“Chill Out in Forty Degree Heat”

Concorde Hotel Marco Polo
Ranked #15 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
Highlands
“Chill Out in Forty Degree Heat”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

First time to this Riu arriving late night to be greeted by someone who did not want to be there about ten people checking in handed a key and told to come back in the morning ,thankfully this was the only hiccup on this Holiday every other member of this large family of staff were excellent friendly happy smiling faces every day of our weeks holiday .Food was plentiful and very varied and HOT which can be a bit of an issue but not here used the main restaurant for breakfasts and lunches and fortunate to have good access to the Asian and Italian both being more relaxing for your evening dining lovely red and rose wines had a very relaxing week and would certainly recommend this hotel for its family friendly atmosphere My personal thanks to General Manager Mr Nehdi Radhouane for his running of this very fine Hotel a very chilled out patron ....

Room Tip: Pool vIews looking towards the beach
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Haggs2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sheffield
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Visited here the last week of July, first of August with my partner and 2 18 years olds. This hotel catered for us all perfectly and I've never known such friendly staff from the hotel manger to the pool cleaner.

Hotel and rooms are well kept and people never seem to stop cleaning. We had need to call a cleaner to one of our rooms at night and they were there instantly and without fuse. Rooms are plenty big enough with enough storage for those that like to take the kitchen sink with them ( me for example!) After tipping the maid we would have flowers on the bed which looked lovely. As with all RIU hotels the safe in your room is free and you can order free bottle water from reception to be delivered to your room. One tip I would give to the ladies who like to wear maxi dresses, take a coat hanger with you to hang your dress on the outside of the wardrobe to let creases fall as the wardrobe height doesn't accommodate long dresses.

Food in the hotel was good too. I am vegetarian and can struggle to get a vegetarian option main dinner but had no issue here. We tried both the Italian and Asian restaurants and for us the Italian won hands down ...........so we went again on our second week. I'd read reviews about the Italian not being too nice but in our opinion they got it wrong so do try it! The males of our party weren't too keen on the breakfast as there was no bacon and the sausage was processed. We ate in the snack bar during the day and there was always plenty of choice too.

Drinks were generous on the alcohol front especially when tipping the staff. We tipped one waiter at the beginning and gave him between 5d and 10d every 3 or 4 days and we never went to the bar when he was around and boy oh boy he made a mean and rather strong cocktail!(Hi to Ali). The local beer isn't too sparkling however.

Entertainment is the name of the game with this hotel and from 10am to around midnight the animation team are keeping you on your toes. Great pool atmosphere with games, dances and daytime activities constantly. Night time is showtime with things from the animation team so much better than the outside shows with the exception of the sword/bed of nails/glass man who was fab and audience participation (2 of our party were part of this nights entertainment) made it even more entertaining.

We wanted a party night away from the hotel and the animation team and reception recommended a club called Latinos. there wasn't many tourists but the music was great with a mix of chart dance and Tunisian. There weren't too many tourist there but it wasn't uncomfortable. Drinks are a little pricey though.

We went on the pirate ship trip which was a really good laugh and very cheap and also the quad bikes which we booked with Omar in the hotel. This is a must trip to do and again didn't cost the earth!

Pool area is nice and clean and the swim up bar is an added bonus. only negative is the volume of sunbeds they cram in and of course the towel on a bed at 7:30am every morning. however we were here at peak time and at the end of Ramadan so the hotel was packed! I personally preferred the beach as it was quieter and you got a lovely breeze which was lost around the pool and I felt I was melting some days..........but it was July! There are some great water-sports on the beach and they are cheap when you compare the price you would pay in Europe. Photographs are taken while you are doing your activity and you can buy them as individual ones are a full disc.We bought the lot and they are making for some good memories already.

All in all this hotel was great, so much so that the teenagers are saving to go back on their own next year as they say its the best place they have been. Would us adults go back? its a yes from me but although my partner liked the hotel, there wasn't enough around the hotel at night to escape the cheese of an all inclusive hotel so unless I leave him at home I won't be going back unfortunately.

Room Tip: make sure you give any tips direct to the person and not in a communal pot or leave it in the room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank 66KMK
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Having recently stayed at this hotel for a week, I'd like to say what a wonderful team they are at Riu Marco Polo! Nothing was too much trouble. The staff went above and beyond to make your stay as comfortable as possible - this was always done with a smile. The hotel was so clean - the cleaning staff never stopped but were never in the way. The waiters/animation team worked tirelessly - they must have worked 18 hour days but you'd never know - they were always so pleasant and accommodating. The food was varied and plentiful. To me, the sign of a good holiday is not have to see your holiday rep about anything and that's exactly why I loved my stay so much! Bravo to all the staff at The Marco Polo Hotel!

