All reviewswalk in wardrobebiggest bedmini barbeach barlarge balconyrelaxing breakthis wonderful hoteltwo weeksmain restaurantwould recommend this hotel to anyonepastasoft drinkstunisiaentertainmentfrenchholidaymarina
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Hi there, this is my 1st attempt at posting a review on TA so please bear with me. Food, beach, gym, indoor pool, all good as ever. However, the negative bit; my husband and I have been going to the Oceana twice a year for the last 5 or 6 years and have loved it, hence our return visits. Sadly this latest holiday (7th Sep-5th Oct 11 - 28 days) turned sour. Our room was broken into, sorry not broken into, but entered somehow and my jewellery, both gold and fake(M&S) was stolen from the dressing table. We had a room safe, but naively perhaps I trusted everyone, it is after all 5 star. I cannot put a value on what was taken, but suffice to say that sentimental is not strong enough, those who know me are aware of my little gold man. Sadly, as my husband said at the time, things like this do happen in Hotels; however what I find so disturbing is that it would seem not to be a one off, as we spoke to several other couples who we know from previous visits and they had also suffered losses, cash, cameras. phones and clothing, not only British but other Nationalities, it seems endemic in the Hotel. What was most frightening was the room safes seem not secure as they were compromised. Whilst the Hotel Manager is a lovely man and was trying to be helpful and sympathetic, I suspect that he has an uphill battle.
For the last week, the Hotel operated a 2 person principle for the rooms with 2 maids, 2 maintenance, 2 mini bar people at all times, security guys walking up and down the corridors. All I can say is, enjoy your holiday, but please, please try to ensure that you keep an eye on your cash etc and be very wary of the room safes. Of note, when we were leaving our room on the final day, my husband noticed that the tinfoil security seal covering the room safe electronics (inside the door at the hinge end), had been broken open exposing the workings, coincidence, don’t know, but worth a check? Possibly me being ott, but I made my husband put a chair at the door for the last week and wouldn’t allow the AC to be on, as I knew someone was walking round with a room pass key. Sorry for being negative but I felt a moral obligation to put this on TA. We will never return, once bitten etc.
Thanks for reading, but be careful. It is still a nice Hotel, but don’t take valuables as you might lose them. Please feel free to contact me for more info if you wish as I have nothing to hide and no axe to grind.
Gilly Battersby

14  Thank gillian b
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Having now stayed at the hotel on three occasions, twice this year, May and September, the Oceana and in particular its staff continue to impress. They are so friendly and helpful. Unfortunately the downside this year has been the thefts from hotel bedrooms some guests have experienced and this is an issue which must be resolved. The hotel's General Manager leads by example and is most attentive. Also worryingly Thomson have now put this hotel in their Couples classification so no longer is their A la Carte serrvice available for next year. Having a no children policy will potentially be a good move but we will miss the taxi transfers unless we pay extra for them. In the past the service we have received from Thomson on-the-ground at the hotel has been patchy and does not bode well for the future unless they improve. We will be going back in May 2012 but are holding off making a reservation for September until we have experienced Thomson's new service. Sandra and David Miles.

7  Thank DavidMiles4
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We've stayed in hotels all over the world and Riu Palace Oceana is, without question, our favourite. In terms of its overall standards and quality - and particularly for its friendliness, service and atmosphere conducive to sheer relaxation - we find it unsurpassed - even by the few more' 'famous' and 'exclusive' hotels we have visited.

The manager Mr Neves is the most visible and attentive hotel manager we have seen anywhere - and his concern for his guests' wellbeing - which is mirrored by all his staff - make this the most personalised and caring hotel environment of our experience.

If we could use only one destination and one hotel for the rest of life's holidays, this would be it - go!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank soul-chaplain
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Repeat guests at Oceana for approx 15 years, spending between 10 - 12 weeks each year, however this last visit will be our last. Sadly the hotel has deteriorated very quickly, eg housekeeping staff and cleaners not what they were, food maybe not as good as previous visits and bar staff being a bit naughty with charges. A lot of guests including ourselves suffered thefts, money, gold, clothes, cameras and mobile phones. Hotel Manager trying his best but is fighting a very hard battle. Previous to this visit we would have defended the hotel and all of the staff who we thought were friends to anyone, however not now we feel we have been disposed of very easily.

18  Thank george p
Management response:Responded 14 October 2011

The Hotel Management declines any responsibility on this report as we always provide our guests with the utmost international service standards.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

We have just returned from the Oceana and can only echo what the previous reviewer wrote.
Mahmoud on reception said to us that the Oceana is special "we look afterour guests" he said and that is true.
The hotel was only about 40 per cent full but as far as we could see from previous visits they have kept all the staff on. The level of service is just phenominal, all staff combine professionalism with being friendly. As for the food, well my wife and I both put on weight during this holiday, the quality and choice is just fantastic.
We experienced no hassle outside the hotel when we ventured into Yasmine and Old Hammamet, all peaceful.
We travelled with two relatives and had a special dinner in the Oceana a la carte restaurant and it was just wonderful.
If you are thinking of visiting Tunisia stay at the Oceana, you will not regret it! We shall be back there next year.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple