“lovely weeks break”

Ranked #1 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Andover, United Kingdom
“lovely weeks break”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

had a great week at the end of may 2014 and loved it the room was one of the new rooms which was great the food was amazing,staff and entertainment team were great to the only gripe I have about it is the afternoon snacks were crap flat bread with tomatoe and cheese on top and crepes that was it.after being to Egypt the last couple of years were you get ice creams,salads,hotdogs,burgers,filled rolls,jacket potatoes this was pretty poor,maybe they should take this into consideration when advertising this hotel. if you have kids who want these snacks then go elsewhere otherwise it is a lovely place to have a weeks relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: book with Thomas cook
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank scousers89
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Guests,

thank you very much - we are pleased learning you had a lovely weeks break with us.
Thank you as well expressing the point which was not to your liking : the afternoon snacks.
We will forward your comment to our Chief Cook to have a look on it and to improve where required.

We are delighted learning you spent a great week with us at the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel and would be happy welcoming you back.

The SENTIDO Phenicia Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (867)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
lincolnshire
Reviewed 26 June 2014

It was my first time to Tunisia and a first holiday for my boyfriend and I. I can honestly say we had the best time! We were welcomed here with a cold drink and a cool flannel, and were given a tour around to help us find our way. He was very informative as well as having a good sense of humour, making us feel at ease! The day after we arrived, we had a morning welcome with our Thomas Cook rep, 'my hair'- that's how he explained how it was pronounced! He was really funny, cracking lots of jokes and giving us detailed information on everything we needed to know about the area and the excursions we could go on, which was also given to us written down. He said to take some of the locals with 'a pinch of salt', especially when they are trying to sell you things. He was available most mornings from 9-10am to speak to with any queries, which was comforting. We booked the '3 in 1' excursion, which our rep said had been quite popular lately, and it was fantastic! It was real value for money too, being 40 denars each. After being picked up in the morning by coach with a tour guide, it took us to the Berber villages of Jradou and Takrouna, where they invited us in for a cold drink of coke or Fanta and gave us a demonstration of how they make things in a wicker style, but with a straw- like grass, which was great to see. I got given a bracelet made from it by a very friendly lady. It was great to see a bit of the different culture.
We then went on to 'Friguia Park', which is an animal park with lots of wild animals in their own habitat. You can get to feed some of the animals, like the elephants and the zebras, but you do have to tip the staff if you want to do this. You can also experience a camel ride for 6 denars, which is really cheap! I had my first camel ride here and I loved it!
Then it was onto the marina in Hammamet Yasmine (the new part) to board a 'pirate ship' and set sail along the Hammamet coastline. A great opportunity to take some scenic pictures of Hammamet! The music was a little loud on the ship and could have been a bit more peaceful, but that's the only downside. More of a party ship for 18-30's, which was fine for us, but not for others. You also got lunch included on the ship, but not great. We just couldn't wait to get back to the hotel to their fantastic food!
If you want to walk to Hammamet town, it is an approx. 50 minute walk left from the hotel along the beach, or if you want to go to Hammamet Yasmine it is right from the hotel along the beach, which takes about an hour. Watch out for the locals saying that they are from your hotel, and then lead you into their ' sisters shop' then hassle you to buy stuff. Just say 'No thank you' and walk on. Also they try to get you in their shop by asking how you spell something in English. I never felt unsafe though.
We were so impressed with the food at Phenicia. Such a varied choice and all made fresh and presented so well! My boyfriend had the spaghetti Bolognese nearly every night! He said it was the best he had had! They make every dish fresh to order, putting in any herbs/spices you wish for. Our waiter was absolutely fantastic, although I am sure they are all as good. His English wasn't great, but he made us laugh with his singing and saying 'cheers big ears' to us :) He always topped up our drinks, and we didn't even have to tell him what we wanted as he remembered. We were on table 94. You have to go to the same table at dinner only, but I think this is a nice way to get to know people next to you.
The animation team are AMAZING!!! They work so hard to make sure you are kept entertained all day and night. They all deserve praise, but I must mention, COCO, MARIO, and LAMA. They were the three that really made an effort to make us feel welcome here. COCO always had me up dancing, which I didn't mind as I love it! He does the zumba and salsa/line-dancing classes and is excellent! I had so much fun!! My boyfriend even joined in some days! He enjoyed the darts which MARIO did. He said he is a legend! LAMA does the yoga and pilates classes. She is a lovely girl, always smiling and welcoming. We did think that she should be more involved with the shows at night though, as the others seem to take all the 'limelight'.
There are no negatives about the evening shows. It's clear that they are very dedicated and work hard to entertain the guests. The choreographer is fantastic! (sorry I cant remember his name). They can all certainly dance!
We were never bored, as there is so much to do with the animation team, aqua-fit, French boules, archery, zumba, salsa/line dance, yoga, pilates, water-polo, aqua-darts, beach volleyball, football. There is lots of water sports on the beach too, para-sailing, jet skiing, pedaloes, banana boat and ringos!
I must also praise the photographers at the hotel. They go around all day and night taking professional photos of people doing the activities and capturing your holiday moments. They are then put up on a display board for you to view and buy if you want to. We had some photos done together on the beach, and I have to say they are so professional! I felt like a model!
The bar staff are very welcoming and have a good laugh with you. The room maids and porters are also very friendly, always saying 'hello' and smiling. I can't fault the room we had. Always clean and presented well.
I have to mention the crepes! They are made fresh to order by a very nice man. The chocolate ones are 'to die for'!! Oh and how can I forget the 'bed' man. (Think he's the maintenance guy lol) He carried the mattresses for the sun loungers from the beach every day, giving one to everyone! He works so hard and deserves a tip! I would recommend this hotel to anyone! Keep up the good work guys!! We will certainly be back in the near future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sars22_123
Dear Guests,

