“Fantastic Holiday.Fourat(the best) Lama, Pepito, and the Whole team” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of SENTIDO Phenicia

SENTIDO Phenicia
Ranked #2 of 123 Hotels in Hammamet
frinton
“Fantastic Holiday.Fourat(the best) Lama, Pepito, and the Whole team”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two weeks from 27th July to 10th August 2014. All in all had a wonderful holiday. The hotel itself is very clean. We had a refurbished room which was lovely but I wouldn't have been very happy if I'd had an unfurbished room. These are very dated and tired and definately do not live up to the 5 star rating for the hotel.The pool area is faultless. Lovely big pool with large landscaped gardens so you're not all lined up in rows which is lovely. The beach is linked to hotel so is right on your doorstep. White sand and clear water absolutely perfect in every way. Lots of umbrellas and comfortable loungers and great watersports activities at excellent prices. There are two restaurants and 2 a la carte restaurants (these you have to pay extra for) During the day both restaurants are open for lunch.One is inside the hotel the other is the bbq restaurant on the beach. We used this every day and it was lovely food . Fresh barbequed fish and meats and plenty of lovely salads.A big thank you to Samir who looked after us every lunchtime with a table set for us with our wine and drinks. For the evening meal only the inside restaurant is open which is a shame as the evening meal set up is the only thing we found that let the hotel down. There are two sittings which you have to choose from and stick to for your entire holiday and you are given a table which you eat at every night for your evening meal. First sitting was 6.30 to 7.30 and second sitting was 8 to 9. We chose second sitting which I think most people did and it was extremely busy to the point of being quite stressful. Alot of the time we saw people sitting at other peoples tables and very long queues to get your food and a general canteen like atmosphere. To be honest if the bbq restaurant was open in the evening we would have eaten there as it's nice to eat outside whilst on holiday in the warm evening air. The food itself was very tasty and top quality but not enough variety. Fresh pasta station does pasta bolegnese every night with no variation. Fruit was usually melon or apple. Alcoholic Drinks are local brand and don't seem to be very strong, Same with the wine,but drinkable none the less.
Now for the best part . The animation team. These were the best entertainment team we have ever had on holiday. They work non stop to put on a fabulous day and night for us .The shows were brilliant and Ti ti and Mario are hilarious!! Fourat and Lama were absolutely fantastic Fourat has become like a tunisian son to us......They all absolutely made the holiday for us and we miss them all.
Don't like to grumble as the hotel and all it's staff are absolutely wonderful but another thing that wasn't great was the open day on Sunday. This is a day that all the locals can use all the facilities and pay a set price of about £30. This may be ok when the hotel isn't fully booked but when we were there the hotel was fully booked and on Sundays it all became extremely busy within the pool and restaurant areas and it just got overly busy with the extra families coming in.

The tunisian people that we met all made us feel very welcome and we will definately be going back to Tunisia again.If the evening meal was a different set up we would definately return to this hotel again.
As a tip takeyour own plastic pint cups for drinks around the pool as they use small paper ice cream style cups which are too small and go soggy after a while.

Room Tip: Refurbished room!
      Location
3 Thank rochelle l
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear rochelle l,

Thank you very much sharing your detailed and mostly positive feedback with us on TripAdvisor. We agree with you, it is high season and the hotel is very busy. To avoid a big rush we are organizing dinner in two sittings, we noticed the first sitting is much quieter than the second. We are providing food following the SENTIDO policy and Travelife that means essantialy local and seasonal food, which you kindly considered as tasteful. Thank you mentioning other positive details as the cleaniless, lovely refurbished room, lots of umbrellas, clear water, good watersports facilities, white sand and wonderful staff and entertainment.

We would be truly pleased welcoming you back – why not in a quieter season?

The SENTIDO Phenicia Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (866)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Just finished a fantastic week here. Lovely hotel, with good facilities, great food and friendly staff. Rooms are clean and in good condition. The outside areas are well kept and there is plenty of room so you will not be crammed in on your sun lounger (be it all you need to be up early to ensure you get one). No real complaints about anything. Just a very good all round hotel.

Stayed August 2014
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Paul B,

Thank you very much. We are pleased learning you spent a fantastic week with us at the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel and you had no real complaints about anything.

We are very much looking forward welcoming you back to exceed your expectations on your return.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

When searching for a hotel in Tunisia, the trip advisor reviews help me to make my choice, and I chose the Sentido Phenicia.

Although the hotel certainly wasn't bad, it also wasn't as good as the reviews suggested.

On arrival, we were welcomed with a refreshing drink, towel, and quick tour of the hotel which was all very good. Our cases were taken from us and quickly delivered to our room, 2099.

Some reviews have said that the corridors were not well lit, but I actually liked the corridors, the carpet, modern decoration, and blue lighting, it was unusual, in a good way.

The room was also fine in my opinion, it wasn't massive but it was more than big enough, it had a bath, and shower, a balcony over looking the entrance to the hotel, the beds were were comfortable also.

Myself and my wife are not really fans of beaches, so we only spent a couple of hours at the beach, just to try it out, and it was actually fine, there were plenty of loungers, and we were not hassled, as some other people who have done reviews clearly have been.

Most of our days were spent at the quieter pool, as all of the loungers by the main pool seemed to go very early. We only actually got loungers by the main pool on 1 day, and that was because someone offered us theirs, as they were leaving. The quieter pool was actually quite deep, I think the shallowest part was 1.4 metres, so if you have children you will be better off sticking to the main pool, which has more shallow areas, and is also where the animation team base themselves.

A lot of the reviews on here focused on the animation team, so much so that I was actually looking forward to meeting them all, but in actual fact we only spoke to 1 of them in the whole week we were there. His name was Titi, and he was actually really nice and funny, but that said we only real saw him when he was trying to sell us bingo tickets, or t-shirts. The staff in general were helpful, I had no real dealings with the reception staff, so cant comment on bad experiences others have had with them. A couple of the staff who served at L'Oasis bar through the day, I found to be quite miserable though.

Im a fussy eater, but still even so I found the food to be pretty bland to be honest, and certainly by the end of 1 week I was sick of the choice. I also had a bad stomach in the last 2 days, I think from the ravioli, so I lived on chips and bread after that. The snacks through the day were very poor in my opinion, bland pizza, cheeses, hams, and little eclairs etc.

I would like to have watched the entertainment in the evening, but I was put off by the fact that it was by the pool bar, who only served the paper coffee cups, the type that you get out of a vending machine. Yes people on here have advised to take plastic cups of your own, and I noticed when I was there that some people had even cut up plastic bottles and were using them, but the fact of the matter is you should not have to do this.

I have only had 1 previous experience of all inclusive, and that was at the Hilton Sharks Bay in Sharm El Sheikh, and in that hotel through the day you could order toasties, chips, burgers, etc from the pool bar, and your drinks were served in thick, none shatter, plastic glasses. I would seriously recommend to the Phenicia that they do something similar, and get rid of the small paper cups.

I also feel that you could improve the evening entertainment, maybe build a new area outside, with a bar next to it, serving proper glasses, and a waiter service, and put on shows with professional singers and dancers.

Overall I would say the Sentido Phenicia is a good hotel, but improvements could certainly be made. On my 2 previous holidays to Punta del Mar, Santa Ponsa, and Hilton's Shark Bay, Sharm El Sheikh, I would be more than happy to return, whereas I have no intention of coming back to this hotel, so I guess that in itself suggests that it didn't really live up to my expectations, which are not in fact all that high as I don't go abroad that much.

Don't let this review put you off, the hotel is by no means as bad as some people have suggested on there, but I am just trying to get across the point that it isn't that great either. It is somewhere in between

Sleep Quality
9 Thank K H
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear KH,

we would like to thank you for your constructive feedback .
Please be assured that your valuable comments and suggestions are positively taken on board and will be shared with the concerned managers and the team for corrective action where appropriated. We truly agree with you, improvements are always possible to ensure 100% of all our hosts would recommend the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel in the nearest future.

Best regards – we are looking forward welcoming you back one day to exceed your expectations on this occasion.
Telford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We have just returned from two weeks at the Sentido Phenicia and loved every moment.
This was our first visit to Tunisia and we were looking forward to a nice break.
The staff are really friendly and helpful and always had a smile.
We were in room 3068 and it was a really nice room overlooking the front of the hotel and got the sun in the late afternoon and it was nice and quiet.
The animation team work their socks off and put on really good shows in the evening along with a daytime programme.
The restaurant is not the best in the world but the food was always not and fresh, we enjoyed all our meals and our waiter was really attentive, we sat on table 131.
The only problem we found was the number of people in the late sitting made it a rush and very busy when it opened at 8-30 pm.
The Chinese restaurant is a must, the food is fantastic and the head waiter is really nice and friendly. We went in twice and were very well looked after.
It was a bit hard to find sun loungers around the pools as people tend to go down very early to put towels on them and not use them until late afternoon when the sun goes off them.
It was always easy to get loungers at the beach and the guys there would always find a bed for you.
All in all we had a really relaxing holiday and would recommend it to you if you are on your own, a couple or with family and friends no matter what your age.

Room Tip: Travel with Thomas Cook and get a refurbished room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John_ABC_182
Dear John_ABC_182,

thank you very much sharing your holiday experience with us on TripAdvisor. We are delighted learning you spent a wonderful holiday at the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel. Please be advised the first sitting is much quieter in the evening than the second one. Our pool attendant will be happy indicating you free sun loungers round the pool, we don't accept "booked" and not used sun loungers.

We would be happy welcoming you back to another wonderful holiday at the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed here from the 8th of August for a week with my boyfriend and have already booked to come back in October with a friend!!
This hotel is pretty much perfect - the rooms and food are the best we have had by far in any all inclusive in the past. I don't know why people think that it is too busy with long queues in the dining room, we didnt have to queue for anything and like I said the food is amazing with 4 live cooking stations. Its the first time I hav stayed at an all inclusive where some of the food is better than I have ever had at home.
All of the staff are brilliant - our drinks were filled up at dinner even before we put them back on the table and all of the staff are so friendly!
The reviews are 100% correct about the animation team. I can't quite put my finger on what it is but they work so hard to speak to everyone and give everybody a great holiday. I actually don't know when they sleep! I even loved the evening shows (which for some reason have some negative reviews) but I would much rather watch this than watch an overweight belly dancer and a man spinning some cloth above his head which I have seen waaay too many times at other hotels. Some of them are amazing dancers.
I just have one negative about my stay here which was the sea view. I paid extra for this but all I could really see was a tree! It didnt matter though as we were barely in our room but next time i will be asking for a Pool View!

To sum it up this whole hotel has the best atmosphere and I am counting down the days until I go back in October!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank Shannon Marie E
Dear Shannon Marie E,

thank you very much sharing your review on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased learning your stay with us at the SENTIDO Phenicia has been perfect in a way you will be back in october.
Please let us know if you would like a sea view room without any tree, we will be happy
to help.

Looking forward welcoming you back in just a couple of months
ASHFORD, KENT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We arrived as a party of 9 and were greeted with cold drinks and our cases taken to our rooms.
Good choice of food but there are queues in the dining room.
Animation team were brilliant, Lama, Titi, Mario etc, very entertaining. Loads of activities, archery, yoga, water aerobics, volleyball etc.
Rooms are very clean and plenty big enough. Sunbeds go very quickly in the morning unless you are up at 7 every day!
The only thing we missed was not being able to walk to some shops or bars etc.You have to get a taxi into Hammamet Yasmin which is about 5km away.
The quad bike trip was fantastic! So good we went again! The camel ride trip was ok too, photos are very cheap £2 each. The beach is very clean but the men with camels are crafty. If you try and stroke a camel or take a photo of them they practically throw themselves on you trying to make you have a ride on the camel.Too pushy.
Watersports are good too, jetski was fun!
Worth the money, but out of the hotel the streets are dirty with rubbish laying around everywhere.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms overlooking the pools are best as you have a small garden and you're abou...
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank JESSPI
Dear JESSPI,

thank you sharing your holiday -feedback with us on TripAdvisor. Your positive comments with regards to the facilities at the hotel are highly appreciated: very clean rooms,good choice of food, good watersports and a brilliant animation team.

We would be more than pleased welcoming you back in the nearest future, why not during a quieter season.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Greatly disappointed after having read so many positive reviews before selecting this as our family holiday destination. It does question the validity of the positive reviews & who is actually writing them!? Having travelled extensively & experienced real 4 star establishments, it is apparent that the standard awarded to the Phenicia is grossly exaggerated. Thomas Cook et al please go under cover & see for yourselves. This hotel should not be a premium listing in your brochures that attracts a premium price tag.

Pro's - it was sunny, the pools, the pool bar staff, the sun bed attendant (please get a trolley !)

Cons - the reception experience, lack of detail to cleanliness of bedroom, failure to restock refreshments I.e coffee, sugar, t-bags, air conditioning unit noisy, temperature control of water poor, corridors dark & poorly lit, steps leading to main restaurant dangerously long & poorly marked edges ( beware), restaurant management poor, too small for number of guests, frequent shortage of cutlery, too frequent lengthy waits for food, variation of food infrequent, average waiter service, quality of drinks poor, paper cup policy , littered grounds & beach, entertainment poor to average (try employing professionals occasionally) ,inappropriate behaviour exhibited by entertainment staff ( not all), the fluctuating prices of snacks in the shop, battle for the sun beds.

Overall very dissatisfied considering the thousands of hard earned pounds that we were relieved of by Thomas Cook!!

Room Tip: Book a room as far away from The Phenecia !
7 Thank Clive S
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Clive S,

Thank you sharing your comment with us on TripAdvisor. We are more than disappointed to learn we couldn't meet your expectations on this occasion. We apologize if you didn't make the same good holiday experience as many other guests. Your comment will be forwarded to the concerned managers to have a look on it and to take the appropriated measures where required.
We would wish welcoming you back one day - to make up for any inconveniences you might have experienced.