“Nothing Special”

Ranked #47 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
Newport
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The all inclusive was a joke, we were told by staff at the beach that we had to pay for the food so we didn't bother because the food should of been included with the all inclusive which we found out was the case when the useless rep went done & told them. The food that was served all tasted the same & gave me a bad stomach, no different to any inclusive I had so no point complaining about it.
The staff at reception were absolutely useless & they tried to kick us out of our room at 12:00 in the afternoon, even though we weren't leaving until 11:00 at night, we hadn't even stayed the full 7 days that we payed for because we got there 3:00 in the morning on a Monday & was leave 11:00 at night on the Sunday.
The animation team were creeps, one in particular, the tall man who normally host the water polo constantly bothered the younger girls, even pinching one of their back sides & trying to get them to do one of the rude entertainment games with him. He knew that I had noticed & helped take my bags to the coach when I was leaving because he wanted me out of there so I couldn't tell no one.
The bar staff at the hotel were terrible, taking forever to serve everyone & would always go to the women even though they'd only just got there.
The Rep was awful, he was no help at all, he sold us the 3 in 1 deal (costing £180 for a family of 5) to go to a village, a zoo & to go on a pirate ship, you're at the village for 20 minutes, you just go in a rubbish cafe & you get some pop. You're at the zoo for 2 hours, the zoo itself wasn't the best, the Animals were too far away to see & to feed them the animals you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money. For the pirate ship you are promised a 3 course meal, plenty to drink & a good time. We only had rice, sausages & fish, one small cup of coke & a awful time. The boat was packed, my mum was with my sister by the window, looking out to the sea when this Tunisia woman put her kids next to my mum actually told her to get up, my mum said no so the woman actually sit on her & tried to push her off the bench, so yeah I would not recommend this awful trip. We got a full refund from the rep as well as everyone else who were tricked into buying it, on my last night when I went to the bar I saw the rep selling this deal to this couple the exact way he sold it to us. Even promising a 3 course meal again.
So to conclude I don't recommend anyone wasting there hard earn money on this hotel, avoid it. Everything bad said by other reviewers is true. Not them just being tight or too picky, it is this awful, anyone who enjoyed it are too easily pleased or it was their first holiday abroad.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Studentabroad1997

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was our first time in Tunisia so I went with an open mind. I will try to be objective, but at the same time as honest as possible.

If you have already booked this hotel, don't panic if you can’t change it, it’s not the worst place in the world, but there are MUCH MUCH better places..it’s a bit tired and clearly shows a lack of investment by the current owners in some key areas.

On first arriving at the hotel the scenery as we approached the site was a little disconcerting. Having driven through Jasmine Hammamet, the purpose built seaside resort a little way down the coast, and seeing some of the lovely hotels and sights near there, arriving here in Hammamet was a big disappointment. The exterior of the hotel looks a little tired, and beyond the gates of the hotel, some of the streets look like a warzone! However the porter who came and took our luggage, and the lady behind reception were pleasant enough and smiled. We were booked in and taken up to our room on the third floor. The room itself was a decent size, and we were shown the bathroom, the TV, the balcony and the aircon was switched on. On closer examination of the room after the porter left (he wanted a tip before he left, more on that later) it was quite shabby, the tiles in the bathroom were cracked and the grouting was dirty. There was a strange smell in the WC (which lingered all week), some of the electrical fittings were cracked and broken, particularly the balcony light, which was just hanging on its wires. The main dressing table varnish was covered in burnt in cup rings and looked like it had been there for several seasons. The TV reception was awful, but that did not bother me, we never had the TV on..We had paid extra for a sea view, but the way the hotel is laid out, and the amount of trees etc between us and the sea, that was a waste of money, there are no rooms in this hotel that would have a sea view unless you hang out over the balcony and look left or right depending where your room is...certainly not from inside the room as shown in the brochure! That MUST have been photo-shopped!! The Air con unit was incredibly noisy and a couple of times in the night I had to get up and switch it off. Fortunately, despite the noise, it did actually keep the room cool.

There are NO safes in the rooms, and when we did get one, it was very small. Large enough for papers and passports but not big enough for larger items, such as a camera or a laptop. There are not enough safes for one per room, so get one early if you can.

The bar area is quite small, and although air conditioned it was always smoky (no smoking ban here!) so I stayed out of it as much as possible. They do have a much larger bar area behind reception that was never used whilst we were there despite the hotel being busy. It is only used for welcome meetings, which is a shame. There were a couple of video arcade games for the kids, a pool table, and a table tennis table, but again we never used them. The 'all inclusive' bar service consists of one local beer, which was ok, three local wines, Red, White and Rose and a very limited choice of three or four local spirits, with mixers such as Coke, Fanta, Sprite, or a local version of slush in two flavours. Most of the bar staff speak some English, but some of them were a little surly and often mixed up the drinks, watch out for alcohol getting into your kids drinks as this happened a couple of times. Now, here is the important bit, unlike the advert and the pictures in the brochure THERE IS NO POOL BAR, the structure is there and is clearly seen in the pictures, but they only use it to set up the music for the pool activities. The sunbeds around the pool are pretty limited in numbers, and there was a daily fight to get your towels on them before they were all gone, seven thirty AM and you were not getting one!!. Be warned that we had towels stolen from off the sunbeds and there is a roaring trade selling them over the wall by the pool ( this leads onto a public road that accesses the beach!), so use the hotel towels if you want yours back. The poolside tables were disgusting and I never saw them wiped down once in the week we were there! In general, cleaning seemed to be a bit hit and miss, especially in the outside areas, our room even had sand on the floor for three days that was not swept up.

When we were there they had a photographer on site taking what were clearly going to be advertising pictures for the hotel. They set up several shots around the hotel, none of which represent the reality of staying there. One of them involved three scantily clad girls enjoying fabulously coloured cocktails, whilst sitting in the pool, they moved several very irate tourists away from this area while they were setting up this shot, and were positively rude to them in the process! The cocktails that the girls were seen enjoying are NOT on the bar menu.

Another shot was taken in the outside dining area, and showed all pretty flowers laid on the tables, impressive! However the reality was this, when you finished eating, the waiters would brush the crumbs off the table cloth and immediately seat somebody else on there, usually without changing the table cloth unless it was really dirty, there were no flowers on the tables ever.. There were a family of about six wild kittens that were always running about the external dining area, often they would climb up on the tables and take food off the plates of people who had left, and the waiters did nothing to shoo them away. Now you may be a cat lover and think this is ok, but these cats are wild, and could be carrying any sort of disease... who knows.

The food, There were highs and lows. Previously there have been complaints about the food, so they have tried to make it more acceptable to English tourists. Breakfast was usually ok but there were only two choices of cereal, and they were both hard. We had no kids with us, but be warned. There was usually a decent selection of continental breakfast stuff, but most of the cheeses looked a bit dried up, despite covering them with cling film. There was a chef making fresh omelettes, fried eggs or crepes with chocolate so overall not too bad. The toaster did not work unless you held it down, and the less said about the wiring to it the better, keep your toddlers where you can see them! The coffee machine was awful, I love coffee, but this was disgusting...

Lunch and Dinner was a bit hit and miss, sometimes there was a decent selection and other days the meat and vegetables were very un-appetising. If you like whole fish, chicken on the bone, and stringy beef, or Salads you will be ok, but by midweek I was desperate for a decent meal so we went out. The best meal we had was the day they did fresh beef burgers, cooked on a griddle in front of you...says it all really. We only had Ice cream three times, but there was fresh melon every day...and the cake selection was pretty much the same every day too. on a scale of 1 to 10, the food would get a 4. We found a superb pub in Jasmine Hammamet run by an English lady and went there twice for some proper food. Its called "The Rovers Return Inn" (honest) and was a ten Dinar taxi ride from the Regency (agree the price before you get in the taxi!!!). Prices were comparable to an English pub meal, and the choice was varied. We had two great meals here, thoroughly recommended! (and No, I don't expect to get English food when I go abroad, but I do expect it to be edible, and well presented!)

The beach... is lovely, and the water was really clear. The beach bar however is more limited that the hotel bar. Even though we were all inclusive, the only alcohol at the beach bar was draught beer, no shorts or wine. Soft drinks were Coke sprite or Fanta, and you could only have water by the glass they would not give you a bottle (they did up at the hotel) There are plenty of sunbeds at the beach, although a lot of them are very tatty, and you can’t alter the backrest on them as they are mainly broken. A cushion for the sunbeds at the beach will cost you 3 dinar a day (they are free at the pool side) , and the bloke who collects the money was a bit surly and not very friendly..The beach sellers are a bit persistent, especially the one selling jewellery, so be polite but be as persistent as them when you say no, mean it! We did buy some fruit off one, and it was ok, if a bit overpriced. Watch out for the guys riding past on camels, they are very smiley and happy, but they have a habit of picking the kids up, putting them on the camel, walking them up the beach and then asking for the money...bit naughty I think..

Animations team. Nice lads, very limited repetoire....Zumba, darts, aqua-aerobics, beach volleyball, water-polo...every day. Evening entertainment was as limited as the day time, and there really was nothing for kids of any age. Most of the teenagers were sitting in reception trying to get on the limited WIFI to update Facebook, Twitter etc..

Indoor Pool, AVOID AT ALL COSTS. There is no supervision in this area, the gratings around the pool are all broken leaving gaping holes a foot deep that a child could easily break a leg if they fell in. (the outside pool ones are not much better, but they started replacing these the week we were there.) The water is dirty, with debris clearly visible on the pool bottom, it looks un-maintained, God knows when the chlorine levels were last checked. The whole place looks shabby, and one person in our party developed an ear infection the day they went in this indoor pool, it may be un-related, but I would not be too sure.

The TRIPS and BEAUTY TREATMENT sellers in the hotel. They see new tourists as fresh meat to the slaughter and are in your face the minute they spot you. Again be polite, but firm, once they realised I was not buying they used to just wave and smile. I know they have a job to do, but they will try anything to get you to go on the trip. 'special offers', 'it will all be booked up tomorrow' etc etc...all nonsense, they just want a sale.

On the beach there is a selection of activities, para-sailing, jet skis, banana boats, etc. these seemed popular and we did have a go on a jet ski, which was good fun.

Would I go back to Tunisia, yes.
Would I stay in this hotel again? No, Never.
(but the Riu Mahaba (spelling?) next door looks excellent compared to the Regency!)
The staff were mainly friendly, the service was average at best, and the overall quality was poor.
The Holiday was made enjoyable by the company we met, not the hotel.
Value for money? Overall the weather and the company we met (you know who you are!) made this just about good value.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike L

Travellers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Sheffield
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Great location a couple of minutes walk from the beach. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, modern and clean.
The entertainment was ok.
The food was good for what you get in an all inclusive .
All in all a fantastic holiday and great value for money

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank AJ_sheffield
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We arrived on our relaxing family holiday & it turned to a nightmare within minutes!!
Thomas Cook booked us the wrong type room & wouldn't change us to what we wanted. The rep was so unhelpful telling me the only way to sort it was to pay another £600 and deal with it when I got home he then walked out of the hotel. The food was appalling - the fresh option for breakfast was omelet or fried eggs and if you asked for them to be cooked any way other than raw the chef wasn't impressed. Pastries we're dried out, bread hard & cereal soggy. The continental cart had dried out meats & salads on it. Lunch & dinner time had more choice but it was all spinach based, chips that had been sat in the deep fat fryer for days on end or dried out alternative, the freshly made option was bolognaise sauce with either, pasta twists, shells or spaghettit and pizza. There was no no kids choices which is something I've never seen before!

The kids pool had a slide that had a massive crack in it and a child injured herself on it. The sides of the pool was falling apart & big gaps which children kept falling down. The big pool had poo in it one day which was delightful. The lifeguard was lovely, got us sunbeds each day & had full control over the pool & poolside & helped people out in the water when needed.

The restaurant waiters are lovely, really friendly and went out of there way to speak to us at each meal. It's a shame they got treated badly by management.

Animation team again are lovely, Momo, Yaseem & one my 3 year old nicknamed Rasta-mouse (the chap with dreadlocks) were amazing, they came to speak to us every day and put on activities for adults only. Every day they was in the pool and took time to play with the children, they took my son off and had him on shoulders swimming around and jumping them in the pool - they are awesome. We asked them to put on kids disco's in the evening which they did 3 times but only as we asked for it - the management spoke to them all like rubbish & didn't interact with anyone, he was rude and arrogant and I don't know how they put up with it.

Bar staff wasn't the best - they'd ask what you wanted then continue to clear up pots. The didn't wash any glasses in the bar area, just rinsed them in the sink and then made you a drink without properly cleaning them. One of the men was very rude & blatantly ignored us waiting.

