“Rude staff”

Ranked #85 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Cumbria
“Rude staff”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We had been warned that the staff were surly - that was an understatement. There were 3 or 4 people who tried hard and provided a good service but the rest were downright rude. The location of the hotel was perfect, right on a gorgeous beach, but the staff ruined it for us. My sister and I were given rooms next door with a shared balcony but one of these was very dark and had 3 beds in it. We were eventually moved but it took a lot of sorting out.
The food was ok but the restaurant staff were unhelpful and disinterested. The only people who made an effort were the waiter at the pool bar, the guy on the beach, the lady behind reception and one of the porters. None of them wear badges so it is impossible to identify them.
When we came to leave (pick up at 20.20) we asked for a room to shower in. They gave us the key to what can only be described as a cupboard full of mattresses which was filfthy. We were not impressed and will not be returning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank CocoCumbria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I am open minded and enjoy experiencing new places and cultures but nothing prepared me for the holiday I have just had.

The coach journey to the hotel left everyone in stunned silence as we passed street after street of rubble, rubbish and grotty looking cafe's of course this is nothing like the pictures in the Thomas Cook brochure. Optimist that I am I still held out hope that the hotel would live up to the hype and my first impression was the hotel was dated but seemed ok and then we were taken to our room! Which we had been told was the best in the hotel (no I didn't fall for that but boy if ours was the best, I would of hated to see the others)

The bathroom and toilet floors were full of cracked tiles, the flush leaked down the wall onto the floor, the beds were cracked and broken and the food stains on the dressing table were there before we arrived and I'm sure are still there today.

On arrival I had to wipe out the wardrobe out as they were dirty and we didn't want to put our clothes in them, just what you want at 3am!

I can't describe the smell in the corridor outside our room but I am convinced there was a sewerage leak.

The food was awful, over cooked and cold and often covered in flies, oh god the flies!!

Out the front of the hotel was dirty with rubbish everywhere and dangerous as there were building materials all over the pavement along with bins full of rubbish and lots of litter.

The beach was full of cigarette nubs, broken glass and tiles lined the shore line and to top it off a holiday maker with 2 dogs allowed them to poo on the sand and didn't clear it up. And again so many flies that it became harassing as you were constantly swatting them away.

On this holiday I took a total of 6 photos and most of them were to show family how grim it was and they should feel lucky they aren't scratch and sniff pictures.

If you haven't booked up then reconsider where you want to go and if you have then take plenty to read and lower your expectations so you won't be too disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Libsta69

Travellers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Reviewed 20 September 2013

I am just back from this hotel (18/09/13 was my leaving date) and I have never been more glad. It is filthy everywhere. We got taken to our room and had to wait for a while til the staff member had to run back down to reception to get another key as the door wouldn't open.. We walked in and it was filthy! The fridge was yellow inside and was leaking everywhere.. The door handle fell off for the balcony, I couldn't bring myself to sleep user the covers! The air con was broken also. We got changed rooms and it was a little better. Still filthy with mould in the shower and the bath would leak and flood the floor! Our bed sheets didn't get changed every day either. The hotel it's self had a foul smell, Everytime I walked into the restaurant I felt sick with the smell! If you're British you will hate the food. There is next to nothing to eat which is 'normal' or even at least nice! I'm not very fussy with food and neither is my boyfriend and we both struggled A LOT to find something we liked. Even at breakfast the bread was stale and the milk for cereal was warm. They served hotdogs and chickpeas for breakfast.. Eggs tht were grey. I can't even begin to describe what dinner was like! It was just awful! And if you have kids... Ice cream is probably what they would live off.. There is nothing there that kids would enjoy!! Worst experience I have ever had on holiday. Please, DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL! Your holiday will be reuined. 5 stars? Maybe one day but it isn't even worth a star in my opinion!! I am not a fussy person at all and would have settled for a mediocre room even a mediocre hotel.. But this is a very very poor hotel, and I would not recommend it to anyone's (be wise, find somewhere else!)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Tayler3
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We arrived the early hours of the morning after waiting to be shown to our room 2310 the porter said it's the best room in the hotel tiles broken on the floor of the toilet bathroom and bedroom . When you flushed the toilet water ran down the wall from the flush button the electric plug in the bathroom for shavers was hanging out the wall . The beds was all cracked and chunks missing out of them the socket for the telephone was hanging out the wall . The hole room need a good clean .food was awful only thing we really eat was breakfast then eat out . The waiters was rude . The beach was dirty full of cigarette ends either end of the small beach was filled with breeze blocks and old tiles . Every where you go their is a mass of flys . Worst hotel I have ever stayed at

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

well where to start i honestly do not rate this hotel very highly... i had been warned on Tunisia but felt its one of those things you have to experience for yourself

so the first day we arrived early hours of the morn we were greeted by the baggage handlers who pull your suitcase from the from of airport door to coach and then expect a tip
this is fine as i am sure the min wage is nothing compared to ours here so every little helps, would have been nice to be warned about it tho as they expect a fiver (not impressed when you have a few lose coins change for them... was not parting with a 20)

you then get to hotel where you are given your room keys a drink of orange which is welcomed after all the travel and another bell boy to take your suitcase to your room
the staff expected us to wait while he showed another tourist to their room but at such times in the morn we just wanted to get into bed (remember to tip this man all so)

we woke up to a bit of cloud but were excited about our holiday, as the day went on and the sun come out we thought this is great... we had enjoyed a fab brecky of omelets and crepes
breakfast was plenty full with something for every1

on our 2nd morn i woke with 2 nasty bites on my leg.. that's fine mosquito's fine me tasty in every country i go to

day 3 after a few days of making the most of the food at hotel and snack restaurant i found myself with sickness and diarrhea like i have never experienced... decided to play it safe and not eat except toast and hoped that i would be fine by the next day (how wrong was i)
the next day i took myself along to the pharmacy and got a few bits and bobs for it, i was going to let this ruin my holiday

i was told by the next day i would be back to normal... we decided to stay around the hotel close to the loo as u do and my partner stayed eating in hotel
this night he fell asleep early and was shivering but burning up, a few hours later and he was very sick all night long

i went down to reception in the morn to ask if maybe any other guest had come down with anything and the answer i got from the lady was yes but not from the same thing (hang on i had not told her any symptoms or anything in particular about what was wrong with us so what made her an expert all of a sudden ?

having discussed this further with her i was simply told it was not from the hotel but must be from outside running through everything to did we check date on our bottled water.... erm well no we did not check the date of the bottled water the staff in her hotel had gave us.. so still would be something from inside the hotel

this was all brushed aside she did not ask my room number any details from us or about our illness so there is no record of the guest who get sick... convenient that really especially seeing as she had let it slip other people were ill from the hotel (how would they know if any outbreak was happening in the hotel)

all in all i spent the last 4 days of my holiday not right, 2 days a prisoner in my room through sickness.... it completely ruined my holiday
but thank god for a small mercy of gianno geleto cafe just to the right outside hotel... in the last 4 days when we did manage to eat this is where we did
the food was lovely well priced and as soon as we stopped eating at the hotel completely and ate here we felt the benefits

last thing to add make sure u tip your hotel waiter well as if u tip him what he feels is not enough then be sure enough to find that the next day he will look at you sat eating and not even bother to offer you a drink with you meal... completely ignored!

i found her rude as dismissive and feel that the hotel know that the hygiene standards are not up to scratch in this hotel... i would recommend every1 to stay well clear of this hotel

unless u do not mind the awful smell especially around the pool but kids splash bit rude staff the cats shitting underneath the sun loungers on the beach and covering it up with sand (beware to mind your step)

1 Thank madsleo
Mitcham, Surrey, UK
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I have never before written a review.
This is our 3rd time staying at Royal Azur. Cannot fault the hotel or rooms, staff always very helpful.
This year we were dissapointed with the beach which was not clean had to watch where you put your feet due to lots of rubbish, broken glass etc in previous years the beach was always kept very clean. Also, locals are allowed to come in and make use of the pool and the weekends are a nightmare as you cannot get a sunbed. Which is very unfair if you have paid to have a holiday.
Weekends in the restaurant was chaos as the local people were given preferential treatment.

Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We're fairly easy going travellers and have often looked past shabby decor or a dodgy meal, but we've just arrived home following a really disappointing weeks stay at the Royal Azur.

In particular, I've never experienced such rude staff than at the Royal Azur. From 'what do you want' when asking for some help from reception, to staff laughing at my face when I told them I'd lost my mobile phone. Genuinely shocking customer service throughout our entire stay (which interestingly wasn't the case for the many local Tunisians who were staying there who were warmly welcomed it seemed).

The food was ok, quantity rather than quality seemed to be Royal Azur's style though. On the plus side, our room was large and clean.

Overall, it felt like Royal Azur is long past it's heyday but it wouldn't be a tragedy if it goes the same way as the hotels around it and shuts up shop for good

1 Thank 62TimW