“Lovely Hotel”

SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa
Ranked #19 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed for 10 nights from 28/4/13.This was an excellent hotel for the price that we paid.We found the food to a very high standard with lots of choice & definitely the best that we have experienced in our 7 visits to Tunisia.Rooms were well decorated & comfortable in general, the beds & pillows were not so comfy!Most staff were efficient & polite.We mainly used the pub downstairs.There is a problem in having to wait for a drink in the main bar & this could be up to 30 minutes which is not acceptable.More than 2 waiter staff are required if the hotel insists on drinks served at your table & not allowing you to go to the bar & order yourself.The pool area is beautiful.I did do the water aerobics one day however this was not energetic or structured enough for me & only a handful of people participated for I believe this reason.We would return if we could get it for a good price for sure, but the bar service in the main bar lets the hotel down and for this reason I would not pay a high price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Happycouple3
Ioana V, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your review, but as we are a respectable hotel, we cannot let our guests stand in line to get their beverages from the bar (this way it would resemble a cafeteria).

Reviewed 25 May 2013

We booked to stay at the Sentido Aziz which was advertised as a 5* hotel. It is not and the room keys state 4*. The room we had was spacious with plenty of space and a balcony in the shade. Unfortunately it was not very clean and replacement sheets were left on the top of the bed.
The beach was disappointing and difficult to access for a person with mobility issues, consequently I had to stay by the pool. Lovely clean pool with the best sunbeds taken by 06.00.
The staff at the hotel were mainly friendly and accommodating.
My main problem was the food. The food we had in the a la carte Tunisian restaurant was so inedible that the cat struggled to eat it. The food in the hotel buffet was often cold and left standing for two long, so it was not particularly hot. It was very bland and everything tasted much the same. I had previously stayed at the Phoenicia where the food was much better. Thomas Cook need to give a more accurate star rating; I would not stay at this hotel again or recommend it.

Room Tip: The sea/pool facing rooms get no afternoon sun and some on the first floor have a flat roof below th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Souzo_13

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your review. We are going to forward your comments concerning the food and housekeeping in order to improve our service.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

To start, Thomas Cook cook rate this a 5 star, do not fall for this as it is actually a 4.

When we arrived we were greeted with a drink and a hot towel before being taken to our rooms quickly. The room was spacious, modern, and very clean. We had a large wardrobe each which was a nice touch, and the balcony is spacious. Even though we did not have a sea view, what we did have was not bad at all, it was an interesting scenery.

Food was all round good, travelling with a vegetarian can prove complicated with regards eating, but there are plenty of options for fussy eaters. Breakfast was ok, the weakest course by far. The hot food selection was dreary, the only thing I enjoyed was the beef sausages. The bacon is very odd and was pretty much inedible and the scrambled eggs looked pretty watery. They do have a cook making omelettes and fried eggs which are slightly better than the rest. They had some doughnut-esque things that were really good, especially with the different jams that were on offer, it is just a shame that they were not provided every day. Fresh bread and croissants with jam is what you get for the continental, it's better than nothing, but they should be a little bit more imaginative.

Lunch is great, we enjoyed lunch every single day we were there and do not have any complaints. Waiters are friendly and do not hesitate to give you a second beer when you have barely touched the first, which I cannot complain about. There is fresh bread and fruit alongside a good selection of dessert. The ice cream is not the best. Vegetarian food was again pretty good most days, some days it was a bit scarce but a good excuse to have pizza and chips!

Dinner buffet was just a supercharged lunch buffet, so no complaints there really. But we do have a fairly large complaint about the Tunisian restaurant. After explaining to the waiter that one of us was a vegetarian, the only 2 courses we bothered to stay for had meat in them. Once is forgivable, but twice is plain inconsiderate. And the meat option I had contained bones all the way through, (it was a spring roll sort of thing so I would have never expected that)

The international restaurant though was excellent, very considerate chef and waiting staff and worth every dinar tipped. The food was different and well prepared every time we went, which was 3 times in total. The managerial type staff that was there very nice (Mr M-something) and his catchphrase "Nice surprise?" was very funny. We tipped generously and on the last night he gave us a 5 seat table for the 2 of us, and a nicer variety of wine. Very enjoyable indeed.

Pool and facilities are all good and clean and the beach is good apart from the men who are constantly trying to sell you rotting fruit and cheap scarves.

Tipping goes a long way, you get better service and stronger drinks etc when you tip more generously. We would usually do a dinar for a drink every now and then so they remembered us and it worked well.

All in all a good ten days spent here, but there is not so much going on around, if you are a traveller who does not like to spend too much time in the hotel I would recommend somewhere else, but for relaxing this is a great hotel.

Also do not waste your money on the massages, the salt water pool is fun but it was not worth it. I had a man do mine which i found very uncomfortable and it was more of a rub down which was kind of displeasing, and he also had bad breath.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms. I would not waste my money on a sea view room here.
1  Thank JonathonCrane

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your review. We are going to forward both your critics and your compliments to our staff.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Stayed from the 8th may for two weeks, first impressions very good check in very relaxing and made easy. Rooms are a decent size but don't expect double or king size beds as most rooms are two singles. We personally found the food to be very bland even though we tried lots of different dishes, we love spices but could not understand why they were afraid to use them. Do not know why some people have rated the food as very good unless it was the numerous plates piled high with chips and pizza we saw every night. The staff are brilliant, mohammed in the bar is great and the pool guys namely ali and ezzerine are very helpful, daytime entertainment boys Are a laugh and work hard but sadly the evening entertainment is shockingly poor and as an adults only holiday you are left thinking they are trying to put you to sleep. Loved the staff, lovely hotel but need to sort food and entertainment out.

2  Thank Devonstewart
Ioana V, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your review about our Hotel. We are going to forward both your critics and your compliments to our staff.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Spent one week here from 12th - 19th May 2013. We booked with Thomas Cook, I recommend going to the welcome meeting as it is quite informative and very helpful for the quiz on the way to the Rep show if you choose to go. The rep show is a really good night and the buffet style meal is excellent, only down side is the bus journey, we were told about 45 minutes, which is true, after all the pick ups which took over an hour.
The rooms are lovely, very spacious and very clean. When we first arrived we were given room 122, when I entered the room it felt a bit pokey and smelt of stale smoke, we went to reception without unpacking and were given room 110 without any hassle, this was a much bigger room and far nicer than the first room.
The staff in the hotel were really nice the guy who makes the omelettes and fried eggs was always cheery (sorry I didn't get his name). The pool entertainment staff were very friendly we played French bowls with them every day which was a lot of fun Saif and Alex are the two who stood out for me as they were really good fun.
The pool area was excellent always clean and tidy and the bar and pool staff were continually collecting the tumblers. Plenty sunbeds. This is an adult only hotel, I have been to adult only with Thomas Cook before, which actually still had children as other countries tour operators allowed them, but this is definitely no children.
The evening entertainment is o k, but I would have preferred a singer or some dancing but that is just my personal taste.
The food is excellent, there is a vast choice in the main restaurant (breakfast and dinner) and the pool restaurant (lunch). There is a menu board outside the main restaurant which tells you what is being served is the International and the Tunisian restaurant each evening, you can use these restaurants as often as you like and although it is a set meal it is nice to be served for a change from buffet style. Both International and Tunisian restaurants had nice decor and atmosphere and good waiters.
Hotel is excellent if you are happy to be in the same place all the time, but this is typical for most of these all inclusive hotels no matter where you go. Shops are a 10 minute taxi drive away, I only went to Nabeul but wouldn't bother as all the shops are the same and you get lots of hassle.
We had a lovely week and would highly recommend the Sentido Aziza Hotel

1  Thank Jacqueline C

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your review and for recommending our Hotel. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Until then,

Reviewed 22 May 2013

Arrived here expecting a lot as we had stayed twice before in their sister hotel The Sentido Phenicia so if any of the review sounds negative it is because I couldn't help myself comparing it to The Phenicia.

Arrived around lunchtime check in was quick and easy, filled in the required form, collect our key and 2 mins after we got to our room our bags arrived.

Rooms are spacious and very clean, plenty of wardrobe space. People have previously complained about lack of hangers but there is plenty of shelf space in the wardrobes so I just folded my shirts and used the shelves...simple.

99% of the staff at the hotel were excellent just one or two exceptions and gave good service without being tipped first, we did all our tipping the day before we left.

Food: this is the area that fell short so I shall try to break it down into the good and the bad.

Breakfast was one of the poorest services I've ever had, in most hotels I've stayed in buffet breakfast is normally the best meal of the holiday as it is the easiest to get right. However! for some silly reason they do not have your normal 10 inch plates available, you have to place all your breakfast items on a 6 inch tea plate which is about big enough for your egg. I asked a member of staff why this was and was told it was hotel policy. Also the cook on the omelette station had a bit of a chip on his shoulder refusing to accept anyone's order unless they greeted him first, a gentleman in front of me asked for his omelette three times before the cook snapped at him "good morning, how are you". I know it is good manners to greet but I found his
attitude poor. Also this man needs to be taught how to cook eggs as he managed to dry out every on I had over the week, I even asked him to cook mine quickly and prompted him to turn
it over I got a curt NO.

Lunches were magnificent, on the show cooking sections over the week we had freshly grilled Steak, Fish, Chicken, Tuna, Squid etc. all fantastic and plenty of Tunisian dishes on the main section along with international favourites replenished regularly. A fantastic selection of fresh fruit including the most delicious strawberries I have ever had along with beautiful sorbet style ice cream and a selection of cakes and deserts.

Dinner was a little disappointing the food was not as tasty as lunchtime, was not replenished often enough and was mostly cold. The saving grace at dinner was our waiter Chaldi, he was always cheerful and friendly and always saw that our wine glasses were kept topped up.
How can they get it so right on one sitting and so wrong on another.

Entertainment was minimal but ok.

The large pool area was well kept and clean but guests were allowed to place towels on sunbeds then disappear for hours without using them. Pool towels are not provided as they do in the Phenicia but you have to pay a deposit of 10 dinar (£4) per towel. We paid our deposits and went to collect our towels but had to wait as they were not back from the wash, when they arrived they had seen better days I would say best take your own or buy a cheap one off the market.
The beach was poor, very small, no beach bar so if you wanted a drink you had walk back up the beach up the steps to the pool area then to the top end of the pool to the pool bar. The Phenicia had a private beach with dozens of sunbeds and parasols before you even got to the public beach.

Taxis park opposite the hotel and are very cheap, We used them to go to Yasmine Hammamet
and to Naboul on market day (Friday) for which we charged 10 dinar (£4) agree the price before you go. The market day in Naboul was well worth a trip they have a lot of goods made from olive wood which you pay a lot of money for in places like Corfu, we bought things that sold for £10 each in Corfu we got 4 for 12 dinar (£5) after a bit of haggling.

If you like a little stroll after dinner the streets round the hotel are very well lit and very safe, my wife and I did this most evenings without any fear. If you turn right out of the hotel on the opposite side of the road are some bar restaurants if you fancy a change from the hotel bar, you can get a bottle of Becks for between 3 & 4 (£1.50). and if you are a smoker follow the road up to the bend and use the first shop on the right. We bought our friend 6x200 cartons of Marlboro for 192 Dinar (£80) back home he pays over £70 for one carton.

To finish we had an enjoyable week with wonderful weather, the best sleep I've had for a long time, but if I was to return to Hammamet I think I would stay again at The Phenicia but not because there was anything major wrong with The Aziza just that The Phenicia has a slight edge due to the better food and bigger beach.

P.S. Don't expect any internet, the wi-fi is non existent.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, it's not worth paying extra for sea view as there isn't much of a sea vi...
1  Thank Jontyftm
Ioana V, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your detailed and comparative review. We are going to discuss the negative points you have mentioned with our staff in order to improve our service.
Neither the less, we hope to welcome you back in our Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Hotel - excellent condition and very clean.
Rooms - (the ones we saw) were to a very high standard and exceeded our expectations - no complaints atall.
Staff - Generally very friendy with some exceptions who were a bit "grumpy/miserable" but there was also a few who were oustanding and very polite, friendly and funny. Said-pool bar and Mahmood-restaurant were our favourites!.
Pool areas - Excellent and clean
Beach area - A few lucky lucky men selling items (possibly out of the hotels control) and the beach was a little untidy.
Food - Above average buffet stlye, with a choice of 2 other restaurants, please be aware though.. the other restaurants are only serving from a set menu every night, the menu changes daily.
Drinks - As everyone states below, the main problem with the entire hotel is that drinks will only be served to your table in the lobby bar and pub downstairs. This is sometimes frustrating as you can be waiting a while for a waiter to come over and take your order.
Entertainment- Day time is the animation team doing various holiday sports such as table tennis walking bowls golf darts. Night time is the usual all inclusive snake charmer, magician, belly dancer etc..
Overall exactly what you expect from an all inclusive holiday with the added bonus of excellent hotel rooms.
Not many trips on offer from the rep (Sam).
But we did do the Sahara trip which was okay, a bit too long as it is over 2 days including staying in another hotel for one night where the drinks are chargeable.

Tunisia itself is not what I expected, very run down out of the complex and evey single person expects "One Dinar" for something (or nothing)

When you land and are shown to your transfer coach do not let the "porter" snatch your case, He will take it to your coach but expects 1 english pound for the trouble.
it is not mandatorty.
This is all out of the hotels control but does affect the overall holidy.

Room Tip: Room 201 and 203 are excellent
1  Thank doncasterbob1

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and for the tips you have provided to other future guests. We are going to discuss both your positive comments and your critics with our staff.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experience.

Until the next time,