“Animation staff were fantastic” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of L'Ecrin Sandra Club

L'Ecrin Sandra Club
Ranked #84 of 123 Hotels in Hammamet
Manchester
“Animation staff were fantastic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Hotel was tired and needs attention. The food was acceptable. The staff were great, attentive and very friendly. The animation staff made our holiday brilliant. Special mention goes to Fares and Fatuta. The dj was superb and the whole team worked so hard to make everyone feel included and welcome. Thank you guys. Big love karen and mark

• Stayed September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank chubbyandproud

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
wolverhampton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel 24 sept /06 oct 2013 changed first room because it was filthy and smelt. Shower curtain mouldy, tiles black mould, top missing off tap full of gung, edge of tap sharp kept catching my finger on it. Towels smelt vile. On the landing trays off food where left for days. The toilet by the pool didn't flush so you can imagine the smell. The other toilets a block of 3. 1 didn't have a light the whole time we where there. Hardly ever any toilet roll and very rarely any soap. The maids spent a lot of time making hearts or swans out of the towels or sheets. Also putting flowers on the bed, which looked very nice but if they put as much effort in the cleaning the place would of been spotless. The person on the desk didn't give me the right amount money when he exchanged it for me because I didn't ask for a receipt. When I went back later and asked for a receipt and my extra money he didn't even say sorry. The food was edible but not very nice although when we complained we had a special meal cooked for us which was lovely. The waiting staff where very helpful. I had to complain one morning because every table was filthy and they didn't have any clean tablecloths. Some of the other guests were rude pigs. One woman thought it was ok to eat food out of the the trays off the serving spoon and put the spoon back in the tray. i also saw somebody pit in the pool. The pool area wasnt very clean. My partner was mugged outside the hotel at 2 in the afternoon. The police were very good, but we were vary about going out after that. We have had a stomach bug for over a week not sure what has caused it . We didn't pay a great deal for this hotel but some people did. It's not a lot to expect it to be clean. I would never go again to the hotel. Or In fact to the country. It was awful.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kazsmith

Travellers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Sevenoaks
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Firstly this was my 3rd trip to Tunisia and 2nd to the Yasmine, I am open to the different cultures, food, political problems etc so the country itself does not put me off in any way, my previous 2 trips one to The Sol Azur and the second to The Chich Khan were amazing... this hotel however would if you have never visited Tunisia before put you off for life... We booked for 2 weeks and ended up moving after 1 week which had we not had family who live in Hammamet we would not have been able to do.

We were given 2 interconnecting rooms as we had our 7 year old daughter in with us and my son who is 17 and his friend in the adjoining room, it was dark when we arrived and the reception staff were brilliant, the porter showed us to our rooms which at first seemed dated but clean, I can live with that for a fortnight I thought, we went for breakfast and was met with what can only be described as feeding time at a zoo, I have never in my life met so many rude / arrogant / greedy individuals, add to that food that wasn't even suitable for the scum of the earth type and you should get an idea of what it was like ... Never any clean plates / cutlery, people didn't queue and were constantly barging you, on one occasion a middle aged lady snatched my daughters plate from her hand as there were no clean plates and proceeded to use if for herself .... We decided after 2 days that we were better off eating out, we found a reasonable sandwich restaurant not far and found the animation team even go there for lunch, despite free food being a perk of their job, or not !! Tunisia itself is so cheap in comparison to Europe so self catering would not be an issue, especially if you are booked into this hotel .... There is only 1 bar to accommodate the whole hotel and they are totally understaffed, the all inclusive drinks were a joke, often served up in dirty glasses .... The restaurant staff liked only the people who tipped its as simple as that, I like to tip as they work incredibly hard for very poor wages so I can see how the whole All Inclusive change in Tunisia has affected them.

The pool!!! My daughter would swim all day every day given the chance, not here though as after 4 days she contracted an ear infection, turns out the pool doesn't get cleaned / treated daily as it should, I think Wednesday's was the set day for this, utterly appalling considering any hotels with an English company affiliated have to do this daily (This hotel is currently run by a Polish company, hence the influx in Eastern Europeans, whom I might point out along with Algerians have zero manners ) She ended up having antibiotics for that, and then my son and his friend also contracted it and had antibiotics too .... Along with us all at some point in the first week having upset stomachs.

The rooms: We had a faeces stench coming from our toilet for the first 3 days, along with no light in there, the aircon continually leaked all the time despite the maintenance man coming a couple of times and giving it a good smack with his hammer, we had a family of Ants that would crawl over our heads as we laid in bed at night - this did get resolved when they put some ant powder around the light fitting where they were coming in, the laughable thing is we were given 2 of the best rooms that they had, I dread to think what the others were like but then reading some of the reviews I get an idea .....

