“Last minute getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #65 of 122 Hotels in Hammamet
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
“Last minute getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

My partner, myself and our son stayed at the green golf hotel which is actually in jasmine hammamet.

Feeling cautious when we arrived as seen some bad reviews. Some people really need to get a grip of themselves, there is nothing wrong with the cleanliness of this hotel. Yes the rooms are fairly basic but they are quite large and are cleaned, swept, mopped every day and we had our bed linen changed most days. We saw pool man cleaning pool every night, and there was no reserving of sun beds, plenty to go round. There was always plenty of hot water and we had a shower (powerful) and a bath (narrow).

Meals, we stayed half board and never had a problem with the meals, hot and plentiful. the dining room is a bit on the small side and we couldn't understand when the hotel was full they didn't open the second restaurant, however we found that if we went down for the evening meal between seven and seven thirty we were normally the early birds. The restaurant staff work extremely hard, and are constantly changing the table linen, the certainly needed to as be noticed that most of the guests are like complete pigs, piling their plates with everything they could lay their hands on. Most of the guests were North African and we noticed that they got, their starters, mains, salads and deserts all at the same time and most of the time didn't even eat half of it, just leaving in on the tables (and often all over the floors). After seeing this we were surprised that the cost of staying in this hotel wasn't double just t cover the wasted food costs.

The pool restaurant does a good selection of food and is very cheap, cheaper than in town. Lovely baguette sandwich, served with chips x 2 and a large pizza with drinks x 3 came in at less than a tenner. if you don't want to sit at the tables they will bring it to where you are sitting round the pool.

The pool area is cleaned every night and all the beds put indoors, there is a small park area but this does need sorting out desperately, some of the swings and slides were broken.

There is also a lifeguard on duty at the pool, and he kept a very keen eye on all the kids.

The beech itself could do with tidying up, tourists have a lot to answer for.

Now I will come to the downside and the only problem we had with this hotel.

THEFT. We had a key for the safety deposit box and didn't need t use it for a few days. The day we needed some money and the key could not be found, Stupid yes to heave it in the drawer hidden in a sock (that's men for you). We took every item of clothing out of the wardrobe and drawers and checked every pocket, Shoe , socks etc. We also checked in our dirty laundry which was in a suitcase, nothing,. I also checked my purse to make sure key was not there and found 15 dinar had gone, i know exactly how much was in the purse as i had just left this small amount there for pop and stuff round the pool. starting to panic now as we had everything in the deposit box we went to reception to tell them, explained that the key had gone and that we were extremely worried. The man on reception checked and no key had been handed in, he told us that the manager would be arriving soon and he had they key to the master box. We went back to the room checked everything again, nothing, back to reception still no manager, 1pm he arrives. Master key obtained, everything in deposit box nothing touched thankfully. We were told we would have to pay 20 dinar for a new key, this then went up t 30 dinar and then the lady who worked behind reception and was also in charge of chambermaids etc upped it to 50 dinar. by this time we were beginning t smell a rat, and we got rather angry and told them that they had a thief or two operating in their hotel. We told them that we didn't want that chambermaid in our room and that if anything else when missing we would call the police. That day we obviously missed our trip so decided to go the next day and we were out of the hotel from 7am to 11pm. the following day my partner was getting ready to go to the beach and as he took his swim shorts out of the small case where he had been keeping them, he dropped them, hearing a clunk he picked them up, dropped them again, clunk. yes you guessed it, the key had been put into the pocket of his swim shorts. Please note reader that he hadn't worn this item of clothing yet so had no need to put key here, we think that the key was put here thinking that the shorts had already been worn and were dirty laundry and wouldnt be discovered until we got home, thereby leaving us believing that we had mislaid the key, and thereby enabling the chambermaid and the "partner" to share the 50 dinar.

As you can imagine we were pretty relieved but very angry and went t reception, at this point I will add that I speak fluent French and had a long and Heated discussion with her and let her have it all barrels, wiping the smug smile off her face and alerting in the process a large amount of hotel guests as to what had been happening. Needless to say we also demanded and got our 50 dinar back.

We encountered no further problems and we didn't see that particular chambermaid for the rest of our holiday (about 10 days) and we also noticed that the receptionist lady/manageress/scammer scuttled off when we passed through reception. I will add at this point that we do not think that anyone else was involved in this little scam and the Guys behind reception are absolutely brilliant and cannot do enough for you, helping with information, booking, trains, busses etc.

Overall we had a lovely holiday, nice and relaxing (apart from above) and would consider staying there if we were ever in Tunisia again.

I have to also add at this point that I have been to Tunisia 4 times spanning a 20+ year period and have noticed however that the country is getting tatty and very dirty and seriously needs sorting out.

