“good fun” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 123 Hotels in Hammamet
Old Harlow, Essex
“good fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

we have just come back from our first holiday village experiance, and overall it was very good. i will start with a few negatives. the pre book check in at gatwick was busier than the normal but it still didnt take to long. be prepared for a very long wait at passport control in tunisia it took us 70 minutes. however our bags were waiting and we went straight to the bus. the beds are very uncomfortable. we arrived at midday to a nice welcome with coctails and we was checked and in our room within 5 minutes. we had a family den room which was plenty big enough with a great sea view. the room was spotless all week it helps to tip the maid early. the complex is big and well laid out with several pools of various size and noise. our choice was relax pool which is where momo lives. for a small drink he will sort your beds out for you everyday, but you will always get a bed. the grounds are well kept and very clean. the food is very good i wont repeat what has already been said,my only moan would be some of the beef was a bit chewy. it helps if you have a good waiter as they will keep you topped up with drinks etc. ours was amir who was brilliant. My son joined the megastars which was very good plenty of different activitys everyday . he only did one a day and they generally lasted about 90 mins, you could stay and watch or leave with the excellent reps. he also joined the football club withWallace and Joe who were very good. if you didnt want to use clubs there is plenty of activitys laid on. or you can spend all day doing nothing. The beach is excellent and the water sports are very well priced. The evening entertainment was hit and miss, early evening was aimed at smaller kids and unless you have them stay away. then there is games and dances with the very good Davey and Carley who whether you like them or not work very hard. most of the shows are in house with the entertainment team who are very good. some of the shows were good others not so. They had one uk act a week flown in we had a comidian calledTam ryan who was very funny he worked with the kids but with plenty of stuff for adults. second week was a guy called miki travis, i didnt like him he was very dated and predictable. after the shows you could go to the lobby bar for cocktails and a pop quiz which was a good way of mixing with other people. the drinks were ok not the strongest but at least you didnt have loads of people rolling around drunk. there is a market that comes in every monday be careful as a lot of the stuff is very bad knock off. and once you ask a price they will not leave you alone. a small tip if you take cash the reception do not charge commision. we had a great time and will definatly go to another holiday village. if you book here you will have a great holiday, i find it hard to see what some of the bad reviews see. hope this helps

• 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
6 Thank Bald-keeper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful place!
Room
We booked a swim up room and wasn't disappointed! It was so clean a large enough for our family of 4. My children 6 & 9 had a great time in the pool and enjoyed making friends with the neighbours! The towels were replaced every day and the room was cleaned every day. We had a stocked fridge and a movie on the tv every day for when we were getting ready for dinner.

Resort pools
The pools in the resort were brilliant although the subbed situation needs addressing as I actually had a man and woman shout at me for taking their subbed a even though they hadn't put a towel on to reserve it. I was very upset that they used language around my children that is unacceptable. So we ended up staying in our room pool where I had my own sunbed.

The food was amazing a different theme every night and a BBQ too! We had some lovely waiters especially Amir who was there with a smile every day. We sat on the pool area to eat every night which was lovely! The best bit was that the ice cream was on a cone and not in a tub and we all loves it.

Flight

This was the only let down as the resort was so good but we were delayed 1 1/2 hours on the way and my husband has a severe nut allergy and I told the flight attendant and they couldn't understand and sold loads which could have brought on an attack! Luckily no one bought any by us but this was not acceptable and it happened again on the way home.

Apart from that what a fantastic hol

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Michelle H
Whitstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Really lovely hotel, excellent clubs, high wire available and other activities included in the cost. Plus one of the first all inclusive where ice cream was available for the kids which was good. The entertainment was largely directed toward younger kids up to about 9 yrs old. and by the time the evening entertainment came it was a little hit a miss - 1 day we had an excellent comedian other nights we had the reps singing which happened too many nights we would have preferred a bit more variety. But it wasn't bad! The hotel is a bit away from everything apart from a few shops which you could walk to in about 7 mins and were a third of the price of the hotel shop. The excursions to choose from were rubbish we did not hear a good word about any of them in the hotel. The worst trip was the camel and quad bikes being operated by a man who wandered around the hotel. I was informed that these took place next to a rubbish dump and were scarily not safley organised. Proof of this was seen by a teenager hobbling around the hotel after coming off the quad bike and not provided with helmets. The flumes and pools were great and the highlight of my kids holiday and the club reps were all fantastic and could not be more helpful and friendly. If I had younger kids i would definitely do a holiday village again, unfortunately at 12 and 14 they are just not the right ages to enjoy everything that is on offer.
By the way smaller type beach towels are provided by the hotel and changed every other day of you holiday (something i could not work out before going!)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
4 Thank jwillia
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

The holiday village was great, however the flight in both directions by Thompson were terrible. We arrived in plenty of time for our flight from Gatwick, however the baggage drop queue was longer than the normal check-in queue. I assume they saved money on us printing out our tickets and boarding cards! We almost missed our flight because of the delays. The flight back was no better, you can buy food on the flight, one assumes another cost saving measure. The departure announcement stated everything was in stock. however when they got to us in row 11 most things were sold out. Absolutely shocking as our last meal was 6 hours before with a young child. The staff on the return flight were surly and had limited understanding of customer service, the request for water for my son was greeted with compete disdain. Do not fly with with Thompson.

Room Tip: Do not fly with Thompsons
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Alexander1961
Elgin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Recently returned from this hotel. We were in manar 2 which was perfect, close to activity pool and then quiet at night as music was in manar 1 :-) Cannot fault cleanliness, towels and beds changed often and mini bar stocked every 2 days :-)
Food was of good variety, myself and my daughter are very fussy and not once did we have any problems :-). We expected it to be busy as peak season but never had to wait for a table and by the end if our holiday our regular waiter had our table waiting with drinks at the ready! Only issue we had was with regards to diet juice as hubby is diabetic, we asked for a bottle to take to room and bar staff were quite reluctant so instead we just asked for 4 glasses and they quickly realised it was easier just to hand us the bottle :-)
We went on pirate ship - daughter loved it unfortunately both me and hubby were sea sick :-( although seeing dolphins made it more bearable! Visited frigia park, upset the tour guide when we said we were getting a taxi back, he was extremely rude and didn't listen demanding we get bus back! Apparently when we didn't appear he was very angry!! Daughter got to feed giraffes so she was delighted :-)
First choice reps were brilliant, knowledgeable and very helpful, also swim coach Lauren was very friendly :-)
Special mention to razzmatazz teachers Lacey and Craig :-) my daughter loves these guys :-) 3 sessions and she was in tears having to say goodbye :-( they were a big part of making this holiday one of our best :-)
The main positive of this hotel is the fab entertainment team :-) Carly, Sarah, Davey, Dave and Flo!!! These guys work soooo hard from morning till night making sure u have a fab time! Always making sure ur happy and having fun :-) Carly even came in early to do my daughters hair for her last razz show :-) they are a very dedicated team who are always full of energy! They made this holiday for my daughter, lots of tears when leaving, although she did have her favourite (thanks Carly) she did love them all and still does her i5 live dance every night before bed :-)
We would love to return to this hotel but have a feeling our next holiday village will be wherever they send Carly and Lacey :-)
5 star from us :-)

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank TheThomasfamily09
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I don't know where to start...This hotel is a family holiday dream. I do agree that with some reviews that it is not a 5* hotel, but without hesitation it is worthy of a 5* rating for a family holiday.

The hotel is amazing. We had a sea view family room in the Manar 2 and the view every morning was worth the little extra. The children, aged 4 and 6, had the twin room with a TV and then we had a separate double bedroom. The beds are so comfortable and when requesting extra pillows, they appeared almost instantly. The toilet room and separate shower/ bathroom was immaculate and always spotless. The shower is so powerful- I miss it now I am home. The cleaners are wonderful, and I never had any comments to make about them, only positive. It was my husbands birthday while out there, and they noticed his cards in the room. When we returned to the room about a day at the pool, he had created a heart shape and a swan out of a towel. in addition to this, the mini bar was always well stocked with soft drinks.

Now the food....The food is wonderful. There is a different theme every night, with fresh fish such as Tuna steaks, Large prawns, being cooked constantly, The BBQ outside is great and I can highly recommend it. At times it can be busy in the buffet, but when the hotel houses over 1000 guests, it is to be expected but you are never waiting for more than 1 minute if you are waiting at a busy station. In addition to the themed food, the BBQ, the salads, the dessert carts, icecream man, fresh fruit and the fish, there is a pasta station, and also a children self service area. There is a variety of different areas to eat also. Outside, on the area above the pool, provides a great place to eat if you wish to avoid the hussel of the restaurant. ( Befriend the BBQ man.... he will always cook you from fresh while you wait!) We were there 14 nights and had no reason to visit the A-La-Carte. My children were always happy to try something new, but could have reverted to normal pasta if they wanted.... De-heading king prawns has become a favourite meal time hobby!

At Breakfast time, you will not find bacon ( for obvious reasons), but you will find an amazing selection of cereal, pastries, fruit, different breads, freshly cooked pancakes, french toast, omelettes and to make your morning, take a trip to see the Crazy Egg Man.....

It is the attention to detail that is worth noting, the fact there are large cushions for the smaller children to sit on, to make meal times a more enjoyable family experience.

The Tunisian restaurant staff need to have positive mention. They work so hard, smiling and attentive from Breakfast through to evening. They recognise you and your family, providing a personal feel in a busy environment. We have to thank Ramzi, Sami and All ( to name but a few) for the service we received during our stay. We also need to thank the bar staff at the Pool bar of the evening ( down next to the amphitheater), they are fantastic and even at 23.58pm, they still smile at you as if you were the first customer of the day.

The facilities for the children are second to none.... I need to say a MASSIVE thank you to Glenn and Lauren, the swim academy instructors. My 2 were non swimmers when we arrived, with my eldest hating the deep end on day one. With their support and expertise, they are now swimming.... completely unaided with the confidence to throw them self into the water and swim. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

The Entertainment team are AMAZING!!! The i 5 live show was an essential must for my 2, and then the family show after provided them with equally as much fun. Rarely, were they in bed before 11- 11.30pm, as they were having so much fun. The team work tirelessly, from day time entertainment around the activity pool and through to the evening. Carly and Davey know the 100's of children by name, and will go over and above to ensure they are all happy and that they holiday is a memorable experience. We have come home and needed to collect most of the songs on Utube, and the dance moves and practiced 2-3 times per day.... every day!!! The different nights make the entertainment stand out from other all inclusive we have visited in the past, with a beach party, BGT John Clegg performing, Tam Ryan entertaining, not forgetting the shows by Carly, Dave, Sarah, Flo.

The kids clubs were also very good. The children are in different age groups and the activities are specifically aimed for their entertainment. There are sessions running throughout the day, but mine liked to attend 2.30-4pm, more so to get out of the sun for a while. I need to mention the rest of the First Choice representatives as well- they are always there to answer a question, no query too small and it is the small actions such as making sure somebody was there to say goodbye to us- I'm not sure if that was just the service we received as a family, but it meant alot to us!

The staff on the high rope adventure are so supportive. My eldest had a wobble half the way round and needed help and support to complete it. Jo and Adam were fantastic and made him feel so comfortable that he wanted to try again but unfortunately time run away from us on the last day.

The pools are great and there is a spot for everybody. There is so many beds, and it is unusual to not find one. The grounds have been well planned, with so much natural shade if you want it from the palm trees. The different pools are suited for all. We spent the majority of our time in the relax pool which is brilliantly designed for families with young children as half of the pool is 0.6 meters, and then the ends increase to 1.4mters with under water steps... (hard to explain but wonderfully planned). The aided bonus of the relax pool is the care and attention you receive from MOMO..... Momo is the life guard for that pool, and he makes it his business to ensure you have an amazing holiday! On my husbands birthday, he decorated our beds and sung happy birthday to him us we arrived. He also gave the children water inflatables, an inflatable jet ski and a dolphin, which is a great touch as it meant i did not have to buy them!

If you have got this far, It is only fair to mention the spa. I visited twice for a back massage. She was fantastic. I really wouldn't worry too much about the packages, as the massage was great. If you are hoping for a gentle ' tickle' on your back- think again. I had knots worked out of my back that I didn't even know were there.... best massage I have ever had.

We went on the Pirate Ship adventure- it is a good day out, but our day was a little rocky- however that's not First Choice fault. The large jelly fish meant the swimming was cut short but all of these disappointments were equaled out on the return trip when 3 dolphins were spotted and the pirates, 'called' them closer to the boat. Seeing them made the trip 100% worth while, but it was a rare event so don't go out expecting to see them.

We also needed to visit the doctor/ nurse while there as I had a nasty insect bite on my leg which became infected. I was seen instantly, treated, he collected the best cream I have ever used, and all for 15 TDN ( £7ish)..... and my leg was better in 24 hours.

The area outside of the hotel is not great, but unless you need a cash point, there is very little need to leave. If you want to explore the immediate area, there is not alot to see but we had no need to go anywhere.

Location
10 Thank LucyF1979
Northwich, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was our third holiday village and, by and large, was the best we've experienced. We booked a swim-up pool which was a very good investment - particularly as we stayed during peak holiday time. Typical stuff for August really:
- Beds around pool being reserved ridiculously early (but this is where our sunbeds by our own pool were an absolute godsend!)
- Peak times in main buffet restaurant were obviously very busy, ie: at breakfast time there were quite long queues for pancakes and fried eggs.
The GOOD stuff:
- Food in main buffet restaurant was varied and plentiful. Anyone who moans about this food must have "fusspot" written all over them!
- Tunisian and Indian a la carte restaurants were good and we didn't have a problem booking in.
- Although areas near main pool and quiet pool were busy, the sunbeds weren't crammed together as we've witnessed at other Holiday Villages, and if you weren't bothered about being near main pools there were always sunbeds available on the beach.
- Cleaning of rooms was outstanding.
- Wine, beer and all alcoholic (local) drinks were fine.
- Staff were generally very helpful and friendly.
- Spa was fantastic for body scrub / massage.
- My son attended the Football Academy and enjoyed it very much.
- The poolside activities weren't too mad and you could get a bit of peace if you ventured away from the main pool area (there is a lot of "green" space if you want a bit of quiet time).
The BAD stuff:
- Tennis racquets were poor (falling apart, bad grips, strings not good) and you could only reserve a court for 45 minutes.
- Gym equipment was poorly maintained (ie: couldn't adjust running machines / buttons didn't work) and no air-con in there (crazy!!)
- Outside toilets required more regular cleaning during daytime (although they had a board up saying it was cleaned every half hour, I really don't think this was happening - bins overflowing, floor dirty, etc).
- I bumped my head quite badly going down the water slide on a ring (water tipped me over) - be careful!
- Don't bother paying the extra to go to the Steak a la carte - we didn't go as some others we knew did go and they weren't impressed at all.

In summary, we enjoyed the holiday but won't return. (I would possibly return if we could go out of the main school holidays, but we can't due to our son.) Tunisia as a country is quite poor, so when you venture out of the complex there's not much to see except for a lot of litter. There is a small resort area within walking distance, but we didn't try any outside restaurants.

Room Tip: If you can afford a little extra, a swim-up room is well worth it! You share a pool with the room n...
6 Thank Amanda K