“Excellent holiday”

Ranked #11 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent holiday”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

This was my first time to Tunisia with my boyfriend and we are aged 21-22. We chose this hotel because it was good value for money and we fancied somewhere a bit different to the usual European summer destinations. I'd read many reviews before I went so was quite clued up on some points raised but still want to give my opinion on it all so I hope this is useful for anyone else planning to go to this hotel!

Location -

Like some of the reviews have said, the hotel is quite isolated in the sense that there is not much going on outside the hotel (apart from a few shops, one which can be found if you turn right out of the hotel and sells lovely gifts including leather goods - the prices are fixed and you therefore can't haggle but you don't get hassled. When we were walking to this shop we got stopped by one guy who wanted us to go into his father's shop which he said had only opened today, probably a lie but all part of the experience I guess!) However, my boyfriend rightly pointed out that everything you need is in the hotel and you have no reason to go out (although opportunities do exist to explore, see comments below). As another reviewer mentioned, Tunisia is not a developed country and so on the coach journey from the airport you will see run-down areas but some people just need to open their eyes as travellers!

Facilities - we stayed in room 321 which overlooked the pool (we had paid extra for this). Room was spacious, clean (maid service every day and they were very friendly) and was as expected.
Other rooms overlooked the road which I'm glad we didn't have as the view wasn't particularly appealing.

We spent every day down by the pool which, although a little chilly at first, was big enough to enjoy. There is also an indoor pool which a few people used as one of the days it did rain a bit in the afternoon (one other day was cloudy but apart from that was lovely and hot so don't let this put anyone off!)

As we're not big fans of the beach we didn't go and spend a day there but ventured down for a few pictures; there are some sun loungers and a beach bar (served water and soft drinks) and there were a few people walking up and down the beach selling excursions but they only spoke to me when I walked along the water so I doubt they're allowed to come up to where the loungers area.

There is also a 'games' area with table tennis, pool, air hockey and some arcade style games.

The Entertainment guys were great and would put on activities such as aqua aerobics, darts, table tennis, french boules, pilates and Zumba. I took part in aqua aerobics which was good fun (although didn't really leave me out of breath so don't expect anything too vigorous!) I must give a special mention to Ghazi who organises the discovery walks. He has an obvious interest in the local area (I believe he grew up and lives in Hammamet) and we went on the walk on our last day which took us to the palace of the ex President which is used in the summer. It was good to get out of the hotel on a short tour (hour and a half) where I felt safe as don't think I would want to be wandering around on my own/with my boyfriend. Ghazi was to do a different walk the next day to keep things interesting...it was just a shame that we missed it.

Food -
We both ate so much food on this holiday that I'm surprised we haven't come home 3 stone heavier! Breakfast was buffet and offered hot and cold foods (fruit, toast, cereals, cooked breakfasts etc) and was plentiful. Lunch was served in the restaurant by the pool which had an area that overlooked the beach and this again was buffet. I really enjoyed lunch and never got bored with the options; there is pizza and chips to cater for the fussiest of eaters but I think it's always great to try all the different food on offer, such as the Tunisian dishes.

We also ate in the Tunisian restaurant one night. You have to book this and the International restaurant the day before but there is no limit to how many times you can eat in there. The Tunisian restaurant was surprisingly quiet but really enjoyable as it is waiter service and we had four courses and a bottle of wine. The other nights we ate in the buffet restaurant which was good and the lovely waiter Mahmood made sure we had the same table each night and he, along with all the other waiters, were always making sure you had your drinks topped up so we certainly never went hungry or thirsty!

Some things to comment on:

Lumpy pillows - I was a bit concerned about this after reading some reviews on here and they were a bit lumpy but not really uncomfortable.

The person that gave the hotel 1 out of 5 - how can you do this?! There is no way this hotel can be given 1 out of 5 in any circumstances.

Reserving sunbeds round the pool - this was a little bit annoying and seemed that if you tipped the pool guy well then he would make sure beds were reserved. We ended up getting up at 6.30am to put our towels down so we had a good spot!

Would we go back? Probably not as I don't like going back to the same hotel twice but this is on no part reflective of the hotel and this was great and thoroughly deserves its 5 out of 5 rating!

5 Thank stacyjo91
Ioana V, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your comments, your opinion is important to us. It is good to know that you enjoyed your holiday in our Hotel and hope to welcome you back one day.

SENTIDO Aziza Beach Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We picked Aziza Beach Tunisia for a couple of reasons. The amount of sun, the large pool and it being adult only. We thoroughly enjoyed our week and it met all our expectations. We stayed for 7 nights in May 2013. The daytime 'entertainment' staff were fabulous. I tried a couple of activities but wasn't hassled to join in everything. We especially enjoyed the guided walks led by Ghazi who was very knowledgeable about the local area, traditional architecture and horticulture. We were also taken out on the catamaran which was thrilling! (An activity that we heard about whilst at the hotel from another guest. It wasn't advertised). The water quality in the pool was excellent and tested daily. The food was excellent with a wide variety of choices, drinks were plentiful and of a good quality all served by very attentive pleasant waiters. The room was made up everyday and was clean and spacious. Our only negative comment would be that the Wifi needs upgrading in the hotel to give better access/service.

