“Superb 'chill out' break”

Hotel Palace Oceana Hammamet
Ranked #5 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Swansea
“Superb 'chill out' break”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a most enjoyable weeks holiday in Hammamet, Tunisia staying at the Riu Palace Oceana. From the moment we arrived and were met at the door we knew that we were going to have a good holiday. The staff at the hotel were very attentive and very friendly, nothing appeared to be too much trouble for them. The room that we had was huge and spotlessly clean and the maid service kept it that way throughout the week. The view from our balcony overlooked the pool and gardens with the sea in the background. The gardens were well kept with the sunbeds spread throughout the gardens not just crowded around the pool. The hotel was quiet as it was the last week of the Summer season, but that suited us as we were looking for a ‘chill out’ break.
The food on offer was great with a good variety available at the evening buffet, the only disappointment was that the themed restaurant wasn’t open but considering the number of guests staying this probably wasn’t practical.
We did read about the problems of thefts from the rooms but we had no problems and didn’t hear of any other guests having problems during our stay.
The Director, Nuno Neves, would always stop for a chat and to enquire if everything was alright during his ‘tours’ around the garden and the hotel, he seemed to put guest satisfaction as one of his priorities.
All in all, the hotel was superb and we would happily go back there again and would certainly recommend it to friends.

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RAS1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kensington
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I have travelled all over the world and Tunisia is the country I have always felt safest in - both before AND after the revolution. And I have always stayed at the wonderful Riu Oceana. Thirteen years now. Maybe 30 happy holidays spent there. Exceptional staff: friendly, attentive, polite. Beautiful clean rooms serviced by cheery maids which have recently been renovated, and the new furniture is a vast improvement. The food is delicious, I always put on weight! And breakfast on the terrace is a real treat.

I can honestly say it has the finest gardens/pool area in Hammamet. I know because I recently visited every 5 star hotel in the town to compare and could find no better. One came close, none beat it. Yes, the birds are noisy. But only at sunset for half an hour. And it's fun watching them soaring into the air.

As to reports of thefts, well I left my camera, Iphone, laptop and my gold signet ring on the table in the room the entire time - nothing was taken.

I have never had a problem at this lovely hotel, but I'm sure Mr Nuno Neves the very attentive manager would very soon take care of it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
11 Thank David P
Elsenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We were recommended to come to this hotel for a short three day break to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary and my wife to enjoy some sun before winter comes with a vengeance!

The Hotel is a magnificent building that shows no sign of deterioration and if anything was potentially renovated in recent times. We were in one of the sea view Junior suites and apart from the noisy birds the view overlooking the pool and onto the beach/sea was magnificent. Our room was spacious, immaculately clean and would have only been better if we had had a double bed rather than two singles put together. We checked in at 9pm and were not hassled for passports or credit card deposits as reception advised this could be sorted following morning!

Throughout our stay the staff was extremely courteous from the "young man" working on the beach sorting out our lounges, cushions and towels, to the beach/pool bar man who ensured our glasses were always full. The maids were very friendly and when we asked for a 3pm checkout it was instantly agreed.

Our only negative comments are about the food - it was the one area which could be significantly improved on for both breakfast and dinner. The waiting staff were extremely helpful and courteous (as were the Chefs). It may be that we had come off season but its an honest comment.

As for Tunisia, we never felt uncomfortable even though the weekend we stayed was the first free elections. All the local people were friendly and the beach sellers would move on if you were firm enough. There practiced sad stories are predictable.

Finally the manager Mr Nuno Neves makes it his objective to meet all the guests. We met him on a number of occasions and spent 20 minutes with him as we were departing. I wish him all the best in making the hotel truly 5 star!

Ps - no hotel room security issues at all, safe provided but being a dimwit I could not use it. My Ipad, laptop, iphones, pc and passports were never in trouble!

Room Tip: Sea view room - we were on second floor
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank stevenewman1
Manchester
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This is our second visit to this fabulous hotel. We recommended the hotel to some friends and we were fortunate to return there with them . They loved it as much as we did.
The service we received was exemplary in every possible way and I can honestly say that we didn't have any concerns about security.
Our fellow guests were unanimous in their praise of the hotel, Nuno and his staff.
We will return for sure!
Julie and Colin Davis

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank JMDManchester
Scotland
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We have just returned from a excellent 2 week stay at the Riu Palace, and have nothing but praise for the Manager and is Professional and friendly team who made us feel genuinely special.
On our return we could not believe some of the reviews, with our own experience we were happy with the level of security at the Hotel and we certainly did not have any problems.
We shall definitely return in the future.

Bill and Fiona

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Amac1red
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Just had confirmation that my attempt at lodging a review on TA has been rejected as it breaks their hearsay rules etc. Therefore trying again and trying to stay within their guidelines.
My wife and I stayed at the Oceana again for 4 weeks 7th Sep-5th Oct 2011. All went well until my wife had her jewellery stolen from our suite, both gold and fake taken. We are aware of other theft problems in the Hotel, won’t go further as TA will cancel this review also, but it seems endemic.
On leaving our room at the end of a difficult stay I noticed the security foil strip covering the room safe electronics had been ripped open, not sure if important but be aware.
Also, check what you sign for at the bar’s, order 1 beer and sign for 3. This despite tipping the guys every visit, very sad.
The Hotel is very close to signing a “Couples Only” contract with Thomson and this is obviously the last thing they need. Not being ott, but be very careful with your possessions.
We will never return.
Blue and Gilly

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Blue072
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Hi there, this is my 1st attempt at posting a review on TA so please bear with me. Food, beach, gym, indoor pool, all good as ever. However, the negative bit; my husband and I have been going to the Oceana twice a year for the last 5 or 6 years and have loved it, hence our return visits. Sadly this latest holiday (7th Sep-5th Oct 11 - 28 days) turned sour. Our room was broken into, sorry not broken into, but entered somehow and my jewellery, both gold and fake(M&S) was stolen from the dressing table. We had a room safe, but naively perhaps I trusted everyone, it is after all 5 star. I cannot put a value on what was taken, but suffice to say that sentimental is not strong enough, those who know me are aware of my little gold man. Sadly, as my husband said at the time, things like this do happen in Hotels; however what I find so disturbing is that it would seem not to be a one off, as we spoke to several other couples who we know from previous visits and they had also suffered losses, cash, cameras. phones and clothing, not only British but other Nationalities, it seems endemic in the Hotel. What was most frightening was the room safes seem not secure as they were compromised. Whilst the Hotel Manager is a lovely man and was trying to be helpful and sympathetic, I suspect that he has an uphill battle.
For the last week, the Hotel operated a 2 person principle for the rooms with 2 maids, 2 maintenance, 2 mini bar people at all times, security guys walking up and down the corridors. All I can say is, enjoy your holiday, but please, please try to ensure that you keep an eye on your cash etc and be very wary of the room safes. Of note, when we were leaving our room on the final day, my husband noticed that the tinfoil security seal covering the room safe electronics (inside the door at the hinge end), had been broken open exposing the workings, coincidence, don’t know, but worth a check? Possibly me being ott, but I made my husband put a chair at the door for the last week and wouldn’t allow the AC to be on, as I knew someone was walking round with a room pass key. Sorry for being negative but I felt a moral obligation to put this on TA. We will never return, once bitten etc.
Thanks for reading, but be careful. It is still a nice Hotel, but don’t take valuables as you might lose them. Please feel free to contact me for more info if you wish as I have nothing to hide and no axe to grind.
Gilly Battersby