thank you very much sharing your detailed feedback on TripAdvisor. Your review is so appreciated - our daily efforts have been noticed and when we succeeded together to provide excellent holidays to you – then we are all together just in heaven.

We will be more than happy welcoming you back - to exceed together your expectations again.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great hotel clean food exelent staff look after you very well animation team make this hotel very entertaining on the go all day and night Mario so funny will defo go back again so friendly place lovely beaches and clean as well entertainment round pool area keeps you amused all day waiters run after you all day if you give them a 5 dinar tip that's about £2!always remember what your drinking don't have to ask! No rushing down for sunbeds plenty places to sunbathe

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank gailandterry
Dear Guests,

thank you very much sharing your holiday experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are more than happy we could exceed your expectations and you spent a good holiday
with us at the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel.

We will be pleased welcoming you back in the next future.

The SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel
Leuven
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I loved our stay in sentido phenicia: great rooms, service, food, very close to the sea,..what made our holiday even better were the efforts of the animation team! we loved the activities and the shows in the evenings. Id especially like to thank Emily, Lama and Coco but the others were amazing too. I'd immediately go back if I could

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank NatalieL2
Dear Guests,

thank you so much. We are more than pleased learning you enjoyed your holiday with us,
espacially due to the animation team and the room, food and service.

We will be delighted welcoming you back in the nearest future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My sister and I spent a week at the Phenicia and it was great - so relaxing and we felt so looked after the whole time.

The hotel rooms were immaculate, had lots of storage space and a lovely balcony. The housekeeping were very nice and one of them leant us lilos for the week which was lovely of him.

Food was very good and had a nice variety, there was definitely something for everyone. I would recommend lunch on the beach as the BBQ there was delicious.

The pool and breakfast/dining rooms were perfect, all very clean and spacious and having breakfast by the poolside every morning was idyllic. We came on this holiday to relax after we'd both had a very hard working 6 months and it did not disappoint. We booked through Thomas Cook and had no problems there either, the rep was very helpful.

All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. I've not experienced these types of holidays much (package all inclusive) and was a bit worried with some of the horror stories I'd heard but this was so so lovely, and the quality of the hotel and service received from the staff surpassed my expectations.