Room Tip: We requested a high floor and sea view which we got. If I was to return I would request a pool view...
9 Thank A8M2D
Ioana V, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your review. We are glad to know that you’ve enjoyed your holiday in our Hotel and hope to welcome you back another time.

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stayed at the Aziza for two weeks from 17th May 2013, very surprised at some of the negative comments described by some people. Staff were excellent the pool guys were fabulous. The three entertainment guys were amazing. My husband did the Discovery walks with Ghazi and thoroughly enjoyed it. The only negative I can think of are the Birds flying round the Buffet restaurant and the lunch Barbecue probably not too hygienic. Lovely relaxing 2 weeks miss being waited on. Hotel as spotlessly clean. Will go back again.

Room Tip: Pool and sea view rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank 46Maureen

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Lovely hotel with good facilities. Excellent rooms, except for the very lumpy pillows! Good choice of food and would recommend trying the International restaurant. Staff were fabulous could not do enough for you, especially Ghazi who acts as a guide on a daily walk (Nordic walking!) of the surrounding area. Entertainment by the pool was fun and not intrusive if you did not want to join in. Yoga, Aqua Aerobics, Zumba, Crazy Darts a good variety. Spa was good, treatments were fab though there was a lot of confusion over appointment times and a little unorganised, however the manager had only been there for two weeks.

Only downside was the rubbish hair dryer, lack of wifi and pool man requesting a tip on our last day. As I was thanking him for the sun bed he had got for me he said "as today is your last day thank you is not enough I want a tip/money". We had already sorted out a tip for him as it was our last day because the service had been excellent all week but he was intimidating and quite rude so he lost out. Would definitely go back and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank HJJ26
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your review and for recommending our Hotel. We will forward both your negative and your positive comments to our staff.

Looking forward to welcoming you back,
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Stayed for 9 Nights in May and was on my own. Food reely good and staff out of this world. 3 bars to choose from so just pick one you like. Very clean rooms and mine 301 looked over pool and beach and was a sun trap in the early morning 6am onward sat out. I am looking at going back in August - September I think but will return. Not a lot outside the hotel a few shops and coffee houses but just sit with the locals drinking coffee. If you want to go out taxis right ouside hotel to take you were you want for £2 or so for the bars shopping etc. Walk on the beach or sit by the pool and grab a beer. Can't wait to gop back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Ern13
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. We are looking forward to welcome you back this year and hope to offer you an even better time.

Until then,
Braunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed at the Sentido Aziza for our honeymoon in May 2013. We booked it thought Thomas Cook, who, as I am a Travel Agent greatly exceeded my expectations, and looked after us wonderfully. This hotel is a spa hotel, and is focused on rest and relaxation, therefore it is out of the resort and there are no nightclubs or the equivlient of 'Britain abroad' and people that want that type of holiday should either stay at home or go elsewhere. The hotel was lovely, nicely decorated, the staff couldn't do enough for you, and the pool area was peaceful with the occasional session of water aerobics. The food was also very good, plenty of choice, however some of it is Tunisian, as your in Tunisia! But I never ate the same thing twice and always went back for more, as it was all very tastey. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, it was a little bit of luxury for us. we got upgraded to a suite, as we were on our honeymoon, which was great. People who expect any more than this for the price you are paying are being unreasonable, and unrealistic. And I would like to see this kind of service in England, as you wouldn't get it! As a travel agent I am extremely fussy about where I stay on my holidays, and I didn't want to leave this hotel, and I would go back again any day. it was a friendly atmosphere and you can definitely escape reality here. People who want chips for their dinner, pubs in the evening and and 18-30's clientele should go to Benidorm! Tunisia is not like England, it has a different culture which I find very interesting with all of the excursions on offer. If your looking for a week away with nice food, friendly service and a good standard of accommodation and facilities, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a sea view or a suite then do, it's well worth the extra money!
7 Thank K R
Ioana V, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your kind review and for choosing the Sentido Aziza Hotel for your honeymoon. We are very glad that you have enjoyed staying with us and hope to welcome you back for your future holidays in Tunisia.

Until then,
birmingham
Reviewed 30 May 2013

just returned on 25th may after ten days holiday there i found the the food of very good quality and plenty of choice the bar staff very friendly and the service was good espacially inthe pub downstairs and the lobby bar the rooms very spacious and clean we had room 118 which faces the village not the best view in the world but if you want some late afternoon sun it was stunning , not a lot to outside the hotel but taxis are very cheap so you can get about easly ten dinars eachway to the marina as far as wearing jewlery outside only common sense tells you what to do we had no bother at all

8 Thank rogerbateman06
Ioana V, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Aziza Beach Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your review. It is good to know that you have enjoyed staying with us.

Until next time,