“Fantastic break, Lovely holiday”
Review of SENTIDO Phenicia

SENTIDO Phenicia
Ranked #8 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We have just returned from two weeks at Phenicia and are already thinking about booking again for next year. On arrival, I must admit, we had a bad feeling about the holiday... we arrived at the hotel around 10pm and were welcomed with a drink and shown to our room. We walked out of the main building and into the building where the restaurants are, we were told to go up the stairs of this building, however it was so dark it took us a while to be sure this is what they meant. We carefully walked up the stair to a dark hallway, hardly lit at all, which in all honesty looked a bit like the hallway of a travelodge. Our room was not one of the refurbished ones but we were generally fine with this as it was clean and spacious, and the bed was huge! However, we immediately went to the balcony to see our view, but there was none, all we could see was a brick wall and some trees - we felt like we had just be chucked into any old room, after the hallway looking like a dungeon and then we were very disappointed with the view. We decided to go for a quick walk before bed, and as we were walking around it was fairly cold (I know nothing to do with the hotel, but we were used to warm Greek evening air!) adding another disappointment to the very start of the holiday.

We were soon after absolutely loving Phenics however...
The next morning (after a very good sleep) we woke and asked the reception for a room with a view, they were more than happy to see what they could do, however told us to come back the next morning when they would have something available. By that evening we decided we wanted to unpack and get settled and had gotten over the poor view so stayed where we were.

When exploring the rest of the hotel we were extremely impressed. We ventured to the other parts of the buildings where we knew the refurbished rooms were to be nosey basically and it looked gorgeous! We later found out that Phenicia is a Thomas Cook hotel and that their customers get the better rooms over any other holiday company - we went with Thomson, and therefore knew why we had been put in a non refurbed room with no view.

Breakfast was very good and served between 6-10am with lots of choice; freshly made pancakes and omelettes to order, freshly cooked pastries (often still hot from the oven!) range of cereals, cold meats, bread, fruit, and selection of, (I say fried breakfast but it is something like that) sausages, eggs, toast etc. Then coffee, tea, water, fruit juices, and a very nice fruit smoothie :)
Lunch was just as yummy and served between 12-230pm, as just as much choice.. you can either eat in the restaurant or at the beach BBQ. We ate everyday at the BBQ, due to always being on the beach. There was always pasta, chips and rice of some sort. There was then a range of pizza's, meat/fish on the BBQ, fresh bread, fresh fruit and ice cream, it was all very yummy and always something to eat (And I am a fussy eater!!)
Dinner was fantastic!! On your first night you choose either 630pm or 8pm to have as your dinner time for the duration of your stay. We chose 8pm, but found that we were always hungry at around 715 :( so did have to hold out for a little while. You are assigned a table where you sit every night with the same waiter. Our waiter was CHAIEB, and he was amazing - he really made our holiday! Our drinks were on the table when we entered the room and were never empty, plates cleared quickly and cutlery for further courses laid immediately. He always had a smile and made time for a chat with us :) The food was great at dinner. So much to choose from! There is always a main dish normally some sort of meat, along with (normally) a couscous dish, then there was always a range of foods from chips, rice, fish, potato dishes, vegetables, chicken legs, beef and gravy dishes etc. There was a griddle that was always cooking fresh fish and a pasta counter that did the BEST SPAGHETTI BOLOGNAISE I HAVE EVER TASTED! It was amazing, so much flavour, it really was the yummiest meal of the holiday!
Snacks are served between 230-6pm consisting of pancakes, pizza, cold meats and bread, salads and cakes, along with tea, coffee and fruit juices.

The hotel grounds are beautiful and very well kept, we saw numerous staff cutting the grass and hedges during our staff. The main pool area is lovely and is where most of the day time entertainment goes on, there is music, water aerobics, water polo etc throughout the day. The other pool is much smaller and quieter which no entertainment at all. We spent all of our time on the beach which is gorgeous and has the softest sand we have ever seen! Laid out with sunbeds and shelters it looks lovely, and luckily for us it never felt too noisy or busy. There were games on the beach each day at around 1030am & 330pm of boules, vollyball, football and aqua gymnastics, along with parachuting and jet skiing available all day at additional costs. The entertainment team were very enthusiastic about getting you to join in the activities! It did sometimes become irritating after we had said every single day sometimes more than once that we did not want to do such activities however...

My only criticism about the beach is the people who try and sell you things but there are signs as you enter the beach saying they have nothing to do with the hotel and they advise you not to purchase anything from them and to contact the hotel beach security if they pester you. If you sit at the back of the beach they do not bother you though, just there is less breeze at the back!!

The entertainment team really did try their best throughout both day and evening. Unfortunatly I cannot remember names, but those that did the boules, beach vollyball and beach football really managed to get a lot of people joining in, the football guy even managed to get my boyfriend playing and he never joins in with activities like these due to being very quiet. The evening perfomances, although a lot of effort had obviously been put in, were not what I expected after some of the reviews I had read.Most evenings were just dancing, of which only perhaps 3 or 4 were any good, most were not in time and some didn't look like they knew what they were doing, however, Like I said, lots of effort so well done and thank you :) We saw a snake charmer show of a sunday evening (entertainment team have sundays off) and to be honest it was pretty awful. Not only was he definatley NOT a snake charmer, the way he handled the snakes and lizards on the stage was appalling, They were obviously scared - most definately the lizard! The following sunday night was a 'fakri show' i think it was called. This was much better - although very slow to start. They used members of the audience and did things like standing on glass, and pushing knives into their chests etc.

There are a number of excursions available within the hotel and these people are quick to try and get you doing things, if you stop then they are immediately writing out your tickets and asking for money! You just need to be stern if you do not want to do the excursions. We decided to go on the quad biking trip - at 70,000Dina (about £28 ) each we thought it was really cheap and were we given 2 hours. We LOVED this trip and would very much recommend it to anyone.

The weather on arrival and for the first 10 days was outstanding, reaching 35 degrees each day we were told summer had just begun - due to the amount of rain the had the weeks before! However, on out 10th day we began to get thunder storms and rain from around 3pm! The following day was raining all day, however we went into Yasmine Hammament (5 Dina in Taxi) to do some shopping, so we weren't too bothered. The next day was overcast again but we insisted on going to the beach anyway, by 12pm we had blue sky and not a single cloud again :)

Overall, We very much enjoyed our stay! Although there were a couple of things we would like to have been different, for the price we payed, we were extremely happy. We have said that we would most likely book with Thomas Cook next time though- just to ensure a refurbished room, although I imagine by next year they will all be finished. All the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for you, the food was super, the bed was massive! the hotel grounds are gorgeous and the hotel itself (except for some of the rooms/ in the 5000 block) was modern and beautiful.
We are very very tempted to return next year! But only if we could ensure we have CHAIEB as our waiter again ;)

Room Tip: Book with thomas cook to guarantee refurbished room.
12  Thank Chloe S
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guests,

Thanks a million for writing this lovely and very detailed review! We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your booked room to be clean and spacious and the bed was huge. Indeed all rooms will be refurbished until next year, as well as the floors – there will be no dark hallways anymore. Your compliments regarding the staff, food, grounds, your waiter Mr Chaieb are highly appreciated and will be shared with the team.

We are pleased learning you feel we are a good value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you at SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel Hotel again.

Best wishes
The SENTIDO Phenicia Team

Write a ReviewReviews (6,372)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This was our second stay at the phenicia this year. The hotel is perfectly situated on the beach. The staff from reception, bar, cleaners to waiting staff are all brilliant. The one thing that makes this hotel is the animation team, they work tirelessly to make sure you are having a great time. The highlights for me is Emily and our "adopted" son Pepito, we love you guys. We are returning in September and can't wait to return to our second home. See you soon xx

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank tanthomp

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much – we are pleased learning you enjoyed your second holiday with us, highlighted by the animations team, especially “Emily” and “Pepito.