I don't normally leave reviews but feel that I have to leave this one as I would hate for anyone to go through what we did. It has totally destroyed our family. They DO NOT have 2 bedroom apartments they only have twin, double, triple and family rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Carla M
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Not long back from a week at this hotel. Its a 4* on their scale and some things are 4* level but there are some things that let it down.

I went with my girlfriend and her son. Upon arrival we were greated by very friendly staff and made to feel welcome, had a bit of a wait for the room to be ready but that was partly down to us getting a private transfer and arriving earlier than expected.

The room its self was massive with an ok size bathroom. We were on the 4th floor over looking the pool and a slight sea view. The room was clean and presented nicely although you could tell the room had recently been decorated however the attention to detail was very poor such as the grouting between the tiles in the bathroom looked as though jimmy age 5 had done it and also he must have been let loose with the task of putting the tv on the wall as it wasn't exactly the straightest of things. The sink was blocked but i think that had something to do with previous guests as 2 olives decided to float their way up to the surface and im guessing it wasn't the staff that put them in there. Can't fault the cleaners the bedding was changed daily along with the towels and it was always left in a good state.

Food was really good especialy if you dont mind trying new things. Yes the food is tunisian/french which people in previous reviews moaned about but suprisingly enough you are in tunisia. If you want to go on holiday and eat english food then go to butlins. They could have done with a bit more child friendly meals such chicken without the bones. The waiters are fantastic and really can't do enough for you and you never see them without a smile really made it pleasant to eat there.

Pool was always clean and of a not to bad size although lacked sun loungers when it got busy later in the week after more guests arrived but there are more at the private beach which is right on the doorstep so all is not lost. The life guard is amazing and was on the ball the whole time we were there, twice we witnessed him cover the length of the pool to rescue the same child who fell in before she even hit the water (wont rant about the parents as that was a different matter) but all i can say is i was amazed at how well he kept an eye on every 1 and everything going on.

Anamation crew were fantastic during the day putting on little games of water polo and zumba to keep every 1 amused, always coming over for friendly chats and a laugh and very helpful. Watch out for max and momo the pair of them are as mad as a box of frogs always make you laugh and very friendly. The evening entertainment isn't too bad but lacked organization and didnt start untill pretty late and could have done with being out side to utilize the space rather than trying to cram it in side the court yard. Max and bj's dirty dancing and bodyguard routines are worth a watch.

Limited selection of drinks at the bar and thier cocktail making skills need a bit of work but they were drinkable most the time. Yes the beer is served in small glasses but you can go to the bar as many times as you like so who cares.

All in all not a bad up and coming hotel. If they put right the little things that let it down it will be a fantastic hotel.

Would i go back? Yes i would because the staff made the hotel and made it enjoyable. A holiday is what you make of it and if you're just a misserable sod any way then there is no pleasing you but if you turn up for a good time then that is what you will have.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank Scott G
United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just returned from a week all inclusive at Regency hotel. We travelled as a couple an on arrival were greeted by friendly helpful staff. Had a lovely room over looking the pool, very clean tidy and spacious. Couldn't fault it at all.
The food was typical all inclusive food with a great variety to choose from. Pizzas were gorgeous as was the local ice cream with some very interesting flavours. Staff in the dining hall couldn't do enough for you and were there to replenish drinks as your glass emptied.
Pool area was smaller than expected and when we were there the hotel was at complicity which meant there weren't any beds available at 7am. This was frustrating but there was always the beach with beds. (Pool bar wasn't in use which was a huge waste)
The beach was gorgeous, lots of beds and umbrellas. Beach bar serving free drinks but meals had to b paid for and were only served at lunchtime which was a little disappointing would have been lovely in the evening.
There is only 1 bar in use which at height of season wasn't really enough. But staff worked as quick as they could and there was never a shortage of drinks.
Entertainment was very entertaining although they could do with relocating as not alot of room for all guests to participate. The animation team were amazing and did a fantastic job all week.
On summing up we found this to be a good hotel which looks like its started to be updated. A few more simple changes could make it in to a brilliant hotel. Staff were very attentive and friendly. We got what we expected for the price.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 348Denise1970
Mansfield
Reviewed 5 August 2014

we decided to have a 'last minute' holiday. We had been to Tunisia before, so went again and really enjoyed it. A small hotel so nice and quiet. We went all inclusive, and as I'm a 'fussy eater' [my husbands words] I was surprised that the food was so good, the room was very nice. the staff friendly but not overbearing.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, with a sea view and it was lovely.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple