“HAPPY KIDS”

Ranked #2 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Carterton, United Kingdom
“HAPPY KIDS”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Our first all inclusive experience and a good one at that! The kids have come back exhausted and havent stopped for the time spent there 24/08 to 01/09 2014.There is plenty for them to do my children are 9,7 and 6. Ithink if you have teeenage children this may not be the place to go although we didnt take on the water sports etc at a cost.
The first choice staff work very hard keeping eveybody entertained but my main credit goes to the local workers who work flat out and and do it with a smile even if they dont understand sometimes nothing is to much trouble.
The kids felt comfortable ordering at the numerous included bars (Bilel) at the activety pool i never saw him stop.
The food was exceptional always plenty to choose from an diverse in choice.
The rooms, linen were clean and the air conditioning although slghtly noisy kept it at the correct temperature.
Dont leave the resort though nothing to see and very run down,i wouldnt feel confortable taking my two girls there.

Room Tip: Try and get Manar 2 ground floor you can walk 20 yards from door to the activity pool it worked fab...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014

My family, 2 adults & 2 children - 4 and 7, stayed at this hotel from 21/8/14 to 28/8/14 and the whole experience was fantastic!! ALL of the staff, including holiday reps to the maids, were 100% committed to ensuring that all the guests are 100% happy!! ALL were genuine in their committment as well. Mo-mo at the relax pool and Amir with his smiles are two of many names that should be mentioned. Lauren and Glenn, the swim teachers, are OUTSTANDING! If Ofsted visited them they would defo give them that grading - believe me!! Thank you Lauren and Glenn!! The hotel strives for keeping the hotel neat, tidy and clean. The groundsmen are always cutting the grass, cleaning the paths, pools etc... and attending to the grounds. The staff are always tidying their areas. Pools and slides are great and we could not get our 7yo son away from them!! the beach is also great and very well priced - the kayaking is free as well!! Food was good and plenty to choose from - pizzas were scrum!!

The ONLY 'gripe' was the 'sicky' smell in the lobby bar, especially next to the bar itself and the door leading out. On arrival in the evening and the following morning it did make me feel sick. However I would say that it's the smell coming from the milkshakes being served and perhaps the odd spill here and there - so sour milk. It wasn't as strong towards the end of the week - but this REALLY does need to be addressed!

This was a superb holiday and one full of memories!!

We would come here again but we now want to experience other Holiday Villages. I think it would be hard to beat this one though. If anyone could suggest a holiday village for us to try out next year I would really appreciate it - especially if you have been to this one and experienced others!!

KJJC

Room Tip: We stayed in Manar 1, 4th floor. Great sea views and a great view of the hotel.
8 Thank P8764GOkevin
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We have been fortunate enough to have visited many 5 star all-inclusive hotels and hence have the ability to make comparisons, we have mixed feelings about Holiday Village Manar and have overall given it three stars, it has strengths and weaknesses which I talk about in a moment.
However, let me start of with the airport experience. Our flight landed in Enfidha at 11pm in addition to another two flights. Thus there where three flights worth of passengers at the airport and shockingly there was only 2 passport counters open for the first 30 minutes before others started to open and the mad rush to get to the front began. Please make sure that you have a completed landing card as they will send you to the back if you have not filled them out, moreover make sure to retain the second part of the landing card that they will tear off for you, as they need this when you exit the country. Overall, it took us an hour and a half to get through, plus if you’re a non white British Passport holder be prepared to explain where your family originated from (something I find annoying being a third generation British Asian)…. Due to the long wait at the Passport counter, our bags where waiting for us at the baggage belt, once through customs, there are plenty of ATM’s machines and two mobile phone shops which where closed when we arrived. We where met by our reps who directed us towards our coach and the journey to Holiday Village Manor began, the journey took about an hour.

So here our views of the strengths and weaknesses of the hotel

Hotel Strengths
- A huge variety of free children activities and the KID club is great
- The beach is amazing , REALLY AMAZING..
- A children friendly serving during breakfast/lunch/dinner
- Customer service, the staff cannot seem to do enough, because of our initial negative experiences, we where given a complimentary Jet Ski ride (saved us 75 dinar)

Hotel Weakness
- Value for money, not worth the price tag it demands
- The rooms are dated, but the sea view rooms, does provide you with a stunning view of the beach.
- Our flight arrived early in the morning and no food was offered initially, however, after talking to a staff representative and then a manager, we received two baguette for a family for four. :-/
- Competition for sunbeds is stiff, especially for poolside sunbed, the pool attendants tend to reserve the sunbeds for customers who pay them in advance…
- The booking of a la carte needs to be a day in advance and if you go for a week you will miss out on the steak bar experience (which you have to pay extra for)..
- You have to pay for a safety deposit box (this is the first time we had to pay for one especially in a hotel that claims to be 5*)

Overall would I go back again to Holiday Village Manor, Maybe, would we go back to Tunisia, YES.

Room Tip: - Be willing to tip to get a quick service - Wake up early to get your sunbeds - Relax pool is not...
3 Thank DenisShukur
Cumbria
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We decided to try a Holiday Village this year, as friends of ours rave about them. We certainly weren't disappointed! We chose Manar due to the short flight time, proximity to the beach, water slides and 5* rating, plus the good reviews on here. We stayed for one week (20th Aug -27th Aug) two adults and two boys aged 12 and 5. We stayed in Manar 2 which was great, and the free wifi was excellent there.

Good points - Friendly hotel staff and first choice staff. Excellent room (family room with sea view) large, clean and air con was a blessing. Some people have commented on the beds being too hard, but we found them to be really comfy. Great weather......hot, but with a welcome breeze. Entertainment is good and varied. Lobby bar is nice if you want a quieter evening and the two guys who sing in there are really good, plus the cocktails are lovely in there. Loads of activities for children. My two didn't really get involved, but there's no pressure which is good. High ropes were great. Beach is lovely, with plenty of water sports which are payable. Plenty of pools and towels provided. Swim Academy. Free wifi was a godsend for us. I must remember to give the choco latte dance a mention! Excellent! Also, no mosquito bites which was a massive good point, as I was plagued by them in Cyprus last year.

If I had to choose the best parts of the holiday I would say the room, the pools, the beach, the free wifi, the Lobby Bar and the Swim Academy. I'd read great reviews about Lauren and Glenn, which were spot on! Glenn was lovely with my 5 year old son Ethan and had him swimming without armbands in no time at all! Awesome!

Bad points - We weren't too keen on the food. Like others have said the dining area had that "school canteen" feeling about it and my boys lived on plain spaghetti with French bread, however they are extremely fussy eaters. We all suffered with "dodgy tummies" during our week unfortunately. I think we were spoiled by delicious food and a different dining ambience during our last holiday, so we couldn't help but compare. It would have been nice to have been shown to a table, rather than wandering around looking for a clean one.

Sunbeds.......my husband had to put towels on at 6.30am to get next to the pool where we wanted to be. This seems to be the norm everywhere these days though, but getting up that early on holiday is a pain.

Water slides look great, but my husband and 12 year old son only went on them once. They both complained about how uncomfortable they were, bumps hurting your body, feeling every join in the slides. Our hotel last year had mats and inflatable rings provided for the slides, which was much better. Maybe an idea to have these here too? We spoke to others who commented on how uncomfortable the slides were too. What a shame, because the slides were one reason why I chose this particular Holiday Village as they appealed to my 12 year old son.

My only other negatives would be the men trying to sell you things on the beach and the fact that you have to pay 30 dinah to use the safety deposit box for the week. Surely this should be free?!

Despite the negatives, we had a great holiday and are hoping to go to another Holiday Village next year. The positives definitely outweighed the negatives at the Holiday Village Manar. We probably would come here again, but we're keen to try a couple of other Holiday Villages now.

Thank you to everyone who helped to make our holiday an enjoyable one.

Room Tip: Wifi was great in Manar 2, family room with sea view.
4 Thank Fletchers120
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

The hotel is lovely and certainly better than menorca holiday village, this is due to the way the three swimming pools, snack bar, changing cubicles around the pool are laid out. It gives the impression that the resort is far less crowded that the 800+ rooms would suggest.
You also have five all inclusive bar, one pool bar in the activity pool, a snack bar, beach bar, lobby bar and entertainment bar (only open from 7th for the I 5 live shows). yes the Only bar serving glasses is the lobby bar but It is surly better that plastic cups are used then kids cutting there feet or glass in the pool.

The snack bar was really good and was used by a lot of the guests meaning that you don't need to get changed to eat lunch. lunch was served from 1230 to about 4 is and included burger, hot dog, Pizza, wraps, chicken nuggets with chips and salad. ice cream is served from about 12 to about 5pm, and comes in about 4 different flavours and in a cone.

I personally found the food to be of good quality with fresh food being coowed whilst you wait, such as omelets at breakfast, pizza at lunch and steak at dinner time. There is also a bit outside which is worth a visit. There is a waiter service for drinks where beer, soft drinks or wine is served. There is a custom that the waiters should be tipped a few dinar every few days to ensure good service. There is a different theme every night from fish to gala, however I did find that the food didn't necessarily change to reflect the theme. on fish night there was only 1 type of fish being served. Although the waitems get dressed up and there is live music. I would say that the food at this restaurant is not to the same standard as menorca.

There are four ( including the slide pool) pools around the resort. Activity pool is where the reps do the entertainment, such as quiz and pool aerobics. The second pool is referred to as the kids pool however it is the deepest, but there are two small splash park pools for toddlers. Slide pool with 5 slides ( minium hight of 110cm). lastly the relax pool, where the famous momo lifeguard works. My only niggle about the pools are the sun loungers, with the typical putting the towels out before first light. I'm sure some people were putting towels out before going to bed, or putting them out and going on a trip for the day. I'm sure with some small measures the hotel could sort this problem.

The beach in my opinion along with the beautiful grounds was the jewel in the Crown, with lovely golden sands and slopping sea. There was always sun loungers available. There were also water sports from free kayaking to bannana boat for 10 dinar to jet skis for 70 dinar. There was also fantastic security who kept the lookey lookey men away.

Wifi in the hotel was very good working by the pool and in my room.

An excellent part of the hotel was the cocktails before, and after if you want and the piano being played until 7ish.

Kids den room manar 1, 5th floor.

I found the rooms to be adequate and reasonably clean, with great views of the grounds and the ocean. Although there is no balcony in the kids den rooms, you can dry swimming suites on a washing line over the bath. Having stayed last year in a room with a balcony and sofa beds, I can safely say that I preferred the kids den. The reason for this is that the children actually stayed in their beds and had to be woken up, so clearly they were comfortable. The room does come with a small fridge, which is stocked with water and milk. I believe you can tip the cleaner for wine or beer to be added, however I didn't feel the need. The room also comes with a small hdtv in the kids den and main bedroom. With various news, music and a children's film channel where they change the film once a day. There is also tea and coffee making facilities.

There is a safe in the room, but it costs 50 dinar for two weeks. Having just spent 4.5k for a holiday I felt I was being rinsed paying for the safe.

The only complaint I would have is that You can hear quite loudly the entertainment from I 5 live and the singer / guitar until midnight.

Kids club
The kids really enjoyed attending kids club which was really well run and never appeared really busy needing you to attend 15 minutes before it started. My children only went half a dozen times but they did go to sweet bingo and the chocolate party. These two are run at 1930 and 2100 at additional cost of about £5 but it does mean you get an evening away from the disco to enjoy yourself at the lobby bar.

There are also activities for the whole family to enjoy including archery.
Swimming academy was excellent with excellent instructors. We had the 5 lessons spread over the two weeks which was nice.

Razzmatazz stage schools was really good, and an excellent way for my daughter to meet people her age over 6 hours spread over three days. The course ends with a show during I 5 live.

Excursions

Me and my daughter did the legends of tunisia excursion which cost 131 dinar. The coach collects you at 7.30 and we arrived at the El Jim at about 10 am, spent an hour at the colloquium before driving again for an hour. lunah was at a restaurant and was set menu of soup, chicken rice and chips and then ice cream. We then drove another 20 minutes to the ex presidents mausoleum. We spent 30 minutes here prior to getting the coach to the marina. 1 hour shopping and then the coach home arriving about 7 pm. I list everything here to highlight the amount of time spent on the coach, about 7.5 hrs.

A lot of people mentioned enjoying the zoo and zulu experience, however I didn't take the opportunity to go.

Local area.
The local area is worth a visit with a number of gift shops. The main items on sale being pottery, leather goods, fake sun glasses, Beats headphones and football shirts. There is a nice little shop left out of the hotel and then right At the T junction, Just before the train tracks called Hannibal boutique. A football shirt is about 15 dinar about £5. Although shopping city near the bowling alley is worth a Visit, selling fake Hugo boss shirts. You can walk here or get a cab for 5 dinar, or 10 min walk. A lot of the shops have lookey lookey shop keepers who can be a little off putting.
A market does come to the hotel, but please don't use this and I shall give two examples why. hotel market you can pick up a wooden crocodile for 60 dinar (after bartering) at the little shop mentioned above 13 dinar. football shirt At hotel was 80 dinar, little shop 15.
One night we got a cab to the bowling alley (5dinar) and four of us had one game for 28 dinar. We also bought four soft drinks for (15 dinar) The alley wasn't up to western standards with polished balls and greased lanes but it was playable, and made a change from I 5 live for one night.
The local area is quite dirty with rubbish everywhere but this appeared to be throughout the country.

Again excellent holiday and I would attend again. But not quite the luxury the five stars would suggest. As many presenters said during the entertainment 5ts not 5 stars.

Room Tip: The restaurant and lobby bar are in manar 1.
7 Thank jonathan p
Old Harlow, Essex
Reviewed 29 August 2014

we have just come back from our first holiday village experiance, and overall it was very good. i will start with a few negatives. the pre book check in at gatwick was busier than the normal but it still didnt take to long. be prepared for a very long wait at passport control in tunisia it took us 70 minutes. however our bags were waiting and we went straight to the bus. the beds are very uncomfortable. we arrived at midday to a nice welcome with coctails and we was checked and in our room within 5 minutes. we had a family den room which was plenty big enough with a great sea view. the room was spotless all week it helps to tip the maid early. the complex is big and well laid out with several pools of various size and noise. our choice was relax pool which is where momo lives. for a small drink he will sort your beds out for you everyday, but you will always get a bed. the grounds are well kept and very clean. the food is very good i wont repeat what has already been said,my only moan would be some of the beef was a bit chewy. it helps if you have a good waiter as they will keep you topped up with drinks etc. ours was amir who was brilliant. My son joined the megastars which was very good plenty of different activitys everyday . he only did one a day and they generally lasted about 90 mins, you could stay and watch or leave with the excellent reps. he also joined the football club withWallace and Joe who were very good. if you didnt want to use clubs there is plenty of activitys laid on. or you can spend all day doing nothing. The beach is excellent and the water sports are very well priced. The evening entertainment was hit and miss, early evening was aimed at smaller kids and unless you have them stay away. then there is games and dances with the very good Davey and Carley who whether you like them or not work very hard. most of the shows are in house with the entertainment team who are very good. some of the shows were good others not so. They had one uk act a week flown in we had a comidian calledTam ryan who was very funny he worked with the kids but with plenty of stuff for adults. second week was a guy called miki travis, i didnt like him he was very dated and predictable. after the shows you could go to the lobby bar for cocktails and a pop quiz which was a good way of mixing with other people. the drinks were ok not the strongest but at least you didnt have loads of people rolling around drunk. there is a market that comes in every monday be careful as a lot of the stuff is very bad knock off. and once you ask a price they will not leave you alone. a small tip if you take cash the reception do not charge commision. we had a great time and will definatly go to another holiday village. if you book here you will have a great holiday, i find it hard to see what some of the bad reviews see. hope this helps

6 Thank Bald-keeper
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful place!
Room
We booked a swim up room and wasn't disappointed! It was so clean a large enough for our family of 4. My children 6 & 9 had a great time in the pool and enjoyed making friends with the neighbours! The towels were replaced every day and the room was cleaned every day. We had a stocked fridge and a movie on the tv every day for when we were getting ready for dinner.

Resort pools
The pools in the resort were brilliant although the subbed situation needs addressing as I actually had a man and woman shout at me for taking their subbed a even though they hadn't put a towel on to reserve it. I was very upset that they used language around my children that is unacceptable. So we ended up staying in our room pool where I had my own sunbed.

The food was amazing a different theme every night and a BBQ too! We had some lovely waiters especially Amir who was there with a smile every day. We sat on the pool area to eat every night which was lovely! The best bit was that the ice cream was on a cone and not in a tub and we all loves it.

Flight

This was the only let down as the resort was so good but we were delayed 1 1/2 hours on the way and my husband has a severe nut allergy and I told the flight attendant and they couldn't understand and sold loads which could have brought on an attack! Luckily no one bought any by us but this was not acceptable and it happened again on the way home.

Apart from that what a fantastic hol

Stayed August 2014