Your loyalty towards the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel is highly appreciated.

We will be more than happy welcoming you back in September – to your 3rd holiday with us.

Best and kind regards

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Wow! Arrived back on 15th June after 11 nights and so desperately want to be back there. Hotel lovely.All staff fantastic! Although 1 cheeky porter asked for £5 for moving bags. They immediately took us for a refreshing drink and made my 4 year old daughter feel very special. The hospitality was endless but not overdone. Always a happy welcoming face wherever you were, from cleaners to waiters. Lots of activities going on, water polo, football, aerobics, Zumba, horse-riding, golf, banana boats, camel rides and more. The choice of food was amazing.we are 3 very fussy eaters and although things got a little repetitive towards the end, for others the selection was amazing:pastas, rices, children's section, veggie section, fish, meat salad, different kinds of potatoes, breads, fruit, ice-cream, cakes. And I was reassured that all was washed in filtered water, all ice and cordial-style drinks is bottled water, so not the slightest tummy problem from any of us. Our tea-time waiter Chaieb was quick,efficient and friendly, bringing drinks when're low. I found the cleaning of our room seemed a little rushed ie.tidy bed/towels and empty bins, we found someone else's stuff under the drawers 4-5 days in but we did tip the cleaner at the end as it was kept regular and they were understanding if you wanted them to wait til you were out. Reception staff were fab! The shop I thought had a decent selection of bits n bobs, and never had a problem with them trying to charge too much (as past guests have stated). Found the sellers on the beach a little pestering at times, but I guess it's their job. Last but by no means least-the animation team, from the Big Boss who manages his team terrifically to MARIO,MAYA,MAROU,BILLY, ALADDIN,Coco,Niño, Emily, Bebo, the choreographer, Pepito, Lama,Sousou and more who I can't remember all names, these guys are what make me want to go back, fun,friendly, energetic,enthusiastic, hard-working,kind,amazing people! They entertain from morning to night!!! MARIO was our star, my daughter fell for him and so did we, cheeky funny and naughty. She also was crazy about MAYA! Who spent lots of time talking and eating with us,what a lovely girl. Marou!! Was crazy,fun and fabulous! One of my faves. And Billy just beautiful while Aladdin was a proper man's man, causing mischief and madness wherever he went. Although there were slight negatives above, not one of those things would have an ounce of impact on whether I would go back! Amazing place and people. Amazing weather 27-33 degrees everyday. Stunning pool areas. The list of positives for us a mile long!! I highly recommend for all! Our daughter loved it, she did stay with us all the time (ie never in kids club) but mimi club didn't seem to have that much going on to me. But that's not what it was about for us,personally. Finally, We haven't stopped raving to our y friends and families about Sentido Phenicia and my daughter is already 'dreaming' and 'wishing' about going back. I left a picture for Mario of mine and his slow dance by the pool, wanting him to stay in touch, also left contact details with Maya and some friends we met.

Room Tip: Just to ask for what u want.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank BecB0082
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed holiday experiences about the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel on TripAdvisor.

It is a pleasure to read that you had enjoyed your recent stay with us.
Your comments with regards to the service, the animation team and facilities at the hotel are very much appreciated, as well as the room experience you kindly mentioned. It would be very important to us to know who of our porters has been so "cheeky"? We apologize - it is the very first time we got such information about a porter - and we will have a look on it.

Thank you again having a mile long list of positives - we will try to topp this list on your return.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Travelled here with my husband and stayed for one week on an all-inclusive basis. This was second visit to Tunisia, having been once in 2012.

We arrived at the hotel at around 1am. No welcome drink, but checking in was rather quick. We didn't have a refurbished room but the room was kept clean and the bed was very comfortable.