Shout out to the entertainment team (Shaggy, Coco, Emily to name a few), they do a great job.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank CatB88
Dear Guests,

thank you very much - we are so happy reading we could exceed your expectations and you
enjoyed your all inclusive holiday with us, espacially the quality of the Hotel SENTIDO Phenicia,
the animation as well as the service delivered by our team.

Just come back, please - we will be happy exceeding your expectations again.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just returned from 11 nights here with my partner (01/06/14 - 11/06/14) and what an amazing holiday we had. Our room was cleaned daily with fresh sheets on the bed and fresh towels in the bathroom, and on some occasions fresh flowers on the bed which was a lovely touch. Be sure to leave all dirty towels in the bath for staff to know you would like them changed. Also leave the little triangle cardboard notice provided in each room on the bed if you would like your bed changed daily. Cleaning staff were lovely and clean most of the day so you don't feel rushed out your room at stupid o'clock for them to clean.

The room itself was lovely, spacious with lots of storage space and a mini fridge. Great balcony area with seats and air con was great, kept us comfortable at night. The only slight problem was the bed as it's two single beds pushed together which was slightly annoying for us but we made it work.

Hotel overall was amazingly clean and fresh looking, again very spacious, lots of seating areas in the foyer area and at bars etc. Reception area is tidy and helpful with a great money changing service, was quick and easy. There is a quiet pool area and a more lively pool area so you can choose depending on your mood, both excellent with plenty of lounges provided. The lively pool area was provided with entertainment and music and was larger which was great for kids but my partner and I preferred the quiet pool area just for total relaxation. There is also a private beach which was amazing, very clean and again plenty of loungers and parasols provided. Also on the beach was a bar, barbecue area and toilets. Again plenty of activities provided, jet ski, camel rides and volleyball.

The food was really good, my favourite part being the breakfast buffet. Such a vast range of food available such as pasties, cereal, salads, fruits, full cooked breakfasts all made fresh that morning. Hotel also has restaurants with menus (more Tunisian style foods) and snack areas throughout the day. Again all eating areas kept very clean on a daily basis and plenty of tables for everyone. Can also eat breakfast outside which we enjoyed. Barbecue area near the beach was lovely aswell (open at lunchtime) be sure to pop in at least a few times as the food is good and fills you up until dinner time. Ice cream and fruit was also available which was refreshing in the heat. Barbecue was a buffet style but waiters brought you drinks.

All staff were lovely and friendly with quite good English. We had a great welcome tour around the hotel after enjoying a refreshing drink while we got our room sorted etc. Very approachable staff with great manners.

The hotel had plenty of bars and a nightclub with things like dance shows and bingo at night. All kept very clean and stylish.

Defiantly go all inclusive for this hotel as it is quite far from the town centre for restaurants and shops etc. Maybe around 10-15 minutes on a bus or taxi. We did not leave the hotel for this reason and safely etc but the hotel has everything you need and more so we were not bothered. It's around 30-35 minutes from the airport to the hotel with buses provided.

Very helpful information desk with advisor available and information area with bus times etc in main hotel lobby. Small shop is also on hotel premises which was handy. There is also a spa at the hotel which provides amazing treatments but note this has to be paid for (not included in all inclusive). Gym is also available to use most of the day. Also free wifi is provided which was great to catch up with news back home as newspapers are on a delay of around 3 days in the shop.

Overall we both had a fantastic time on our holiday here at this hotel and would defiantly return again. Perfect for couples or families.

Some small things to consider -
1. Be sure to pack dinner clothes for restaurants at night as there was a preference that men didn't wear shorts and looked smart etc.
2. Don't exchange loads of money at the one time as it's unsafe and you generally don't need it much around the hotel (just for tipping and excursions) plus the money exchange desk is open most of the time should you need to exchange more.
3. Avoid the first few rows of loungers on the private beach as you sometimes get hassled by people selling stuff which can be annoying.
4. Remember and pack a beach towel as it cost money to rent one for a day and the padding provided for the loungers got very hot and uncomfortable without one.
5. At the airport don't allow the pushy men to take your case to the coach as they expect a tip which can be off putting, wheel it yourself as it's not far and the bus driver helps you out when you arrive at your coach anyway.
6. Check meals times etc in your welcome pack so you don't miss out on the food/snacks provided.
7. Check the private beach out at night as its gorgeous and quite romantic, beautiful sky and peaceful.
8. If you are with Thomas Cook there are reps there periodically throughout the day which we found helpful for any questions you may have. Also they are at the airport directing you onto your correct coach and where to go etc which again was very helpful.
9. One of the bars in not included in all inclusive rates so be sure to know which one it is before you start drinking.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Mhairi M
Dear Guests,

thank you so much sharing your detailed and very detailed review with us on TripAdvisor.
We are so happy we could exceed your expectations in every aspect - thank you again!

We would be more than pleased welcoming you back in the nearest future.

Kind and best regards
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Well were to start, I'd been checking trip advisor everyday in the months leading up too our family holiday and there were some reviews that got me worried. I want to get this clear from the off ... In my opinion and the opinion of 10 of my family members ranging in ages 30 - 75, the bad reviews were totally unfounded, I've stayed in many all inclusive hotels before and this is by far my favourite, I can only assume the bad reviews are about the wrong hotel or the reviewers are the kind of people who just feel the need to find a negative in anything and everything.
We booked with Thomas cook and all our family had refurbished rooms which are beautiful, plenty of storage, cleaned Daily fresh bedding and towels on request, tea/coffee making facilities and a bowl of fresh fruit upon arrival, i do believe though that some cleaners/chamber maids are more dedicated than others, me and my husband are in room 2042 and our room didn't have the extra attention to detail as were in 2040 & 2041 and we always tip?
Breakfast was delicious my sister and i quickly developed an addiction to the pancakes and the chef who cooked them every morning always remembers our order despite the many pancakes he cooks everyday they are very popular, there is also an omelette station, were the chef will also cook you fried eggs all too your preference. There was cereal, fruit, yoghurts, and huge range of breads and pastries nothing to complain about, there are no pork sausages or bacon but this was expected in a muslin country.
Lunch and Dinner were also a winner with everyone, we had the 8pm sitting which could busy at times but lots of selection not at all repetitive, different meats and fish cooked every night, fresh pasta, soups, lovely deserts and staff who were always ready to refill your glasses.
The pool area was great very lively with the animation time monday - saturday.
Sunday was quite around the main pool there is a quite pool which i do think we would have sat around but sadly there were no parasols and it got quite hot during the day, this wasn't a problem though as the beach was beautiful had many sun beds with parasols and a wonderful breeze that kept you cool and only a 2 min stroll away .... Total bliss. We had no problem with the beach sellers a simple no thank you was enough for them to stroll pass, we found them friendly and polite. The camels on the beach are lovely especially Humphrey we would recommend him if you fancy a ride, he's seems very well looked after too. My one and only bugbear about the beach is there seems to be a problem with guest taking food and drink containers into the sea?? As a result of this when going for a swim we often had half a baguette floating past us ... Not ideal.
There are many reviews on here concerning the animation team, we found them a pleasure to be around there was maybe the odd one who had boundary issues, but the majority was genuine friendly people, who want you to enjoy your holiday. Shaggy and Mario being our favourite .
Me and my husband went on the 2 day sahara trip and its a must, absolutely amazing, go you won't regret it.
We don't want to go home, we still have a few days left of a 2 week holiday and making the most of them.
Overall i would say this holiday was excellent we've loved every minute of it and wouldn't hesitate in booking again. Simply wonderful.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mmatchett27
Dear Guests,

thank you very much - we are really delighted reading your detailed comment, and very happy you enjoy your actual stay with your family. There is no specific reason not to get a little decoration in your room - we informed our Executive Housekeeper immediately.
Thank you again mentionning so many positives about the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel and all the
offer we are providing.

Have a lovely holiday with your family!