“Wonderful”
Review of Hotel Manar

Hotel Manar
Ranked #2 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Another wonderful holiday at a first choice Holiday Village, we have previously stayed at 4 villages and this time we stayed at Holiday Village Manar in Tunisia. We were not disappointed. Stayed from 31/07/14 to 10/08/14 with my husband and son (16) and daughter (14), we wanted a chilled and relaxing holiday and this is exactly what we had. Apart from going to the market we didn't really go far from the hotel, the pools were lovely and enough sunbeds so that we didn't have to get up in the early hours to claim them, there were always plenty of spare sunbeds on the beach.
Staff were lovely, both the entertainment team and the hotel staff. Would stay here again in the future although we do like to go to different places.

Room Tip: We had a family room in Manar 2 overlooking the sea and the view was amazing.
3  Thank Joanne H
There are newer reviews for Hotel Manar

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Spent a week at HVmanar in August .the hotel staff are really polite and hard working and I felt very safe.the entertainment team are the best I have come across. The beach is clean and security good on it .our room was a superior two bedroomed apartment in manar 2 ,it had panoramic sea views from every window and was huge .in my opinion worth the upgrade instead of the swim up rooms as they are a lot smaller with little privacy.excellent choice of food although it is like a school canteen ,discovered a table outside on our last night and wished I had gone there earlier in the week . The downsides for me is I got stir crazy as I like to go out in evening but there is nothing outside hotel.so spent every night in lobby bar which for me in monotonous ,if you have young children and want to put them in kids clubs all day and night and not venture out then this is for you .my children are 14 and 10 and are not interested in kids clubs and if they hadn't made friends would of been very bored .i am not being negative about hotel as I've said before it's staff is excellent . But regardless of it being all inclusive we would still go out of hotel and buy drinks and meals out which we couldn't do ,we are not of the mentality of thinking we are not going to spend money as we've paid for all inclusive .overall had a good holiday in a lovely hotel but I wouldn't rave on about it sorry

Room Tip: 2 bedroomed apartment in manar 2 has got best sea views and they are enormous
4  Thank Blondelocks
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is a resort that gives itself a 5 T rating and as such commands a premium price, we paid just over 5 Grand for 3 paying individuals (our below 2 travelling free).

There are some good points about this resort. The family rooms are comfortable and very well air conditioned which is a must in a climate which touches 40 degrees during the height of the day. There are a number of swimming pools for the kids to chose from and the slides, high ropes feature and astro turf are a great addition. The access to the beach and availability of water sports is good and they are reasonably priced although having paid so much I did feel this wasn't necessary. Food and drink is all inclusive and there is a wide variety of food available thorough out the day. Drinks are as stated local beer and spirits but the selection isn't standard in each location, especially outside of the bars in the hotel where you are limited eg pool bar and world eating area.

The downsides for me were the things that I guess are the difference between a three star hotel and a five. I found the holiday village team tried hard with the kids but were a bit staged and one dimensional they found it very difficult to be flexible or accommodate different things in the programme, openly admitting that 'yes other people had asked for that but we haven't bothered to do it'. There were times when I experienced one of the 'ents' (as they refer to themselves) acting like a spoiled child. Whilst the majority of the local staff are welcoming I found a number were surly and miserable. There is a gym on site but the cardio vascular machines are poorly maintained and in a number of cases have broken buttons or foot straps, there is also no air conditioning. I was also disappointed by the towel change process as you are limited to how many times you can change your pool towels. The baggage allowance included in the flights is only 20kg (5kg is taken up by most cases) therefore if you don't bring your own towels be prepared to use the same ones for 3 or 4 days (and stop the little ones weeing on them!).

2  Thank Andy P
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed 11 nights from 2nd July (which was just right for us) / 2 adults + kids age 16&3. Paid bit extra for 2 bed appt(about £400) but well worth it with 2 bathrooms 2 balconies / fab views right in front of beach. Room 2314 manar 2. Although bit of a walk to main building I thought location better as you have the activity pool/kids club on your doorstep. The activity pool also has a swim up bar so what more do you need... Staff / food / entertainment brilliant all as with other reviews so no need to repeat - any place that has staff named regularly in reviews says it all....
If thinking of booking the family swim-up rooms they are also in manar 2. They look great, overlook the beach and have loads of green space for kids to run around. Will try to add some photos.
So what would have helped to be aware of before we went that isn't mentioned much - as follows:-
- read up/ask someone what to do about the registration forms given out on plane (I still don't even know what they are for...)
- if flying back Sunday morning about 10.30 ish be prepared for chaos in the airport. Lots and lots and lots of queuing. Unless you are lucky its unlikely you will have any time in duty free(so bear this in mind with un-used dinar). Also as it's a closed currency you can't spend on plane either.
- if like us your flight is changed to nouvelair out of uk (we flew from Bristol) this means you can't check-in online so ignore all the warnings about API passenger info.
- because of chaos at airport coming home I would suggest making up/buying food to take with you. Our flight(was Thomson plane on way home) ran out of all meals and hot snacks by the time they got to us so we could only buy crisps/chocolate.
- tipping. If like us you like to have a few pre-dinner drinks on the balcony it's worth tipping mini-bar guy. Not only will he keep you topped up with water/milk/tea&coffee if you ask he will leave you a bottle of vino.
- there is a Disney film played every day which is handy (just find channel on your TV).
- no DVD player in room but some portable ones can be connected up to TV with the right cables so bear this in mind if you have toddlers etc...
- wifi amazing. We had full signal in room and even at the activity pool so your teenagers will be well happy.
- be wary of ice cubes. Me&wife both had dodgy bellies for few days until we stopped having ice(we ate differently every day so not the food) however also chatted with other people who had ice with no issues - hence not 100% was the ice but is best guess.
- free towels provided for each person but bear in mind you may be charged if you lose one. You have to hand back into the towel place the day before to get the cards back.

It's very easy to write an essay about this place (all good) so I have tried to keep to info you may find helpful to know about.

You can book with confidence!!

Stayed: July 2014
15  Thank db_newport
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Amazing all inclusive hotel with great beach, friendly staff and lots of entertainment and facilities. The food was excellent all week and we never got bored. Was good to relax before me and my partner both started new jobs. Even the amount of children in the resort didn't put us off. Everyone seemed to be having a great time whoever they were and that was what it was all about. Special mention to the two male singers in the bar in the evening. They were excellent and their versions of some songs were even better than the originals. Would love to hear more of them. We had one of the swim up rooms for the week. Although they aren't really swim up rooms people on the 1000+ reviews on here who say they aren't worth it are totally wrong. Our pool outside our room had sun from 7:30am so was great to have a few quiet hours there after breakfast before heading out to the more lively parts of the resort. Very good to get in after one too many drinks in the evenings too as the weather was gorgeous and the water never got cold. Got the extra cash and get one. You won't be disappointed. They are quite romantic at night when everyone goes elsewhere in the resort and you can jump in and they are all lit up in blue

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just returned from 10 nights, we stayed in a family room which was great however lack of balcony /terrace meant it was impossible to dry clothes/towels .
It was very clean and staff worked continuously to keep the standard up.
All the staff were so friendly I've never met such friendly people, no pushy sales from the spa or camel men.

Food was delicious so much to choose from and it was very rare for there not to be something one of us didn't like,
We had an amazing waiter heikill. We tipped him and he treated us like royalty!

The first choice staff were all so lovely, davie is fantastic so good with the children.

The lady ga ga act and Jon Clegg impressionist was so good, highly entertaining .

I found the amphitheatre very uncomfortable and ended up with a really bad back. The evening entertainment was good, however sitting through bingo and quizzes every night waiting for the main act did become tedious and boring.

Cocktails were amazing recommend the swimming pool one!

We went on the pirate boat trip which was so enjoyable had such a nice fun time.

Bad points were the sunbed hauders, very frustrating in the end I was getting up at 6am just to get a sun bed ! Some people were even putting towels down overnight then not turning up till 13.30! Think staff need to remove towels from people that arnt down there by 9 as I found this completely ruined the holiday,

Overall had a lovely time , would highly recommend it and would def go back

Room Tip: One with a balcony or even better swim up room!
8  Thank Chris W
Reviewed 18 August 2014

First time we've stayed at a holiday village and we all had a brilliant time. My wife, son aged 12 and I stayed for 7 days w/o 11th Aug.
Enfidha – Airport : ours and lots of others experience of entering Tunisia wasn't a great start to the holiday. delays at passport control meant we spent over 2 hours waiting before the first choice coach left for the hotel. (Tip: have a pen for the flight as you need to complete a green form to enter Tunisia). These delays weren't first choices fault. However, they could have let everyone know what was happening and handed out bottles if water etc.

Hotel : really is an excellent standard, maybe not a uk 5 star but still excellent. Staff can't do enough for you and all are v friendly. Beautifully maintained and spotlessly clean.
Food : considering they are feeding over 1000 people 3 meals a day the quality and variety we found very good. Huge choice especially with the al a carte restaurants. The BBQ was our usual choice.
Pools : don't bother with the getting up at 6am to put towels down (wish they'd ban this practice!) trust Momo the lifeguard to find you some loungers! He's a star! Good variety with 3 pools between lively for younger children and relaxing for those that don't want the entertainment.
Beach: one of the best I've been to. Lovely white fine sand. Gentle shelf into the Sea. Gorgeous.
Trips : only did 1 to the market. V busy. Hectic. Worth going? Maybe for the experience.
summary : a big thumbs up from us. Thank you to all the staff who make this hotel a great place to stay.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family