Overall, we had a great time. We were after a relaxing week in the sun and that is what we got. The beach in Tunisia is by far the best beach I have ever stepped on in my life. The weather was perfect. The staff were overall very friendly and the animation team made sure there was plenty going on during the day - I particularly enjoyed the water aerobics on the beach. Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day - the pancakes were yummy as were the omelletes. Good world cup coverage.

However, I would not return to this hotel:
- The hotel overall seemed very 'cheap' and you could not help but be reminded you were on an all inclusive break. Cocktails were kept virtually virgin unless you asked for a strong one.
- The cups for taking drinks onto the beach were tiny - by the time I had taken mine back to my lilo, it was finished. It is not hard to just buy bigger plastic cups.
- Had to pay 20 dinar deposit for a towel for the week which could only be changed on a Tuesday and Saturday. We arrived on a Monday and stayed til Sunday so we pretty much had a dirty towel for most of our stay. You get the towels from the gift shop from a lady who really does need to go to charm school. Clearly you drop off the towels there too so you are tempted to spend our 20 dinar in the gift shop...rather cheeky.
- Food was overall very tasty. However I do not understand the reasoning behind having 2 dinner sittings at 6:30 and 8. We had the 8pm sitting and at 7:50 there would be people queuing to get in which reminded me of school dinners. I found this rather embarrassing for the hotel.
- The waiters expect tips and will literally hang around for one. I understand average wage is about £90.00 per month in Tunisia. Happy to tip but to have it be expected is a bit ridiculous. We tipped about 5 pounds a day.
- The lady that does yoga and pilates - Soussou - clearly knows nothing about yoga, pilates or the difference between them both. I did both sessions and did the same exercises.

In a toss between this hotel and the Holiday Village Manar, I would pick H0liday Village Manar any day of the week. If this hotel changed a few things though.. I would happily come back.

Room Tip: Don't book with thomson, they give you the worst rooms.
5  Thank Chandni M
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Guests,

thank you very much sharing your detailed review with us on TripAdvisor. Every
negative aspect you kindly mentioned had our best interest in order to have a look on
it and to improve where necessary and possible. Please be advised the beach towels
could be changed daily if required with a small charge of 1,500dinar. The deposit of
20 dinars could be exchanged at the airport.
We will forward your suggestion to the shop owner to start charm trainings with his
staff.
Please feel free to tip especially when you got the impression a tip is expected or a
must. As other reviewers mentioned you will get good service with and without a tip.
We have two sittings during summer season because the majority of our guests
prefer a private atmosphere and wouldn’t like to share their table with other guests.
During the summer season nearly all our guests booked all inclusive, however during
winter season it is different – then most of the guests are booking half board.
Please be advised local alcohol may be a little bit different to branded European
drinks.

Thank you mentioning so many positives as well, like the beach quality, the activities,
breakfast, tasty food and the good world cup coverage. We are glad learning overall
you had a great time.

Best regards – we would be very pleased welcoming you back – why not during another
season?

Reviewed 17 June 2014

had the first week in june at the hotel which i found spotless the food was very good with plenty to choose from the beer was good as well not the usual euro fizz yhe staff were very freindly and helpfull we will retuen

Room Tip: get a room in the refuebished block plush
2  Thank rogerbateman06
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guests,

thank you very much. We are pleased learning we meet your expectations during your holiday
and you enjoyed the cleaniless, food and beer, as well as the service.

We are looking forward welcoming you back anytime.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was our first holiday to Tunisia and I honestly dont think we could have picked a better place to stay! We returned on 15/06/14 after a weeks stay at the Phenicia and are already planning a return trip next year!
Firstly the staff and animation team are absolutely amazing, they cannot do enough for you. we were made aware of this when we arrived at the hotel early on the morning of 08/06/14 (around 2:30 am), my partner unfortunately has a broken ankle at the moment and the room we were originally given was a bit too far away for him to get to easily. As soon as the recepion staff and porter realised our situation our room was changed with no fuss at all.
The rooms themselves are fantastic, we were lucky enough to have a refurbished room. We had a huge comfy bed, nice clean bathroom with bath and shower and a balcony with lovely views.
The entertainment at the hotel is great! with lots of different activities during the day round the pool ranging from water polo to pilates! In the evening there is a different show every night and the animation team work extreamly hard! they are very good dancers and you can tell they practice a lot!
There are some lovely bars at the hotel, and the waiters always make sure your drinks are full! We really liked the terrace bar and the 'American' bar in the evening and the pool and beach bars during the day.
The food at the hotel is excellent, I honestly do not know how some previous reviewers can complain about the food! There is plenty of choice in the main resturant consisting of meat, fish and veggie options all cooked fresh and have obviously not been left out all day. The main resturant is very clean and tidy and again the waiters are fab. There was only one tiny thing that I can think of that we would liked to have been different about the main resturant was the noise, it is very loud and busy to hard to sit and have a quiet chat over dinner. However they do cater for alot of people and this is such a small thing that we didnt let it bother us too much!
The other resturants - Le Dragon and Le Berber (not sure of spelling, sorry!) are excellent! we did not visit Le Panache as it didnt seem to be open. Le Dragon is a lovely 4 course Chinese meal which only costs 20 dinar each including drinks (about £7 each) so good value! and Le Berber is a fabulous 6 course Tunisian meal, you are seated outside in traditional tents and are constantly topped up on wine! This was our favourite meal on site, the food was beautiful!
We did venutre out of the resort for one meal, and went to a restaurant called Le Barberousse which we found on trip advisor! It was absolutely stunning, with panoramic views of Hammamet. The food was also amazing, the menu consists of alot of fish and some meat so fussy eaters may not like this. It is quite expensive, our meal came to 237 dinar (about £83 for both of us) but we did have wine, lobster and a huge T bone steak! I would highly recommend a trip to this resturant, although be careful of all the stairs up to it! with a broken ankle they proved to be a big obstacle for my partner!
We unfortunately did not manage to do any of the excursions offered by the hotel because of the broken ankle :-( but there were alot of excellent trips on offer, and a lot of other guests were very impressed by them!
The hotel grounds and beach are stunning and very well looked after, there is always someone cutting the grass or doing general up keep which is great to see!

Over all I cannot fault this resort AT ALL! We had such a lovely time and have come home refreshed and with memories we will treasure forever.

Room Tip: Book with Thomas Cook to get a refurbished room! And make sure all your doors are closed for the a...
3  Thank Lauren M

Dear Guests,

thank you very much sharing your detailed holiday experience with us on TripAdvisor. We are delighted learning we exceeded your expectations in all aspects and therefore we will forward
your kind comment to our team. They will be happy as well knowing their daily service has been
appreciated.

Please feel welcome anytime - we are looking forward to your return next year.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was our second holiday in Tunisia and it was just as fab as last year. We returned on Jun 14th after 14 days of shear heaven. The hotel from the 1st day did all they could to make our stay perfect. From the fantastically dressed doorman to waiters in bars and our super dining room waiter Sami. The room was one of the newly furnished and was clean and comfortable and cool. The staff on the beach made sure your sunbed had its comfy mattress to relax on.
The food was fantastic if you couldn't find something you liked to eat you must be a very faddy eater.The drinks flowed as quickly as you wanted them to. From soft drinks, beer,spirits and cocktails or even a coffee there was always a smile as it was served. The entertainment was fun and they all were very enthusiastic and spent all day and evening making sure you enjoyed yourselves. We shall be back again.

Room Tip: Try not to have a room facing the swimming pool.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pollymolly09
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your holiday experience at the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel. Your kind feedback will be shared with our team.
We are sure that this feedback will serve as an additional encouragement to our team as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. We are very pleased to read we could exceed your expectations again during your second stay with us and will do our best to keep up this standard. Thank you recognizing our daily efforts.

We are looking forward welcoming you back very soon.