The animation team .... Brilliant, work hard all day every day trying to keep a bunch of arrogant greedy animals entertained, not the easiest job in the world and a couple of the Polish girls made it quite clear they hated working there however the Tunisian staff did their utmost to try to keep everyone smiling, difficult when you see what they have to work with... They would often have to break up fights during the Water Polo as the Algerian men do not seem to understand the term fair play / holiday games, they would punch each other, spit at each other with total disregard for anyone else around.... seriously I told the Hotel Director the day before I left that he was running a zoo not a hotel, he did try to convince to meet with him and the restaurant manager and head chef to try and get us to stay but to be honest there is nothing they could have done in a month let alone a day that would have changed my mind other than shutting it down, some people on here are even generous enough to give it 2 stars, I'd remove even them 2!!....

The beach was a bit of a joke in the fact the All Inclusive element didn't stand other than water however the food there was alot nicer than the hotel itself (Something to do with not being owned by the hotel i guess) ... Yes you had to pay but like i said earlier it's not mega expensive and if it means being served something nice and edible then that worked for us ... the staff there are nice too ...

After a week I had had enough, I have family who live in Hammamet and we spent a whole day going from hotel to hotel within the Yasmine looking for alternative hotel however everywhere was full (We travelled the day after Ramadan finished, bad move considering all the Tunisian's / Algerians take the first 2 weeks as their holiday too) We decided to try Hammamet itself and were lucky to find a suite within the Le Hammamet Hotel / Royal Residence so we booked it for the following day for the remaining 6 nights .... It was without a doubt the best move ever and although this hotel is currently owned by a Turkish tour company called Pegasus it books mainly to Russian's, there were a few Algerian families and just one English family being us, this didn't spoil it in any way, we had the most relaxing 6 days ever and loved it, it was just a shame we didn't book that originally.

I know alot of people think we tend only to leave bad reviews but I am merely being totally honest with you all, if you want to visit Tunisia do, avoid the Yasmine Hammamet if you don't like all of the hussle and bussle, you have to remember that since the revolution in 2011 the people currently running the country are only interested in reverting back to a traditional Muslim country, the president prior to this was succeeding in making Tunisia a modern Muslim country so they pay little attention to the sanitation and waste removal on the streets, the Yasmine Hammamet appears to have been affected by this alot unless you go the Marina, this is spotless with some really lovely restaurants....Neighbouring Hammamet still has local residents cleaning up the streets daily, it improves their chances of their shops and restaurants attracting customers, the local residents are by far some of the friendliest people you could ever meet and they will go out of their way to show this... The LOVE English people, we have a reputation out there as being one of the friendliest / easy going holiday makers which is another reason I love the country, I for one this time having experienced alot of other nations have never been so proud to be British!!

I will continue to recommend Tunisia, if you're looking and haven't booked yet and you want something for everyone try Les Orangers resorts, Iberostar if you want Yasmine Hammamet but please remember this is not Europe and they do have alot of political issues at present, there is rubbish in the streets / camel / horse cr*p everywhere in the Yasmine / shop keepers begging you to look in their shops, don't feel intimidated by them, simply smile and say no thank you, they don't follow you and try to drag you in their shops like some people say ..... Finally (Thank god I hear you cry as I've gone on so much ) DO NOT FALL for the "Oh hi i work in your hotel, I am one of your waiters" trick, they do this especially around the Medina's / Marina as they think you will pay them something to be a type of tour guide ..... they'll clock your wristbands if you're All Inclusive and work it out from there so please don't be fooled by them ....

All in all the Sandra Club did only cost us without flights included £1700 for 2 weeks all inclusive, the hotel where we moved to cost us another £1450 for 6 nights All Inclusive so it's true you get what you pay for however I did not originally pay £1700 for 3 sick children and 2 sick adults spending our annual holiday with a bunch of greedy disrespectful animals !!

Caterham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

The only good thing I loved and miss about our holiday was the animation team. They were amazing. Absolutely helpful , kind and very funny n friendly. I stayed at the hotel Sandra club with my husband, 6 year old son and 11 year old daughter. NOW on to the bad bits. Hotel rooms, reasonably clean but we had a small amount of mould, air con didn't work and the electrics were apauling also the light was hanging of the ceiling in the bath room. There was many other complaints about rooms from other couples we met too.
Food. All inclusive is not what we call ALL inclusive. Set times for breakfast, lunch and dinner but other than that we ate very little as the food wasn't that great.
Wouldnt recommend going out much as you will get hassled and money taken from u. They are in your face constantly and will harrass u. Roads, paths, beech not what it looks like in pictures.
There will be people in the hotel trying to sell you day trips out and con money out off u.....Do not book trips through them or through the hotel. Take a 10-15 min walk to the marina, book trips down there. A LOT cheaper!!!!
It's a take it or leave it holiday. Just be careful and remember to say NO. Kids lived the pool and the entertainers.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Now, before I start, I have visited the middle east and Africa on many occassions, staying in anywhere from "5 - 2 star"
I wnr without too much expectation to Sandra Club Hammamet.

Oh dear!!!
Paid for a room with Balcony, was ushered into a small square of a room overlooking the road!
No towels, no soap, NOTHING!
We then argued for 1hr next day with the manager, luckily enough, We were met by the most fabntastic rep, who secured us a room with a balcony !! RESULT..

OR NOT :-(

We were put in a room which overlooked "carthage land" the 2000watt amplifier system creaked and crackled with rubbish music and shouting till 4am EVERY NIGHT!
We were then moved to a Pool view room which was much quiteter, but, after a couple of days, the damp smell was really bad, and our clothes wouldn't dry!!!
I then found out that the air con was pushing "spores" thrughout the room as the aircon was the palce where al the damp was, I pushed my finger throught the ceiling without effort!!
We didn't use the aircon from then on and it wasn't so bad. We didn't bother askin for another room as we couldn't be bothered anymore :-)
Only downside to no aircon was keep patio door open and get bit to buggery by mossies :-))

The food in the hotel is TOTALLY RUBBISH! We were all inclusive, however, we ate out every night as the food was unpalatable! It was like feeding time at the zoo when the food did come out.
Lack of cutlery / glasses / cups /plate /food!!

There are FLIES EVERYWHERE!!! The place STINKS and the whole area of Hammamet, is just flie blown and there is rubbish everywhere, it stinks.
Manhole covers reek of Faeces right down the street, I bought my other half a Jasmine flower everyday so she didn't need to smeel the c@*p!

My other half was laid up for 3 days with Dyssentry, Had to call the doctor at 4am (bless him and very cheap if you do get ill, 70 dinar for visit an injection )
Now, I'm not saying she contracted this at the hotel, well, maybe I am, as for the next few days, people all around us wre ethrowing up / Deli belly, including myself for 1 day and I've got the strongest belly known to man!

The whole place is a complete [--]!

And I mean Shole!!!!
I was actually thinking of starting a dieting club with regular visists to Sandra Club, It would be a whopping success as I'm sure you'l lose loads of weight while you are there.

Also, I seen a review regarding the Lebanese restaurant.. Food is rubbish!!! I returned my chicken twice before giving up :-(
but 35 dinar wine was good.

If, unfortunately, you have booked to go to Hammamet, then spend your time round the Marina!!!! It's so much nicer, the restaurants are good and there's no smell of [--]!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobRandom
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

hello there i booked this holiday with out reading the reviews which was a very bad idea. my husband and i have just come back from hammemtt and it was arlful the place was dirty and not very nice only the weather. were to begin i complained several times and told them the hotel needs shutting down it was filthy and ants all over, my husband was ill for 3days. the food was dibolical and i lived off cobbed bread and butter for the whole. the rooms were filthy and we moved 3 times. we have holidayed for 20years all over the place and i must say this was BAD. i have been to tunisia 3times now and have had 2 bad exspirience and wont be going back again. this hotel does not cater for the english as all the food was nothing like what we would eat at all. i exspect different food in different countries but anything edible was cold the forein children would take handful of food with there hands and jump staight to the que with no manners and no one would stop them till they met my husband. the waiters would only wait the own and very ignorent the whole holiday was £1,250.00 and was the worst i have ever had. DON'T GO THE PLACE WANT'S SHUTTING DOWN AND HAMMAMETT IT SELF STINKS THERE WAS RAW SEWIGE AND DEAD RATS AND AS FOR JASMIN WAS NO DIFERENCE. if you have already booked this place without looking at the reviews first like i did, good luck you'll need it. ONLY FOR EASTERN EUROPEAN BECAUSE THERE USED TO THIS, NOT LIKE THE ENGLISH EVEN THE KIDS CLUB GIRL FROM POLAND HATES IT THERE. THE BEACH YOU ONLY GET WATER AT AN ALINCLUSIVE NEVER HEARD ANYTHINK LIKE IT. WERE NOT FUSSY PEOPLE JUST LIKE A STANDARD AND GET WHAT WE PAID FOR. THANKS FOR READING I WOULD WANT ANYONE ELSE WAISTING MONEY AND WELL HERND HOLIDAY TIME OFF WORK.

