“Lovely Les Orangers”

The Orangers Beach Resort & Bungalows
Ranked #8 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Last visited this place about 12 years ago with late mum sisters and their young children,we loved it.Returned for Xmas with mt hubbie this time.The nicest thing was that it had not changed at all,i even recognised most of the staff and some remembered me!Even though it is now A/INC the food was good and plentiful and we were given a fabulous Xmas Eve Gala Dinner.The staff here are the best we have ever encountered and we have been around quite a bit.The hotel is now about 50 years old and like most of us needs a bit of a facelift!!! What she lacks in the wow factor she makes up for in everything else.Thank you and well done to all the many staff your employeres should be very proud of you.Give this little gem a whirl you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are hardly overlooked ,choose ground or first floor.Dd not pick rooms at front of hotel...
2  Thank Sharyn H
There are newer reviews for The Orangers Beach Resort & Bungalows

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I spent a week here with my boyfriend from 18th Dec to 25th.
We were so excited after reading the brilliant reviews that are on here.

Weather wise it was about 18 degrees so it was sunny but not too warm. The evenings are chilly so its easy to sleep.

The hotel itself is in decent shape and is clean throughout, the room was comfortable - I get LOADS of allergies so if the room had been dusty and unclean I would know, but it wasnt. I wasnt a big fan of the fact that it took the chambermaids up until 3pm to your room over - I like a nap before dinner when Im on holiday but this was difficult if you wanted your room cleaning.

The beach towels are lovely and soft and smelled really good.

On arrival we got freshly squeezed orange juice and a really yummy chocolate, we got a warm welcome and the porters are really helpful and will drag your cases everywhere for you. They also came to collect them on our day of departure. Some of them are little aswell so we felt they deserved a tip!

The beach restaurant where lunch was served was a really nice place to sit and have some food, watching the waves lapping at the sand - theres alot of cats, which is fine for me, I just wouldnt recommend touching them as my partner got some flea bites - there was ONE cat that I could not deal with, it was clearly really ill with rabies or something similar, it was DISGUSTING and every time I saw it it put me off my food so we eventually started sitting inside to avoid it.

The men selling tat on the beach wont approach you when security are there but be careful early in the morning or in the evening if you go to the beach cos theyll be all over you and they are really irritating. I told one to go away as he deliberately waited til I was about to take a photo then started getting in the way, and he took offence and called me a "cheeky bugger" but he did go away as he realised I wasnt going to buy his junk.

The food is plentiful and some of it was great however every single bit of fish I went near had a million bones poking out of it, which is unpleasant and could also be dangerous for children. I do really feel that there should be dietary and allergy information on the dishes and there just isnt - half of the time the food is incorrectly labelled "poultry cream soup" for example, and "mixed grill" which was actually a pile of liver and nothing else. Theres ALOT of nuts used in the baking so allergy info is something thats desperately lacking.

They make alot of effort with presentation and the desserts always look appealing and are worth a try.

On the breakfast spread there was a dish called "Omme Ali" which was like a breakfasty bread and butter pudding - hardly anyone touhed it but I did and it was YUMMY, but Im a fan of sweet breakfasts - there were waffles and pancakes made to order every morning along with cereals, pastries and a selection of meats.

The animation team clearly work very hard, from early morning to late at night, which I respect, however they got on my nerves a little as they dont know when to back off. I went on holiday to relax from my busy working life, and one of them actually called me lazy because I was laid by the pool - wether this was a joke or not it really got my back up, because how I choose to spend the holiday Ive paid for is none of their business. We even took certain routes to avoid them because as soon as they see you theyre on you.
We got involved in some of the activities, they had a game of bingo which was god fun, its impressive that the staff all speak five languages (Arabic, English, Italian, French, German) as everyone could get involved, they also did a cabaret night which was terrible, it was so tacky but if youre into that sort of thing you'd love it. There was a really cool poolside magic show for the kids on christmas eve which was really entertaining.
They do alot of stuff for kids and for adults and they seem to work alot of hours, so good on them, but they definitely need to learn to back off when people want some time to relax.

Hammamet itself it a dump, I have to be honest, political issues mean that people arent paying tax so the rubbish trucks arent collecting rubbish, so its just everywhere, the place is full of half built buildings and the area surrounding the hotel wasnt somewhere I was willing to go.
We got a taxi to the marina and it was very quiet because of the time of year, most places were closed even though it was saturday and we had all sorts of dodgy characters coming up to us pretending to know us from the hotel, saying they worked there, because they recognised our wristbands - we were warned about this and told them to get lost but they are really persistant and it becomes really unpleasant.

We didnt visit a medina because the thomas cook rep actually put us off. She said you need a "sense of humour" to visit there because you get hassled so much, and after the Marina experience I really didnt wanna go through it again, it might have been better if it was a busy, like it would be in summer, as there would be more people therefore the chances of you getting hassled would be slimmer, but because the place was so dead it just wasnt worth it.

The rep Ondine had alot of handy tips about the local area, shes lived there along time and knows what shes talking about.

The trips that you could book via the rep werent very appealing tp us, we did book one to what they called the biggest shopping centre in Tunisia, its in the capital, Tunis, and its a fixed price mall - it really wasnt worth it as nothing was cheaper than in the UK and the mall was absoluely tiny, to say it was suppose to be the buggest in the country it was a massive disappointment and everyone else who went on the trip complained they had been mis sold as they were under the impression it was more like a market - I didnt think that, I knew it was going to be a mall type affair but it seemes a common misconception amongst everyone else so they might have been misadvised.

The waiting staff honestly cant do enough for you, we tipped them between 5 and ten dinar every few days which is between 2 and 4 pounds, but youll get to know who you like and who really earns it - a few of the staff in the main reception at the bars have miserable faces all the time but mostly the staff are really lovely and friendly.

The reception staff are efficient and helpful, you cant really ask for any more from them.

Tipping is advisable - it isnt expected by the staff which is nice, but there greatful when you do tip them. You could spend a week in this hotel and not spend a single penny - I took 50 dinar out of a cash machine (£18) and I couldnt get rid of it, so the trip was a bargain.

The outdoor pool is lovely but was too chilly to use so we used the indoor one which was nice and warm. Theres also a gym and sauna and you can have a 15 min massage as part of your all inclusive package too, I didnt take advantage of this unfortunately.

I was really happy that there are washing machines and tumble dryers so you can keep on top of your washing - not everyone will wanna do this when theyre on holiday of course but I was glad to do it before we came home!

A word of warning about the porters in the airport - when you arrive dont let them take your bags from you - you wont have far to take them to your coach yourselves and they will demand money from you, theyre pretty rude and pushy, I wish Id known about them in advance

In all honesty Im not sure I would go back, but thats not because of any problems with the hotel or its staff or service, its more to do with the fact that I didnt like Hammamet, if the hotel and its staff were somewhere else Id probably go back in a heartbeat.

4  Thank deville1984
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed here 10 days May-June 13, Hotel Is Excellent, food is ALL Good, Staff Can't do enough for you, Entertainment Is Funny every night, Hotel has own beach -With security and NO=ONE Is allowed to approach you from beach.( Sellers cant be constant & a pain)

Room Tip: We were shown several rooms as the hotel was trying to upgrade us for a charge...but chose first roo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank MrMrsDallas
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We have just returned from a very excellent week in this hotel, The accommodation, facilities, staff where excellent and the dining far exceeded our expectations. Going in December we didn't expect the weather to be over warm but it was good during our stay and the staff around the pool area looked after us well, the grounds & gardens are wonderful and to be able to pick some fresh orange every day was an experience for me to enjoy. We had a sea view room which gave us a lovely extended balcony overlooking the bungalows and the beach area which is an added bonus to our stay. Would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view room.
7  Thank HonestHull
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Being a single traveller I was a little unsure of comming to this hotel, but after chatting to a lady on the site, who had visited the hotel earlier in the year I was soon put at ease. The flight was ok we were delayed going out which was not ideal, but having no choice made the best of a bad job. Transport was sorted once we arrived and we were transported to the hotel reasonably quickly. As we had arrived very late we were quickly checked in and taken to our rooms. I was pleasently suprised, the room was spacious very clean and well set out and had everything that you could want. Tea/Coffee making facilities, a small fridge and dressing gowns and slippers were all there for the use of guests. The bed was one of the most comfortable I had slept in abroad and there were extra pillows and a blanket, should you need them.
We were advised that the welcome meeting would be the following day, and were met by Ondine who was a great lady and knew everything that needed to be known. There was no hard sell and we were advised of the best things to do whllst in Tunisia. She also advised on currency, the hotel and safety points, and living locally where to go shopping best bargins and what not to do! The hotel itself was great, the food was good, my only comment on this is that things are too spread out so by the time you have got your meat/fish, and then queued again for salad/veg the meat/fish has gone cold! this does need addressing but there is a microwave so food can be heated up. The specialist restaurants are great and well worth a visit I have never seen cray fish so large, and must admit that I had a vey full stomach that night with the amount of food supplied. The pool is very nice, there were always plenty of sunbeds, the pool man was always on hand to get you a matress for the sunbeds and the drinks waiters would get you whatever drink you wanted and soon knew what your usual tipple was, and a few dinars every few days really helped and was only pence to us but mattered greatly to them. No, tipping is not compulsory but these guys work tirelessly and always with a smile and it helps them if you tip them a little every few days. The safety deposit boxes are behind reception in both buildings but gaining access to them was never a problem. The massage on the beach was lovely altho I did not have any reaction from the feet fish! The beach is lovely and again there is plenty of space. Pool towels can be obtained from the towel shop and changed as often/little as you deem necessary.I had a couple of small problems in my room, reported them on my way to dinner and by the time I got back to my room the problems had been sorted. I don't go back to a hotel twice as there are always so many places to see, but I enjoyed this place so much that I have already booked to go back in 2014. The staff and management treat you as part of the family and want you to enjoy your stay. If you have a problem report it, they cannot sort problems out if people say nothing and then come back to the UK and complain. This is a little gem of a hotel and I look forward greatly to my next visit and seeing people who worked there this year. A final say must go to the animation team especially CoCo who made me laugh every day, keep doing what you do guys you are fab and put so much effort into all that you do. A hotel that really has the guests at the centre of all that it does.

Room Tip: all rooms are good and spacious
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
12  Thank lynnette5
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Driving to this hotel is interesting as you see run down houses and shops and then at the end of a long narrow drive is a little bit of heaven! We were greeted with a cold towel and a fruit cocktail and then shown to our room which was perfectly adequate and clean.
We made our way through the complex to the beach where your sun loungers are brought to you and you can eat and drink your way through the day. The choice at the beach restaurant with the wok and pizza was brilliant. In the main restaurant, there is a wide choice of great food - one night we even had sushi! There are 3 a la carte restaurants which were all full and very nice. The staff are incredibly friendly and cannot do enough for you.
If you are a looking for a holiday where you intend to do nothing but relax, this is the holiday for you, you will not be disappointed. I am planning to return next year.

Room Tip: Would try for a sea view room or beach bungalow if your funds stretch to it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lipsty79
Reviewed 21 November 2013

we chose this location after viewing reviews on trip advisor we had a friendly welcome on arrival we was shown to are rooms they where very clean and comfy the staff where all friendly and helpful the food was excellent plenty of variety the entertainment crew went out of there way to make you feel wanted the maids did not understand what we said but kept our room spotless we never venture very far from the resort as we had everything we needed there.
It was my birthday and the rep arranged for me to have a meal in the beach restaurant when we arrived she had only booked it for 2 we where a party of six so i said not to worry we would go to the main restaurant they asked us to wait then they came back and said it was ok they rearranged tables to fit us all in they had sorted food for the two but then managed to get extra sorted i was presented with a bouquet of flowers we where served champagne and presented with a birthday cake i have never had a meal so tasty it was excellent i could not of wished for a better birthday we will definatley be going back again

Room Tip: we stayed in the rooms near to the beach so when you open the curtains in the morning you can see ca...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family