“The WORST Hotel I've Ever Visited”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Dalia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hammamet
Hotel Dalia
Ranked #113 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
London
“The WORST Hotel I've Ever Visited”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

This hotel is the very worst I have ever stayed in. Granted it was cheap and that should have been a warning. When I arrived, they had no record of my booking and took twenty minutes to find my details (I booked through AlphaRooms.com). I was taken to my room, down some stairs into what seemed like a dingy basement area, past a kind of display of dead plants, twigs and cigarette butts, to a dark and slightly smelly room. When the 'porter' dumped the bags, and I closed the door I found a large cockroach on the floor, on its back wriggling its legs. I immediately complained to reception, and was moved to another room, thankfully lighter and cleaner.

I had booked half board,and so breakfast and evening meal was included. Breakfast consisted of a hard boiled egg, a yoghurt, a processed cheese triangle, and a pre-packed muffin. This did not change, and the same sorry meal was sat waiting on the table every morning. I decided to buy fresh croissants and made my own coffee with the kettle I took with me. The evening meal did change nightly but was very poor indeed. The first night was a tray of soggily cooked potato chunks, and some grilled bits of chicken. That was it. The second night was some pasta in a watery tomato sauce and some supicious grilled fish.

The room was not clean, hairs in the bathroom, all kinds of dirt and muck encrusted around the bath. At least the air conditioning worked. Outside the terrace doors was a small crazy golf area, unused, and filled with brick rubble. There was a private beach for the hotel, but the entrance was about a twenty minute walk along the adjacent street, down a dry river bed and then back along the beach past the private beaches of the more expensive hotels, until you reach a ten foot wide strip with three pairs of broken beach beds and a sign hanging from the parasol saying' Hotel Dalia, private parasol'. The beach was crowded and loud, and full of screeching children from the hotels either side.

There is a pool at the hotel, thankfully a not too unpleasant one, which seemed fairly clean. But no sooner had I setled down on a lounger, than the pool filled up with screaming local children, who spent their time constantly jumping and diving into the pool while yelling at the top of their voices. This is not conducive to a peaceful doze by the pool. Apparently the hotel owners let their friends and neighbours use the pool. I knew they were not paying guests as there were only approximately 8 people staying there.

The hotel staff were completely unhelpful and unresponsive. If you had a question or problem they'd roll their eyes and mumble some answer and go back to wtaching the tv or reading their newspaper. One morning when there was a power-cut they just shrugged and turned their backs when I tried to complain.

I have read other reviews here, and they are either very good or excruciatingly bad. I suspect the good ones have been written by hotel staff, as the quality of the written English is appalling.

If you want a peaceful and enjoyable holiday DO NOT stay at this dump. I do not know how they can get away with what they do. Book elsewhere, hopefully spend a bit more money and go for one of the better class of hotels, who will appreciate your custom.

Incidentally, if you are planning a first trip to Tunisia be aware of the following...

I first visited Tunisia, specifically Hammamet around 25-30 years ago, and went back frequently for some years, having found the town utterly enchanting and very friendly. I have just come back from a week's trip, hoping to recapture the magic of those times, and to see again somewhere that held a special place in my heart. But I was very disappointed. Hammamet has grown like a monster, too many new buildings, many many thousands more people and cars, and its friendly nature has disappeared and been replaced with a selfish, grasping, greedy side.

This trip was so very different from my previous ones. As I wandered around I was constantly assailed by shouts from men... 'Hello!! English?' Or more frequently 'Hello, you remember me? I am chef in your hotel.' This last one a blatant lie to try and engage me in conversation, and thus to try and get money out of me one way or another.

As I tried to walk around the Medina and quietly browse the shops I was CONSTANTLY greeted with an outstretched hand, and asked if I was German. If I took the hand of a handsome lad then I was physically pulled into the shop and my way was barred if I tried to leave. The greed was so ugly, and their desire to not let a 'rich' tourist out of their sight before they had fleeced them out of as much cash as possible was overwhelming. I ended up walking with my head down, as quickly as possible, to avoid the intense barrage of calls. This is a very unpleasant side of Hammamet life, something I never experienced in the mid-eighties. You should be aware and prepared for this.

Room Tip: If you must stay here go for a room on a higher floor to avoid being stuffed away in the grubby, din...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Sam S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Rzeszow, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

Holidays in the Hotel Dalia were very successful considering the price for what they have been purchased. I have no zatrzeżen, tasty food (the argument from montonne rather exaggerated-this country is desert so where are all the more these delicacies?;)) climate cools from 15-9 in the morning, I liked the plaza, the animation did not go so I can not them rate, hotleowe rooms meet the basic needs, clean. If someone does not need a luxurious there is nothing he will not be lacking.
I recommend: families with children, people who value peace, economic clients

St Petersburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

The hotel is not far from beach(10 minutes by feet) one side of the windows is on the road, another – to the yard with beautiful pool.
Concerning food in the hotel the variety is very poor. We have the same food for breakfast throughout vacation, but what can I say – every day had fresh fruits.
We didn’t like the animation program, cause it was very poor( just aqua-aerobics in the morning), at the same stuff was very friendly, especially waters. I liked professional skills of senior administrator, his English was very good.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ksenia_Ivanova
Galway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

Just back from this god forsaken dump of a hotel, what can i say to get you to avoid this place
The day after we arrived we were told by the Sunway rep that we picked the cheap hotel when we asked if we could possible look at another room.
The staff are terrible, (rolling their eyes at reception cause you asked for extra pillows), there was never anyone around when you wanted anything & the rooms were dirty (pubic hair all over the place when we checked in). The bed was made of concrete with a mattress that was about 20 years old (like sleeping on a lumpy rock) the pillows were terrible so lumpy that most of the guests were not using them .
The entertainment (cabaret act) was like watching a car cash (look it up on u-tube, do a search for Hotel Dalia)
When we arrived there was about 80 Tunisian teenagers (school tour) staying at the hotel who took over the entire place, they left the dining room in a mess, took over the pool the boys were constantly Perving on my girlfriend (Constantly Staring).
the second week was not much better cause the place was full of Arabic men who were worse than the teenage boys.
This is not only a dump of a hotel, but a dump of a country (rubbish dumped everywhere outside of the city), do not go, save yourself the horror.

I think that some of the people that have put in the other reviews must be working for the hotel.... cause we went there base on review put in on trip adviser and everyone we spoke to in the hotel from Ireland was glad to be going home just to get out of this hotel.

This is my first time ever advising people not to go to a country, I usually do not review hotels or countries but this was such a horror that I felt compelled.

Have a nice Holiday

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BMCHGalway

Travellers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

The hotel is very basic , some guess had dirty bath rooms , some on the second day was asked for a tip by the hse keeper ??, you will find you are 1/2 mile from the beach (which agin is ok) there is better beaches but this is a taxi ride away (saying that is only 5 or 6 d.......less then 5 euro)The indoor pool had dead insects and had not been clean for a number of mths ,we complained to the sunworld rep (sue who was on the ball and informed the hotel about the poor standards.saying that the staff at the hotel like the charle or eddie (bar man) made the hoilday , the night shows were very poor ,clarlie made the bingo nights very funny that was the best the hotel had to offer, the food needs to be brought up a few standards ( fish or paste,,,,,some times there was some type of pork dish,)the breakfast was again ham hard boiled eggs & bread, and juices,we brought our own beer & sprits with usas there are limited on imported drinks.the people of Tunsia are very frindly , and helpfully always have a smile , we would go back to TUNISA but to a better hotel ,last thing make sure any gold you buy has 2 stamps (id)and you get cert with it ,some people got taken for a ride the fingers went green by the end of the week(not gold)

Mayo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

Positives: (1) Spacious room & balcony (2) Tasty food, albeit limited choice (we were half-board) (3) Very nice waiters in dining room & bar (4) Lots of Irish guests
Negatives: (1) Grounds of hotel poorly maintained (2) Air conditioning didn't work - just moved air around (3) Brochure says its only 150 km to beach but guests of Dalia have to use the public access which is a 10/15 minute walk (4) No day time activities despite notice board having timetable for water-aerobics, volleyball, water polo, stretching etc.
General: We got a very good prive for 2 weeks half-board and we got value for money - I think this may have been a start of season incentive because it now appears that its only B & B being offered. I would only return if I got exceptional value.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2009

Rooms, food, facilities all very basic but more than adequate considering what you pay. The entertainment is very amateur but great because they put so much effort in that you can't help but enjoy it and get involved. The staff are (almost) all very friendly. Mealtimes were a bit like feeding time at the zoo, but that was to do with the other guests rather than the hotel itself. Any negative comments will probably be from people complaining about other guests or people who expected far too much for their money.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple