“Slightly overrated Hotel on trip Advisor”
Review of SENTIDO Phenicia

SENTIDO Phenicia
Ranked #2 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
“Slightly overrated Hotel on trip Advisor”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Male aged 27 stayed at Phenicia Hotel in late April 2013. I have rated the hotel Good as this was a cheap All Inc holiday (£350pp inc flights from Luton for 2 pax ) and in my opinion it appeared to be one of few hotels that had a clean and tidy beach front.

Hotel:
- Very good in appearance from the outside and has a lot of facilities for its guests.
- Majority of guests are either over 45 or families with little children and this felt a little like we were in the wrong place, but I guess Tunisia has not been a favourite destination for youngsters as yet. However we met with few other young groups which was good.
- Welcome drinks did not feel welcoming at all as we were rushed into the evening room which was dark with no lights and the drinks were left on a table in a tray which we had to get up to get. Lol. The receptionist then shouted out 'I need your passports', so everybody whipped them out and stood up from their seats to give them to him only to be told I 'will come to where you are seating to collect them'. Lol

Rooms
- Need updating and I also felt that the cleaner simply made our beds but did not change the sheets, nor vacuum the floor during our 7 night stay.
- Be sure to use the do not disturb sign as the cleaners tend to walk straight in without knocking.
- Room TV only has 2 English Channels, BBC news and Movies channel.
- Not all rooms get free wifi, we were in the 5000 range of rooms closer to the reception and so could access the free reception wifi from our room. Funny enough the signal was stronger in the room than in the reception perhaps the router was located closer to our rooms?

Staff
- Tipping is the norm in Tunisia and I advise to tip in small amounts (1,2 or 3 Dinars 50p/£1/£1.50 ) throughout your stay as opposed to one large tip at the end of your stay. It makes sense to tip at the end of your stay in order to ensure that staff gave the best service at all times irrespective of tips earned, but this does not seem to work in this hotel.
- The staff that you tip will make sure you get all the services you need. If you don't tip they either will not come back to serve you, or they will take ages to get your order to your table or perhaps even never. - definitely not a very good all inclusive experience!
- Advice would be to try and order from the same waiter that you tipped a day ago.
- The bar staff in the evening at the entertainment room were very rude as they either chatted amongst themselves and did not serve you despite you waiting. They also had the tendency to serve people that arrived at the bar after you first, despite them blatantly seeing you waiting there to be served. This happened to my wife on numerous occasions, myself and other guests who were also complaining of the same thing.

Restaurants
- There are 3 restaurants, Buffet, Mediterranean, Asian (Thai)
- The Buffet is free and included for the all inclusive and the other 2 are chargeable.
- Being a Vegetarian (no fish, meat, eggs) I found the buffet menu very limited and poor in selection. Majority of the time the only thing I could eat was chips, rice and a curry. This for lunch and dinner over 7 nights would be hell, so I did tip the chef to make me something vegetarian and in his kindness he did make me a stuffed pepper, courgette and tomato which was a good change. But this was the only dish he could make I guess as I kept getting the same dish every evening. Lol
- The waiter in the buffet restaurant remains the same throughout your stay. I would recommend tipping him in small amounts throughout your stay as he will see you every day to top your drinks etc.
- I do not think the hotel caters well enough for vegetarians and neither do the guests that stay in the hotel respect this, as on numerous occasions I noticed guests using the vegetarian meal serving spoons to serve themselves with a meat curry or so, and then put the serving spoon back in the vegetarian tray. I noticed this and asked the chefs to lay out the vegetarian meals separately on one section so that mixed serving spoons would not offend anybody. My simple request was not honoured and vegetarian meals continued to served amongst and beside meat dishes.

Red dragon (Asian Thai) Restaurant ( 40 dinar for 2 pax approx £20).
- I was fed up of the main restaurant and the uneasiness in eating a meal without the full confidence of it being a vegetarian meal and so booked an evening meal at the Red dragon.
- The menu had to be tweaked to cater for vegetarians but all in all I was pleased with the food.
- Good selection and portions.
- the ambiance is much better than the buffet restaurant and a definite recommendation for at least one night.

Spa & fitness
- the spa and fitness is not free but reasonable priced.
- We did a Spa treatment which was 35 Dinar £16 each which lasted an hour involving a steam and full body exfoliation.
- The steam room looked good but the floor was filled with 2 inches of warm water and there was a constant noise of water dripping into buckets which didn't make it as relaxing as I would have preferred, but given the money paid it was ok.
- I would definitely recommend doing the exfoliation treatment as it makes your skin go super soft.
- Some guests mentioned good facilities at the next door 5* hotel Marhaba which apparently had better spa facilities.

Beach
- the hotel owns the patch of the beach and it does keep it in very good order. having walked along the beach I noticed that all other beach front either had large piles of sea weed, debris washed onshore or large mounds of camel defecation.
- Sun loungers were good and always available.
- The beach boys tend to bother you on your first few days as they are eagle eyed at spotting new faces. Don't fall for anything being offered for free. - nothing comes for free!
- The same beach boys will loiter at the beachfront everyday and once they know you're not interested they wont bother you.
- If you take a right at the beach and walk all along the beach to the end (1hr walk) you will arrive at the medina (port) which has restaurants, souvenir and other shops. I recommend to walk along beach and catch taxi back to hotel (10 min taxi drive 6 dinar approx £3).
- If you take a left at the beach you will go towards Old Hammamet. Didn't go so cannot comment.

Quad biking
- On your first day at the hotel as you venture from the reception towards the second pool and towards the beach you are 99% likely to be approached by 'Youseph' inside the hotel premises who sells quad biking expeditions.
- The ticket price is 70 Dinar each £28 and you can haggle him down to 65 Dinar.
- Groups go for quad biking over the hills etc either 10 am or at 2 pm leaving from the main reception by coach (20 mins) to venue where quad bikes are stored.
- They will try and sell you Arabic head gear for 5 dinar when they provide you with a helmet etc.
- Ensure you wear helmet as you will be riding the quad bike on the dual carriage way(10-15 Mins) before hitting the dirt roads.
- Total riding time approx. 1.5hrs- 2hrs, good value for money.
- I would recommend you to do quad biking but please be wary of your own health and safety.

Horse riding
- At the side of the hotel there are stables and the hotel owns numerous horses.
- Cost 65 Dinar £32 for two hrs along the beach.
- Heidi, the manager at the stables could arrange lessons as well for the inexperienced.

Animation Team
- I think they do a great job and without them the hotel would have been dull and boring.
- They host evening shows every night which are ok-ish, but during the day they hold volleyball, waterpolo, beach football, archery, darts, and salsa for the ladies which is good fun.
- I highly recommend water polo with Shaggy and Archery with Mouse! Two top blokes!

Nightlife
- After the evening show in the entertainment room the hotel Dj plays some music which I thought was dated and repetitive. (I heard 50 cent - candy shop atleast 4 out of the 7 nights being played). And due to this hardly anybody gets on the dancefloor. It got to the point where I gave the Dj a list of songs to play (which he did have) and made it a good night with people hitting the dancefloor. But the following night and thereafter we were back to the same routine.

- Outside the hotel there are a few bars that are within 10-15 min walk. Take a left from the hotel exit and there are two bars approx. 3 min walk, Caccoon and another which I cannot remember. both were good and had better music, branded spirits however slightly pricey 2 double drinks were 25 Dinar £12. - Expensive for Tunisia I would say.

-If you carried on walking down (5 Mins ) you would get to Latino bar, which also plays Tunisian music which was awesome. Do expect a lot more locals at this bar though.

- I must say however there are 2 young waiters that work in the Hotel bar, forgotten their names, who were super as they took us to these bars and came to the dancefloor and also escorted us back to the hotel when needed. Thanks guys you are both super!

- Please bear in mind Tunisians smoke indoors and so be prepared for passive smoking at the bars (i'm not a smoker and found this as a negative as had to get fresh air at times)

- Not entirely safe for women to walk back to hotel particularly from Latino on their own. Please be careful and take a cab or go with a group as one of the guests I met almost had her bag snatched by two guys on a moped.

Summary
Would possibly go back to the hotel but not with high expectations as I feel trip advisor is highly overrating the hotel. This is an average hotel with good facilities but still a lot of room for improvement.

Room Tip: If you want to get access to the free reception wifi in your room then the rooms in the 5000 range s...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sush85
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your constructive feedback with regards to the welcome reception, room experience, tipping culture, Bar staff, vegetarian meals and spoons (a special vegetarian station on the buffet is already made in the meantime) and the music in the disco.

Please be assured that your valuable comments are positively taken on board and will be shared with the concerned managers and the team for immediate corrective action where ever appropriated.

Thank you very much - your comment means a lot to us.

We would like the idea welcoming you back.

The SENTIDO Phenicia Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (866)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This was a last minute cheap get away, we had looked at all the reviews for this hotel and had high expectations. Although the hotel is looking a bit tired the service and staff were very good.
The animation team were very good but some of the evening shows seem a bit repeatative.
Unfortunately the weather was a little wet and the beach was flooded overnight, however the ground staff worked very hard to restore things.
There is nothing to do within an hours walk of the hotel, great for an early season holiday in the sun. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear Guests,

thank you for sharing your pre holiday experience with us on tripadvisor. A big "thank you" also for recommending the SENTIDO Phenicia. We would be very pleased welcoming you again - with
real summer weather.

Best greetings
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Well my second time at the Phenicia and once again can't fault it! Had an amazing time, everyone so welcoming and some even remembered me from last year which was a nice touch!
Laying by the pool but having the opportunity to take part in activities during the day and at night the very hard working Animation team putting on thoroughly entertaining shows and entertainment. the hotel do no know how good this group of individuals really are.
I would definitely recommend the Phenicia to friends and family for a relaxing holiday with a warm and friendly atmosphere.
Thanks everyone x

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lucy H
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased reading your kind review - thank you very much!
Thank you for recommending us for a relaxing holiday with a warm and friendly atmosphere and an amazing animation team.

We would be happy welcoming you again for your 3rd stay in the nearest future.

Kind regards

leicester
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This hotel is average. Nothing special to others hotels ive stayed at. Rooms and coridoors need updating desperately and maintenance in the room is poor, light fittings hanging out, squeaky doors & tap fittings loose. Fridge in room will only have water in it, if you fetch it yourself! Cleaners are excellent, flexible and friendly. I found the reception bordering on rude at times and a little put out by being asked things. Location isnt great, felt quite intimidated outside of the hotel and is a quick taxi ride down to shops in yasmin. Horse riding on site is excellent, they sorted out a little ride for my two year old. Animation are pretty good, if a little over the top at times. Grounds, pools and beach are good but very annoyed with the constant badgering on the beach to be sold stuff. My main problem with this hotel was the restaurant. It was the same menu every day for breakfast. We had to sit in the same seats everyday for lunch and dinner then explain ourselves when we sat elsewhere because someone had our seats! Menu was poor, nothing child friendly about it, kids stuff was mash of bolognese and pasta EVERY NIGHT! I could of complained but how much of your holiday do you waste. Overall had a good time but hotel is nothing to shout about.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank boxbaby
Dear Guests,

thank you very much for sharing your review on tripadvisor with us. Yes, we started updating the rooms in one floor - nevertheless issues in your room are not acceptable. it would be very helpful to us to know details of your stay, please send us an email to investigate in order to improve.
We apologize - your comment will be forwarde to our housekeeping department. Our Chief Cook and our Headwaiter in the Restaurant/Breakfast room would be happy to show you the buffet if there would be absolutely nothing to please you and your child - we are working with a 2 weeks menu plan. Thank you for mentionning your issues - they have our special attention. We are happy reading you had overall a good time with good grounds, pools and the beach as well as with excellent horseriding.
UK
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I visited this Hotel in March. It was Ok. I have been to other AI's not in Tunisia, but I would have to say this was not anywhere near the quality of the others in standard at about the same price. It is a bit tired. .
1. I think this hotel is highly rated on Tripadvisor because they actually keep asking people to put good comments on Tripadvisor.
2. People are pleasant and friendly.
3. Food was ok, could not find much to eat by the end of the week. could not have lasted 2 weeks.
There were two other restaurants. One visit per week to the “Al a carte “restaurant, which was free, which was of a good standard. The other restaurant you had to pay for.
4. Animation Team try their best, I would say that the hotel would be even worse if they were not there. But it was a bit like a Hi de Hi. With Very limited evening entertainment.
5. Good location for Golf. Free transport to Golf courses BUT you have to book a day in advance.
6. Beach is a lovely beach. Did not try the Sea, too cold at this time of year.
7. Limited bars and sitting areas in main building. One bar you had to pay, not part of AI. The Cocktails I tried were not good.
8. Room that we stayed in had been decorated recently; I was OK, no issues.
9. Pools were OK, one heated which was good at the time of year we went, but small.
10. Not much to do if it rains. They do have WiFi
11. Would I go back to this Hotel? No!
12. Would I go to Tunisia again? Yes!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HarryHUk
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this review, 4 May 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for sharing your detailed feedback with us on tripadvisor. We do hope
getting only honest reviews - they were all taken on board and treated if necessary with all the team in order to improve constantly. We think every hotel round the world has its own all inclusive package under typical "country conditions" - it would be interesting to compare another all inclusive hotel in Tunisia with the SENTIDO Phenicia. The Bar Carillon is open in the evening to be used also when you booked all inclusive - if you would like to drink a branded drink it is also possible here with charge. Our Main Bar tender will be immediately informed concerning the quality of the cocktails - thank you for mentionning. Yes, we are asking our guests to book the golf transfer in advance (24h) - to provide an excellent service the following day.
We are pleased to know you enjoyed the beach, the people and the country.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Returned 3rd may from a wonderful holiday. I could thoroughly recommend the hotel. I cannot praise the staff highly enough. Everyone was very helpful and professional and took pride in providing excellent service. I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a hotel in Tunisia.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank JimMac1953
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review regarding the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel, as well as a big "Thank you" for recommending it.

We will be pleased welcoming you back!

Kind regards
Skipton, United Kingdom

Fantastic!!!!
The animation team made this holiday. Thanks to them all. Amine (Boss man), Super Mario, Aldo, Olga, Titi, Shaggy, Nino, Mira, Mido,Mino, Bibo too many to mention but they were all amazing.
They kept us entertained day and night, they even made time to come and talk to us throughout our stay
The hotel staff were so amazing.nothing too much trouble for them. they went above and beyond.

The hotel is so beautiful.. It has everything you could possibly need and a shop near the gym. Being on the beach was a plus. the bar staff were all fantastic. remember to ask for the cocktail list. its all in with your all inclusive. Look out for MARWEN. He works on the bar and is so lovely. I could have brought him home with me. .

I would stay at this hotel again. there isnt much around the hotel thoughIf you want to see the sights then take a yellow taxi outside the hotel. they will give you a good price
We made a mistake of taking a trip by our selves. 4 girls. We went into the capitol. Tunise and it was very intimidating. men were following us. I suggest you do the organised trips then you know you are safe.
If all you want is a beach holiday then this hotel is perfect. I would go back with my children as there is something for everyone of every age. The pools and gyms are lovely. There are daily activities for everyone. Massages, henna tattoos, swimming, aqua arobics, archery, darts competitions.
Iwent with 3 girls and it was so beautiful. We had such an amazing holiday with so many friendly people.

Never stayed in a hotel as beautiful as the Phenicia

The food was fantastic and of high standard. We stayed all inclusive and were very impressed. there was variety of food and it was very tasty. You must try the afternoon snacks of chocolate pancakes. oh my were they good.

Again the animation team were amazing. they work very hard to give us all good shows to watch and participate in. Aldo was fantastic as Michael Jackson. and by far the best dancer there.

The rooms were cleaned every day with clean bedding and towels. we were even left flowers in our rooms.

The Chinese was a lovely restaurant. At 20 Dinar for a four course meal including a bottle of wine per room was worth it.

tipping is a must. The staff work very hard and long hours and deserve to be tipped

The only downfall was that it was not near to any thing, it was out of the way but then you would not get the beautiful beach. we cant have everything. it really is a beautiful hotel.
This hotel is certainly one of the best I have ever stayed in and I would come back again

Thank You all for an amazing holiday. I have made some lovely friends from it and you have left me with a life time of wonderful memories

Emma XXXXX

Room Tip: Avoid rooms begining with a 7 they are noisy. We stayed in rooms 6002 and 6004 they were lovely a...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank yorkshiregirl209940
Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback regarding the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel, also a big
"Thank you" for recommending the SENTIDO Phenicia.

We will be happy welcoming you back!