“Great beach holiday”

SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa
Ranked #19 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Just returned from a trip to Tunisia from 1st september to 9th september. Based on great reviews of the Sentido Aziza, we decided to stay there. Here is my feedback about various aspects of the hotel.

Room - Great room with sea view from a large balcony. Nice furnishings. Cleaned everyday. Bathroom was large and very clean. Soaps and shampoos supplied were not great but ok.

Breakfast - Very good variety with hot stations for eggs and pancakes. Overall great food

Dinner Buffet - Quite good food with a lot of variety and the menu was different everyday. Had some great desert on saturday.

International restaurant - Food was average. The menu is pre-decided by them. They charge 25 dinars per person extra if you are on half board. The restaurant did a separate dish for us as we do not take beef which was the main dish on the day we went. This was a real nice gesture.

Swimming pools and beach - They are Lovely. Nice, clean and large pools with nice deck chairs. I did not use the pool bar much. They do serve soft drinks. Beach is clean and the water is wonderful

Reception and service - The service in general is not up to the mark and there is a lot of room for improvement. Courtesy and politeness was missing completely. I did not feel welcome there. There is a culture of giving tips for everything in Tunisia. This is apparent in the nature of service and translates to a point where you get good service only if you tip well. I would not expect this in a hotel of this standard.

Evening entertainment - Was not too great. We got to see belly dancing one day and listen to some light music on the others

Surrounding areas - Not much to see. There are a few small shops around where you can get some basic stuff. The area is quiet and good for a walk after dinner

Spa - Was very busy. Did not get a chance to try it as they did not have slots.

Disco - Went there once but it was completely empty. It is on from 11 pm to 2 am

Room Tip: Sea view rooms make a lot of difference
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank SKPMilan
houda h, Responsable relations clients at SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your comments ,we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with as ,although
some points was not up to your expectations. thank you again .
It will be a pleasure to all of us welcoming you back.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed at the Aziza first week of September and hotel was excellent. Staff are all very friendly and chatty. Loved that we could use the boats etc on the beach free of charge and Ghazi's nordic walking was great. The food was very nice in both the buffet and Tunisian restaurants - although felt sorry for the lovely waiter in the Tunisian restaurant as he was always working on his own and rushing around. Rooms were comfortable and fairly clean, had a great sea view. Pool staff always around to help with sunbeds etc. Overall very pleasant stay and would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Was on second floor with a sea view, not noisy and great view. If you want a double bed make sure yo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Hannah A
houda h, Responsable relations clients at SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Guests,

We are happy to learn you spent lovely holidays at the Sentido Aziza Beach,thank you very
much for this kind review .It will be a pleasure to all of us welcoming you back as soon as possible ,many thanks again.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

We went to Tunisia in July, and this hotel was brilliant. The room was lovely, very spacious and perfectly clean. The cool drink we received on arrival was very refreshing after a long day travelling, and our first impression of the hotel was that it looked very nice.

The food was not amazing. Now, I don't mean there was anything wrong with it, as it was tasty and plenty of it. It was always hot when required, and I especially liked the fact that there was often a good variety. I'm not a fan of vegetables, but particularly liked the fact that there was usually a couple of choices of potato dishes, more than one meat choice, and the desserts was really tasty. They did have a night where they only put out pastry-type desserts (which I think we typical Tunisian perhaps), which were all right, if a little dry. The chocolate mousse was yummy though, and I always had a blob of that with whatever else I was trying.

The beach was nice, and mostly clean. We didn't see any jellyfish, which was a relief, however the beach sellers were very annoying. I appreciate they are just trying to make a living, but getting hassled by 4 or 5 people one after the other as they walk up and down the beach really ruined my relaxing, especially as we were often pestered when they walked back. However, that was NOTHING compared to going to the Medina, and also the market in Tunis. Here's a tip- if you don't like being hassled, Tunisia is not the place for you.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly, and Ghazi was a complete gem- always polite and smiling, and I had a good chat with him about Carthage (I think he said he used to be a guide and knows a lot about it). He would have made a much better guide than the one we had with Thomas Cook, as our tour had mainly French people on, and he would ramble for ages in French, before saying a couple of lines in English and we felt he was giving them more information than us. However, Ghazi was a genuinely lovely man, and we would have loved to have had him take the tour instead. Oh well....

We did have a slight mystery on our hands, as when we arrived there were two bath robes. Throughout the course of the week, one disappeared, and on the second to last day, so did the other one. I can only assume they were taken away to be cleaned, and they forgot to return them, but it wasn't a major issue as we had plenty of towels.

Another commendation goes to the chap who runs the Moorish cafe on the basement floor. We went there most nights, as we enjoy smoking shisha pipes and have one of our own at home. He was very chatty and made us laugh, and I found him to be a credit to the hotel. He also makes a damn fine coffee!

If I were ever to return to Tunisia (which I probably won't- I understand our culture is different, but I don't like people pretending to work for the hotel in the medina in order to try and lure me places, or having people standing in front of me so I can't escape from their stalls!) then I would definately go back to this hotel. And when I travel abroad again (which I certainly will do before the year is out), then I would happily book another Sentido hotel as it is clearly the way to go!

(On a side note, I know there's a lot of complaints about flies on reviews on here- they ARE a big pain, but that's just the way it is there. I ate most lunchtimes at the hotel and am sure a fly or two landed on some of my food, but it didn't do me any harm and I didn't have an upset stomach at all during my holiday. It's probably not the most hygienic thing in the world to have flies flapping about, but I suppose it is largely beyond the hotel's control).

So...lovely hotel, nice beach, decent food (a lot better than at a hotel I went to earlier in the year, that's for sure!) and friendly staff. Would book here again if I ever returned!

Room Tip: I really don't see the point in paying extra for a sea view. Our view was fine (it wasn't a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Liz H

Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments written on tripadvisor, We are deglighted that you enjoyed your stay with as.All the staff looking forward welcoming you back .

Reviewed 7 September 2012

Just returned, (29aug -5 sept) had a lovely time, but had 2 1/2 days of rain or heavy cloud so put a neg on our holiday.
We arrived early in morning , 10 ish and no queues at passport control, the queues must build up during the day as previous reviewers have said, try to get an early flight.
Hotel rec staff were quick and we had a cool drink and towels while we filled in the forms. Our room was very large with twin beds, very large bathroom, large wardrobe space but not enough hangers, but I take foldable ones for my dresses etc.
Our room 344, was on the corner of the hotel. We paid for a sea view which we had, but the air conditioning units for the restarants were below us, so very noisy. To block out the noise we had 2 patio doors, this did work but we were not able to sit on the balcony,but we did get spectacular sunsets over the hills, some of the best we have seen, even better than Greece! so this more than made up for the room. Excellent air con too. My husband always takes his own pillow and so did I after reading some of the reviews and I am glad that I did.
Restarents and food were good, but a bit limited, but we found something to eat at every meal which was hot and tasty but may be reptative if staying longer than 1 week. Annimation team work hard but did not push you to join in, but if you did they were great fun .Did the walk with ghazi, enjoyable and not too far or too hard going. Eve entertainment was not to our taste,very low key. We spent our time in the pub/bar or on the terrace ,very relaxing. You will be pleased to know that the sunbeds are available all day,so no getting up too early.Pool guy Ali would get you thick comfy cushions and umbrellas if you wanted.A tip of 2 dinars (80p) went a long way .
Overall a nice relaxing break.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view
3  Thank HolidayfansKent
houda h, Responsable relations clients at SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2012

Dear Guests,

Many thanks for your kind review, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
It will be a pleasure to all of us welcoming you back and we do our best to give you a nice
room with a nice sea view.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We have just returned from a one week stay at the Aziza Beach (26 Aug - 02 Sep). We are a young couple in our mid-20s. We had a fantastic time and will definitely be returning (hopefully next summer). Here's our points:

1. Book a sea view balcony room. SO worth it - fabulous view and the spacious balcony has chairs and a table for relaxing.

2. The animation team were fantastic. They run various activities throughout the day (pilates, aquagym, volleyball etc) but don't force you into joining. We didn't really do any of the activities but they were often fun to watch from the comfort of the sun lounger! Saif always had a smile for everyone and took the time to chat to all the guests. Islem was very funny and always cheerful. Ghazi's walk was really entertaining and he was very interesting and informative but was also very fun.

3. The hotel staff were always polite and helpful. The restaurant staff work very long hours but are always very polite and cheerful and keep your drinks topped up in the buffet. The waiters in the two restaurants are absolutely fantastic - fabulous hosts.

4. If you go All Inclusive you should definitely try out the two restaurants (included in the AI). We ate in both restaurants twice and the atmosphere was lovely!

5. The hotel has windsurfing, catamarans, pedalos and kayaks for AI guests. The staff at the station were very helpful. We windsurf at home and loved the opportunity to go out whenever we liked.

6. The room was lovely. We could control the air-con to suit our preferences and the bathroom was very clean with constant hot water. The room had a safe, a huge comfy double bed (the pillows were a bit flat but fine - you definitely don't need to take your own!) and were changed daily.

7. Take a pen in your hand luggage - the visa queue at the Tunisian airport can be a bit of a pain without one as you have to fill in forms.

We had a wonderful week and hope to return soon. Will be recommending this hotel to all our friends. The lack of children (hotel policy since 2011) was also blissful!

Thanks to all at Sentido Aziza, fabulous hotel with wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Request a double bed and pay the extra for a sea view balcony. We had room 249 and it was lovely.
7  Thank Kirsty W
houda h, Responsable relations clients at SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for posting your lovely comment on tripadvisor,following your recent visit
at the Sentido Aziza Beach,we are deglighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
many thanks for recommending the Sentido Aziza
All the staff forward welcoming you back ( next summer ).
thank you again.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

As we arrived at the Aziza Hotel we were welcomed with a cool refreshing drink and a damp flannel to cool down after the 45 minute journey from the airport. This would have been enjoyed a little more if the reception staff were not shouting and arguing with each other for a good ten minutes while we were trying to fill in some details for them. Our luggage was kindly taken away for us but was put 3 doors away from our room and we were not told when it was brought up.

When we booked the holiday we booked a double room, however we had two single beds pushed together which personally I don't think is right for a couples adult only hotel. We went back down to reception and quiered this. The reception staff explained that apparently we didn't specify in booking details for a double bed (so do this if you wish for one) and they were fully booked so there was nothing they could do. We didn't request a sea view because we booked through Thomas cook and it was quite a bit more expensive for them so we weren't bothered. The road side view was never noisy however because our room was in the corner our balcony was all brick with 3 small window holes ( not like a railing/balcony like the majority of them.)

The food was very good, lots of choice at breakfast lunch and dinner. It depended on what staff were on, how good the service was! Some days our drinks were topped up non stop, the waiters were keeping an eye on you're drinks all the time. But other days we had to constantly keep asking for top ups, they would walk past empty glasses several times. The service can also be quite slow especially for alcohol in the restaurants because they go all the way out to the reception bar to collect drinks. We didn't go to the al a carte restaurant or Tunisian restaurant, the menus didn't really appeal to us and we were told by another couple that the service was extremely slow. Overall we couldn't complain about the food! There was always something for everyone and the choices do change daily. The snacks were good if you missed the lunch buffet.

Activities through the day consisted of, aqua gym, beach volleyball, mini golf, darts, walking, French bowls, and table tennis. The team were good at encouraging people to get up and join in, but left you at peace if you didn't want to.
The entertainment at night was ok but could be a lot better. We managed to watch belly dancers, a magic show, a pianist and went to the cocktail welcoming night.

We paid for 3 excursions,
- the friguia zoo and zulu night which was brilliant.
- Anchors way , a fun pirate boat trip
- BBQ night at a british bar with a drag show which was funny!

The Maid services at the hotel were fantastic, fresh towels every day and bed sheets changed as many times as you wish. Once we were unpacked and a little more settled the room felt a bit more welcoming but could have had a bit more info about what there is to do/ places to see etc, - thank god for the rep the next morning! Ondine, told us lots to do and set up all of our excursions.

The pool bar could do with being updated and more choice! Also the glasses were washed and then served again wet which wasn't great. Ice cream would be nice at the pool bar. Service was also quite slow at this bar!

Overall this is a nice hotel with most of the staff being friendly and helpful. There is definitely room for improvement, which could easily be achieved. I wouldn't rate this hotel a 4* but then again Tunisia is a third world country and i think they have worked well to achieve what it is.
It also looked like one of the best hotels and resorts out of all the hotels we saw throughout the week.

Room Tip: Request a double bed when booking.
4  Thank Nicola A

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your comments,we have take a note about your remarks.
Hope welcoming you back to Sentido Aziza Beach and we do our best to satisfay you.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Returned yesterday after a truly great holiday. Staff were excellent, all of them! As for the wine being awful, what did you expect!! Not known for wine producing. Food was up to standard. I think some people on here need a reality check. this is North Africa, not The Ritz. "A few candles and good wine". If that's the main issue you have, you did well. Found the staff very welcoming and always helpful with what seemed a genuine smile.
Tunisia has had its problems in recent times, but is doing a good job of putting it right after so much political upheaval.
Well done. Would definitely recommend this hotel, staff and location.
Thank you.
Andrew & Alys

Room Tip: We chose a room with a beach view. Wonderful moonlit scene.
4  Thank A1Pettey

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for this kind review, we are deglighted to learn that you enjoyed your
stay with us ,big thank you for recommending the Sentido Aziza Beach.
It will be a pleasure to all of us welcoming you back.