Room Tip: 236 is a nice quiet room, pool view and you cannot hear the noise from reception, or the evening out...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
kent uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Just returned from 7 days here and for the price it was ok. Pool was clean, free sunbeds, clean rooms (especially as chambermaid cleaned even when not asked to). Pool side drinks service and decent pool cafe. Downside: no WIFI until last 2 days, bathrooms need new baths as tatty, breakfast basic for Tunisia ( usually a much larger choice) and slow at bringing out food. All together worth a chance and going back later in the year as ideally situated for shops, restaurants etc. One word of warning: a lot of the locals are pushier than in recent years and keep saying that they 'work' in my hotel in an attempt to start up conversations although ess restricted since the revolution and less tourists so haggling better than ever.

Room Tip: Hotel is quiet so all rooms should be ok.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank OnamissionKentUk
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

arrived late, but quickly shown into our room,despite booking error being quickly and efficiently sorted out.
room was large, twin beds plus sofa bed and kitchenette.
huge balcony.child friendly and high enough to feel secure.clean and lovely at night as quite peacefull.
bathroom was standard and clean.
pool...large,clean but basic.surrounding grounds very green but bit bare areound immediate pool area. lifeguard was great and really watched the children! i was impressed by this as most just seem to hang about doing very little. music by the pool. friendly guests.mainly arabic visitors.

food...well!

we stayed b and b....it was ok but offputting to me were the other guests,who looked like they had not been fed for months,grabbing everything in site.
i had considered upgrading,but on first night saw a similar show and decided not to bother. my daughter and i walked up to lemdina,just up the road and ate in one of the resteraunts there. for 25tdn we had a nice meal with wine,bread and diet coke for two people. good portions also.

we had lunch at the hotel.it was nice and on the terrace,alfresco, by the pool. reasonably priced and a good menu incl pizza,spaghetti,salads,sandwiches and drinks.
bar is nice with lots of seating space.
polite and friendly staff.
i would stay here again,but dont expect anything more than 3 star uk.
for me it was necessary due to family visit but v busy after ramadan.

if you have children,the kitchenette has electric top stove,handy for snacks or milk etc and has a fridge also.

amenities locally include toysland store for pool items for kids, phone cards etc and bravo supermarket for water,milk, groceries and cooked food if peckish eg pizza,sandwich,chicken.
lemdina is a huge old medina up he road,with shops,resteraunts and club etc.
fixed price stores for souvenirs,bank,post office and pharmacy.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank turkishdelight14
Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Sayed here last October 2012 as a couple and having read previous reviews was expecting a lot worse than what we found. The hotel was well presented with a fruit cocktail on arrival. Staff were friendly although some peoples politeness depended on tippage. You dont get much extra for tipping other than a smile so i would suggest tipping just at the end of the holiday.
The cleaners did a good job with the room, each day it was clean and nicely presented with towels folded into swans on the bed and rose petals on the last day - lovely.
During our stay we did a few excursions, the best ones we did were the two day sahara trip with a ride on camels in the Sahara desert and jeep ride into the atlas mountains and the wildlife park where we swam with dolphins for about £60 each, what an experience! Tip though if only one wants to do it take your own pictures from a far as the disc with them on was about £20!
The locals were very 'buggy'. It was hard at first to ignore them but it ended up the only way to get down the street. They will say things to provoke you into responding but will alaways end in asking you to buy somerthing you dont really want for alot more than it's worth, check out the local supermarkets for the same things at a set price. Rolling tobacco is very hard to come by i wouldnt even try. We got taken into many shops with the promise of retrieving some golden virginia, never actually found any over the two weeks we were there! (Although plenty of cheap cigarettes) If you're strong willed and can say a firm 'NO' you'll be fine, don't feel you have to buy a thing, stick to supermarkets.
All in all was pleasant enough, we lazed round the pool most days because even on the beach there were persistant sellers.
The food was bearable but lacked varity, so for two weeks got a bit bored of meat and rice. Bread was lovely and meal wise you get what you pay for.
Nice sized pool, had it to ourselves most days and was peaceful with lovely gardens.
A basic, affordable two weeks in the sun. Again you get what you pay for
It was more than expected but not as bad as others have said with the free fridge and air con a great bonus!
Worth a visit for a cheap holiday as a couple....

Room Tip: For couples ask for a double bed they do have them not just x2 twins pushed together. Pool facing r...
2 Thank Lisa P
Pool, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel for the first 2 weeks of October. Firstly the good points: In general I liked the position of the hotel being next to the marina etc, the outdoor pool was of average size and set in nice gardens with adequate sunbeds. The first week the food was barely edible but the second week it improved immensely and when I asked a waiter about this I was informed there was a different chef working that week. The cleaners were very good in my opinion and had flower petals put on my bed once or twice, nice touch! and my room and public areas smelt of jasmine after the cleaners had been around.

At the hotel there is a very mixed clientelle from all nationalities but I expected this anyway and not a problem. On the whole the waiters etc were very helpful and friendly but for the exception of 2 in particular. They were rude on occasion and I got the impression they didnt like serving a western woman holidaying alone or maybe they dont like English people full stop? Once my breakfast was removed when it was obvious I hadnt finished with it and had just gone to get another coffee and another time I asked for a drinks menu and the waiter handed it to an older lady I had befriended on holiday so as to belittle me I felt. I always treat people with friendliness and respect and did not deserve the attitude shown to me by these 2 waiters. On the plus side the other waiters couldnt have been more helpful.

Now the worst parts of the holiday: The reception staff were absolutely no help when I was having great difficulty getting any money out of the local banks on the second week of my holiday. There seems to be a real problem in Tunisia with a shortage of dinars. It took several nerve-racking days and several banks to eventually get money out. I went inside the banks with a passport and Lloyds debit card and was told they couldnt help me yet there appeared to be no money in their ATM. Absolute nightmare! At the hotel they werent any better and I had to use my card to pay for drinks etc up-front but then their machine played up and wouldnt accept my card but thank god not long after this I was able to get the money I needed from another bank I hadnt previously tried.

Lastly, when the head receptionist knew I had at last got some money she suggested booking in advance a taxi to the airport for my departure day. On the day itself I found out the receptionist had booked some guy they must use and not a proper taxi. To cut a long story short he took me almost to Tunis airport when I kept asking him in English and French if he was sure he was taking me to Enfidha airport. Although I was sitting in the back of the car he twice tried to put his hand between my legs and had to push him off. With the stress of this and the fact I was terrified I would not get to the correct airport before check-in closed I was in a state of panic. In the end the flight was delayed by half an hour and because he drove flat out in the fast lane I was able to catch my flight. All in all it was a terrible traumatic day and I wont be in a hurry to go back to Tunisia and definitely not The Green Golf Hotel!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Margaret F
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

Spent 2 wks at the Green Golf Hotel on B & B basis. The breakfast choice was very good with lots of choice which being a vegetarian is hard to find in Tunisia! The coffee was hot but the tea was luke warm. Obviously being in Tunisia it's generally Tunisian in style! One English couple were overheard telling the chef have to do 'proper' boiled eggs! Near by are restaurants where we went to eat in the evenings. We mainly ate in the Marina area where the food was nice and very reasonably priced. We tried the Medina once but restaurants are more expensive & the waiters far more aggressive in their approach to get you to eat in their establishment. Not conducive at all to a relaxing meal out! The reception staff at the Green Golf were generally polite & helpful. One was less so, who on a Sunday would not (or could not) exchange our travellers cheques despite the fact there was nowhere else open & we had a very early morning excursion the next day which we needed money for. He told us he had phoned the hotel opposite & they would cash them but when we went there they said he had lied and they'd received no such call....they also refused to cash them! The waiters were always on the look out for a way to make some cash....so would overcharge for food/drink or short change you. We learnt to always be aware of prices before we paid the bill & have the correct change if possible. This practice went on pretty much everywhere we went so not specific to The Green Golf. Unfortunately for the waiters it meant they didn't get tipped...as for me they provided a dishonest service which is unacceptable! The maids however did a very nice job in the rooms, even putting rose petals down on one occasion.....so they did get tipped! We initially had a room at the front of the hotel but immediately on asking they moved us to a room overlooking the pool which was much nicer. The rooms are large & have a fridge & air conditioning (which we weren't charged extra for!) which was needed as even in October it was 30 degrees. We had spoken to others staying in a 5 star hotel down the road who'd had their air conditioning in the hotel switched off, so this was a definite plus for the Green Golf. Apparently we found out at the end of the holiday there was an entertainment manager on site, but all he did was put music on throughout the day...there was no entertainment whilst we were there. One day it rained so we asked if we could use the indoor pool, but was told it was closed for maintenance. We also tried to use the pool table but it was broken, so lost our money in it. We informed reception but they did not offer to refund our money, just suggested we try again by putting more money in it! On the whole the Green Golf Hotel is fairly rated as a 3 star hotel & is good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool.....quieter & far nicer view than the front road.
2 Thank claire t
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

Stayed for 10 days here with my boyfriend.We had a room with balcony overlooking pool was nice..it was on 2nd flloor..hotel goes up to 3 floors.its a very basic hotel and good for an overnight stay..or if you want quitness and peace..lots of older people here,,not many english..no entertainment..the food was tunisian..and was warm to cold each evening.told the chef but nothing improoved...only enjoyed the puddings....breakfast was very basic..toast..or tunisian food..didnt like the look of it..on the plus side the rooms were a nice size and had a fridge and balcony..the hotel is right near the blue ice shop..where u can get water drinks and a few choices of food..icecream and the marina and beach...The pool was basic meduium size..but plenty of sun loungers and matresses all free...would not go half board again..here..ok if you want a cheap place to stay and eat out and look for entertainment elsewhere..down the road is le le baya and iberostar chich kahn..we used to go in there for entertainment and may book these hotels in future cos they seemed lovely.

Room Tip: ask for balcony room overlooking pool if you have kids asked for a room with an interconnecting door...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Hammamet hotels