“The Friendliest Hotel I've Been To Yet”

Hotel Palace Oceana Hammamet
Ranked #4 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Just back from this wonderful hotel. Very very enjoyable indeed. The hotel was quiet which is due to the fact that it is still their winter season. Full season does not kick in until may. Weather was just nice. Mid 20s. The hotel really is lovely. Lots of marble with roman style waterfalls sunk into the walls. Good sized oudoor pool with a kiddies pool and indoor pool. The hammann (turkish bath) is very authentic. Make sure and get a scrub. I cannot enough good things about the staff. The people on reception very friendly and helpful. The bar staff always love a good chat and joke and they all speak at least 4 languages. The rooms were huge. Ours (room 435 ) looked right over the pool and out onto the ocean. Every day the room maid would do something different to the room. One day she had made our top bed sheet into a swan covered in rose petals. Very impressive. Everywhere very clean. Food is very good although we ate out a few nights at the local port (yasmine hammamet) purely to get a feel for local feed. I would recommend La Viola.
As per the previous post the only downside was that the internet was down but again the reception were very helpful in letting us use their computer to send an urgent email

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JohnSanj
There are newer reviews for Hotel Palace Oceana Hammamet

Reviewed 20 April 2009

Great hotel, good location on the beach. Excellent facilities - pool (indoors & out), spa, restaurant (breakfast on a lovely terrace), etc. Staff were friendly & very helpful. Folded pyjamas or towels on the bed each night (hearts, with flowers or sweets etc) a really lovely touch.

Yasmine Hammamet only half an hour walk up the beach with loads of cafes, supermarket etc.

Also take a few day trips - Carthage & Tunis, El Jem, Dougga are all memorable.

Only downside lack of PC access - one which didn't work when I was there.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank catherinemrutter
Reviewed 8 April 2009

The hotel buildings are spectacular with a towering atrium housing a seating area and a circular bar. The grounds are also spectacular with a long winding driveway at the front and, at the back, well-tended grounds with two large outdoor swimming pools, one possibly for children. There is also an indoor swimming pool which is quite large. There is direct access to the beach where the hotel has it's own loungers.
Our room was very large with an ample settee, a further seat, a coffee table, a very large bed and a good floor area. It had an enormous balcony with summer furniture - two chairs and a table. The hotel has been well maintained and is in good condition throughout. Every morning there was evidence of the cleaning effort being made. The staff were without exception superb - helpful, polite and solicitous.
In short I would say that the hotel deserves it's 5 star rating (by British standards) and it looked streets ahead of any other hotel I saw during my stay in Tunisia. The few criticisms that I would make are meant to be helpful rather than carping as, hopefully, the Management might read these reviews!. The hotel charges 3 dinars (£1.50) a day for the use of a room safe but I would expect this facility to be part of the package offered at 5 star level. I don't think that I can recall any 4 or 5 star hotel I have ever stayed in having charged me for a room safe.
Dinner is offered in two sittings - either at 6.00 pm or at 8.00 pm and, having sorted out on the first day which sitting you want, this continues for your stay unless renegotiated. This was my first package holiday for some years and I may be out of touch but I would expect open access to dining facilities at 5 star level. The food itself was fairly good overall although, being a buffet, haute cuisine it certainly was not. The main problem was the main course which was prepared and issued as diners awaited. The beef was very good and was tender but a lot of the rest of the food on offer I found unattractive in appearance and I could not face much of it. To be fair I think that I was unusual in this view but I do have high expectations at 5 star level and, on the main course they were not met, for me at any rate.
The bar was very pleasant with lots of comfortable seats and waiter service but it was expensive. For example a pint (and at 560ml it was almost exactly a pint!) was 7.2 dinars ((just over £3.60). To put it into context the Radisson, the prime situated hotel and the only one actually in Manchester Airport charged me £3.75 the night before I left. They both need to get a grip! This might well have the reason why there was usually only about 12-15 people in the bar at peak times. How about a Happy Hour?. There was a live performer every night - two dance acts, a keyboard player and a group of two are the ones I can remember. The situation of the hotel meant that a taxi would have been necessary to go anywhere else in the evening - and there probably wasn't anything else!
For someone who wants to sit on a beach or by a swimming pool the hotel would be an excellent choice. For someone who wants to explore Tunis and Carthage, for example were in easy reach by public transport - see previous reviews. Overall it was an excellent hotel and is, in my view a good choice for the traveller who wants to see a bit of Tunisia and stay in good accommodation

