“By Far The Worst Hotel Ever !!!!”

Sol Azur Beach Hotel
Ranked #77 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
Tunis, Tunisia
“By Far The Worst Hotel Ever !!!!”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Oh My God....I was really disappointed, this is by far the worst 4 star hotel in Hammamet .
Horrible and rude staff, we waited like 2 hours to get our room and what a room, soooo dirty that i was about to cry, you can see the pictures that i uploaded .
the so called ALL INCLUSIVE, yeah right the same boring food everyday .
Dirty rooms still with old fashioned tvs and frigdes,old beds and towels, room doors never work so many times got stuck.
The only Good thing about this hotel is the beach, really clean and we enjoyed it a lot .

Room Tip: they are all the same, avoid this hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Wiem Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I ll be straightforward: 1) bad things: old and in need of refurbishment, grumpy and greedy staff happy only when tipped, full of coakroaches and small lizards, same boring food everyday, rubbish disgusting soft drinks, bathroom smells, the area and hotel are deserted of tourist only locals there, full of kids and very crowded, very basic rooms still with old fashioned tvs and frigdes, room doors never work so many times got stuck, elevator keeps breaking. 2) Good thing: nice weather, nice beach, met nice people there (common talk the state of the hotel).

Room Tip: Honestly avoid it
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Farah F

Travellers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was a bit anxious after reading some reviews of this hotel, words like 'dated' and 'dirty', being used. Thought that this would ruin my so looked forward to holiday.
We arrived in the dead if night so was no one around but porter took our bags straight away and was up there before we were. We had a twin room so separate beds for the first night, but room was spotless, yes it IS dated, but I wasn't disappointed in the facilties. It seems a shame and a waste that it feels in need of a little tlc, would be so beautiful with some love.
Food was excellent, so much choice for all three meal times, and pizzeria for mid afternoon snacks. There are a lot of facilities that aren't in use, late bar/club casino and gym, no entertainment in evenings either but that didn't bother us. We were perfectly happy playing cards in the bar ;)
Service was second to non, we had such an attentive waiter that looked after us so well, even made up our dinner table on our last night with special flower arrangement, made fuss of the kids and kept beers flowing all day.
The hotel was so quiet the most people we had there all week was 50 max, if you want a lively holiday this definitely isn't for you, but there are things to do a short taxi ride away if you want some action. We had no complaints bout the Sol Azure and would certainly return. Please don't let any reviews on here dissuade you! She's a hidden, if elderly gem!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank badgirl78
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel was really sold to me. However my expectations were not met. I was under the impression the hotel had slides, indoor pools etc. I was later told there were not, and there was a 35 Dinar a day charge to use the facilities. When I checked this with a lady at Thomas Cook she reassured me that it was in fact free and the hotel staff had tried to wrongly charge me.
My hotel room was very dated and there were visible cracks going straight through the bed. As for the quality of the food I asked the staff for vegetarian options during my stay. I was aware of the culture and knew vegetarian options would be limited however I did not appreciate pieces of chicken bones in the potatoes I was eating.
In the end I decided to transfer hotels because hotel lobby started to smell like eggs due to sewage problems.
An accumulation of small avoidable problems ruined my time there. Thomas Cook should not be sending people to this hotel. Thomas Cook is currently being sued for the service a customer received in this hotel. Not good enough.

Room Tip: Don' bother with this hotel in general.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank jessica e
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We arrived 18th June to find that 2 of the advertised snack bars had been turned into a carpet shop! And gift shop the other snack bars only had pizza or pancakes on offer. The restaurant in evening was a good size however the food only Luke warm, meat dishes uninviting as all casserole type in oily gravy. Breakfast was a free for all as in a much smaller restaurant bread stale scrambled egg swimming in water, tiny pieces of chopped up bacon swimming in oil, cooked omelette to order but raw in the middle. Tunisian women pushed English women out of the way
But were more respectable to the men. The entertainment was non existent, they had guests dancing on the stage and karaoke only. We were moved after 3days as guests becoming Ill with vomiting. We ensured on our last night that we ate no meat but my daughter started vomiting at 10pm which lasted 3 days we are sure it was the rice as we all ate the same except rice. Although our room appeared clean at first when she sat on the floor vomiting into the toilet she saw diarrhoea splashed round the top of the toilet pan (not from us as no one had that problem). The hotel is lovely and close to the beach but outside there are no shops etc to visit and it felt very scary and unsafe. The hotel had certain hours to change up English money but didn't stick to the times and when did open had no money. WiFi is non existent although advertised in brochure. This is not 4 star as advertised sadly and in Sept Thomas Cook are withdraw in from hotel -,14 out of 20 were moved in the 3 day period we were there and when we got home Thomas Cook admitted pulling out due to vomiting yet still sending guests there - sorry if you have booked and are excited to go but felt needed to warn you and give truthful account - contact Thomas Cook and enquire about the situation there and see if they can rearrange your holiday and don't suffer like we did - we have never complained about a holiday before and this is a truthful honest account of our disaster.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Caroline S
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have spent many holidays at this hotel, and can with honesty say I have never witnessed any of the things mentioned in some of these reviews. The hotel may be a little dated and could do with a re-firb, but every room I have stayed in as always been cleaned very well, the staff are always friendly apart from a couple, the food is very good with lot's of choices, I myself don't eat hot meat in sauces but I could always find something to eat, I would recommend the soups and fresh bread and the sweet's. As for the pool Fethi and Seif were out every day cleaning the pool but they were having problems with the palm tree's on the island dropping seeds in the pool , this was sorted out while I was there, they got a man to climb the trees and cut away all the dead leaves and hanging seed branches so the pool returned to it's beautiful state once again.The hotel staff are like one big family and most speak really good English, The Director manager is always available if you have any problems ask at reception and he will come and see you and try his best to sort things out. I would also like to thank them for the wonderful birthday surprise, Cake and Champagne it really made my birthday special. Will I go back to the Sol Azur YES. The only downfall to this holiday was the fact that Thomas Cook took their rep out of the hotel and did not even bother to tell any of the guest's, new guests that arrived did not get any sort of welcome meeting but because I have been going to Tunisia for many years I was able to help and advise them and explain the money to them. I have been in contact with Thomas Cook and I am awaiting their reply.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor are better, but if your not happy speak to reception and they will try th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Gloria C
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have just retuned from a week at The Sol Azure Beach. This hotel has many problems but in summary: the hotel is looking tired and needs a major refurbishment; lobby stinks of smoke and furniture has rips and cigarette burns. There are broken / loose tiles under carpets in corridors and around the swimming pool. The rooms in the main hotel are in need of a major make over, the two rooms we were offered were dirty and had broken furniture. We were eventually offered a bungalow at the front. The appearance was good, with a lovely sea view and stone throw from the beach but it had problems with the pluming. The beach towels were like large tea towels so recommend you take your own. On the plus, the hotel was only about 20% full so no problem getting a sun bed or queues at the bar, ‘probably tells you a story’ The food was always hot, but very limited selection. The A- la-carte is worth a visit, food is tasty but not large portions. No problem with stomach bugs. The staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the barman on the beach, brought you a ‘coffee’ on the hour. Tipping a couple of Dinar every now and again goes along way. The beach is nice, soft sand and water sports near by. The pool was clean and well maintained. There is not much outside the hotel, just a few shops, so a taxi is recommended to go into Medina or Yasmine Hammamet. During our last few days there were very few new arrivals so the place was like a ghost hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple