to eating out now with my wife as food time is so stressful.

Thomson I'm already drafting the complaint for compensation.

If your after a stressful, over populated resort with poor like warm food then this is for you. I come on holiday to relax. I feel like I need another holiday after this hellish experience.

Please take note of these reviews. I didn't and regret it massively.

• Stayed August 2014
8 Thank bozzie82
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was the worst hotel I had ever stayed at! PLEASE READ THIS... I have to admit I'm not one for reading reviews and I normally don't take any notice but I'd hate anybody to experience what we did!!!!!!!

Where do I start?...arrived and immediately required a room change as balcony door did not lock therefore we didn't feel safe. Staff we're extremely rude and laughed in our faces as they thought it wasn't an issue that it didn't lock. We then after persisting had a room change, this room had toe nails on the rug, hair on the floors, tiles were missing, dirty toilet, completely unfinished room. The first morning we had a welcome meeting and every single person that attended we heard complaining about the rooms etc. After 3 days we realised that the glass door panels out on to the balcony were too short for the door frame so we had a constant strip of air running in and out of our room, and the left panel also didn't lock. Also, after a few days of our stay, the hotel was full to its capacity, so it meant that you couldn't get a shower at peak time because there was no heat and no pressure on the showers, of which other guests had the same problem. I went down to reception to complain and was told to wait 2 hours when everyone else has finished getting showers which was a disgrace, so if the hotel is full they don't have sufficient showers to deal with this.

The restaurant area was absolutely disgusting in terms of food and cleanliness. Trying to find clean table to sit on was a chore, they opened large glass doors in restaurant which meant birds flew in and therefore there was bird poo ALL OVER the tables and chairs, which was NEVER EVER cleaned off, so we had to use our napkins t clean them beforehand. NOT ONCE did we see waiters with anti-bacterial spray, waiters were putting clean cutlery down on dirty placemats, trying to get a clean plate/glass was also a nightmare, they were obviously using a dishwasher which hardly cleaned them. Both of us were ill on numerous occasions by the food, the meat was regularly stone cold, they occasionally used no heating methods for the food on display. There was a lack of choice of food, which was not aimed at English people in the slightest. Hot food at breakfast was diabolical and did not change the whole 2 weeks we were there. Where the bread was laid on a table there were ants all over it. In the end we tried to eat out as much as we could afford to as it just became stressful.

Pool bar wasn't as bad although they regularly ran out of Heineken (which wasn't advertised that they had), vodka and wine. If you wanted good service from them if you had to tip them and that stood for all staff throughout the whole hotel. We were refused our drinks in glasses on numerous times despite others getting them in glasses, and that was because other people had tipped them and we hadn't. After refusing to leave the bar without a glass they finally gave us one. The pool area I have to say couldn't have really been faulted. The pool itself was fairly clean, the sun loungers were relatively easy to get hold of and the pool games which we're ran by the animation team were good. The only thing we found with the pool area was that the locals were allowed to come in on weekends and use the facilities so it was absolutely hounded by locals who took over the whole place!!! Something which was never told to us at point of booking. Also, there was a beach party for all the locals on what is called 'a private beach' where music was played very loudly till late. The locals also played in all of the pool games which just totally ruined it as they were really rough, I ended up with bruises all down my arms and therefor I didn't play again. Another annoying thing was that you couldn't order snacks you had to be lucky in catching the waiter walking to the pool bar with a plate of snacks which everyone then raced for. And more times than not all the locals that were allowed in would take plates and plates of food for there large families and there wouldn't be any left. The pool toilets were also affected by the locals coming in as they we're absolutely disgusting. Once there was poo all over the toilet seat which was there for over 4 hours and still hadn't been cleaned by anyone.

I have to say the entertainers/animation team were brilliant. They were all really lovely and the entertainment on an evening was really good and enjoyable. Just a shame they didn't change the programme every 2 weeks so you saw something different.

Thankfully our holiday rep was really helpful and we spent a lot of time with her filling out a complaints form and sickness forms,we managed to get some compensation but to be honest this was a tiny tiny amount considering how bad the hotel actually was. Apparently the hotel had only just been taken over by Thomsons so they were in the process of getting up to the British standard, but obviously this was not stated at point of booking.

Me and my partner had spent the last 2 years saving for a relaxing holiday and then to get there and to feel genuinely depressed the majority of the time because your unable to relax and unwind was just a complete and utter let down. If it wasn't for meeting some amazing people out there I would have caught the next plane home because it was honestly hand on heart that bad. But every English family there were in exactly the same boat. We didn't know any English family that hadn't complained about something. I WOULD NEVER EVER COME BACK HERE, NOT EVEN IF IT WAS A FREE HOLIDAY!!!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms hear the noise from the entertainment which runs on till 11pm. Our friends we met there fo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lowe93
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in July/August and thought it was a great hotel especially chosen for its beach location. The beach is absolutely beautiful with white sands and turquoise sea which is lovely and warm and clear. The hotel is very very clean and the rooms are cleaned dailiy and water replenished and kept cool In the fridge that is also in the room. The hotel is very nice and the staff work very hard long days. The entertainment staff are brilliant but as our daughter is older we did not experience everything they did.
We do however have a problem with the standard of food served here. The salads look very nice and tempting but are all covered with a lot of oil, right by the salads are various dressings and sauces, why not leave the oil off the salad? It makes a healthy meal calorific if it drenched in oil!. As for the rest of the food that also was swimming in oil and most of it was barely Luke warm. There is a lot of crusty bread but please be aware of ants crawling over it. The hotel food seems to please other nationalities except British people. The all inclusive deal is also not that good as stated in our holiday itinerary should have snacks throughout the day and ice cream . The only snacks we saw were the left overs from breakfast which are dry pastries. There are never enough cups or glasses to have a cold drink and many a time were presented with plastic party cups to drink out of. Also the bar within the hotel regularly changed its mind wether to charge you for drinks! Someone complained and the drinks were free again! On Friday Saturday and Sundays all the local people are allowed into the hotel on a day pass unfortunately this makes the pool area incredibly busy which is not good. We also tried the wok restaurant on the premises which allows for one reservation per visit it was by far the worst meal I have ever had in fact none of us ate it!
I do surmise however that we have no problem with this hotel they just have to do back to the drawing board on the quality of food they provide.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank mullencp
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I spent a week at palm beach hotel in July with a friend and I had such a great experience there. The hotel is right on the beach which is clean and the water is so beautiful. There are also plenty of activities to do. The hotel was clean and the room was a great size and a maid came in daily to replenish the bottles water and replace the used towels and bed sheets. The staff in the hotel were always friendly and the animation team were brilliant. They always had things to do and for people of all ages! They work extremely hard and extremely long hours and when their not entertaining around the pool they are rehearsing for the evening entertainment. I would really like to thank Hamido, Claude, Diego and the rest of the animation team for helping make this such a great holiday. Although as some have said the good was repetitive but there was always plenty to choose from including a salad bar aswell. There are plenty of sun loungers around so you're never stuck if you just want to laze by the pool. All in all I was very pleased with this holiday and I'm looking to return next year!

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank leyley93
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

For the last 2 years all hotels in Tunisia open their doors to non-residents on all August weekends (Friday, Saturday & Sunday). This is not the hotels choice, it is a government directive. We arrived on the 24th July and stayed for 2 weeks. The 1st weekend was lovely, as Ramadan had not finished. The 2nd weekend was chaos. The Palm Beach Club has a lovely beach bar, where you have to pay, it is not part of the all inclusive. I think this is the main attraction for non residents from Tunis and the surrounding area. They pay 50 dinars per family and can use the beach, pool and facilities (they have to pay for food). None of the other hotels in the surrounding area have this facility, so the Palm Beach is very popular. The staff don't like this and I'm not sure that Mr Faouzi (the hotel director) is entirely happy with the situation. He has worked very hard to improve the reputation of the hotel and he had many complaints after the 1st weekend. There was a beach party on the Friday night and the music was ridiculously loud. It was better on the Saturday and Sunday, but there were more non residents than residents. Every resident at the hotel was unhappy with the situation, even the Tunisian holiday makers. You pay for an all inclusive hotel, with a private beach, so that you do not have to share the facilities with non residents. The hotel are trying to address the issue, limit the numbers, give them some kind of ID tag, so you know who should be there and who shouldn't, get people to use ashtrays on the beach so that cigarette buts and beer bottle tops are not just left on the floor. I don't believe it was the hotels responosibilty to advise us of this, but Thomson's should have and I shall be making a complaint to them. I did complain to Lauren the Thomson rep, but she was very evasive and said it has always happened at resorts that she had worked in. I said that I had been to plenty of resorts in August and I had never encountered this. I also spoke to a lovely Norwegian family that had been holidaying in Hammamet for 14 years in August and they had never experienced it.
Now onto the good points and useful info, I'll keep it brief.
1. The beach is beautiful, the water is clear and the sand is lovely.
2. The staff are amazing. Very friendly and incredibly helpful. And as always, a little bit of civility goes a long way. Special thanks to waiter Bilel, beachman Morat, barman Ahmed and the beach restaurant chef, Chafrute (which was my little boys nickname by the staff). And a special mention to the young man on reception and the Spa staff (very helpful when my son was stung on the foot by a bee).
3. The animation team work very hard and all lovely. The mini disco is great and my son enjoyed it. We also nicknamed Anna his wife, as he liked her a lot. We never got to see any shows, as it was always too late, but they sounded fun.
4. The hotel director Mr Faouzi is always about, greeting people and listening to comments (good or bad). He even eats in the restaurant. And yes it did get busy at certain times, but the staff always tried to help.
5. I don't drink alcohol, just water and diet drinks. Diet drinks are not readily available in the all inclusive bars and they run out quickly. This is something the hotel is trying to address.
6. The staff are always cleaning, but it's a difficult job. The cleaning could be improved and sometimes the dinner plates were still dirty.
7. The food was varied and I always found something to eat.
8. There is a cash machine in the Le Sultan hotel, which is next to Palm Beach. Go out of reception, go through the right side exit and turn right. The hotel is more than happy to let you use this facility.
9. Le Sultan also has horse stables and the people that work there are great. They have a proper arena, safety hats and saddles. The horses are well looked after. My son was able to have his first ride on a horse there and he loved it. 35 dinar for 30 minutes. 80 dianr for 2 hours outside and on the beach.
10. When you go into Hammamet (medina or Yasmine), people will come up to you and say "Hello, do you remember me? I am the chef from the hotel." They are not and just politely tell them this and they will leave you alone.
11. If you go out of the hotel and turn right, there are 3 supermarkets, just a short walk away.
12. If you look after the staff, they will look after you. We always had our beds and table reserved at dinner.
13. The air con is free, the safety deposit box in your room is free and the maids leave a 1.5 bottle of water in your room everyday.
14. For what we paid, we were happy with the facilities, but we would not go in August again. I will be complaining to Thomsons about the lack of information, as I believe it is their responsibility to make people aware of the situation. None of the British residents at the hotel knew about the hotel being open to non residents at the weekend. Lauren, the Thomson rep, did tell me that she would mention is at the welcome meeting, but when I spoke to a couple that had been to the meeting, they said that she didn't mention anything. And telling people at the welcome meeting is too late, Thomson should advise people when they book a holiday in Tunisia in August.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family