The Orangers Beach Resort & Bungalows
US$167
  • Beachfront
Hotel Diar Lemdina(Hammamet)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$68
Hotels.com
Saphir Palace & Spa(Hammamet)(Great Value!)
US$63
US$96
Le Zenith Hotel(Hammamet)
US$55
  • Pool
Lella Baya & Thalasso Hotel(Hammamet)(Great Value!)
US$172
US$76
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Club President(Hammamet)(Great Value!)
US$36
US$34
  • Pool
Golden Tulip Taj Sultan Resort(Hammamet)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$98
Hotel Menara(Hammamet)(Great Value!)
US$20
US$18
2,107 results
All reviewsles orangersbeach restaurantles orangesfree massagepizzajasmine barfish pedicurestandard roomanimation teammain restaurantindoor poolstir frythomas cookhour barsea viewhorse ridingwaiter service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My first trip to Tunisa, we arrived at a very modern airport and traveled to the hotel via coach plenty of people to help with luggage for a pound or two. The entrance to the hotel is a little worrying but do not be put off that's just building going on next door that did not generate any sound or dust while I was there. While booking in we were sat down with a refreshing glass of orange juice (freshly squeezed ). Then helped to our room the cleaning staff were still working when we arrived so I know the floor was freshly cleaned.
The room was basic but very nice with a TV, hairdryer and kettle. There was no room safe in our room so we used the safe deposit boxes at reception which you have 24hr access to once you have obtained a key. Our room had a connecting door to next door good if you are in large group but noise can carry through.
The hotel complex is relatively small but offers a wide range of activities an outdoor and indoor pool also a small paddling pool. A gym with weights in both pounds and kilos in addition to a couple of tread mills, cycle etc (you need to get the key from the attendant for these).
There are several bars but only one which is open 24hrs (please note this is a smoking bar).
The greatest strength of the hotel is its staff for a tip here and there they will go out of there way to help you in any way they can.
We are looking to go back in October and try some of the local trips.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dickiemint99
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed at Les Orangers from 6th – 20th April and travelled with my 9 year old son, my friend & her son. I flew with Thomas Cook from Gatwick.

The good points

Enfidha airport was quick and efficient, however, there was a mix up with the luggage belts and we were travelling from one belt to another – this is always the sticking point and it took over an hour to get our cases! Having landed at 9.30am, we finally got to the hotel at around midday!

Food was excellent and of good quality, and a good variety to boot. Too many delicious desserts to eat – my waistline having expanded considerably whilst there! However, there didn’t seem to be a huge variety of different fruits available, which was a little disappointing.

Bar service was mostly good (around the pool), however, it did get slower in the evenings (with drinks being forgotten/mixed up). I also found the spirit measures far too big (but then again, some people preferred them strong)! Some evenings the strength was so bad, felt I could take my toenail varnish off with it!!

Most of our lunches were at the Beach Restaurant, but occasionally we had snacks from the pool side café. Most was good, but I did have a slightly “raw” burger from the pool café, which I didn’t finish (although there was no tummy trouble afterwards). We didn’t try anything from the Jasmine Bar, as we weren’t up late enough to sample what was on offer after the restaurants closed.

Cleanliness of the hotel (especially the toilets-never running out of toilet paper!) was immaculate.

Service was good – most waiting staff seemed genuine however, there were a few who seemed false.

Reception staff were very helpful and polite and we were always greeted with a smile.

Animation Team were friendly (but no overly so) and tried to encourage you to take part in their activities, but were not pushy.

Weather was fantastic – topping 27 degrees on the last Saturday. We had about 20 minutes of drizzle one evening, but it was sunny most of the days. There was a lovely cool breeze which helped take the sting out of the heat.

Grounds were kept clean & tidy, with beautiful flora & fauna. The grounds are not massive, but nicely spread out between the different buildings.

There are quite a lot of cats around (not a problem for us, as we love them), but I can see it being a problem for some holiday makers. They are well looked after (mostly from holidaymakers smuggling food out of the restaurants for them) – but please, stop giving them cheese & milk – as much as they love it, it’s terrible for their stomachs!!! Stick to feeding them cold/cooked meats & filing up a bowl with bottled water.

As I’ve been to Tunisia on many occasions, and this being my friend and her son’s first trip, I recommended the 2 day Sahara Trip. HOWEVER, the tour does not cover the Star Wars set – this is off the menu at the moment due to some of the set being buried under sand drifts. We did not find this out until we were on the coach! It does, however, cover the canyons where The English Patient was filmed, and the views from here were stunning. This trip was the highlight of our holiday. We spoke to the Thomas Cook Rep after to advise not to sell it as the “Star Wars” trip as we felt slightly cheated.

Taxis are cheap and plentiful (usually)! We made the mistake of heading towards Yasmine Medina one evening, but it was dead. We were told that it’s the Easter Weekend that it opens up properly.

If heading to the old Medina in Hammamet, make sure you visit the Fort (7 Dinars per person). There are fabulous panoramic views from the top of the fort. Well worth the money.

Haggle hard in all the shops. I’m pretty good at it, but still felt cheated once goods were purchased!! The pressure is on, but if you feel uncomfortable, walk away.

Maher, the Thomas Cook Rep, was great, and always did his best to resolve issues/give information etc. He was a true gentleman and always had a smile on his face. A real credit to Thomas Cook.

We met some lovely people whilst there, and our thanks go out to Joe & his family 1) for him organising the meal for the “select few” and 2) for inviting us in the first place! I’d also like to thank all the waiters that night who helped it run smoothly! The presentation was lovely.

The not so good

Tables in the restaurants were not cleared away quick enough for new diners, thus a lot of standing around waiting for tables to be re-laid.

The main restaurant is only open from 6.30pm – 9.00pm – which we feel, when it is busy, isn’t open late enough. Perhaps it is extended in the summer months.

Our bedroom was very basic, but clean. A full length mirror would have been appreciated though. Our view was of the tennis courts & building site (a new hotel being built next door), but couldn’t be bothered with moving – just wanted to unpack and chill out!

The shower temperature was very hit and miss – seemed to be plumbed incorrectly because when you moved the tap towards the “cold”, the water pressure dropped considerably (rather than increase as more cold is mixed in with the hot), and at times, the water became boiling hot. I spent many a time experimenting with the mixer tap to get the temperature just right, but never found a comfortable temperature for long!

Outdoor pool was freezing – only managed to get in it once (and even then no longer than 5 minutes before cramp set in). I never once saw the pool cleaned, skimmed or the bottom vacuumed (and I was up early every morning). There was quite a bit of sand/grit & surface scum (from sun-creams/oils) in some corners. Not great.

Wooden sunbeds & mattresses by the outside pool were very uncomfortable – it was like sleeping on concrete. I asked if one of the plastic sunbeds & foam mattresses could be brought around for me, but was told no! Hence, we spent most of the time on the beach, where the plastic loungers were far more comfortable.

Indoor pool was nice and warm for the kids, however, got very hot in there due to the glass roof. Shame the roof didn’t retract as it’s such a waste swimming indoors during beautiful sunny weather!

Evening entertainment – well, what can we say! Not great by a long shot, however, the kids seemed to enjoy it! To be honest, I’ve seen similar shows at neighbouring hotels and it gets quite monotonous (this type of slapstick / dancing entertainment seems to be the norm in Tunisia - I think the hotels actually buy into an “Entertainment Package” as it all seems so familiar)! It didn’t help, however, that the evenings were quite cold (worse than last year) so we spent most of the evenings inside.

There are a couple of shops outside the hotel, but the streets aren't particularly nice to walk along. However, it's just a short taxi ride to either the old town or new town.

The downright bloody awful

NEIGHBOURS FROM HELL: Noisy neighbours – from the moment we arrived, to the day we departed. They were totally oblivious to the amount of noise they made (especially in the early hours of the morning when they came in from their night out). Doors slamming, shouting, arguments – it was never ending. This put a real downer on the holiday.

However, there was the comfort knowing that they were woken up at 7.30am every morning with the building works commencing next door!

Maher, our Thomas Cook Rep, had a “quiet word” with the family concerned, and it settled down a little, but not much.

There is a noisy echo in the corridors and the bedroom doors didn’t seem to shut quietly, although we did our best to ensure we made as little noise a possible. Perhaps the hotel could look into this matter?

Summary

Les Orangers is great value for money. Lovely people, good food, great weather and lovely beach. What more do you want to recharge your batteries? I only marked down the sleep quality because of the noise in the corridors.

Would I go back? Yes – but perhaps in October when the pool / sea has had all summer to heat up a little!! However, if I can afford it, I’d go for a sea view room above the 2nd reception.

Room Tip: Rooms above 2nd reception have the sea views - but get a high floor or view will be obstructed by bungalows.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank LeanneLewis
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Everything has been said on previous reviews which are truly justified. A gem of a hotel in an otherwise poor country. Pleasantly warm in late April but a bit chilly some nights. Staff very friendly (do give them a 1 dinar tip (26p) ever so often as they all deserve it .
We had a day trip to Tunis and Cartage well worth going to see and hear about the history. Our bus courier very good. Rooms large we had a double bed that could sleep 4! Rooms a little dated but who stays in the room all the holiday. Choice of food really good and all fresh, and those strawberries morning noon dinner and night something to die for.Animation team do a good job and work hard .Extensive gardens provide plenty of shaded places to relax with your drinks etc Met some nice friendly people. Would definitely go back.
Only downside the surrounding area very run down so did not venture from the hotel very much.

Room Tip: A bungalow or sea facing view are good but have to pay a small supplement
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CountyDurhamPeter
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We would like to commend the restaurant manager, Walid, and his staff for going to such extremes due to their willingness to understand the dietary requirements for grain intolerance, making our holiday one that we will always remember. The head waiter was a shining example to his staff, which obviously came down from the restaurant director, Mr Hassen, who took a personal interest in our stay.
The rest of the staff in other areas of the hotel were also as courteous, efficient and helpful.

Room Tip: Book through Thomson for a sea view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Terry H
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Arrived on 13th April to lovely smiling faces, and a nice cool drink, our room was allocated in the 2nd reception block, 1021 a lovely ground floor room with views of the beach and gardens, again room was spacious and cleaned daily. Spent our time between the beach and its lovely restaurant, and the pool area which is spotless. The staff as usual were very attentative and always had a smile on their faces. Food was out of this world with plenty of choice for even the picky eater. Plenty of choices for drinks which were replenished before you knew it.
The animation team were a lot of fun and encouraged you to join in, but were quite happy to let you just sun yourself. My grandson went to the kids club and enjoyed it, although it was mostly younger children, but they were very well looked after by the girls.

We had a fantastic dinner down at the beach and i have to say well done to the waiters who waited on us hand a foot you are a credit to the hotel.

The staff and management at this hotel are what makes it so good, nothing is to much trouble for them, so a big thank you for looking after us.

Will we return, you bet we will, already looking at October.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family