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Jenna R
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Visited as a group of 4 adults in two rooms. The whole experience was fantastic.
ROOMS
spacious clean and well appointed with a small fridge (you do need to nag to get water delivered though) the maids did a brilliant job; leaving flowers on a daily basis. ( we tipped around 15 dinar over the course of 11 days)
FOOD
the food was on the whole good, I'm not much of a complainer and understand that catering for hundreds means that repetition is unavoidable. The Asian and Italian restaurants offer a nice reprieve.
POOL/BEACH
I am amazed by all the comments about camel poo!!! How one camel and it's baby could ever hope to produce that much is beyond me... It is seaweed, strange looking seaweed, but seaweed none the less! The pool is amazing, can be cold early in the morning but warms up quickly. The crazy game and aqua aerobics are brilliant.
ENTERTAINMENT
The staff are superb and a credit to the hotel, James runs a tight ship with the animation team who work their socks off all day and night. Watch out for Bouba, Pepito and Yani nothing is too much trouble for them. Watch out for the Fakir show (watching through fingers stuff)

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, and would definitely return.
One final gripe....the Thomson rep Celine was both rude and unhelpful, resorting to sarcasm when we didn't book an excursion; as such we chose not to deal with her further. Maybe it was the heat that got to her!

Stayed August 2014
9 Thank Muffymarshall
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We are a family of 5, 3 adults and two teenagers. We all had a great holiday in Tunisia as we went with open minds after reading mixed reviews.
Every part of the hotel is run extremely well. The cleaners, waiters, bar staff, animation team, pool staff etc. are all friendly and professional.
Our rooms (interconnecting) were spacious, well furnished, clean and kept cool by the great air conditioning!
The restaurants were all well run with a variety of good quality food at all meal times. The Asian restaurant made a welcome change however as it is very calm and much quieter.
The pool is beautiful, very large and wonderful with the swim-up bar, jacuzzis and in-pool loungers!
THE ANIMATION TEAM are absolutely fantastic. They work tirelessly from 10am until midnight every day, organising activities in and out of the pool. They invite you politely but never pressure you. The evening entertainment is run almost entirely by James and the animation team, is there anything they can't do I wonder?
The hotel is very close to the Marina which is well worth an evening stroll. Be prepared for the shopkeepers to invite you to "have a butchers" - this is just a way of life for them, they're friendly, just be polite and firm.
The beach is great, with plenty of parasols and sunbeds. The kayaks, pedalos and catamarans are all included and can be taken for half an hour at a time, life vests are provided too.

All in all a great hotel, well worth the four star rating!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Karen S
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I was apprehensive booking a holiday for my daughter and I to Tunisia but my worries were unfounded. Everyone was so friendly, helpful and above all so happy it made our holiday a great one!!!! All the hotel staff worked so hard from the cleaners, and waiters, barman, chefs and reception staff to keep the hotel running smoothly. The animation team were amazing I don't know where they get their energy from, on the go from morning till night. The food was good in the buffet restaurant and plenty of it, a within ran smoothly with no long queues even at peak times. My only criticism would be that the Italian restaurant lacked a bit of atmosphere and could be improved.
The pool was amazing and with the hotel having direct access to the golden sandy beach with paragliding, canoeing, jet skis etc there was plenty to do. Unfortunately we didn't visit the various bars and restaurants in the town but would definitely try them out should we visit again.
My thanks to Hammet at reception who was lovely going that "extra mile" for guests.
We would definitely recommend this hotel well done First Choice.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a room with balcony to get maximum benefit and look out across the pool, terrace...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Gerry B
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week with my husband 1year old and 8year old and could not fault this hotel . It is well decorated throughout. Staff were very friendly and could not do enough for you. They made a fuss of the kids which the kids loved. Evening entertainment was good compared to most with indoor and outdoor seating.. Food and drink was good although my husband struggled with the flavor of the oil which everything was cooked in. Lovely pool with swim up bar and a small pool for the tiny children. There is also a small games room for the kids which is fairly cheap. The only bad points is the areas outside of the hotel were not nice and first impressions on the way from the airport was awful but luckily the hotel made up for this. This didnt particularly interfere with our holiday as we booked an all inclusive holiday to enjoy with our kids in thr sun and had no need to leave the hotel. I would definately go here again if it wasnt in Tunisia.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family