“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
shrewsbury
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

First impressions are of a lovely hotel, and it is, however the usual fiasco of a missed dinner due to an hour wait on the coach at the airport then an hour long journey, so the dining room was closed and no meals were available for the 10 arrivals. This hotel advertises in its information booklet that late, cold suppers will be provided if ordered in advance. Thompsons are missing a trick here - could the rep not just order enough for the number of arrivals??
Having got that of my chest (sorry it happened last year too) the holiday was really good. Our room was large, clean and had a sea-view, it was also moderately quiet (compared to Marhaba Palace last year). The meals were also good and varied, obviously some things better than others but personal taste may account for this. The animation team were visible but not all the activities were available and it was neccessary to search them out on occasions as activities advertised failed to appear. The evening shows struggled to be average in my opinion but many people seemed to enjoy them.. The gym was very poor as both execise bikes were faulty and had been for some time, no treadmill and also a drinking fountain in the gym was not even connected to a water supply.
The two swimming pools were very good, the indoor one which I used a lot had a temperature variation every day but nevertheless, nice. The staff were, without exception very helpful, polite and hardworking. I would visit Marco Polo again :)

Room Tip: We were on the upper floor and had hardly any noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank emilymary99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have stayed here 4 times now with various family members and have always found the food and entertainment just how we like it
Excellent rooms, lovely atmosphere, trying to book again now for next summer

Room Tip: Some have two individual bathrooms - so useful on a busy family holiday
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dhelley
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Marco polo 3rd-17th November, travelling as a young couple this hotel was perfect, as soon as we arrived at the airport we got greeted by the first choice reps who showed us what coach to get on and how much to tip the porters. The porters grab you're bags without you even saying anything but this is how the men are in Tunisia, very pushy country! However you only tip them £1, its about a 45-50 minute transfer to the hotel.

As soon as we got to the hotel we left our cases out the front and the hotel staff sorted all of them. We all went in to the entertainment bar for a welcome meeting and a fruit drink (no alcohol!) We got given our keys and towel cards which you just swap at reception everytime you need new towels.

The double beds are just 2 singles pushed together so we asked to switch rooms for a proper double bed! This was no problem and Mohammed from front desk was happy to move us, he was so helpful throughout our stay. We had 2 reps we had adie for four days then his season had ended so he got replaced by tammie, she was very helpful and always asking us how our holiday was going, lovely person :)

The food was very repetitive and dull, I am a very fussy vegetarian and just ate chips and pizza! But however for meat eaters there were a variety of meats and fish difference every day. A little disappointing that they only had a choice of wine, beer, water and fizzy pop in the restaurant! In the bars they have cocktail menus but most of them are the same just juices and spirits but all the same. They only had 1 brand of beer and that was Tunisian.

Ramzi was amazing, he made the best cocktails and he worked in the entertainment bar was a pleasure to talk to and always knew what we wanted. Also in the entertainment team was Lilou he was the most energetic person I've ever met always making everyone laugh! Would always come and talk to you around the hotel. The beach was nice but always got harassed by the camel men, were soo annoying!

Was a shame that the entertainment didn't start until 9.30 every night, had to wait a few hours from dinner for it to start. The entertainment team work very hard. Most nights we went to the Marina & Medina to eat, we regularly went to the Rovers Return Inn. It was an English sports bar/restraunt was such lovely food and people recommend it! Only 5 dinars in taxi which is £2 cheap! We visited the steakhouse aswel that was English run. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and will be returning next year :)
Also there was a stray dog that lives on the beach outside the hotel, we fed and gave it water every day as no one else did! Such a friendly dog.

Thank you Marco Polo for a lovely holiday! :D

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wellsie95
Reviewed 19 November 2013

What can I say from the moment I arrived to the moment I left I have never had such a pleasant experience. Customer service is outstanding food is amazing lots of choice. The attention to detail in their work is amazing. This hotel is a gem and welcomes you with open arms

• Stayed November 2013
7 Thank Raybush1983
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

First thing to say is if you are allergic to garlic or dislike garlic don't read on - Tunisia is not for you. Excellent selection of food in main buffet restaurant but these guys love their garlic. I am a fussy vegetarian and I always had choice. Did find having to book a sitting for dinner and having the same table a bit strange - we did switch a few times (staff not too pleased but hey ho it wasn't full).

