“Expected more from this 4 Star Hotel”
Review of Hotel Dar Hayet

Hotel Dar Hayet
Ranked #106 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Although my room had a lovely sea view I had to put up with very load noise from a wedding pary fpr 2 days.The loud Tunisian wedding party noise went on until 4am. I love music but this wasn't even good. The breakfast room was a let down. It was on the second floor of the hotel. Walking up the stairs and passing wall paintings along the way I was let down by a dreary drab almost sparse looking breakfast room. It was a real let down.The breakfast food was just as bad. It was same thing every morning. No variety, It was very disappointing for a four star hotel. This hotel can be quite expensive depending what site you booked with. Luckily I picked up a good deal but that;s not the point. I had to ask each time for cutlery. No plates or bolided egges left?

The Receptionist had picked up the phone in the middle of me asking her a question without excusing herself. She didn't even realise what she did was very rude. Sometimes the Reception area was left unattended. The bar attendant carryed out a duel role. You had to locate her in order to get your key to your room.

The outdoor swimming pool was a no no. It was also out of service. There was a sign scribbled up along side the pool. No body ever used it anyway because it looked so unkept. So down to the beach, The beach was nice thankfully. I didn't find any litter as I had read in previous reviews. The sunbeds were free, That was a good thing but there was no staff there to assist you,. This hotel was a popular Russian destination. Don;t expect any lively or friendly conversations here. The bar restaurant was also a very disappointing part of this hotel. It was always empty., The Menu was outrageously overpriced and the staff were sitting down and not responding t your requests when you entered. Nobody seemed to be working. Apathy and tired, You couldn't get a coffee ther. The way was from the bar inside and that turned out to be overpriced cold. There ws nothing on the Menu that catered for children, Even French fries or tastfully done burgers would have been welcome.

Then there is the little outside tea house beside the swimming pool. It looked very cosy so I went inside to sample a glass of green tea. I sat on cushions but the masseuse from the next door salon thought she had a prospective customer. This was a little annoying and the guy inside there repeatly asked me was I okay. Even more annoying, A nice place to retreat but spoilt by the commerciality.

Occasionally the hotel staff were friendly though and one member obliged by fetching me a coffee from inside the hotel. The hotel decor was cold but nice. The seating was good and the layout attractive. There were some interesting features like the marble floors with nice touches here and there in this hotel,

My room had a fridge and the shower was adaquate. The wedding party all went home on the second day of my arrival thank God. There were fresh towels and sheets delivered every day, So there it had a few good points. I never saw the hotel manager or Duty Manager walking around, All in all this hotel although near the Madena and the town hasn't got any x factor. Its a pity becasue with a few changes here and there it could have been a better experience to stay there. Im glad I picked up a good deal as I would not have paid any more to have stayed here. Im sure it makes its money fron the Tunisian wedding parties but doent give enough care to the rest of us. Nice because its on the beach but really that about it.

Room Tip: Sea View........after the wedding has gone home that is............
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank McKensie7

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Had a lovely stay here recently, very friendly and helpful staff, small hotel in an excellent location just a short walk from Hammamet town. It has it's own private beach with free sunbeds and parasols. I would give it a 3 star rating overall, we got a really good deal in the price and it was worth every penny. Not as chic and upmarket as some of the hotels in Yasmine Hammamet but that was not what we were looking for - for friendly staff, great location and a small hotel it suited us perfectly, we will definitely stay here again.
There is no fitness centre or spa, however hammam and beauty treatments can be booked at another hotel nearby.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My friend and I chose this hotel for our vacation because it was among the cheapest ones available, so we didn't expect much and thus were not disappointed.
The place is pretty old and run-down; it probably used to be a fancy hotel twenty or so years ago. We had some problems with hot water, the toilet would keep gurgling for half an hour after use, and the air conditioner was so noisy that we had to keep it off and sleep with our verandah door open.
The cleanliness leaves much to be desired; most of the sheets and towels had stains on them, and the cleaner kept leaving only one set of towels for the two of us, so we had to go and ask for more towels at the reception every single day. Also, the stuff they mop the floors with smells terribly - we once returned to our room just after it was cleaned and had to retreat to the verandah immediately while keeping the door open, even though it meant we had to listen to the drone of the power generator somewhere in the garden.
The breakfast is miserable; we expected there would at least be some fresh fruit available besides watermelons. The bar and the restaurant are ridiculously overpriced.
One good thing about the hotel is that it has its own beach which is kept more or less clean; but there are beach parties on weekend nights, and the sound system they use is terrible - at some distance, it distorts the music to irritating low beats that can be heard everywhere.
Another redeeming quality to this hotel is its location - it's a short walk from the sea-front street in the town center where there are some nice restaurants and cafes that offer good service for relatively modest price.
The receptionists tried to be friendly and helpful - when they were there to be found, which wasn't often; at times, we'd have to wait for twenty minutes for anyone to appear there and give us our room key.
All in all, I cannot recommend this hotel, unless you travel on a very limited budget and prepare to all kinds of inconveniences.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kay_Kendzior
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed here for a week in August 2013 and wanted to come home. Please be aware that this hotel is also a night club with a sound system playing loud music day and night. The mattresses and sheets had blood and urine stains on them. Clean towels and toilet paper were difficult to get hold of. Bathrooms and rooms were dirty with leaking toilets and plastic shower attachments. Food was barely available and when it was poorly prepared with not enough cutlery and plates for everyone. Air condition did not work for the entire week we were there.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel, it's a disgrace.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michaela F
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Problems started from day 1. Disco on the beach. No hot water. After the 4th day ran out of food for breakfast. By the 7th day we were moved to another hotel still no hot water. Staff constantly lied to us about fixing the water problem. English expect better quality of service !!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gary W
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I was amazed by the view and the service's quality. Spending 3 days with some friends was the best idea we had last month. People were welcoming us and taking care of our comfort, that's what make us feel as at home and let us enjoy even more those short holidays.
And other important point, the restaurant almost in the beach, eating with this view was just perfect. It's true that the unique negative point is that the cleaner woke me up two times around noon, but it's my fault to sleep so much hahaha. For sure I will go back again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ahmedbaazie
Reviewed 12 May 2013

we stayed here aug/sept time 2012 just after ramadan.
my 10yr old and I could not get into our usuall favourite as we booked very last minute.
as we had driven past this hotel many times, thought it looked wonderfull in terms of old Tunisian style architecture and decided to stay here.
The Dar hayet is a beautifull and is a Traditional styled building. beautifull marble floors and furnished in similar style also.
The bedroom was very clean and had a great balcony overlooking the pool. The balcony,in my opinion, would not be good for unsupervised small children,as it was broken and looked a little low.
we had a fridge, but must have been fortunate,as not all guests had one in their rooms.
The pool area was run down compaired to photos online,on travel sites. it was also dirty when we initially used it, full of sand and hair from users running up from the beach at regular intervals.
i mentioned this to maintainance and it was cleaned more thoroughly going forward.
no sun loungers and the large bed style loungers had no matress. hugely dissapointing.
staff very courtious and polite at all times. will do anything to assist you.

we stayed b and b as were out and about seeing friends and family often but i found the beachside resteraunt a bit of a dump. very basic and full of sand etc.
the upstairs poolside pizza is great but is perhaps the most expensive we have had in Hammamet at 12 tdn for one neptune which is usually 7 tdn max.

water and wine also very expensive here!

wifi is good service at the hotel but is not free.

this hotel is directly accessed from the beach. great for couples or singles but not if you have kids. i saw some security there but do worry about such issues with a ten year old in tow for obvious reasons.anyone can come up from the beach up back steps if not watched all through night.

you can take this route and walk down to central hammamet,about ten mins walk.
amenities...lots of local shops via beach or road route. local supermarket in hammamet central is magazin general. it sells most things.pharmacy bank etc all local to this area.

warning! do not stay here just after Ramadan. it is wedding time for locals and the venue right next door,just divided by a small alleyway, hosts the wedding parties.....loud music,screaming,all night long,including drumming.
it is also full of honeymoon couples at this time, they occupy the beach also. loud rave type music with unchild friendly lyrics is often played.
please note,i love a good party and am not a prude in any way, shape or form, but its not for families with young kids as it goes on into small hours.

no lift access at all.not good for buggies or disabled people whatsoever.

Room Tip: pool view or sea view
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family