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank hibees43
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Went for a weeks' relaxation and this place was great.
The hotel itself is beautiful, well run, staff are excellent and very helpful. We went half board: the evening meals are excellent (you can do five courses if you like, there's a great selection of things which vary every evening).
The room was enormous - a junior suite seems to be the standard - two double beds, a sofa, table, TV, balcony, dressing room, bathroom with bath and separate shower. Very clean, well decorated, remade daily with a flourish of fresh flowers. The best rooms face the pool. There are suites if you want multiple bedrooms.
The spa is excellent, with hammam, solarium, sauna, and a range of beauty and massage treatments. Average treament is ~65-75 dinars (at time of writing approx £35-£40). Packages of multiple treatments available.
The new part of town (Yaseem Hammamet) is approx 1km walk away along the beach...that's got a marina, lots of little cafes, shops etc.
The hotel has Internet access although it is fairly limited. Free wireless if you have a device that can use it; otherwise, one PC which isn't the easiest thing to use. But leave your emails behind you and enjoy the pool!! Speaking of which - there are two main pools, one outdoor, one heated indoor.
Overall we loved the place and would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bg_voyageur
Reviewed 14 February 2009

Hotel staff make or break any holiday, and they made this one. They were uniformly welcoming, interested, friendly, and good at their jobs. The rooms are really spacious and well equipped, and the building is impressive with attractive architectural detail. There is nowhere much to walk to, except along the beach, but taxis are so cheap that this is not a major problem. A £2 taxi ride taking about ten minutes takes you to a train station on the main North-South railway line, on which, for example, a first class return ticket to Tunis costs less than £5. The food is served as a buffet but with plenty of waiter help, and it is varied and enjoyable: no buffet food is fine dining, but we found all of it perfectly acceptable and some of it better than that. Their Tunisian wines are reasonably priced, and some of them are surprisingly good. A wonderful indoor heated pool, and a gym - both free .Many, possibly most, of the rooms have a view over the sea, and as the coast faces east there are memorable dawns.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank johncrispin
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We had originally chosen the Riu Park hotel in Hammamet (poor hotel) but after staying there 2 hours, decided to move here and were delighted by what we found.

We were given a large room on the fourth floor with a separate bath and shower. The balcony overlooked the pool/beach and offered us great sunsets. The facilites (pool etc) were all well maintained and the gym equipment was probably less than 3 years old.

The staff were probably the most friendly that we have ever encountered and were always willing to offer help or guidance.

The food in the hotel was very good. As we stayed "off season", each night we were chose from the a la carte menu which was very good and offered local dishes as well as more traditional cuisine for the less adventurous. When the hotel is busier, we undertsand that there would normally be a buffet available. For breakfast, there was a wide selection on offer and the croissants were probably the best outside France.

Golf could be booked through the hotel (at marginally preferential rates) which included transfer to the courses - less than 10 minutes away. Fellow guests tried the health club and would recommend the massages. A short walk away along the clean beach was the new town and marina where there are a selection of tourist shops, a small supermarket and some restaurants - we always ate in.

We really enjoyed our stay and will return.

• Stayed: January 2009
2  Thank MagellansTours
Reviewed 31 December 2008

Just got back from a week at the Riu Palace Oceana in Hammamet and I have to say that it was one of the best relaxing vacation I ever had -- I travel a lot and I am very fussy about where I stay -- The hotel is beautiful, clean, well kept and the staff is at your beck and call without behing bothersome. The food was great and the treatments at the spa, the very best I ever had.
Since I was traveling alone I wanted a quiet relaxating vacation and this is exactly what I got. I even got lucky as the weather during that week in december was sunny and warm.. During the Christmas week the hotel was very quiet which was wonderful for me but I understand it is a lot more busy in the summer, The beach is clean, the pool is spotless, in other words, for the money I don't think you can get much better than this.
I am already planning to return.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank marieantoinetteUK