Staff very attentive straight from checking in. Mohammad on reception is always smiling and more than happy to help with any query you have. Actually found a wee queue of people waiting to say goodbye on last night. Rooms spacious - I did find the bed a bit hard but that's personal preference. Found out from a couple that if you need more pillows just ask. Nothing is a problem to these guys.

Didn't get the best weather so the outside pool was too cold to go in properly. Lovely big pool though because out of season the swim up bar was closed. The indoor pool is such a nice feature and why we chose this hotel. Loved the pool but on 2 occasions of using it we found it not to be heated. On one occasion we told reception who had heating switched on but on the 2nd occasion we were not so lucky.

Beach was nice to have on doorstep but a pain having people try to get you on their camels. It is a haggling country so if the camel is your thing haggle the price - locals don't ever give you a realistic price to begin.

There is not the largest selection of drinks and the bar did run out of vodka twice but if your okay to just ask for a cocktail the barman will make you something. Yosuri is the most professional barman I have ever come across and ask him for a wee bar trick - you will be amazed and amused for ages.

There are little things that I expected from a 4* like table service drinks at dinner but there are wine, water, beer and juice machines to help yourself from. There are no irons in the room (we all get crushed clothes in our luggage) but you can rent one for 20 dinar deposit.

Hotel in good location for walking to Marina and Medina. Horse and carts or taxis are always passing for those who may have mobility issues or fancy travelling in a different way. There is a tourist train too but unsure where it picks up.

The entertainment was lacking in all sorts. Only one entertainment member of staff spoke to us the whole week and when he did his boss was quite rude and told him to stand up then sit down again. All very random and not something that should be displayed in front of customers.

So here is my frank and honest review. Would I return - yes I would :-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Jamrocks123
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The hotel had all the usual things that make Riu hotels the good quality they are when it came to cleanlines, the staff friendliness and the fact that nothing was too much bother for anybody but the food was very lacking in imagination and very repetative. I was amazed that turkey could appear in so many ways. We returned to UK on 6th November and accept hotel was very "end of seasonish" and I am sure that in the summer it is more vibrant and maybe the food is more varied, just that compared to other Riu hotels I have stayed at, the Marco Polo is lagging a bit behind. One night I asked for a brandy only to be told that neither bars had any left !!! I am a big fan of Riu group and think this is only time I have given a negative revue to one of their hotels. One thing I did not enjoy was the daily pestering by non Riu staff coming around the pool area trying to sell quad bike trips, boat trips, parachute rides etc etc. Got a bit boring after 5 days of saying no politely but they still kept coming and surprised Riu allow it to such an extent.
The animation team worked really hard and congratulations to Abdulla and as for Mario, you are a star. Apparently there were female members in team but they seemed to be playing statues most of the time. One night was hillarious for anybody old enough to remember Father Ted on the television. The animation teams attempt at River Dance can be compared to Graham Norton doing it in the famous caravan scene. Congratulations to the 2 drag queens. They were amazing.
The 6 of us enjoyed it as a family holiday and as I said staff were very attentive especially to my son celebrating his 30th birthday but sadly I wont ever be going back. I have already booked to go back to Marrakech Riu in March so I am not anti Riu but the gap between hotels is enormous. Hotel is worth a 3/4 ranking and I accept it was end of season but it seemed tired once you looked beyond the immaculate cleanliness of hotel and staff friendliness. Sorry Riu

Room Tip: Ask for upper room We all stayed on second floor and it was ideal
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank SMUDGE49SUSSEX
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Loved every minute of it! Going back next year! Still miss it now after being back over 4 months!! Can't believe how long ago it was! Miss the people n how happy n nice n welcomin they are! Everyones view is different but I really did have a fab time! Great place to go!! People defo go there for a holiday! Funtimes! I will b happy to review again! Lol :)

• Stayed June 2013