Room Tip: egypt but only a 5 star
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Dear Reader, please believe what you read below and stay away from this hotel unless you're travelling with someone you dislike and want to give them a torrid time. Anyone with a sane mind would not give this hotel more than 2 stars. Four stars? yes, but only if you're currently homeless and sleeping rough! Staff at reception are friendly and speak with you with a smile. But be warned, they are blatant liars. They will say anything to make you happy! They are prepared to tell you that they can bring heaven to earth for you, but when it comes to action, they don't lift a finger!! the room looks clean because there is hardly anything in it! just a bed made of stone with a mattress on top and a stone seating area with cushions on top. The TV is connected to the only socket in the room ( the other socket is in the bathroom, in case you decide to electrocute yourself out of despair and disappointment with the hotel). The TV is not worth watching. Picture is not clear. No remote. You have to pay a deposit for it and ask for it at the reception. You may or may not get one. The floor is stone and so it stays cool but we found it dusty and it was never mopped during our weeks stay at the hotel. No fridge. You have to hire it and ask for it at the reception. You may or may not get one. We were promised one but didn't get it. No safe. You have to hire one. Ask at reception. you may or may not get one. Towels were clean and changed every 2 days. Cant take them out of the room. You may hire a beach/swim towel. Ask at reception. You may or may not get one! We were again promised one but didn't get it. So we bought one from the local shop! sheets are clean but changed every 3 days. Toilet is clean. but our flush was broken. Asked reception for help. As usual, they promised to help and send someone over but no one came. I had to ask them 5 times to get someone to come and fix it. Some guy came and tweaked something and said it was fixed. And so it was! Only for it to be broken by the cleaning lady who didn't bother reporting it. I called reception few times and then gave up. The bathroom floor was tiled and didn't have any drainage system and so the water always collected and became dangerously slippery. My daughter slipped 3 times. Cleaners wouldnt mop it up. We had to use towels provided to spread over floor. The Bathroom door had a handle missing from the inside. So once you pushed the door shut, you were unable to pull it open because there were no handles. I can imagine myself leave the hotel room asking my wife to lock the door behind me. She then goes into the bathroom and pushes the door shut. I cant get in because she has the key and door is locked. She cant get out of the bathroom because there is no handle to pull it open!! I had to make sure i had that fixed immediately. Air con, would go off during the day around 2pm and come back on at 9pm. In very hot weather, this is bad news. I asked reception more than 6 times a days and they would always make excuses or they would send someone to say to us 'its getting fixed right now'. somehow it always take them upto 9 pm to fix the problem, whatever it was. Food is terrible! I would not even feed that to dogs! Tasteless, raw, boring and poor. If there was anything worth eating like chips, then that would vanish withing seconds because the people using the hotel are rude, arrogant and uncivilized. They had no idea what a que was. They would push in and fill their plates as though they have never seen food before! The waiters were very rude and if they weren't tipped regularly, they wouldn't let you sit in their area of service. One said to me i couldnt sit down because the table was reserved! I got angry and said to him, where does it say it is reserved. I want to see your Chief right now. I raised my voice and so he backed off and began to apologise furiously. at most times there would be no cutlery, no plates or the tables would not be set or cleaned. The baby chair was always dirty, and so we would clean it. Breakfast would run out by 8 and so after 8 you would have to settle for the scraps. I thought the bar was good but then quickly changed my mind when i saw how long the ques were and that the staff were rude and would always be talking to each other or chatting to young girls. The TV in the lounge was mostly off or sometimes showing a football match which had an empty stadium. (imagine the quality of the game). Overall, hotel was poor. i would never go back there and i would ask you not to go there unless your arrogant, rude and uncivilised. Beach was good but then I was surprised that the bar at the beach which belonged to the hotel is outside your inclusive allowance! The shops around the hotel were fine and the restaurants were good. That's all. once you're there, you're stuck. You cant go anywhere else. That will be your holiday. Now leave this site and go and find yourself another decent hotel!

Room Tip: Stay away from this nightmare
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammamet
Yasmine Beach Resort
Saphir Palace & Spa
Saphir Palace & Spa
#39 of 123 in Hammamet
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,130 reviews

Been to L'Ecrin Sandra Club? Share your experiences!