“30th September 2013”

Ranked #37 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
Andover, United Kingdom
“30th September 2013”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I have never stayed in such a dump in all my life and I am well travelled. Don't know quite were to start, we went all inclusive and the food and drink was shocking, we ended up eating out and buying our own wine. The staff where rude and uniforms scruffy and dirty. I will never go back ever again, 4 star I would not even give it 1. Said ATM currency exchange nothing, at all, said room service, got told tomorrow. Walk to the beach was disgusting with sewage smell and electrical wire hanging out of what looked like street lamps that were no longer there. The graffiti on the wall of buildings and rubbish all over the place was shocking. They even man handled one of our cases so bad the handle was broken when we arrived. We were eaten alive by hundreds of flies, invaded by feral cats. We had planned to take our Daughter and Granddaughter thank goodness we did not. One last thing to pool had algae growing on the bottom and staff thought it funny to push my husband in the deep end on one occasion, not knowing whether he could swim or not and that he has two fractures in his spine. Shocking is all I can stay

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dee P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel is so run down it reminds me of faulty towers! The hotel needs to be closed down for a through health and safety check! The place is a dump, the food I wouldn't give to my dog it's so appalling, I had an upset stomach throughout my stay there the entire time. The rooms are embarrassing, so very very dated and are in desperate need of a refurb! The pool is a major health and safety hazard, the bridge over the pool is extremely dangerous and needs addressing! The animation team are lovely guys and try there best, costumes could do with changing they are hideous!. There was a pool party one night at the hotel and it was a disc race! The hotel is now full of Russians, Polish and French and Germans, hardly any English which is a real shame as the standards of this hotel have dropped dramatically! To conclude: close the hotel and refurbish it, give it a full health and safety check, get better quality food and bring back the English, French, German and Dutch and Italians! It's such a shame as the hotel has the potential to be better than it is!. I will definitely NEVER be staying at this hotel again!

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank SparkleAngel30

Travellers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

First things first this was not my first choice hotel - I booked last minute at another hotel but was contacted a few days before travelling to be told it was overbooked so I was given this as an alternative. So maybe I am biased, but I will try to be honest. Firstly this is not a 4* hotel. It has the potential to be, and am sure it once was, but not anymore, not by British standards anyway.

On our first day we met with our rep and it seemed most of the other British guests were so unhappy that they were prepared to pay £350 to move to another hotel. We did not have the funds to do this but it didn't instil confidence in us that all would be good with our holiday!

I will list my gripes in order of irritation!:

1 - flies everywhere. Whilst sunning yourself by the pool they will irritate you like crazy. Mosquito spray only gave relief for a few minutes at a time.

2 - general cleanliness. I did not see the pool being cleaned once in the two weeks of my holiday. The tables by the pool were never cleaned. Generally the standard of cleanliness left a lot to be desired. This didn't put me off swimming though and the pool was a great size and very user friendly (gently sloping like a beach).

3 - walk to the beach. This was a very unappetising walk. It didn't take too long (10 minutes maximum) but it was an ugly walk, the local men treated my 20 year old daughter with such disrespect, and on the approach to the beach the raw sewage spewing out left us heaving. Admittedly this only happened on our first two days but the stench on the way to the beach, and the knowledge we were treading over an area prone to be flooded by raw sewage did not make us want to take the journey. The beach itself was fine but full of cigarette butts and other rubbish. Such a shame that holiday makers treat the beach with such disrespect. The sea was lovely, very clear, warm water and very little seaweed. The food at the beach was fine - lunch provided each day. You do get some locals trying to sell their goods but they will not hassle you too much. Be wary of the camels, if you want to take a photo the owners will offer you to sit on the camel, before you know it you are off along the beach and then they try to make you pay a fortune. We did not fall for this but saw many a guest succumb.

4 - a cold/fever spread around the hotel like wildfire - it seemed every guest and member of staff was suffering at some point during the two weeks of our stay. Having a cold whilst on holiday in the heat was not pleasant - perhaps we were just unlucky but the main issue was lack of loo roll/tissue during this period. We ended up robbing any loo we could find, and the dining room of napkins, just to be able to deal with our running noses! Not fun...

5 - air conditioning in our room. Maybe we were just unlucky but the air con did not work well during our stay despite us reporting it every day for the first week. We gave up in the end and just endured the heat, which from 8th-22nd Sept was approx. 28-30 degrees, so not horrendous but a bit uncomfortable. I did not want to move rooms as we did this after the first night and the room we were moved to have a lovely view of the pool, with a glimpse of the sea, and the shower and loo worked ok so I counted us kind of lucky! Having a room overlooking the main pool did mean it was noisy due to being close to the evening entertainment but our earplugs worked a treat.

Positives: our maid was very friendly and regularly left flowers on our beds in the room. To be honest I cannot say how often the sheets were changed but the room was cleaned to a reasonable standard. You can also get bottled water from the main bar as often as you want - so I would recommend this rather than filling up at the water point in the restaurant. The food was ok. No full English breakfast but plenty to keep you going. Eggs and pancakes, fresh bread and pastries for breakfast. The usual for lunch and dinner for an all inclusive. Don't expect to see many British guests. The vast majority of guests are from Russia, France and Germany and the entertainment caters for this. The staff do speak English well, so no problems communicating. They put us to shame being able to speak at least English, French, German and Russian, as well as some others, I am sure. The entertainment team seemed to work hard although they did not speak to us once during the holiday. However had we shown some interest in the activities available I am sure they would have.

Overall for the money paid this was not a disaster of a holiday but I am in no rush to go back to Tunisia. If I were to visit Hammamet again I think I would go to Yasmin Hammamet as this seemed cleaner and tourist friendly. The part of Hammamet this hotel is in is right in the heart of the local area which may be seen as a plus but it is very dirty and the men are very disrespectful if you are women on your own (I went with my 20 year old daughter who was just constantly leered after). We ventured out to the Medina and went on trips to Tunis, Carthage and Sidi Bou Siad. I would recommend both as an experience but be prepared to have to barter for mostly tat and be hassled hard by the traders. If you find this fun and all part of the experience then great.

If you are looking for a luxury experience I would definitely not recommend this hotel - you do get what you pay for and if your budget will stretch to 5* I would got for it and give this place a miss. If you are on a budget and are not too fussy then you may well enjoy the place.

2 Thank BizzieLizzie2101
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I'll keep it brief as no one wants to read an entire page of waffle...just returned from a week here, such good fun, but I'll keep the review solely based on the hotel...

The good:
- Good food, with a lot of variety. I am quite a fussy eater abroad and found that I ate well every day
- Awesome pool with more than enough loungers for everyone
- Location from Enfidha airport - would recommend speedy shuttle as it only took half an hour
- The staff (mostly)...IMHO they were as helpful as they could be (some may disagree I'm sure) and friendly enough. For the money you pay for this place, you aren't going to get silver service so don't expect it
- The animation team. Extremely hard workers, relentless in fact, and good at what they do.

The bad:
- Flies. A ridiculous thing to mention as one cannot seemingly control nature, but around the pool/outside bar was an obscene amount of flies. So annoying. If they washed the area down more, it would curb the problem.
- Decor. It was obviously quite a luxurious hotel when built, but little maintenance.decoration has been undetaken since. This didn't bother us though, as we had some idea of what to expect.
- Myself and friends in another room had £20 taken from our wallets mid-week. Bit of a dampener! Be careful with your money and I advise you stash it somewhere discreet and random. Apparently it was 80 Dinar for a safe deposit box, who knows if this was refundable or not...
- No WiFi in the rooms, just reception. It was basic WiFi that did the job, but really in 2013 it should be in every room
- Diet Coke isn't part of the all-inclusive. Neither is tonic water. Who'd have thought it...!
- The alcohol. I can't even express how watered down it was! We resorted to blitzing our duty free vodka it was THAT weak!
- Not many English here; mostly Russian and German. We didn't mind this, however...but if you're looking for 'English comforts' then go elsewhere

Overall, the above may sound pretty bad but it is an honest review. I had one of the best holidays I've ever had, purely because of the people and not the place. I personally am very easy to please when on holiday, and am realistic enough not to expect super luxury for a £400 all inc week away.

I would recommend this hotel if you're looking for a cheap, relaxing week away in the sun with friends/your other half and are savvy enough to realise that for their prices, the place is a fair deal.

Room Tip: Beware of the extremely loud nightclub that faces the hotel's entrance...it goes on 'til the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank gemma_f_85
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed here from the 4th September until the 11th.We arrived and the same as above they couldn't get us in the room.We had to sleep in the reception.We then were offered a room when a couple of guests had left in the morning.They took us to the room and the porter was changing the bed and the rest of the room hadn't been touched.Dirty knickers from the previous guests,a used condom on bathroom floor.The towel rail was hanging out of the room.The room was filthy.They said just to have a sleep and a new room would be ready for us the next day.I had to ask the receptionist said we would get a room by 2pm.After 2pm I had to ask yet again.They knew nothing about my problem and asked if I was happy in my room.Which I certainly wasn't.Then at 4pm I was given my new room.Which was fine.
The food was discusting. The food was the same each day,fish and chicken.Us as a family all had a touch of food poisoning.Me and my partner have been ill for 9 days.
This place was recommended by Thomas Cook.
This was a holiday from hell.
The cleaners didn't come into our room until 6pm.
The room was never cleaned properly.The beds were made that was it.
The towels stunk of popcorn.
Disapointment thats all I can say about this holiday.

1 Thank Karen D
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We booked this hotel in March for a trip starting 07/09/13. Our plane was delayed and when we got to the hotel (at 02:30) we were given a bottle of water and asked to wait in the bar while they sorted our rooms out. 2 hours later we were told there was no reservation for us!!

They offered us a room to sleep in together for the night (4 adults - myself, my fiancee, her daughter and son in law) and couldn't understand why we objected!!! Eventually a 2nd room was found.

The room was a disgrace - broken taps, shower not working, broken fridge, no air conditioning, dirty floor, filthy smelly towels, balcony covered in flaking paint from the walls, mattress was as hard as a brick and loud music playing until 07:30.

We went back to reception (past broken chairs, full ashtrays and used glasses and bottles from the previous night) to be given a letter saying our rep would be in the hotel by 09:30 and we should have breakfast while we waited.

The dining room was disgusting - food scraps on the floor from the previous night, grease stained table cloths, napkins left and not changed between diners.

My fiancee was almost in tears it was that bad.

Sonia (day manager) is a lovely lady, she tried to help, offering upgrades and free meals and massages to entice us to stay, but she agreed the hotel was very dirty due to 'lack of staff over Ramadan and a lot of guests'.

Luckily our rep, Maher, found us another hotel that evening - unfortunately the other 2 couples and single traveller who had the same complaints weren't that lucky.

This could be a lovely hotel - but it needs refurbished and deep cleaned - oh and to read up on basic hygiene requirements.

Room Tip: Find one in a different hotel
2 Thank Doc218
Reviewed 12 September 2013

People there were really nice and they have done everything you wanted,when we arrived we were greeted with drinks and they took care of us during the stay.
Hotel was great and clean, also rooms.
Food - big tasty offer.
Animation's team - guys without their animation's boss were amazing.

• Stayed August 2013