Hotel Palace Oceana
Medina Solaria & Thalasso(Hammamet)(Great Value!)
US$90
  • Pool
US$224
US$215
  • Breakfast included
Hammamet Garden Resort & Spa(Hammamet)(Great Value!)
US$49
US$41
Hotel Bel Azur(Hammamet)
US$84
Orbitz.com
All reviewswalk in wardrobemini barbeach barquiet hotelthis wonderful hotelhotel managementtwo weekssoft drinkstunisiafrenchgardenersflies
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Stayed for a week, Sun 14 March - 21st. I wanted to stay at a RIU hotel as we stayed at one in Fuerteventura at Christmas. The Oceana is lovely and the staff very friendly and attentive. The food was good but not as fine as my previous RIU experience. Our room was comfortable but sometimes we could hear other residents running baths and opening the sliding doors of their wardrobes. We were on the opposite side to the swimming pool but we still had a view of the sea above the garden trees. The garden was well maintained with lawns, trees, palms and birds! There were lots blackbirds and sparrows which I didn't expect to see and it was amusing to watch them building nests in palm trees. The hotel is a bit cut off though and there is no promenade if you like a walk after dinner. Taxis are reasonable but agree a price before you get in or ask for the meter to be set. There is also a bus service which we used but some may feel the walk to the bus stop on the main road is too far.

As we were “out of season” many of the beach bars and surrounding hotels were closed for the winter. The beach had good sand but away from the hotel there was flotsam and jetsam accompanied by plastic bottles. Towards the end of our stay we noticed some closed hotels being cleaned and painted in preparation for the summer and a clean-up operation began on the beach so I would imagine that during the peak season the resort looks totally different – but too hot for me!.

2  Thank karenphil2000
Reviewed 11 March 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Riu Oceana.

All the hotel staff were the friendliest and helpful that we have ever experienced. The hotel looked and smelt great all the time and it really does feel as if you are staying in a palace. Our room was very spacious and comfortable; I just loved the walk in wardrobe.

The hotel is however cut off from any shops and its a 20 minute walk to yasmine hammamet from the beach but the taxis are very cheap.

Having stayed at other 5* hotels we thought that the meals on days were average, the variety can be limited and the quality was not always so good. Activities and entertainment were also limited at this time and there was only one english tv channel.

Overall, we had a lovely weeks relaxation in plush surroundings with the most obliging hotel staff.

S&N

Reviewed 10 March 2010

I agree with a lot of what other reviewers have said, but would like to add a few caveats. This is our 12th different Riu in Europe and in some ways the least enjoyable. It is out on a limb, access to the nearest cafes, shops etc along a beach which was none too clean and all sand. There is no public transport and the hotel is on a dead end road. Do not even think of walking anywhere on the road, which turns into a major routeway at the roundabout. So taxis are a must. It is the least pedestrian friendly of all the Rius we have been in.
The staff do remember regulars and many do return again and again. However this does give an air of a "two class" clientele, at times, as first timers we felt a "bit out of it"
The staff are very polite, and effective, the food was great, the hotel clean and tidy. But I felt it lacked warmth, lacked an atmosphere. The appalling weather did not help, when it is cold wet and windy any hotel can be bad, but this one seemed particularly bleak. Perhaps it was because it was so empty - 50-60 rooms occupied I suspect, but I feel it needs the sun and warmth.
And for the first time we had a serious problem, which meant that we had to curtail our stay. The senior staff were I feel somewhat diffident, and did not seem to want to help, even though the problem was largely of their making.
So, if you want a beach/pool/sightseeing break, with very good food and surroundings this couild be the place for you. But if like us you want to walk locally, and "potter around" think twice

Reviewed 5 March 2010

Chose this hotel after reading hundreds of reviews of other hotels in hammamet - this one had the BEST reviews and when we got there we weren't dissapointed. we got an excellent service no matter where we were - restaurant, pool, bar, reception - the staff give you their undivided attention and are very pleasant - speaking many languages too!! was a bit quiet at this time of year - but we went for a relaxing holiday and thats exactly what we got. the food is FANTASTIC - trust me you could stay in the restaurant and just EAT EAT EAT!!! would most definetly go back and stay there. I would make a suggestion of having entertainment in the evenings - despite it being low season - thats the only negative point. thank you for a wonderful stay. Imran and Sabiha, England.

Reviewed 3 February 2010

Major drawback for the single traveller: The single rooms are really quite small compared to the Junior Suites the hotel has otherwise (see floor plan for comparison). Since the atrium os open, it was probably good I had a room well away from the atrium, otherwise one would probably have the music and chatter from the bar.
Other than the room size, I couldn´t have been more satisfied.

As I travelled in the off-off season (end of January), the hotel had maybe about 50 guestes, a lot of them generation 55+ and a good share of golfers.
Dinner was therefore not in two sessions but you could come in anytime between 1830 and 2100, but I wouldn´t want to see the place when it is really packed.

The room was spotlessly clean, room service had a new idea for colorful decorations every day (I guess the tip on the bathroom sink helped), minbar was affordable (3,200 TND for a coke or a 0.9l bottle of water).
View from the balcony was sideways out to the beach and sea with Hammamet in the far distance.

Staff was friendly throughout, table service very attentive. Since I don´t speak french, I was glad to get by with German and the occasional english.

The location on th ebeach is probably good for the summer season, in January, you had to find a spot out of the wind to enjoy the sun. For everything else, you really needed a taxi, since the hotel is in a pure hotel-only zone with nothing much around it.
Taxis are cheap (about 7 TND into Hammamet, 5-6 TNS to the two golf courses), but consign your fate to Allah when travelling, I never had a taxi with working seatbelts.

Breakfast was average to good (liked the fresh preparation of crepes, omelettes and fried/scrambled eggs), dinner was fantastic. Good variety, great qualitiy (no stomach problems during the whole week) and choice. Beware of the Tunisian wine, though, at 12% alcohol it gets to your head.

This was my frist trip to Tunisia and in fact my first ever package holiday trip, but despite my fears about star ratings in northern africa, this property would receive 5 stars in comparison to any european 5-star place.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo